You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wjp120

Helpful actions that aren't rewarded by XP/credits?

21 comments in this topic

Members
88 posts
4,991 battles

Are there times that you feel you or another player have done a lot to help your team win, but you/they got very little reward according to the game's algorithms?

For example, say you happen to be playing an AA cruiser near your team's CV on the less active side of the battle. Say you take every shot you can while stating between your CV and the enemy, and the enemy CV decides not to attack your CV because you were a deterrent. Say this psychological play leads to a win. You don't shoot down a single plane, but the potential that you could have and your positioning caused a possibly game-winning threat. But because of bad luck, you get very little XP and credits.

Are there other actions that can lead to a low reward, but helped the team win?

[FOG]
Members
378 posts
5,115 battles

Another obvious one is, for example, a DD smoking up a teammate. This can be a huge benefit to the player and the team when one can settle in this smoke and blaze away in relative safety for a minute or so.

[H_]
Members
1,222 posts

Or, DD's that screen a wall of battle and get very little damage and yet, not a single torpedo got to the wall of battle !   Or, spotting as you screen...........you took all of the real risk and the BB's got all of the real damage and credits...

• Cool 1

[OKM]
Members
160 posts
2,297 battles
32 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Or, DD's that screen a wall of battle and get very little damage and yet, not a single torpedo got to the wall of battle !   Or, spotting as you screen...........you took all of the real risk and the BB's got all of the real damage and credits...

Spotting torp could well become a sources of XP when they do not hit.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
784 posts
13,340 battles

32 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

This.   + perma spoting.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

Contesting caps should be rewarded. Risking your neck to contest the cap all match, preventing the enemy from getting it or gaining points from it.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
14,849 posts
11,307 battles

Taking one for the team, so that the points don't roll over to 1000 or 0, so that more damage can be farmed.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,202 posts
8,979 battles

And then there are the battles where people "think" they are being helpful and really hurt the team.  Like the "AA Spec" Montana yesterday in my game that decided to hang out with our tier 10 CV and provide AA support.  :Smile_amazed:

• Funny 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,298 posts
4,981 battles

giving smoke to cruisers so they can help with DD fight,spotting ships and contesting caps.

in the end,WG will still reward simple "big numbers means i'm the best".

• Cool 1

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles

Overall this game does a poor job at rewarding players for things that aren't damage, kills or actually taking the cap. I have seen it many times where players absolutely won the game but were very low on the score board. This in reality is the reason why ranked is so bad.

• Cool 1

Members
88 posts
4,991 battles
Just now, Kevs02Accord said:

Overall this game does a poor job at rewarding players for things that aren't damage, kills or actually taking the cap. I have seen it many times where players absolutely won the game but were very low on the score board. This in reality is the reason why ranked is so bad.

So, does the current reward system teach bad habits?

Members
1,626 posts
8,563 battles
1 minute ago, wjp120 said:

So, does the current reward system teach bad habits?

100% It promotes selfish over cooperative play. One of the main reasons I like CW, your only objective is to win the game, no one gets any more or less rewards. It all depends on the win or loss.

[FOG]
Members
378 posts
5,115 battles
1 hour ago, DJC_499 said:

Another obvious one is, for example, a DD smoking up a teammate. This can be a huge benefit to the player and the team when one can settle in this smoke and blaze away in relative safety for a minute or so.

I try to "Compliment" the DD during game play, as possible, to show that I do notice and appreciate their contribution but also realize that is not adding actual points to their score.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
754 posts
7,316 battles

I don't mind laying smoke so my BBs / Cruisers can help push a cap ... it can make a big difference in the early game when first contesting.  But you're lucky if you even get a thank you or Karma point in appreciation sometimes.  So the real question is ... how does WG determine when someone has actually contributed in a positive way to a battle ... even when it may not be a win.  I don't think it's not that they disagree or don't want to reward "contribution" ... but the mechanics are the real nut to crack.  

[TDRB]
Members
1,808 posts
6,111 battles

There are many "for the team" actions that cost you rewards & some get you sunk.  This is one reason "team play" suffers in this game, many are after the rewards only. I play mostly coops & ops. In coops it is every man for himself.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
302 posts
4,069 battles

Helping win boosts xp over what you get if you lose. even if you potato an win you get better xp than losing

Members
88 posts
4,991 battles
2 minutes ago, Ron4ja said:

Helping win boosts xp over what you get if you lose. even if you potato an win you get better xp than losing

I don't know.  I've had plenty of wins with less than 300 base XP. One win today gave me less than 550 total XP even with camo and premium time.

[WAG]
Members
1,492 posts
8,481 battles

Many of  actions sited in this thread ARE rewarded, but becasue how that is done is hidden, we do not know what percentage of what applies to anything.

If WG would disclose how a score adds up, what action results in what amount of XP reward, it would forestall a lot of the questions people have about how actions are rewarded , or not rewarded.

WG has the answer.

[5BS]
Members
5,656 posts

Landing the first fire/flood that causes the target to use DCP, and then a teammate lands the next 3 fires/flood and kills them. You should get some kind of feedback whenever a target uses a DCP on a fire/flood you started, especially if immediate follow up effects result in their death.

Edited by _RC1138

[H_]
Members
1,222 posts
2 hours ago, Y_Nagato said:

Spotting torp could well become a sources of XP when they do not hit.

I've dodged hundreds of torps 5 or 6 K from the wall of battle that gave the BB's ample time to react and not get hit....  As some one said "taking one for the Gipper" isn't too far from a screening DD reality and I have been damaged and destroyed screening........for relatively "nothing"....