You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

How to play the atago?

18 comments in this topic

Members
277 posts
5,772 battles

Just got the Atago b in a BF crate and was wondering how should she be played? I know that the Atago has been in WOWS from the start and that It is a great ship. Other then that I don't really know how best to use here. My exp with cruisers is the leander, perth, Fiji , Atlanta and the Kronstadt. Would love some advice. TIA

[WOLFB]
Members
2,058 posts
9,472 battles

Basically:

-You use your concealment to close the distance and make up for that poor 15.7km range. 

-You shoot, you angle. Atago is fairly tanky

-You don't want to be chasing but kitting. 

-HE is really good but don't be afraid to use AP against broadside cruiser.

-You have heal so don't be afraid to take some damage

-Your torps have really good arc and with concealment build you can stealth torps.

-AA is garbage so don't expect to be shooting down playes. Def AA can defend yourself for a moment but don't sail alone.

-Farming BB is really easy but don't neglect DD and CA.

Atago is one of those ship that can work well at pretty much all tier but it need at least a 10pt captain and someone who doesn't give broadside all the time.

• Cool 8

[-SF-]
Members
240 posts
3,024 battles
26 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Basically:

-You use your concealment to close the distance and make up for that poor 15.7km range. 

-Your torps have really good arc and with concealment build you can stealth torps.

-AA is garbage so don't expect to be shooting down playes. Def AA can defend yourself for a moment but don't sail alone.

Atago is one of those ship that can work well at pretty much all tier but it need at least a 10pt captain and someone who doesn't give broadside all the time.

This is good advice, haven't really played around with my Atago B but have gone with a stealth build. Will give her a few games tonight with the above advice

[HYDRO]
Members
2,219 posts
4,185 battles
33 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

To add to that, unless you are in a suicide torp rush scenario, don't turn the whole ship around to fire torps if detected, or time your drop so you won't get much return fire. I see this happening a ton with RN and IJN cruisers. Not only do you advertise the fact you just dumped fish in the water, but you give quite a bit of broadside to do so, resulting in free citadels and Devastating Strikes.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[STAR]
Members
2,954 posts
8,064 battles

I like to play my Atago like a "stealth ninja", max out her concealment (9,1km) and ambush/skirmish enemy ships. Get close, dumb some shells at the enemy, maybe some torps too, if they start to target you just go dark again. Rince and repeat. This works well even when botton tier. 

Atago AP is also great, use it on every broadside you can find, its even better with the recent dispersion buff. Since the buff im able to murder enemy cruisers quite easily.

[SIDE]
Members
1,400 posts
9,461 battles

Don't play either late night or very early morning hours unless you don't mind constant uptiering to T10 games. The hardcore players are up grinding out their T10 legendary mods...otherwise alcatraz has good advice.

[TBOW]
Members
1,503 posts
11,405 battles

I play the Atago like a Heavy Destroyer.  Your guns are like rail guns, flat arcs, great for hunting DDs.  Those 203s hit hard (and just got an accuracy buff) which is why they have 13 second reload, and you will start a fire generally every other salvo.  Your AP will rip broadside cruisers apart, you will get citadels even near max range because of the flat arcs.  And against Broadside BBs you can do decent damage.  You are faster than most other cruisers (French get speed boost.)  Meaning you can run down a lot of ships (even DDs.)  Hydro is your friend.

Beta Testers
689 posts

I was gifted the Atago B and boy am I having a hard time with her.  I’ve been wanting Atago for a long time but now that I have her I am feeling like an amateur.  This is going to be one hard ship to master, or just get to decent.

Thanks for the advice.

[PVE]
Members
12,246 posts
8,459 battles
On 12/3/2018 at 7:41 AM, Xlap said:

I like to play my Atago like a "stealth ninja", max out her concealment (9,1km) and ambush/skirmish enemy ships. Get close, dumb some shells at the enemy, maybe some torps too, if they start to target you just go dark again. Rince and repeat. This works well even when botton tier. 

Atago AP is also great, use it on every broadside you can find, its even better with the recent dispersion buff. Since the buff im able to murder enemy cruisers quite easily.

Yes, this. Hang out around the detection range and go dark when focused. Try to come up to where you will be detected already angling to fire torps. Then kite and fire when focused.

[JASH]
Members
3,602 posts
9,145 battles

BTW, has anyone noticed a change in the sound of Atago's gunfire?  I played Atago last night because of the accuracy buff (very good, BTW) and the guns sounded quite different. More powerful is the best way I can put it.

Coincidentally, when I also played Belfast last night her guns sounded different too and even more odd, they sounded more like Atago's guns had originally. They sounded lees powerful than they used to. 

Edited by MrKilmister
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,944 posts
7,280 battles
On 12/3/2018 at 5:10 AM, AlcatrazNC said:

Basically:

Good advice, though a lot of it is not Atago specific and applies to most cruisers.

I'd like to expand on point one. Atago is excellent at sneaking up and suddenly dumping on a cruiser/DD with AP/HE salvo, or wrecking a BB that's looking the wrong way. The gun range is quite low, but if you play your cards right it's the other ships that are trapped in that 15.6km circle with you, not the other way around :) Also, dont hesitate to start going dark at the first sign of trouble, full stealth atago allowd you to do that in a lot of situations.

And never, ever sail in straight lines. Atago drivers have a reputation for doing that, so if you dont zigzag you'll eat citadels all the time from people like me.

Members
39 posts
2,182 battles

I also have a super destroyer method with Atago. Kiting is a pleasure in this lady with her conceilment and torpedoes. It's great in ranked battles and uptiers quite well.

Members
1,497 posts
7,780 battles

Keep it out of coop unless you like eating citadels from bots with their godlike aim and cheater dispersion values. The IJN cruisers generally don't do well when focused. 

[PVE]
Members
12,246 posts
8,459 battles
10 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Keep it out of coop unless you like eating citadels from bots with their godlike aim and cheater dispersion values. The IJN cruisers generally don't do well when focused. 

I play co-op 90% of the time and ALL ships are good in co-op. Atago is fine for co-op.

Members
5,098 posts
3,082 battles

Against battleships: harass at max range and use concealment to escape if you're under threat or are being focused too much.

Other cruisers: Can use the above strategy, or use your concealment to get in close, use your good AP for massive damage but stay angled because your citadel is large and sits high.

DDs: Just obliterate them with HE, take careful shots because of your long reload though.

Meanwhile always be looking for opportunities to use your long range and high damage torpedoes, people will often not be expecting them from a cruiser.

Beta Testers
450 posts
10,048 battles
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, GrimmeReaper said:

13 second reload

16 seconds, not 13. I wish it was 13! Atago is a great ship, does well at all tiers, which is why it basically hasn't been changed since it was released so long ago.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,247 posts
15,762 battles
On 12/3/2018 at 2:10 AM, AlcatrazNC said:

Basically:

2 things I want to add to this.

First is a general Cruiser deal.  When you're spamming shells to try and rack up damage, you need to know when it's time to stop firing and "Go Dark."  Atago, as with many Cruisers, especially IJN Cruisers which are literally floating citadels.  The Cruisers and Battleships she faces in High Tier are the most dangerous at-range in this game.  Zao, Hindenburg, Moskva, DM, Kronshtadt, Iowa / Missouri, Montana, Izumo (yes, she has excellent gunnery), Yamato / Musashi.  Even some of the "brawlers" throw out a lot of shells.  GK, Alsace, JB with MBRB going.  They throw a lot of shells and you need to know when it's time to stop firing before these ships find their mark.

Second is an IJN Cruiser deal.  It's a common mistake with newer IJN Cruiser players that in desperation to launch torps, they do so while spotted, flash their sides to launch, and get deleted in the process.  Atago has more forgiving launch angles than most IJN Cruisers, but she still has to show a lot of flat sides to launch, especially if trying to launch an entire side of torps.  That is how new Atago players get deleted.  Preferably drop while in stealth as AlcatrazNC said, or drop while detected if you're lost in a crowd of ships and nobody is targeting you.

Some players look for Cruisers doing desperate torpedo drops and will wait to punish you for it.

All that stuff and from AlcatrazNC's post, I wish I knew how to do when I was a new player and got Atago.  Back when my highest tiered ship was Tier V, I bought both Atlanta and Atago as my first Premium Ships.  I salvaged Atlanta's stats after too many awful scrub games in her, but I have yet to do the same with Atago.  I had gotten better with my play, with IJN Cruiser play in general, but again, I have yet tried to salvage my Atago stats.  It's going to take too much work :Smile_veryhappy: