Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Atom_Alchemist

The HMS Hood, Should i get her

41 comments in this topic

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,012 posts

So, ?I have enough doubloons to get a premium ship. I greatly enjoyed the Warspite and i have the duke of york, and several other premium BB that I enjoy. Should i get the HMS hood while it's on sale? 

EDIT: I have decided against getting her folks. I will save my doubloons for any christmas discounts instead. Thank you all for your feedback regarding this ship. Y'all have a good one now y'all hear!

Edited by Atom_Alchemist

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,668 posts
10,496 battles
10 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

So, ?I have enough doubloons to get a premium ship. I greatly enjoyed the Warspite and i have the duke of york, and several other premium BB that I enjoy. Should i get the HMS hood while it's on sale? 

She's kinda like a Tier 7 Kongo, very fast, and lives and dies by angling. If you like that style of play, go for it.

[SIM]
Members
3,008 posts
4,790 battles

The Hood is a different beast from either Warspite or Duke of York. Her guns are actually inferior to those on Warspite, but she has decent speed and armor as a trade. You’ll get the most out of Hood by sailing her more like a CA, using your speed to outflank targets, and using her guns to put penetrating hits into the upper belt armor of other BBs (instead of aiming low for citadel hits). She’s also good at eating cruisers.

If that style of play sounds appealing to you, then pick her up. She’s a beautiful, unique ship with a proud and tragic history. 

• Cool 1

Members
7,723 posts
8,041 battles

If you don't play cruisers really well, then I'd stay away from Hood. She's a BB that might as well be a cruiser, she is, after all, a battlecruiser. She's challenging to do well in, even for good cruiser/bb players. Many players overextend in her a lot, due to her speed, and then she eats HE and cits and dies. 

I happen to like her, myself, however, I also do well in both cruisers and battleships.

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,012 posts
4 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

If you don't play cruisers really well, then I'd stay away from Hood. She's a BB that might as well be a cruiser, she is, after all, a battlecruiser. She's challenging to do well in, even for good cruiser/bb players. Many players overextend in her a lot, due to her speed, and then she eats HE and cits and dies. 

I happen to like her, myself, however, I also do well in both cruisers and battleships.

damn, i was hoping that wasn't the case, i'm getting better with the heavy cruisers of the american line, but i'm not that great of a heavy cruiser player.Thanks for the feedback y'all, i think i'll keep my doubloons banked until some of the other ships go on sale in game

[WORX]
Members
2,552 posts
13,870 battles

Waste dubs on ship that is your play style and you're going to spend time playing. IF your a collector of ships then yes get her.

If not what ends up happening, you have a a very cute port queen.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,357 posts
10,910 battles

you also have to remember she has that simi-AP so she won't hit as hard as other BBs. Hoods a cruiser/DD killer. 

I'll let Yuro explain!

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
761 posts
6,794 battles

If you already have the Warspite and DoY I cannot think of any reason to dump money/Doubloons on this ship.

if you must get a UK BB then wait for a 1:35 EXP conversion sale and get the Nelson.

[FARQD]
Members
482 posts
6,864 battles

If there was a way I would have transferred it to you. Wait for Christmas and like last year they might sell most premiums for doubloons and with a good discount. 

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,012 posts
Just now, galspanic said:

If you already have the Warspite and DoY I cannot think of any reason to dump money/Doubloons on this ship.

if you must get a UK BB then wait for a 1:35 EXP conversion sale and get the Nelson.

Yea this is sorta my line of thought on her, The only reason i was considering her is i have a doubloon discount on her right now discounting her to 6700 dubs, and i have 8200, but i was kinda wanted the communities input on her before i bite the proverbial bullet

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
680 posts
5,879 battles

I like this vessel at T7 and id say get her. The discount for dubloons is nice and makes it a good purchase.

I like the OP have the Warspite and DoY and the Hood plays differently and its a nice collection piece as well to complete the RN premium fleet.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles

- IMO, unreliable main battery in terms of accuracy.

- Less AP penetration than Tier VI Warspite's AP.

- Garbage Secondaries as is typical with the vast majority of RN BBs.

- AA is pretty mediocre except in very short ranges and when Defensive Fire is available.

+/- Short fusing of AP shells.  Less Overpens on Cruisers, but Citadels on BBs can be problematic.

+ Fast

+ HE spammers as they try to go for your superstructure, some shells will naturally land on the deck.  Hood's deck is very thicc, and lots of HE will Non-Pen there.  Hood is the only (IIRC) RN BB in the game that has a thicc deck to mitigate raw HE shell damage you take.  Practically every other RN BB has 32mm or less decks and eat HE damage like it's cool.

+ While AA is generally mediocre, she has these AA rocket systems.  The effective range is short, maybe 2km at best even with AFT if I remember.  But Hood has a special Defensive Fire which buffs only this specific AA weapon system, nothing else, and the DPS skyrockets and shreds everything in that range.

The strengths of the ship are pretty good.  She is actually tough, which surprises people because they think of Hood's destruction and imagine she'll be easy to 1-shot.  My only real problem with the ship is the wonky accuracy.  If this was better, she'd be freaking amazing for Tier VII.  I could live with the weaker AP, but the accuracy to me was very annoying.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,357 posts
10,910 battles
2 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

If there was a way I would have transferred it to you. Wait for Christmas and like last year they might sell most premiums for doubloons and with a good discount. 

that or throw the dice with the loot boxes. WGs system is way better than other companies. last year I got 3 ships from containers! (sims which gave me doubloons, Blysk, and a smith):fish_aqua:

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
716 posts
6,212 battles

No. Bunch of cross-eyed drunks in those turrets. You'll have good games in it if you're a good player JUST LIKE ANY OTHER SHIP, and you'll farm A LOT of Fireproof/Dreadnoughts....but you won't be trading damage like you will want to be and you won't be having fun like you want to be. Lots of better premiums out there. In fact, the only premium I regret buying more is the Duca. Says a lot.

Edited by HeathenForay
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,456 posts
9,384 battles
37 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

31 minutes ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

damn, i was hoping that wasn't the case, i'm getting better with the heavy cruisers of the american line, but i'm not that great of a heavy cruiser player.Thanks for the feedback y'all, i think i'll keep my doubloons banked until some of the other ships go on sale in game

Krim's gonna flame me but I disagree :P. I'm terrible at the kiting cruisers (and he knows it!) but I think I do alright in Hood. Main difference is that she won't eat random cits when angled like most T7 cruisers and is therefore quite durable if played properly. She is also very fast, faster than a handful of cruisers, and can therefore control engagements as long as she has the map space. I agree with another earlier comment that she plays like the Kongo. Tier for tier she probably has worse guns but better agility than the Kongo. She is not at all like the Warspite, which is more of a mini Colorado, and how much you like the Warspite probably has no correlation to how much you would like the Hood. 

Edited by pikohan

[BRO1]
Beta Testers
359 posts
6,717 battles

The Hood is yet just another vial plot thought up by THE MAN to keep a Brother Down!

[ARP3]
Members
483 posts
11,103 battles

Her guns are inconsistent, its frustrating to play that ship and until she gets better fuse on those ap shells she will sit in port as a decoration.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
3,259 posts
15,153 battles
1 hour ago, Atom_Alchemist said:

A good place to start if you are looking at premium ships is mouse's reviews here on the forums:

Then you have youtubers like Notser & Flamu who do video/game play reviews on each individual new release.

[INTEL]
Members
9,241 posts
26,899 battles
17 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The strengths of the ship are pretty good.  She is actually tough, which surprises people because they think of Hood's destruction and imagine she'll be easy to 1-shot.  My only real problem with the ship is the wonky accuracy.  If this was better, she'd be freaking amazing for Tier VII.  I could live with the weaker AP, but the accuracy to me was very annoying.

Pretty much all this. At short range she is harder to cit than at medium range. If like a flowing fast playstyle and the ability to reposition to where you are needed, Hood is for you. 

You should also look at your other T7 BBs. My Hood is a port queen because I love my Lyon, Ashitaka, KGV, and Nelson more. Like DoY a lot too, but never play it. Sold my Nagato and Colorado because I never even thought about playing them. 

Edited by Taichunger

[_-_]
Members
1,571 posts

There are lots of choices, and Hood is not your basic generic BB.

Personally, I like the fast mid-range shoot-and-scoot cruiser style she excels at.

You don't need to bother with AA builds, because most CV players generally leave her alone knowing they will pay dearly thanks to her unique  instant squadron delete Defensive AA consumable.

I run a survivabilty build, and she's really quite tanky if you mind your angles.

[WOLFC]
Members
545 posts
1,556 battles

Hood was a good ship (armor wise) prior to the Bismark battle. Only weakness was her stern deck armor, which unfortunately was where the initial explosion happened that sank her.

[DRACS]
Members
4,043 posts

Hood is an amazing ship if you know how to play her. She's my favorite ship to play, in fact.

Very resistant to HE spam, very resistant to AP volleys when angled. Her guns have weak pen, but have that incredible USN CA style improved auto bounce angles, meaning she can shred even well angled ships. She absolutely shines against german BBs, *especially* Scharnhorst. I loooove seeing enemy Scharnhorsts on the enemy team when playing this ship.

Her accuracy is ... interesting. She only has a 1.8 sigma on 8 guns, which is meh, but her base dispersion is really good, so she'll still land more shells than not.

She's also very fast and fairly responsive on the rudder.

Edited by KaptainKaybe
  • Cool 1

[KEGEL]
Members
137 posts
6,507 battles

Hated the Hood. The wonky accuracy and crumbly shells do my head in. The whole Brit BB line (including the tier 6 & 7 Prems) is trash imho with 2 exceptions,  the KGV & the Conqueror.

The Vanguard sort of looks interesting as it has reasonable accuracy & proper shells. Probably never purchase tho as I've already completed the BB line.

Sign in to follow this