Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LL_JuneBug

Alternate, and or Last Construction versions of ships.

7 comments in this topic

[BRO1]
Beta Testers
366 posts
6,731 battles

I like that they are putting in ships like West Virginia, however I would love to see either alternate, and or options to be able to get or work up to having the ship in the 1944 rebuilt construction version. I like playing Colorado and dont mind her to much in her configuration as she was refit with single 5 inch guns in her last condition. Dont get me wrong I dont think that it would make Wee Vee have to climb a tier but it would be a much better AA platform that how she is in the game now. I just think that she hit her epitome in the last build. I was somewhat impressed at how much time and money were spent on rebuilding, rearming, and modernizing the old Battleships during that time, and just went to show the slow understanding and appreciation of the aircraft carriers. 

I also know that there were 4 classes of standard type U.S. Battleships that came before Colorado consisting of 9 Battleships starting with Nevada. that means that World of Warships could model at the minimum of 5 and the maximum of 13 battleships, or choices of therein. Of course there are already 4 of these ships with 3 of the classes now in the game. We all no this is not likely to happen and at this point would be a nonsensible request. I have thought that they could have the option of choosing ship names, IE like lets say on Arizona you could choose Pennsylvania. Especially because they were basically Identical ships for the most part. 

Now, again I am happy to see New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and now West Virginia in the game, and it might get tedious or what some people would consider ridiculous to have a battleship from all 5 standard type classes. With there already being 3 represented in the game though they would only need to put either Nevada or Oklahoma in for that class along with the choices of Tennessee or California for their class. Yes I know that a Tennessee with 12-14 inch guns would be redundant to New Mexico and would be the same tier I'm Sure along with Arizona, but for the love of money and keeping us History Channel buffs pumping more of our pay checks that direction I believe it would be worth it to them. And Yes, once again I would love to be able to play them in the original build and the last refit build also. 

Oh I almost forgot to mention the first South Dakota class. The six Battleships that were axed due to the Naval Treaty. BB's 49 through 54. They were going to be slightly larger Colorado's with 12-16 inch guns. (Yea, You heard me right) Twelve 406mm 50 caliber mark 2 guns. The same guns that were on the Colorado's. Just 4 more of them. They would have been considered that last Standard Type U.S. Navy Battleships. I think one of these babies could be a tier 8 easy, and or possibly a tier 9 depending on the aa suite. The speed I think would be their worst attribute at a planned 23 knots. 

Anyway, let me know what you think. Would you like to see some of these ships with the most modern builds on them? would you like to see the option of using different names on the ships that are/were basically Identical? would having multiple Battleships in the U.S. Line just gum up the works, or make it more versatile with slightly different play styles like they have done with Alabama and Massachusetts? I think over time it would make the game more interesting and diverse.

601px-USS_West_Virginia_1944.jpgUSS West Virginia 1944

USS_Tennessee_BB43.jpgUSS Tennessee 1945

Model_of_South_Dakota_class_battleship.jpg1st South Dakota Class BB Model

bb-36-uss-nevada-9-1944-56a61b9b5f9b58b7d0dff37a.pngUSS Nevada 1945

Edited by LL_JuneBug
added ship names to pics.

[MOH]
Members
441 posts
1,716 battles

Between all of the USS Standards that aren't featured in game, Wargaming definitely has a lot of content to work with. 

Alpha Tester
11 posts
230 battles
On 12/30/2018 at 9:11 PM, OrbitalStrike47 said:

I really just want USS Pennsylvania 1945 and I'll be happy.

I just want an ingame way to rep my state... The USS Pennsylvnia was pretty baller and hs a pretty interesting history. Though it wasn't used much and if I'm no mistaken it suffered little damage in the attack on PH.

[MOREL]
Members
9 posts
1,034 battles
On 1/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, the3rdtiger said:

I just want an ingame way to rep my state... The USS Pennsylvnia was pretty baller and hs a pretty interesting history. Though it wasn't used much and if I'm no mistaken it suffered little damage in the attack on PH.

Yeah, at pearl harbor Pennsylvania took the least damage of any battleship due to it being refitted in drydock at the time. Even though it was by all means out of action when the attack broke out the crew raced back to the ship literally broke open the ammo boxes for the aa ammunition, being one of the first ships to open fire on the enemy, and provided covering fire in an ultimately futile attempt to cover Oklahoma and Arizona. Pennsylvania suffered one bomb hit directly to one of her aa gun mounts and a piece of the destroyer cassin's torpedo tube was launched into Pennsylvania's forecastle when the destroyer's torpedo armament detonated. Despite this the beast that was Pennsylvania only sustained light damage and a lot of superficial marks. The ship was refitted in 1942 which set it apart from her ill-fated sister in looks and effectiveness. Her entire superstructure was redone, all of her secondary battery guns removed and replaced with eight (in all, four per side) dual coaxial dual-purpose mounts, and they just threw absolutely every aa gun they could on it, they also outfitted the ship with the CXAM-1 radar, they also slightly shorted the middle barrels of the triple main battery guns to reduce dispersion. In 1945 they simply just threw on even more aa guns to a point where I think she had something like 110 assorted aa guns. At the end of the war it was crippled by an airdropped torpedo in the early morning while in harbor when a plane dropped a torpedo that managed to subvert Pennsylvania's impressive torpedo belt by striking to the rear of it destroying or disabling most of Pennsylvania's propulsion systems. Eventually in 1948 it was decided that it was uneconomical to try and fully repair the ship and it was sent to the test fleet in Kwajalein Atoll and used as a target ship for two 23kt nuclear warheads. It survived the blasts but was intentionally scuttled upon determining the ship unsafe due to radiation. It rests on the bottom of Kwajalein Atoll a forgotten hero of the second world war and nobody has ever found the wreck. 

[PVE]
Members
7,233 posts
12,486 battles

The more the merrier.

I would assume down the road they will do a line split with US BB if for no other reason than to add something new to the game. We still have NJ and Wisconsin for T9 and the Montana class had 5 planned ships so an alternate/split line T10 is there for use if they tweak something to make it a bit different like maybe using the proposed but not authorized 18" guns (the other 4 of the class were Ohio BB-68 / Maine BB-69 / New Hampshire BB-70 / Louisiana BB-71 - I vote for the NH as the split line T10).

Alpha Tester
11 posts
230 battles

There was even a Pre-WWI version of the USS Pennsylvania and a Post-WWI USS Pennsylvania that was considered a Dreadnought Class Battle Cruiser, Later they redid the Beastly Lass to make her into a Beastly BB instead.

Sign in to follow this