You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Advice on how to make Akatsuki do anything positive

38 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
596 posts
1,423 battles

This is by far my worst ship.  I just can't make it do anything positive.  Do good in Leningrad, good in Sims and Jervis but Akatsuki just sucks.

Any advise for this boat?

image.thumb.png.afb7c2f24aef58ad637ac02de98ff874.png

[INTEL]
Members
9,241 posts
26,899 battles

Just sell it. It has been power creeped pretty badly with that ridiculous detection. It was ok when the enemies  were just  US DDs and Blys, which it outspotted. But now everything outspots it by large margins, especially when you are  uptiered.  I used  to open water stealth fire in it, but they took that away. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FAE]
Members
2,309 posts
2,881 battles

I could never understand why WG even put these t5-7 dds in. Completely minutely different from their splits, boring and no change in play style. Ignore guns and torps so you can be an xP piñata and take a year and a day to progress due to awful spotting rewards 

• Bad 1

Members
1,363 posts
47 battles

Git gud.

Learn to take advantage of her speed and concealment. Do not go deep into caps. Use guns as weapons of opportunity for now. Learn the strengths of three torpedo launchers. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles
29 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I could never understand why WG even put these t5-7 dds in. Completely minutely different from their splits, boring and no change in play style. Ignore guns and torps so you can be an xP piñata and take a year and a day to progress due to awful spotting rewards 

Did someone say spotting rewards?

Oops I dropped this again.

unknown-106.png

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

I liked Akatsuki, though I was a pretty experienced T7 destroyer driver by the time I played her. She is not exactly typical, but has some major strengths:

• 9 rapidly reloading torpedoes with 10km range, if forced to play more defensively you can drop a lot of torps from 7+ km, offsetting your poor concealment. You can also play with dropping the 3rd launcher after a delay or predicting a turn.
  • 6 guns, including 4 shooting direct astern as you kite people
  • Smoke and engine boost unlike Shiratsuyu
  • Good top speed at 38kt

You are a decent hybrid destroyer, you have 75% the DPM of a Mahan, better shell arcs and a configuration that lends itself to kiting them.

As a general rule the worst place for an Akatsuki is to be caught at close range or closing in on another destroyer. You don't want to be heading straight into a cap when the detected icon pops up and you find your T getting crossed by a better DPM destroyer. You want to assess the environment, go in at angles, look for ships to support, consider 'there is a Benson in that cap, I'll torp his smoke but I'm not going in there alone'. If you can reach a cap fast, get in, turn out and pre-position your guns to run and gun. An Akatsuki running at 40kt and wiggling to unmask the front turret every 8s is a tricky target. If you can trigger damage control use with a torp then consider smoking up to add a fire to their troubles - you have a 9% fire chance, USN destroyers have 5%.

From a quick look at your stats - you don't use your guns anything like enough. You average taking just 18 shots/game. That's 3 broadsides. I fired an average of 123 shots per game in my Akatsuki. The guns are not bad at all, and recently got even better.

Akatsuki is not necessarily an easy ship to use. You definitely need at least a 10pt captain, and I'd say 15 is a good step up from that again. All that said, as a 'toolkit' she has utility and options available.

• Cool 6

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,142 posts
7,981 battles
1 hour ago, BlailBlerg said:

Akatsuki is so different from Fubuki and Minekaze I highly question whether you played any of them.  She's the closest we have to the old tier 8 Fubuki.

• Cool 1

[MIA-E]
Members
2,696 posts
7,586 battles

Akatsuki is great. Awesome torps with super fast reload and lots of them for the tier, high gun alpha, decent conceal (not great but good enough with torp range it's good conceal). It rewards good positioning where you can take advantage of the torpedoes. Try to predict where enemy ships will be and be able to torp their position and broadsides. 

And regarding guns vs torps, it took me 33 games to get through the Akatsuki. I had 15 main battery kills and 32 torp kills in those games - almost 1/3 of my kills were with guns. They are a valuable part of the ship.

Once you start hitting T7, you start going up against players who aren't as completely fail vs destroyers as some of the lower tier players are. This makes playing torp boats harder.

Members
7,723 posts
8,041 battles
50 minutes ago, mofton said:

I liked Akatsuki, though I was a pretty experienced T7 destroyer driver by the time I played her. She is not exactly typical, but has some major strengths:

• 9 rapidly reloading torpedoes with 10km range, if forced to play more defensively you can drop a lot of torps from 7+ km, offsetting your poor concealment. You can also play with dropping the 3rd launcher after a delay or predicting a turn.
  • 6 guns, including 4 shooting direct astern as you kite people
  • Smoke and engine boost unlike Shiratsuyu
  • Good top speed at 38kt

You are a decent hybrid destroyer, you have 75% the DPM of a Mahan, better shell arcs and a configuration that lends itself to kiting them.

As a general rule the worst place for an Akatsuki is to be caught at close range or closing in on another destroyer. You don't want to be heading straight into a cap when the detected icon pops up and you find your T getting crossed by a better DPM destroyer. You want to assess the environment, go in at angles, look for ships to support, consider 'there is a Benson in that cap, I'll torp his smoke but I'm not going in there alone'. If you can reach a cap fast, get in, turn out and pre-position your guns to run and gun. An Akatsuki running at 40kt and wiggling to unmask the front turret every 8s is a tricky target. If you can trigger damage control use with a torp then consider smoking up to add a fire to their troubles - you have a 9% fire chance, USN destroyers have 5%.

From a quick look at your stats - you don't use your guns anything like enough. You average taking just 18 shots/game. That's 3 broadsides. I fired an average of 123 shots per game in my Akatsuki. The guns are not bad at all, and recently got even better.

Akatsuki is not necessarily an easy ship to use. You definitely need at least a 10pt captain, and I'd say 15 is a good step up from that again. All that said, as a 'toolkit' she has utility and options available.

What Lord Mofton the Great said. 10 points is very workable, 13 is better, and 15 is just aces.

Akatsuki is one of my favorite ships, decent guns, great torps, good speed. You need to use your guns more when you can get away with it, and learn how and when to torp launch.

Members
5,098 posts
3,082 battles
1 hour ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Git gud.

Learn to take advantage of her speed and concealment. Do not go deep into caps. Use guns as weapons of opportunity for now. Learn the strengths of three torpedo launchers. 

What concealment? Considering that IJN DDs are supposed to be stealthy torpedo reliant ships, her concealment is quite bad.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,854 posts
13,052 battles

Turn it into a Kitty. 

[SYN]
Members
3,259 posts
15,153 battles

It's a very good little DD you just need to leverage it's strengths and adapt to it's play style.

First step - Concentrate on surviving longer.    

• Don't charge the cap
  • Don't knife fight another DD
  • Don't sit in smoke spamming HE
  • Have an escape plan when you go into caps and be angled so you can simply accelerate out and not need to turn
  • Don't chase kiting ships to try to get a torp hit

Learn your torping angles and exploit them

• Learn the maps and where ships are likely to go
  • Position yourself to be able to send torps own these channels
  • Position yourself so ships are coming towards you
  • Estimate what ships will do when they see your first set of torps and send your next two accordingly

Get Concealment Expert asap if you don't already have it

Watch youtubers like Destroyer Kuroshiokai who go into great detail about DD tactics and will help improve our game.

Edited by Camo68
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,142 posts
14,469 battles
3 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

This is by far my worst ship.  I just can't make it do anything positive.  Do good in Leningrad, good in Sims and Jervis but Akatsuki just sucks.

Any advise for this boat?

image.thumb.png.afb7c2f24aef58ad637ac02de98ff874.png

She is my go to tier 7 DD. Set her up as a gunboat first and a torp boat second. She has speed, great guns even better since the recent buff.

Akatsuki.JPG

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
596 posts
1,423 battles
6 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

She is my go to tier 7 DD. Set her up as a gunboat first and a torp boat second. She has speed, great guns even better since the recent buff.

Akatsuki.JPG

Now you are just making me fell bad :)

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,284 posts
4,970 battles

harekaze and the gunboat line craps on the ijn torpboat line everytime.

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
596 posts
1,423 battles
2 hours ago, mofton said:

Won't argue with you there, but it seems they never fire.  I go to shoot and nothing, not like the Sims.  Sims is always ready to shoot and the Leningrad makes hitting targets so much easier.  I figured the only thing you could do in an Akatsuki was torp.

I will make an effort to use the guns more.

Beta Testers
1,142 posts
14,469 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

Yup but the line starts at Akazuki in tier 8....completely different animal.

• Cool 1

Members
1,363 posts
47 battles
20 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

Not really.

Akizuki, Kitakaze and Harugumo is more visible than the mainline DDs, and as long as you maintain map awareness you will never be caught by them unawares.

Beta Testers
450 posts
10,048 battles

I always liked the Akatsuki, Shima's little brother (or sister). 3 sets of reasonably quick loading torps is fun. Guns are good too.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,333 posts
8,949 battles

If it helps, Akatsuki is best thought of as the trapdoor spider. Choose your ambush carefully, stay cool when things go wrong, and rely on torps to make targets beach or present broadside to teammates. I've found this nasty DD best excels at luring reds into your teammates' ambushes.

Just be careful if CV's around, Akatsuki's AA is weak.

[FAE]
Members
2,309 posts
2,881 battles
4 hours ago, Seraphil said:

Akatsuki is so different from Fubuki and Minekaze I highly question whether you played any of them.  She's the closest we have to the old tier 8 Fubuki.

Okay. Enlighten us. I’d rather you be right and my thought be wrong. 

And yes. I had old fubuki and Kagero and don’t sniff the cool aid. So that’s enough suffering for me 

considering ng they all averaged around 22k avg dmg and the spotting game is the most whipped idiocy I’ve seen it don’t really matter to me how many more chances I get to miss. 

Edited by BlailBlerg

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,142 posts
7,981 battles

There's already multiple posts highlighting her strengths.  She has excellent speed and handling, good alpha for DD-caliber guns, and excellent torpedoes at 10km on three triple-launchers, which have the added benefit of fast reload due to how torpedo reload is calculated(reload time based on how many torpedoes in a launcher.)  The main downside to the ship is the mediocre concealment, but it's still more than enough to get the drop on BBs and cruisers, and against most DDs she can outrun dangerous face-offs.

Seriously though, the 3x3 arrangement for torpedoes is one of the best you can have.  It gives you a wide margin of firing choices on targets and how to mind-game someone into running into the third shot of torpedoes.

Members
1,363 posts
47 battles
5 hours ago, Seraphil said:

And I'll say Akatsuki prepares you for Shimakaze gameplay, as I sometimes see Akatsuki as Shimakaze-lite.

Members
1,363 posts
47 battles
4 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

What Lord Mofton the Great said. 10 points is very workable, 13 is better, and 15 is just aces.

Akatsuki is one of my favorite ships, decent guns, great torps, good speed. You need to use your guns more when you can get away with it, and learn how and when to torp launch.

How would you spec the 15 points for Akatsuki?