You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
hexeris

PvE guys

87 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
456 posts
10,134 battles

I have been playing a few PvE games lately, mainly for the RN event (just easier to get some parts done quick), and I've noticed a few times now that higher tier players still seem to want to hide behind islands or sit way back in their BB's. Not trying to be insulting but why? It's PvE, bots will charge forward, you know what they're going to do and they're not particularly bright.

I like PvE as I play hyper aggressive in it, full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes, no matter what ship type I play, except CV of course.

The only thing that annoys me in PvE is the bots sixth sense when torpedoes are fired at them...that's frustrating.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,089 posts
1 hour ago, hexeris said:

I have been playing a few PvE games lately, mainly for the RN event (just easier to get some parts done quick), and I've noticed a few times now that higher tier players still seem to want to hide behind islands or sit way back in their BB's. Not trying to be insulting but why? It's PvE, bots will charge forward, you know what they're going to do and they're not particularly bright.

I like PvE as I play hyper aggressive in it, full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes, no matter what ship type I play, except CV of course.

The only thing that annoys me in PvE is the bots sixth sense when torpedoes are fired at them...that's frustrating.

Some players are unable to adapt to PVE.

Some don't understand the differences, treat it like PVP, and hide, contributing nothing to the battle.

Some don't take it seriously, YOLO, get killed by the murderbots, and contribute nothing to the battle.

E: looks like one of them read this post.  :Smile_popcorn:

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 2

[WOLF9]
Members
7,664 posts
3,254 battles

There are different bot personalities, assigned by the MM.  The "charge!" personality is historical and seem predominant at the moment, but it's wise to figure out the red "strategy" before committing.  They will kill you if you do it wrong.

But bots aren't the biggest danger in PVE -- it is the green team.  The level of incompetence can be astounding at times.  A favorite of mine is half or more of the team going to seize A, then hanging there as if they had just won the battle.  Meanwhile, half the red team, including all the BBs, are assaulting the small green squadron at C.  Great recipe for a loss.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[USCC2]
Members
4,432 posts

Not trying to be insulting but why? It's PvE, bots will charge forward, you know what they're going to do and they're not particularly bright.

Not trying to be insulting but it's a game; you sound as if Randoms means more then Co-Op, when in fact they are both just a different game mode.

And with games people play how they want.

Whatever mode you play, know that the rest of the team may not want to play the way you do. If you don't take note of the battle going on around you and the way the team is playing you'll find yourself on your own. If that happens, whether Randoms or Co-Op, you'll be dead.

Edit: lol seems the truth hurts. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
100 posts
6,465 battles

On Wednesday I stuck to cve to rack up the British ship wins mission... And was team killed 4 times. In one day.

[SHEEP]
Members
200 posts
3,969 battles

Most of the time I get pve battles where there’s only two or three human players. As a bb in coop you have to be extremely careful because bots charge, and if you push right from the start you’ll just get bombarded by torps from multiple angles. If you die early it’s much less likely for your bots to win. Much more consistent to be patient and play it safe

[WOLF9]
Members
7,664 posts
3,254 battles
4 minutes ago, Q___________Q said:

Most of the time I get pve battles where there’s only two or three human players. As a bb in coop you have to be extremely careful because bots charge, and if you push right from the start you’ll just get bombarded by torps from multiple angles. If you die early it’s much less likely for your bots to win. Much more consistent to be patient and play it safe

If you are the only human player, you die early, and the match looks like a loss, immediately exit the battle back to port.  The battle will be ended and it will be recorded as a Draw.

[SALVO]
Members
18,406 posts
18,956 battles
13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

There are different bot personalities, assigned by the MM.  The "charge!" personality is historical and seem predominant at the moment, but it's wise to figure out the red "strategy" before committing.  They will kill you if you do it wrong.

But bots aren't the biggest danger in PVE -- it is the green team.  The level of incompetence can be astounding at times.  A favorite of mine is half or more of the team going to seize A, then hanging there as if they had just won the battle.  Meanwhile, half the red team, including all the BBs, are assaulting the small green squadron at C.  Great recipe for a loss.

I don't know how they assign these bot personalities, but this is an idea I wish they'd think about.  

They have a number of different bot commander names.  I'd suggest treating each of these as a unique "player", each having its own personality, perhaps even having its own personality relating to different ship types.  For example, the bot :Tirpitz: might be hyper-aggressive, while the bot :Yamamoto: might be more passive.  

Or perhaps have specific bot commanders for each ship type, like :Tirpitz: might always be a bot captain for BBs, while :Fletcher: might always be a bot captain for cruisers.  And adjust their personalities accordingly.  Or heck, if they wanted to get even more refined, have specific bot commanders for specific ship types and nations.  For example, bot player :Tirpitz: might command German BBs, while bot player :Halsey: might command USN BBs.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
18,406 posts
18,956 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

If you are the only human player, you die early, and the match looks like a loss, immediately exit the battle back to port.  The battle will be ended and it will be recorded as a Draw.

Yep, been there, done that.  The best thing you can do when you're the only live player is to hang back and let the bots fight it out, and support them from range as best you can.    It'll be almost impossible for a single live player to beat the entire bot team, so you need to hope that your friendly bots can do some  of the work for you.  And it helps if you can support the nearby friendly bots to help them stay alive.

Members
937 posts
2,399 battles
42 minutes ago, hexeris said:

Yeah i noticed the trend of this happening more myself. I used to like taking my Bismark out to fight in coop. Now when i que im the only T8 with mostly T10s most of the time and my t10s hang back and cower so i stopped playing the Bis as a result. IMO making the legendaries doable in coop was a bad decision since it seems like most people just easy mode to them in coop now might as well just give them away.

[WOLF9]
Members
7,664 posts
3,254 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

It'll be almost impossible for a single live player to beat the entire bot team,

I've actually done it.  All 8 reds dead. 

Okay, Tier 1.

[RLGN]
Members
9,458 posts
18,874 battles
49 minutes ago, hexeris said:

If unaware of it; tap 'X' to unlock just before you launch; not always, but it can confuse the bot programming and sometimes get hits.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
18,406 posts
18,956 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I've actually done it.  All 8 reds dead. 

Okay, Tier 1.

Seal clubber!    :fish_viking:

• Funny 2

[PTRGT]
Members
166 posts
25,871 battles

A lot of PVP players started playing higher tiers for the Legendary Mod missions for T10 ships many of them play PVE just like PVP .

Most regular PVP players will mix it up with the bots asap to keep the games short.

But I'm happy for the company before the Legendary Mod missions T8 to T10 was a ghost town in PVP

[_-_]
Members
1,595 posts
49 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Some players are unable to adapt to PVE.

Some don't understand the differences, treat it like PVP, and hide, contributing nothing to the battle.

^ This.

The one I love is the super-duper PvP guys that bring their ranked badges and uber clan tags to Co-op and go hide behind a rock and phone it in.

No worries, more targets for me.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[PTRGT]
Members
166 posts
25,871 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If unaware of it; tap 'X' to unlock just before you launch; not always, but it can confuse the bot programming and sometimes get hits.

What ticks me off is watching the Bot CV sending its planes to my DD when I HAVE NOT BEEN DETECTED. and follow me even if I change course multiply times.

I even had 7 bots chasing me all over the map (again undetected) but my team wasn't able to sink them  and we lost

• Cool 2

[_-_]
Members
1,595 posts
1 minute ago, DeathsStalker said:

What ticks me off is watching the Bot CV sending its planes to my DD when I HAVE NOT BEEN DETECTED. and follow me even if I change course multiply times.

I even had 7 bots chasing me all over the map (again undetected) but my team wasn't able to sink them  and we lost

Bots usually, not always, but usually go after the lowest HP target in range. CV has no range limit.

They don't need to spot you to know where you are (its kinda baked in), so the CV knows where to send planes.

Bot CV's are notorious for having OCD once they decide on a target, and will hound you the whole match.

Beta Testers
456 posts
10,134 battles
13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hey nice trick! I'll have to try that out:Smile_honoring:

[WOLF1]
Members
154 posts
36,261 battles
1 minute ago, DeathsStalker said:

This happens to me all the time. I swear that it seems like the bots are ignoring every other ship on the map and just chasing me.  

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,089 posts
Just now, oldblackdog said:

This happens to me all the time. I swear that it seems like the bots are ignoring every other ship on the map and just chasing me.  

When I'm in the right ship, that's glorious.  So many aircraft kills.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,526 posts
10,240 battles

Old habits, people tend to forget that in co-op that you have to be hyper aggressive to do well.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
154 posts
36,261 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

When I'm in the right ship, that's glorious.  So many aircraft kills.

Oh yeah, and it makes it fairly easy to complete mission objectives in coop. Need aircraft kills? Grab an American cruiser and wade in to the bomber swarms. Torpedo hits? Get a mid-tier destroyer and wave a flag at some 21 knot BB's. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,555 posts
19,392 battles
21 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

^ This.

The one I love is the super-duper PvP guys that bring their ranked badges and uber clan tags to Co-op and go hide behind a rock and phone it in.

No worries, more targets for me.

I think what many players forget is in co-op, you are really competing against your team mates for farming damage on the bots. There are times when the bots get the upper hand and you have to work harder or more as a team, but that does not happen too often. 

I always enjoy it when I see someone yolo off on their own or take cover. Like you said, more for me. 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,546 posts

Yep, definitely irritating when they do that.  Esp when YOU didn't get the memo, and pushed up as usual to get into brawling distance.

Since nobody else pushed, the bots all charged strait in- and now you're flanked and taking fire from 2 or even 3 directions.   (and dodging torpedoes from "Allies" who just spam them into the free for all...)

Nothing more exciting than a giant fur ball when you're playing a ship like Montana or Alsace!!  (or Black Mass)   Few things are as irritating as when you notice everyone else is 8+km away hiding in the back.  No wonder I'm taking so much fire...   What's the fun of playing a high tier brawler vs bots- who are perfectly willing to mix it up with you-  if the rest of the team thinks they're in a Random match?    I mean, come on- that's a DD and cruiser's dream, right?  A BB who pushes up aggressively, and takes some of the heat off of you?

Usually I just log out and come back later.  Often that'll mix it up a little.

[PVE]
Members
7,252 posts
12,516 battles
55 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Which counts in your loss colum