You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Multi-Purpose Porter

8 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,385 posts
8,248 battles

A fair amount of the forum should be well-aware of my dislike for the 127mm/38 used by the majority of the US DD line. But I wanted to throw out an idea for a potential US DDthat offers a degree of customization akin to the Harekaze that Japan got last year (and was removed from the premium shop earlier this year). Specifically I would recommend the Porter-class of destroyer leaders. They carried four dual gun mounts and two quad torpedo launchers giving them a rather formidable armament by in-game standards.

However, the option I would want to give them would be to allow players to choose what kind of guns could be mounted, choosing between the 127mm/51, 127mm/38, and the 127mm/25. The first of these was the primary secondary gun of the Standard-type battleships and currently serves as the stock gun of the tier V Nicholas. Depending of what tier this ship is placed at, it's RoF could potentially be buffed from it's current 6.5s reload. The advantage of these guns is their high (for the US) initial velocity and a bit higher fire chance. The downside is that they would not be dual-purpose. Everyone already knows the characteristics of the 127mm/38. And the final choice would be using the 127mm/25, which were the heavy AA guns of the US Navy until the introduction of the 127mm/38. While these have even worse initial velocity than the typical US guns, they also possess a very high RoF and fire chance.

Overall, these three guns choices combined with a decent torp loadout could provide a very versatile ship with several different playstyles that could be customized.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[VIKES]
[VIKES]
Members
560 posts
12,169 battles

I like the idea, and would support it.  But the 5" guns on the USN BB's RoF needs looking at as well...

[ARGSY]
Members
7,182 posts
4,874 battles

Wasn't the Porter history's Pink Ship extraordinaire? It should come with Captain Bad Advice and ten NEGATIVE experience points, the ability to lock onto friendly ships, etc. etc. 

With four twin turrets and classed as a destroyer, I think you'd probably find her at Tier 8 at least. You're looking at a ship with 33% more firepower than a Gearing.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,339 posts
11,865 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

A fair amount of the forum should be well-aware of my dislike for the 127mm/38 used by the majority of the US DD line. But I wanted to throw out an idea for a potential US DDthat offers a degree of customization akin to the Harekaze that Japan got last year (and was removed from the premium shop earlier this year). Specifically I would recommend the Porter-class of destroyer leaders. They carried four dual gun mounts and two quad torpedo launchers giving them a rather formidable armament by in-game standards.

However, the option I would want to give them would be to allow players to choose what kind of guns could be mounted, choosing between the 127mm/51, 127mm/38, and the 127mm/25. The first of these was the primary secondary gun of the Standard-type battleships and currently serves as the stock gun of the tier V Nicholas. Depending of what tier this ship is placed at, it's RoF could potentially be buffed from it's current 6.5s reload. The advantage of these guns is their high (for the US) initial velocity and a bit higher fire chance. The downside is that they would not be dual-purpose. Everyone already knows the characteristics of the 127mm/38. And the final choice would be using the 127mm/25, which were the heavy AA guns of the US Navy until the introduction of the 127mm/38. While these have even worse initial velocity than the typical US guns, they also possess a very high RoF and fire chance.

Overall, these three guns choices combined with a decent torp loadout could provide a very versatile ship with several different playstyles that could be customized.

Something to remember about the original twin mounts on the Porter, is they were single purpose mounts.  The battery was reduced to 5 guns when they went to DP guns.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,339 posts
11,865 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Wasn't the Porter history's Pink Ship extraordinaire? It should come with Captain Bad Advice and ten NEGATIVE experience points, the ability to lock onto friendly ships, etc. etc. 

With four twin turrets and classed as a destroyer, I think you'd probably find her at Tier 8 at least. You're looking at a ship with 33% more firepower than a Gearing.

You're thinking of the William D Porter.  That's a much different ship.  As far as the original USN team killer, San Francisco was the biggest team killer in the fleet.  She never fought a surface action that she didn't shoot up some of her teammates.

The original single purpose mounts could not match Gearings ROF, either.

Edited by crzyhawk

Members
1,107 posts
1 minute ago, crzyhawk said:

Something to remember about the original twin mounts on the Porter, is they were single purpose mounts.  The battery was reduced to 5 guns when they went to DP guns.

That is correct. Porter's original main battery were indeed 5"/38, but they were Mk. 12 single-purpose guns in the twin Mk. 22 surface-only mount.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,316 posts
9,621 battles

Considering the ballistic arc of the current 5" 38's and 5" 51's the 5" 25 would be a nightmare at anything over medium range for hitting.

[PVE]
Members
10,846 posts
7,979 battles

There was a post a few months ago about the Porter. I put forth this idea for it, but has 127mm/38 single purpose and dual purpose mounts. I guess you could replace the /38 with /25s, but I don't think that was historical.

On 9/27/2018 at 1:27 AM, Kizarvexis said:

Well the Porter class was built between the Farragut and Mahan classes as a DD leader at 1,850 tons (max WNT/LNT DD size). So figure 16,000 to 17,000 HP and similar armor layout to Farragut/Mahan.

She had 127mm/38 guns like the Farragut/Mahan, so 4s reload, 11.5km to 12.6km range, 1800 damage HE with 5% fire chance, 2100 damage AP, with 792 m/s velocity for both and 103m to 109m dispersion (or worse for balance). Figure the dual gun mounts will turn a little bit slower, so a 10-12 deg/sec traverse for a 15-18sec 180 deg turn.

You can go with these historical gun/AA layouts for 3 hulls.

For a A hull, you would have 4x2 127mm/38 guns (A, B, X, Y), in single purpose, dual mounts, no DP AA. You would have the 2x4 28mm/75 Mk2 AA guns from the Nicholas for the AA. (14 DPS at 3.1km).

For a B AA hull, you would swap the A and Y turrets with 127mm/38 Mk21 DP guns in dual mounts, so you would have 2x2 SP 127mm guns in B & X and 2x2 DP 127mm guns in A & Y. The 28mm guns would be replaced by 1x2 40mm Bofors Mk1 and 6x1 20mm Oerlikon Mk4  AA guns like the AA guns on the C hull Farragut. (13 DPS at 5km, 12 DPS at 3.5km, & 22 DPS at 2km).

For a C AA hull, you could Swap the A & Y turrets like the B hull with 2x2 127mm/38 Mk21 DP guns in dual mounts. Put a single 127mm/38 Mk21 DP gun in the X turret and in the B turret put a 1x4 40mm Bofors Mk2 like what is on the Texas. You would also have 1x2 40mm Bofors Mk1 and 6x1 20mm Oerlikon Mk4  AA guns like the AA guns on the C hull Farragut. (13 DPS at 5km, 3 DPS at 5km, 19 DPS at 3.5km, 12 DPS at 3.5km, & 22 DPS at 2km). This would have no SP 127mm/38 guns.

The Porter class had the same torpedo mounts as the Farragut, so just copy them over.

She could make 37 knots, so figure 35-36 knots in game and a 600m plus turning radius due to size. Figure a 3 to 5 sec rudder shift and I'm sure these could be changed for balance.

I would guess 7.8km to 8km base concealment to start, nerf'd/buffed accordingly.

I would like this a lot and I'm thinking it would be a T7 premium with turret traverse, maneuverability and/or concealment being nerf'd to offset the increase in HP and firepower.