You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Asym_KS

Kills Most Damage Dealt (KMDD)

23 comments in this topic

[H_]
Members
2,291 posts

In a few other games I've played, KMDD is used as a way to measure "significant" damage to specific targets....  I wonder why WG hasn't gone this route here?

The other night, I had the scarce opportunity to take a Huggy and focus on a BB from 17K out till he burned to the water line..............and yet, someone across the map, just before he exploded hit him with one shell..........I put over 350 rounds into him and fire took a bunch (three of them) and someone else got the kill.....   Being selfish, a little; but, "kills" have reward value, yes?!  There have been matches where I had zero kills and yet, on three or four ships my torps took greater than half to near fatal hit points.....

KMDD would show for torpedoes and secondaries  as well.....  I've seen Bismark's get in close and "eat" other BB's and yet, a stray DD or Cruiser, at the right time, got the kill....  Hundreds of secondary hits and secondary hit fires.....   Ever take your DD and torpedo mouse trap a CA or BB only to have someone else, get the kill just before they flood out?

I wonder, what are your thoughts on this?

[USCC2]
Members
4,778 posts

A kill is a kill; the end game is to win.

Now if the player was withholding his fire to secure a kill, and is willing to see team mates take damage or be killed to secure that kill - well he's a poor player but there you go. I'm sure there are times you secured a kill unintentionally, it happens. Be glad the enemy wasn't allowed to stay alive.

Unfortunately if there is a particular mission on it can be worse.

• Cool 1

[WDS]
Members
1,759 posts
8,844 battles

I think it evens out many times I have been lucky and got the last hit on a ship and sometimes I felt bad . But many times I have worked a ship over and some one else hit him with the last shot and got the kill . As long as we win I'm ok with it .

[TIGRB]
Beta Testers
2,601 posts
21,871 battles

Kill steal happens all the time, it's part of the game happened to me yesterday two or three times what comes around goes around

[INTEL]
Members
1,466 posts
12,028 battles

Kill securing saves lives. If you disagree, stop shooting that DD when you get him under 1k hp. Let that BB get one last salvo at one of your cruisers. Let the CV get another strike off. Fact is as long as a ship has one single HP for one second longer than it should it has a chance to influence a match. If I get a kill shot I'm taking it and I don't care if you've done 100k to that GK. I expect you to do the same. Annoying in the moment maybe but everyone is better off for it.

Edited by Ares1967
  • Cool 3

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,537 posts
15,711 battles

There is no such thing as kill stealing. If you can delete a piece form the board do it. all 12 have the right to shoot at any given target. Sure if you do 90% of the damage you want the kill.... But every time I have left a ship with low health and figured he would die while saving my shot for a juicier target, it comes back to bite me. ships at 1% still have 100% of their firepower.

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
664 posts
8,031 battles

At the end of the day getting the win is most important.  I've lost matches while being top scorer on my team before.  I guess there's some satisfaction in knowing I did well, possibly against the odds, since my team might have been more potato-heavy than the reds.  But I'd rather be on a winning team and not necessarily be the top scorer.  I was in a match last night driving Gneisenau and got three kills (2 CAs and a BB), but only did about 30k damage total.  I was just firing at targets when I spotted them.  I'm certainly not going to forego a shot (especially a juicy broadside) just because someone else on my team had already been working the target.  If I missed a chance to kill it, that might give it just enough time to launch torpedoes or get off a last salvo that detonates a friendly.

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
214 posts
6,325 battles

Yeah, all the prior comments are correct.

But it still stings to miss the satisfaction of an earned kill.   I know and have played with people that hold off on dying ships to time the kill shot.   It pisses me off.

[H_]
Members
2,291 posts

Ok agree with a lot of what you'all have said.  KMDD is a measure of "effective damage".....  A new statistic.  It's not really about kill stealing even though that's what happens and isn't a bad thing....  It really is about damage effectiveness.  Who really is carrying the damage effectiveness and it's a separate measure from kills.   If I were recruiting someone new to a clan, to be competitive, I'd love to see KMDD !!!  Who contently produces damage.....

Thanks for the reply's and I appreciate your time...

[5D]
Members
2,782 posts
17,139 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Being selfish, a little; but, "kills" have reward value, yes?! 

Kills don't not have reward value outside of the Kraken achievement and completing certain mission requirements. Damage dealt is how your XP is rewarded.

On the game sites, kills are factored into your personal rating but I don't think that should be counted at all since damage is already factored into the calculation. There are other game metrics from the team play section that would be more useful in coming up with a player's personal rating.

• Cool 1

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles
30 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

There is no such thing as kill stealing. If you can delete a piece form the board do it. all 12 have the right to shoot at any given target. Sure if you do 90% of the damage you want the kill.... But every time I have left a ship with low health and figured he would die while saving my shot for a juicier target, it comes back to bite me. ships at 1% still have 100% of their firepower.

APA_204 is correct. There is no such thing as kill stealing only kill securing. The fact of the matter is that you get more XP and credits for the amount of damage you rack up, not the amount of kills.That's how the game works. Having a high number of kills only count towards the HOF in the RN Event and that will be ending soon. As a BB main, I focus more on the amount of damage I can inflict. If I citadel another BB and take out 3/4 of their HP or citadel a CA and leave only a sliver of HP left to them, I have to wait anywhere from 34 to 15 seconds, depending on the BB I'm playing before I can fire again. If a teammate can secure the kill before my guns load up, then I would rather have them secure the kill, then give our opponent the chance to turn the battle against us. It's just that simple.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,498 posts
15,488 battles

You get far more experience in dealing more % of damage to a target than getting the last few hundred exp and kill.

• Cool 2

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
372 posts
4,518 battles

I believe you are also xp rewarded based on % of damage done so if you did the majority of it you did better in the end?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,883 posts
11,620 battles
3 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

In a few other games I've played, KMDD is used as a way to measure "significant" damage to specific targets....  I wonder why WG hasn't gone this route here?

The other night, I had the scarce opportunity to take a Huggy and focus on a BB from 17K out till he burned to the water line..............and yet, someone across the map, just before he exploded hit him with one shell..........I put over 350 rounds into him and fire took a bunch (three of them) and someone else got the kill.....   Being selfish, a little; but, "kills" have reward value, yes?!  There have been matches where I had zero kills and yet, on three or four ships my torps took greater than half to near fatal hit points.....

KMDD would show for torpedoes and secondaries  as well.....  I've seen Bismark's get in close and "eat" other BB's and yet, a stray DD or Cruiser, at the right time, got the kill....  Hundreds of secondary hits and secondary hit fires.....   Ever take your DD and torpedo mouse trap a CA or BB only to have someone else, get the kill just before they flood out?

You earn experience based on the percent of the targets HP you destroyed so that person that snagged the kill at the last second will only get experience for the tiny percent of HP damage they did and a very small bonus for the kill.

3 hours ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

Kill steal happens all the time, it's part of the game happened to me yesterday two or three times what comes around goes around

There is no true kill stealing in this game, red is dead and the only kill steal is a player holding fire to get the kill.

Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
56 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You earn experience based on the percent of the targets HP you destroyed so that person that snagged the kill at the last second will only get experience for the tiny percent of HP damage they did and a very small bonus for the kill.

There is no true kill stealing in this game, red is dead and the only kill steal is a player holding fire to get the kill.

Tiny % HP damage and small bonus for last second kill!  Yes indeed but a ton of players just seem not to know this. As you know majority (seems to me) of players never read the forums...or at least it seems like it.  For many people reading is a chore these days. 

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,051 posts

As someone who has gone on many times to sink several of the enemy team after my Gearing was reduced to less than 100 hitpoints, I can say that there is no such thing as "kill stealing" and that any non-sunk ship remains a danger to the team.

• Cool 1

[13TH]
Members
4,872 posts
8,358 battles
4 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I once saw a BB on fire low health and me at max range in my DD being pummeled,fired 1 hail merry round which amazingly hit the BB the only shot I fired at it and I got credit for the kill ... it’s also happened to me the other way around, so it works itself out

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,883 posts
11,620 battles
3 hours ago, dmckay said:

Tiny % HP damage and small bonus for last second kill!  Yes indeed but a ton of players just seem not to know this. As you know majority (seems to me) of players never read the forums...or at least it seems like it.  For many people reading is a chore these days. 

As is writing it seems. How often do we see posts here that look like texting with the only capitalization being at the beginning of a sentence and since there is not punctuation the only capital is the first word, AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

[H_]
Members
2,291 posts

So, after some great comments, LMDD would be a real excellent statistic to track since Kills aren't all that important......  What is important is you damage contribution and KMDD are damage contributions that are made up of the "majority of damage done to specific ships per match"......  Am I understanding this correctly:  kills produce minor additional rewards and damage is where the real value is?  If so, We should have KMDD because that is where the actual "value per ship" relates to efficiency...........pilots with high KMDD and High number of matches played are the real value producers........  Who care  how many ships you destroyed....

By the way, thanks for these responses because there are a lot of confused players out there.........some whom believe that kills are everything and then implode when they are 4 or 5th in the match summary with 5 kills and a Kagero is number 1 with 1 kill and a bucket full of caps and damage....  And, now I know.....

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,883 posts
11,620 battles
20 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

So, after some great comments, LMDD would be a real excellent statistic to track since Kills aren't all that important......  What is important is you damage contribution and KMDD are damage contributions that are made up of the "majority of damage done to specific ships per match"......  Am I understanding this correctly:  kills produce minor additional rewards and damage is where the real value is?  If so, We should have KMDD because that is where the actual "value per ship" relates to efficiency...........pilots with high KMDD and High number of matches played are the real value producers........  Who care  how many ships you destroyed....

By the way, thanks for these responses because there are a lot of confused players out there.........some whom believe that kills are everything and then implode when they are 4 or 5th in the match summary with 5 kills and a Kagero is number 1 with 1 kill and a bucket full of caps and damage....  And, now I know.....

If damage done by each player was included in the results people might understand this a bit better.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,962 posts
19,413 battles
7 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

You get far more experience in dealing more % of damage to a target than getting the last few hundred exp and kill.

This.

I've had Division games where my buddies in Zao, Hindenburg, some high DPM Cruiser get 140k, 160k, 200k damage.  My Montana only does 60k damage.  Yet I'm Number 1 on the team score page because my piddly 60k damage was done mostly against Destroyers.

People make it such a point to farm damage off of the ships that are most capable to withstand and recover from damage... BATTLESHIPS.  But in general, the REAL rewards are damaging and killing Destroyers.  Unless you see something like a broadside Minotaur or Roma and literally 1 or 2 shot that thing, damage done on DDs is more rewarding because their HP pool is the lowest.  Any damage done onto them is a bank robbery, basically.

"I did 60k fire damage to that BB!  Yeah!"

Me:  "Is it dead?"

"No..."

Me: :Smile_sceptic:

Meanwhile smashing Destroyers is way more important in rewards and the win.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,883 posts
11,620 battles

Where you and/or your targets are located, in or near caps, seems to have a big effect on experience also.

Members
718 posts
10 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Shoot until the enemy is dead, then shoot him again to make sure he isnt playing opossum. 

There is no kill stealing in WoWS.  You either help keep your team alive by making the Reds dead or not.