You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DocWalker

77 Years Ago

6 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
443 posts
6,262 battles

Friday will mark the 77th Anniversary of this "date which will live in infamy".   My dad and 3 uncles fought in WWII, 2 of them in the Navy.  So, this has always been a significant day of remembrance.  I was unaware of some of the other "hidden memorials" of Pearl Harbor, however, until I came across the article below, published 2 years ago.  I hope you find it interesting as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/12/06/hidden-memorials-pearl-harbor-oahu/94039116/

download (2).jpg

[BLHK]
Members
474 posts
3,673 battles
17 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Friday will mark the 77th Anniversary of this "date which will live in infamy".   My dad and 3 uncles fought in WWII, 2 of them in the Navy.  So, this has always been a significant day of remembrance.  I was unaware of some of the other "hidden memorials" of Pearl Harbor, however, until I came across the article below, published 2 years ago.  I hope you find it interesting as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/12/06/hidden-memorials-pearl-harbor-oahu/94039116/

download (2).jpg

I just saw the part in the article about the crane operator at the dry dock. I can't decide if he was incredibly smart, brave or downright crazy!!!!!

• Cool 1

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
1,903 posts
19,318 battles

Out of respect I've been putting the Flag out every Dec 7th for many years 

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
443 posts
6,262 battles
34 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

I just saw the part in the article about the crane operator at the dry dock. I can't decide if he was incredibly smart, brave or downright crazy!!!!!

As it says on the base of the Iwo Jima Monument ...  "Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue". 

From what I've read, there was a lot of that at Pearl as well.

edit: Checked my files for a photo I took of the monument inscription in Harlingen, Texas back in 2004.

IJ55.JPG

Edited by DocWalker
added pic
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,329 posts
9,639 battles
3 hours ago, MG1962 said:

The answer is yes, it takes all three to create a hero.