You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Do any of you believe in astrology?

28 comments in this topic

Members
2,134 posts
4,850 battles

Do any of you believe in astrology? Not just the sun sign stuff and your daily horoscope in the newspaper, but stuff that's a lot more in-depth such as your planetary positions in signs and houses, your Ascendant / Descendant, other mathematical points and midpoints, and asteroids etc. Took me a while to understand that we're a lot more than just the sign we say we are, because that's just our sun sign. Then there's synastry / composite charts for determining the compatibility between two individuals. I'm a Cancer with Aquarius moon and Sagittarius rising, apparently I have the exact same sun+moon+rising combination as the US of A but I'm not American.

As for me, my relationship with astrology is a bit complicated. I like to believe in free will, but I can't help fall into a fatalistic pattern of thinking when parts of my birth chart or when someone's birth chart makes aspects to mine that it's all somehow predetermined. When I'm down I look at my birth chart to psychologically reassure myself that good things will come, but when it says something bad about me that's when I go "don't worry, I can decide things for myself."

When things work or don't work out with someone (any kind of relationship), I can't help but think that the planets must / must not have been in aspect with each other correctly. What's also interesting to me is that the modern astrology practiced today differs from traditional astrology as practiced in the Middle Ages and earlier. Modern astrology grew out of humanistic thinking in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Birth charts aren't necessarily viewed as "unequal", "good" or "bad", but rather as indicators of strengths and weaknesses and potential challenges to work with. Due to the discovery of the outer planets, modern astrologers generally use them in chart readings. Aquarius was traditionally assigned to Saturn but now it's assigned to Uranus, Pisces I'm not sure but it's not assigned to Neptune, and Scorpio was traditionally assigned to Mars (a malefic in traditional astrology) but now it's assigned to Pluto. 

Planets in modern astrology don't have "good" or "bad" labels to them, just different kinds of energy that have both pros and cons depending on how they're handled and the aspects they form. However, some planets such as Mars are considered bad in traditional astrology. What's even more interesting to me is how traditional astrologers didn't really assign personality traits to zodiac signs, instead they represented different aspects of life and human nature rather than individuals. Modern astrology assigns personality traits to signs, and some of the interpretations are quite different from their traditional interpretations. For example, Cancer is a water sign along with Scorpio and Pisces. Modern interpretations of the water element would include words such as "sensitive", "intuitive", "perceptive", even "psychic." However, a traditional interpretation of the water element would focus more on its negative traits such as "volatile", "unstable", and "unpredictable." Houses in contemporary astrology represent an individual's attitude towards that particular aspect of life, but in a traditional reading they represent that aspect of the individual's life but completely separate from the individual him / herself.

I'm really young among the playerbase here, I'm only 22. I was born in 1996 with my sun in Cancer but my Venus is in the dual sign of Gemini. My Sagittarius ascending sign means my descending sign is Gemini. This really freaks me out because from what I've read Gemini Venus + Gemini descendant indicates infidelity and more than one marriage and that's not what I want at all. I am utterly scared of breakups and divorce due to my own life experiences. Venus in the summer months of 1996 does a really annoying thing. Just when you think it's about to enter Cancer, it goes into retrograde back into Gemini and it doesn't settle into Cancer until well into Leo, possibly even Virgo. Had I been born at the scheduled date of birth I would have been a Virgo, but I was born prematurely in early July.

I'm also getting the tendency to look up people's birth charts, the positions and aspects they have, and the aspects they form with mine. If there are multiple challenging aspects, I get disheartened. If it's someone I've bonded with for a long time, I can't help but look them up and see what aspects point to longevity (usually it's Sun, Moon, Venus, Saturn, and midpoints). I'm also getting into generational astrology that looks at the outer planets and how they influence trends of a generation / era.

For example, being born in 1996, my Uranus has already entered Aquarius but my Neptune is still in Capricorn albeit a late degree (26.46 degrees). However, kids born in 1998 will have both their Uranus and Neptune in Aquarius, so I wonder if they're going to be less traditional and more innovative than the Millennial generation that I belong at the tail end of.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[INTEL]
Members
6,736 posts
26,501 battles

I have a bridge to sell you. Used but in good shape, and well maintained.

It is in Brooklyn NY if you are interested.

• Funny 3

[INTEL]
Members
6,736 posts
26,501 battles

Now for the physics of this, (science, that thing you may not know much about).

* "Planets in modern astrology don't have "good" or "bad" labels to them, just different kinds of energy that have both pros and cons depending on how they're handled and the aspects they form.""

The only force that planets exert on you is gravity. Gravity is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. The forces are electromagnetism, weak interaction (the one that powers the stars), strong interaction (the one that keeps atoms together) and gravity. Gravity is by far the weakest of them all.

Wait! Weakest you said? Yes.

How can something with the mass of the Earth that keeps you on its surface be weak?

Ever tried to lift a paper clip with a magnet? How can a little magnet compete with earth's gravity? Because it is relatively weak.

As per your pseudo-scientific comments above, the gravity attraction exerted by the mass of the obstetrician that brought you into this world far, far exceeds the interaction of all the planets together.

Again, if you really want a bridge in a prestigious location, I have one for sale (see details above).

Edited by alexf24

[HYDRO]
Members
1,862 posts
3,961 battles
15 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

I have a bridge to sell you. Used but in good shape, and well maintained.

It is in Brooklyn NY if you are interested.

Mon ami! I have a good tower too to sell, is in Paris!

I won't believe anything that isn't proven. And astrology has not only been proven wrong, but completely debunked so far. Unless there is some proof, I can't believe any of it. Like who comes up with these interpretations of planets.

5 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

What do you mean?

Con artistry. People have tried to sell Brooklyn Bridge, and on the spoiler above there was a guy that sold Eiffel Tower twice.

You are entitled to believe OP, I respect that, but don't let confirmation bias affect you in these cases.

Edited by warheart1992

[PVE]
Members
2,007 posts
18,485 battles
39 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

Do any of you believe in astrology?

My sign is Neon.

• Funny 1

Members
2,134 posts
4,850 battles

I see, to be honest I have been struggling with it a lot, and recently I've been trying to get out of it, actually. I'm tired of constantly being pulled back into it, I'm trying to get out of it for good. I've lived in lots of fear after finding out I have some negative aspects with Saturn in my birth chart and my Gemini Venus and Gemini descendant. It's honestly becoming like a drug to me and I realize I'm becoming irrational, but I do tend to have a worrying / slightly obsessive personality by nature so it's easier said than done.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu
  • Cool 2

[MBR]
Members
240 posts
5,837 battles

No, I don't believe in astrology.

24 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Gravity is by far the weakest of them all

True, but only at atomic and subatomic scale. But when you're dealing with supermassive objects (like black holes), gravity becomes the strongest force and even light bends to it.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,862 posts
3,961 battles
17 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

It's honestly becoming like a drug to me and I realize I'm becoming irrational, but I do tend to have a worrying / slightly obsessive personality by nature so it's easier said than done.

First of all, good for you for trying to get out of it. The issue is that such things feed off insecurities and confirmation bias. Purposely vague, you end up filling in the gaps by yourself to fit in the profile and "charts" that are listed. Correlation is not causation however. If you say you have also a worrying personality it's even easier. 

I would recommend just googling about astrology, reading articles and watching some videos criticizing it and exposing the logical gaps in it. 

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,289 posts
7,571 battles

OP, consider this "For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy."

It is not wise to go around telling everyone, however indirectly, your date of birth.

Glad you enjoy the stars, I do too, but prefer to enjoy them with a telescope.

Alpha Tester
5,357 posts
2,572 battles
1 hour ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

What do you mean?

He's saying that you are a gullible idiot who falls for the flimsy tricks of con artists.

Personally, I don't believe in astrology, but if someone else does then I'm not going to stop them.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,769 posts
14,242 battles

I believe in Astronomy

As for the other I think we're talking into a pseudo religion which I hope doesn't get a  Chat ban

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
1,903 posts
19,312 battles

I believe in God the Father and his Son  Amen …………... 

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
6,683 posts
9,788 battles

Astrologers and cold readers have a lot in common in that the statements they make seem like the truth when, in fact, they are just so general that they can be applied to anyone and any situation while seeming to be specific. So-called psychic revelations and prophecies also usually fall into this category. That's not to say that a very few people don't have minds that are capable of extrapolating current events into a high probability of a future outcome. Usually, however these people, like Cassandra, are ignored.

Strengths: Resourceful, brave, passionate, stubborn, a true friend

That is my "sign." Of course, anyone would want to be assigned these positive attributes and thus think that they applied to them specifically.

Another sign has the following attributes. If you look carefully, they are just mostly synonyms of the first set.

Strengths: Reliable, patient, practical, devoted, responsible, stable

Resourceful = practical; true friend = devoted; brave = reliable, and so on.

Edited by Snargfargle

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,315 posts
9,621 battles

I believe that the astrology bit in the news paper is funny as hell but nothing more

[PSP]
Members
6,683 posts
9,788 battles

I watched a YouTube video yesterday of a lady who was kicked off a plane because she wouldn't stop her political and other ranting at her fellow passengers. One thing that struck me especially funny that she kept saying that the Theory of Gravity was "just a theory." This is what laypersons don't understand -- that a scientific theory isn't just mere speculation but instead a well-tested and highly-verified set of explanations as to how the world actually works. Astrology, on the other hand, would be hard pressed to derive actual methods and models in order to attain real knowledge or accomplish real results.

There is one caveat to this, however. By their precise observations of the :"heavens" early astrologers were actually acting as astronomers in that they could predict the positions of the planets in the sky and things like solar eclipses and the positions of the constellations. Thus these early scientists were a mixture of scientist and mystic.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,771 posts
7 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Mon ami! I have a good tower too to sell, is in Paris!

I'm interested.

• Funny 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,862 posts
3,961 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Snip.

Same as alchemy and chemistry. Quite a few chemical substances, minerals and metals were discovered during the search for things like philosopher's stone etc.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,315 posts
9,621 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I am a Gemini, and neither of us believe in astrology.

Thread winner!

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
438 posts
6,228 battles
On 12/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, BrushWolf said:

Thread winner!

Am I too late?  I was going to add my ex-wife is a Virgo ... and when we divorced, she was still a Virgo.  Honorable Mention? 

I still give you the nod for winner, @DrHolmes52  :Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

Members
470 posts
6,201 battles

Do I believe in astrology?  Yes.  Like the Bible I can prove it exists.  As for the claims they make, no, I do not.

Edited by Malamute_Kid
  • Cool 1