Sign in to follow this  
Awe5ome

Is the Monarch under powered?

11 comments in this topic

[CFOA]
Members
6 posts
2,569 battles

Now I don't have to many games in my Monarch so you might want to take everything I say here with a grain of salt, however in my games with her I find her to be very underwhelming. The reasons for this is because she feels like a KGV at tier 8 with non of the good bits. Monarch has 9 fifteen inch guns that have neither good AP or HE shells, the AP is the standard bad British amour piercing shells with poor angles and bad penetrating power. The HE is better in many ways but it still struggles at T10 games, the HE pen is better than that of other nations but the fire chance is only 35% for reference that's only 1% better than Bismarck. The concealment is good and is one of the few areas in which it excels 14.1 without any upgrades. The survivability of Monarch isn't all that impressive either, fully upgraded she has 60,500 hp which is the worst in the tier. That would be okay if she got a good heal but she doesn't she restores 323hp/s. To put that into context Hood VII restores 338hp/s, Bismarck 387hp/s and the newly released Vanguard can do 430hp/s. So Monarchs survivability is one of the worst for its tier. Now her maneuverability is middle of the pack she turns better than the Amagi by 100m but is out turned by the NC by 30m. Her speed is decent 29.4 knots isn't bad but she's second worst of all ships at Tier 8 only beating the NC. Monarchs AA is mediocre, while she isn't the first target you would go for she surely isn't a plane eater. Her AA is worse than that of the NC and the Richelieu. The secondaries are basically non-existent, they have a 5.3km range with a 6.3s reload time, with 8 guns per side. the NC has 5km range 6s reload, with 10 guns per side. Richelieu has 7km range and a 12s reload, with 9 guns per side. Bismarck the best of all of them has 10km range with reload of 7.5s and 3.4s, with 14 per side. Finally her range is... bad. Fully upgraded she has 18.1km range (no spotter). The NC has 23.3km range. The Amagi has 19.9km firing range. Bismarck has 21.2km range and the Richelieu has 25.3km range. So she's not a sniper but if you try and brawl you'll lose. And even at mid-range you aren't all that efficient because your dispersion feels worse than Bismarck so you only get maybe like 2 hits on a target.  

Those are the reasons why I personally find the Monarch to be underwhelming. She doesn't excel in much, she is mediocre at best at a lot of things and she does poorly in almost everything else. Now I know a lot of you got her to work for you, so if you could I'd love tips! If you disagree that's fine but this is how I feel about the Monarch.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,466 posts
6,804 battles

Monarch is a ship that follows the idea of low skill floor and low skill ceiling.

She is very forgiving for mistakes. When you overextend you have that cloaking device that allows you to disengage more easily, when you accidently show too much side to a Battleship you have both very thick armor values (in fact the highest at T8, with a 381mm belt) and a citadel that is well below the waterline so you won‘t take catastrophic damage unlike a North Carolina. Her shell choices allow for acceptable (note: acceptable, not necessarily good) results by just spamming HE.

But in return her potential on the outcome of a game is low, perhabs even the lowest of the T8 BBs. She does not have the reliable gunnery of ships like Vanguard, NC or Amagi, and she cannot do mid-late game brawls like Bismarck, Tirpitz or even Richelieu can. Sure, good players can squeeze something out of her by knowing which shell to fire at what time, but her ceiling will be noticably lower than that of NC or Amagi.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
2,007 posts
18,485 battles
4 hours ago, Awe5ome said:

Now I know a lot of you got her to work for you

Who? Have you got any names to prove what you claim to know cause I'm gonna need some witnesses :-)

Actually not even worth arming HE unless you know there will be an unsuspecting DD to fire at. Use your stealth to get as close as possible for better accuracy but be cutting to kite away after the 1st surprise attack.

But on the plus side...Lion is worth the Monarch grind...HE spamming madness is just around the corner (don't forget to load up any whitherer tasks you have unfinished once you get her...you'll be through them before you have the mods upgraded).

Monarch is like the Edinburg...2 of the rare T8 instances where the T7 & T9 ships far exceed them (usually the T9 is the major grind in a line).

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
18 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Who? Have you got any names to prove what you claim to know cause I'm gonna need some witnesses :-)

Actually not even worth arming HE unless you know there will be an unsuspecting DD to fire at. Use your stealth to get as close as possible for better accuracy but be cutting to kite away after the 1st surprise attack.

But on the plus side...Lion is worth the Monarch grind...HE spamming madness is just around the corner (don't forget to load up any whitherer tasks you have unfinished once you get her...you'll be through them before you have the mods upgraded).

Monarch is like the Edinburg...2 of the rare T8 instances where the T7 & T9 ships far exceed them (usually the T9 is the major grind in a line).

Actually Monach with upgraded Range and spotter plane can hurl RN HE and set some long range fires. Of course I prefer  Amagi or Bismarck style combat for my tier 8 BB gameplay, but Monarch is usable.

[PVE]
Members
2,007 posts
18,485 battles
8 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

RN HE

The problem is it doesn't have RN HE...just standard HE as far as fire potential goes...it & QE are better off just using AP.

Any BB can hurl long range HE & set some fires but the difference in AP cit damage as opposed to HE damage & fire potential makes AP the more logical choice for those 2 Brit BBs...although trying to close in for better accuracy is advisable for the Monarch at least as it has wonky dispersion at range.

• Cool 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,589 posts
3,603 battles

I was looking forward to the Monarch because I usually like and do well in awkward and generally despised ships but I'm struggling to find anything fun about this ship and it doesn't help T8 has some strong (in unique ways) ships

[CFOA]
Members
6 posts
2,569 battles
21 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

I was looking forward to the Monarch because I usually like and do well in awkward and generally despised ships but I'm struggling to find anything fun about this ship and it doesn't help T8 has some strong (in unique ways) ships

Ya so was I until I got her and realized just how bad she is in almost every aspect of the game.

[PVE]
Members
2,007 posts
18,485 battles
14 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

14 hours ago, Awe5ome said:

Ya so was I until I got her and realized just how bad she is in almost every aspect of the game.

Despite the stats she's still good at her job...tanking out cruisers that give her broadside (even from a distance if you can get a stealth shot off that doesn't let them know where the shots are coming from) & she can sneak up on them pretty good when 1 has been located at start & she hasn't (less so than when she 1st came out...I do believe they nerfed RN BB stealth on account of just that...but that's fair...cruisers shouldn't be out stealthed by a BB).

But if you can flank 1 parked behind an island you can light them up pretty good (not "light them up as in HE fires but w/AP cits). It's all about them lucky battles where everything falls into place to balance out all the ones where it doesn't...& Monarch is capable of pulling some of those off.

Of course in any battle w/a CV HE has it's place in stripping AA from anything it fires at...but you gotta be communicating w/the CV (letting them know which ships you have stripped) for it to be of value because if CV isn't attacking them your wasting your high potential AP damage for nothing...but then again...if you only target ships the CV is targeting w/it's planes...

But the CV will probably end up w/a kraken & you'll end up w/chump change for damage...but it could help to secure a win saving your CV some extra planes for the end game.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,291 posts
9,004 battles

I actually like the Monarch more than the Lion. I appreciate the extra bit of concealment and I hate the backwards firing angles on the Lion's B turret. Furthermore, despite the 10% extra fire chance on paper, I don't actually feel like the Lion sets more fires. Like Psycodiver I would say I'm a bit of a mehbote enthusiast though:

Members
61 posts
1,746 battles

The thing I disliked about KGV/DOY was the small guns. They still do decent HE damage though.

Monarch felt good, wasn't spectacular in the firepower department but going back to the 380mms felt good. Just gotta pick your targets selectively, broad side T9/10 BBs still take big damage. If you try to brawl though, your shells will just bounce and shatter against anything angled. I used her in T8 ranked a few months ago, performed just as well as Mass and Tirpitz. If you get yourself into trouble it's easy to make an escape, you have cruiser concealment after all.

Just stay away from HE spammers trying to farm damage, you'll burn like paper.

Members
1,596 posts
8,731 battles

Hey

The biggest issue I had with Monarch was her short range, 18 km is just not enough, especially when up tiered into T10 games.  The guns are very lack luster and if keeping with the Tech tree trend for RN BB's should have a better fire chance, at least in the middle of T7 and T9.  Give her a better fire chance, and bump the range another 1-1.5km and she would be fine.  Her AP is not bad, and neither is the ships handling.  It was kind of OK, but that was it; the Lion was very good but to be honest I am very disappointed with Conqueror compared to my other T10 BB's (GK and Republique).  Overall, I for one did not really enjoy the RN BB's overall.

Pete

Sign in to follow this