You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

ARRRGH!!!! Option paralysis...

17 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
3,887 posts

So I went to the premium shop, intending to bring Wee-Vee home.

It was then that I noticed some other ships that I want were also for sale- at least one that I've been kicking myself for not jumping on when it was around...

Gascogne

Boise

Now I'm stuck in a seemingly endless loop of "well what if I..."

Of those 3, Gascogne is fairly obvious.  I do not have a French BB trainer other than Dunky- which is a tier 6 (lower rewards = less Cptn XP); and not my favorite ship to play.   As I'm at the halfway mark on Alsace- who has my only high point FR BB captain- I gotta start thinking about boosting my 10 pointers on Lyon and Normandie to move them up.  (Lyon and Alsace are keepers, and regular players.)

Boise is also a no brainer, kinda.  The tier 7 is one of the 2 sweethearts of this line, AND I need a good US cruiser trainer.   I don't have the tech tree one yet, as I'm stuck on the Dallas in tier 6 hell.  Not very competetive in OPS, due to it's slow reload and slow shells, and not great in regular pve either due to that, and it's extreme squishyness. 

Man, what's a ship geek to do???

(and yes, I AM that guy who agonizes over the choices on a restaurant menu for way too long...)

Do you guys think any of those choices might find their way into the Santa crates?  (Not WV, obviously)  Or are they still too new?

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
6,326 battles

If it's any help, Boise has been up in the shop for quite a while now. In fact, I'm not actually sure WG has ever removed her since her introduction. Boise might be the 'standard' premium USN CL, much like how Atago has been in the shop forever.

[BNKR]
Members
1,301 posts
1,330 battles

Boise is an outstanding performer and the heal is a boon for a tier VII cruiser. I have all three you mentioned and Boise is my favorite. I do enjoy Gascogne, but the guns can be very trolly and she is highly susceptible to HE spam. She just kinda works though. WeeVee is still awaiting judgement, but she reminds me of Musashi; guns fo dayz, yo.

[CSALT]
Members
983 posts

I wouldn't recommend the Gascogne.  It is a fun ship, fast and maneuverable, but it does terrible in up tiered battles.  Its shells don't scratch most T10 BBs and then overpen the cruisers and the ship is uptiered A LOT.

[PHU]
Members
55 posts
2,766 battles

I'm not seeing Gascogne or Boise on sale even though I'm logged in.

Either way, if you don't care about the other coal ships, save your coal and pick up Jean Bart for your French training. Jean Bart is new so it's definitely gonna be in the arsenal for a while. No need to panic about missing out on it for now. Christmas is closing in and there will probably be more offers, more options. Usually that's a good thing, but with your indecisiveness, I guess not. I'm sorry?

Even if Gascogne and Boise happen to get added into Santa crates this year, I would not rely on the crates for either unless you're a massive collector who owns A LOT of premiums already. If they were not available in the premium store, I would say it's up to you, but they are. Don't gamble on the dice roll if it's just waiting for you at the premium shop, more so if you say they are on sale.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,887 posts
4 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I wouldn't recommend the Gascogne.  It is a fun ship, fast and maneuverable, but it does terrible in up tiered battles.  Its shells don't scratch most T10 BBs and then overpen the cruisers and the ship is uptiered A LOT.

Kinda sounds like Richie and Alsace- you have to POUND BB's into submission with repeated hits, rather than  nut punch them with citadels.   And, or course, your 15"ers are just a WEE bit too big to get normal pens on cruisers...   The good news is co-op bots love to bow charge- and bow shots on cruisers can be devastating- even with French guns.

What are the secondaries like?  Typically French?

[BNKR]
Members
1,301 posts
1,330 battles
3 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

What are the secondaries like?  Typically French?

They are for fire starting. I can't recommend getting IFHE that they need for pen damage, as survivability skills are far too important. 

Edited by RagingxMarmoset

[CSALT]
Members
983 posts

What ^they^ said.

I really do enjoy driving the Gascogne, but it is my least played T VIII BB because of being bottom tier so frequently.  My other T VIII BBs handle it much better.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,887 posts
3 minutes ago, Chozo_Elder said:

I'm not seeing Gascogne or Boise on sale even though I'm logged in.

Either way, if you don't care about the other coal ships, save your coal and pick up Jean Bart for your French training. Jean Bart is new so it's definitely gonna be in the arsenal for a while. No need to panic about missing out on it for now. Christmas is closing in and there will probably be more offers, more options. Usually that's a good thing, but with your indecisiveness, I guess not. I'm sorry?

Even if Gascogne and Boise happen to get added into Santa crates this year, I would not rely on the crates for either unless you're a massive collector who owns A LOT of premiums already. If they were not available in the premium store, I would say it's up to you, but they are. Don't gamble on the dice roll if it's just waiting for you at the premium shop, more so if you say they are on sale.

FOR sale, not on sale.    And, yes, I AM a collecter- so I often do well with the Santa crates.   But if I WANT a ship I never count on getting it from a crate- I buy it or earn it if possible.  I just don't have the $$ to buy both BB's right now.

Which premium shop are you looking in?  I ask because they like to screw with us, and put different things in the "front page" shop than in the "in port" shop.   I just went to the in port shop and clicked on ships.  There is a shipload of them for sale right now.  Gascogne, Boise; S American Boise; Haida; and lots, lots more!

I figure I can get both Boise AND WV for about the cost of the $63 Wee Vee bundle.  (both are around 30 bucks nekkid)

[PVE]
Members
15,338 posts
10,157 battles
1 hour ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

So I went to the premium shop, intending to bring Wee-Vee home.

It was then that I noticed some other ships that I want were also for sale- at least one that I've been kicking myself for not jumping on when it was around...

Gascogne

Boise

Now I'm stuck in a seemingly endless loop of "well what if I..."

Of those 3, Gascogne is fairly obvious.  I do not have a French BB trainer other than Dunky- which is a tier 6 (lower rewards = less Cptn XP); and not my favorite ship to play.   As I'm at the halfway mark on Alsace- who has my only high point FR BB captain- I gotta start thinking about boosting my 10 pointers on Lyon and Normandie to move them up.  (Lyon and Alsace are keepers, and regular players.)

Boise is also a no brainer, kinda.  The tier 7 is one of the 2 sweethearts of this line, AND I need a good US cruiser trainer.   I don't have the tech tree one yet, as I'm stuck on the Dallas in tier 6 hell.  Not very competetive in OPS, due to it's slow reload and slow shells, and not great in regular pve either due to that, and it's extreme squishyness. 

Man, what's a ship geek to do???

(and yes, I AM that guy who agonizes over the choices on a restaurant menu for way too long...)

Do you guys think any of those choices might find their way into the Santa crates?  (Not WV, obviously)  Or are they still too new?

I'm waiting on Prinz Eitel Friedrich. I doubt I will be able to grind to get PEF and then complete the campaign, so I may buy PEF depending on what the rewards are besides the T6 ships.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,887 posts
10 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

They are for fire starting. I can't recommend getting IFHE that they need for pen damage, as survivability skills are far too important. 

Oh definitely!  4 points is too much to spend on IFHE just to boost secondaries- not when you can take AFT, Fire prevention or concealment for the same price.    And the first 2 are extremely valuable for a brawler type.

My French BB build is all about survival- inc boosting the already good AA the higher tier ones have.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,887 posts
5 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'm waiting on Prinz Eitel Friedrich. I doubt I will be able to grind to get PEF and then complete the campaign, so I may buy PEF depending on what the rewards are besides the T6 ships.

The only ship my  BUY NOW! finger is waiting for currently is Alaska.   And maybe Dreadnought, if they ever sell it by itself- just because Dreadnought.   3 million Free XP are waiting eagerly for something to spend themselves on, lol.  (since they locked Beef Burgundy behind the steel curtain...)

German BB's and me never really got along after Nassau.

[PHU]
Members
55 posts
2,766 battles
24 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

FOR sale, not on sale.    And, yes, I AM a collecter- so I often do well with the Santa crates.   But if I WANT a ship I never count on getting it from a crate- I buy it or earn it if possible.  I just don't have the $$ to buy both BB's right now.

Which premium shop are you looking in?  I ask because they like to screw with us, and put different things in the "front page" shop than in the "in port" shop.   I just went to the in port shop and clicked on ships.  There is a shipload of them for sale right now.  Gascogne, Boise; S American Boise; Haida; and lots, lots more!

I figure I can get both Boise AND WV for about the cost of the $63 Wee Vee bundle.  (both are around 30 bucks nekkid)

Ah, as in no discount. Yeah, a lot of ships have been in the premium shop since summer I think.

[PVE]
Members
15,338 posts
10,157 battles
9 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

The only ship my  BUY NOW! finger is waiting for currently is Alaska.   And maybe Dreadnought, if they ever sell it by itself- just because Dreadnought.   3 million Free XP are waiting eagerly for something to spend themselves on, lol.  (since they locked Beef Burgundy behind the steel curtain...)

German BB's and me never really got along after Nassau.

I got to 750k FXP faster than I thought, especially after I spent 375k on Nelson. So I went ahead and got Kronshtadt. I also got Musashi as I know it had been in the game for almost a year and I thought, rightly, it might get rotated. I'm around 300k FXP and 120k coal and I'm going for Salem next. Then Jean Bart for coal. If Alaska is FXP, then I'll get it when I hit 750k FXP. If we are getting steel, because Alaska will be steel (perish the thought), then I'll have to hold onto the steel. If I can earn enough steel in patch 7.12, I think I will get Flint, rather than going after Black, Stalingrad or Bourgogne.

I am so glad I did the bundle for Nueve de Juliio to get Boise as well. It also gave me a 10 pt Pan-Am Cmdr. I only have my Blys Cmdr to 6 pts and the Italians to 6 points. Too focused on tech tree grinds.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,887 posts
21 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I got to 750k FXP faster than I thought, especially after I spent 375k on Nelson. So I went ahead and got Kronshtadt. I also got Musashi as I know it had been in the game for almost a year and I thought, rightly, it might get rotated. I'm around 300k FXP and 120k coal and I'm going for Salem next. Then Jean Bart for coal. If Alaska is FXP, then I'll get it when I hit 750k FXP. If we are getting steel, because Alaska will be steel (perish the thought), then I'll have to hold onto the steel. If I can earn enough steel in patch 7.12, I think I will get Flint, rather than going after Black, Stalingrad or Bourgogne.

I am so glad I did the bundle for Nueve de Juliio to get Boise as well. It also gave me a 10 pt Pan-Am Cmdr. I only have my Blys Cmdr to 6 pts and the Italians to 6 points. Too focused on tech tree grinds.

Lol- Jean Bart would need to still be there NEXT Christmas, for me to have a hope of buying it for coal.  Unless they give out loads of it in the meantime, lol.

That's why I was looking at the big bundle for Wee Vee- the 10 point commander.  (also the flags and doubloons, and the camo)  I have too many US BB keepers, so an extra semi-good captain is always welcome.

Never could pull the trigger on Nelson...  I hear it's good, but damn is it ugly!!  Also eats citadels for days thanks to that long bow w/3 turrets, and I'm not a fan of WG's interpretation of RN BB's.  I still may though- I need somewhere to put KGV's captain when I finally get tired of it.  Not going any further up that line.

As for Musashi,  I stopped grinding IJN BB's after Kongo.  So no captain for it worth a hill of beans.  They just aren't my style.

Kron is tempting, though.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,887 posts

Well, I ended up getting Boise and Wee Vee- and I went for the nekkid ship.

First impressions:

Boise is the real deal!!  A fun ship to play, and now I'm really looking forward to the tech tree tier 7.   That heal is key!   Add a fire flag and a captain with DE and IFHE, and it's fire for days and big damage salvos.  No CV yet- so I haven't tested the AA. ( I put my Cleveland captain in it, as it's my biggest CL captain.)

West Virginia 41'?   That can go die in a fire...  Tier 6 mm blows anyway- nothing but fast torpedo cruisers, and uptiers.   With the slow speed and pathetic accuracy, it's not even close to competitive.  A port queen for sure.   What did you do, WG???  I loved Colorado, but this thing can't fight it's way out of a paper bag...  Just to be sure, I played Colorado- and it was the same old ship I played scores of games in. (same 14 point captain, and basic set up, but WV got Plotting room 1 instead of AA 2, and I put the spotter plane mod on it.)  But hey- it's just another downtiered A-hull, what else could I expect?

Boise was worth the money.   Wee Vee, I can't recommend unless you are simply a collector of US BB's.  If that's the case, both camo patterns ARE nice looking.