You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Steeler_Nation_USA

Current Tier X Cruiser Favorites?

48 comments in this topic

Members
253 posts
7,458 battles
55 minutes ago, Dath_1 said:

Key words "played correctly". I hated high tier cruisers until I really understood how to play them, now they are a blast

Si how do you play each tier X cruiser correctly? I'm getting tired of being a high-tier potato.

Members
4,116 posts
15,224 battles

"Battleship Hindenberg". The name sez it all. A beast at any range.

Henri IV. A fast tough fire starting long range HE shooter who's 240mm guns hit like a truck and is surprisingly maneuverable for a bote of her size.

Des Moines is a damn good bote but I cant seem to get the best out of her.

4 hours ago, steelers_rule_2018 said:

At Neptune, like it but big hard to score high numbers. 

I like Neptune a lot more than the ultra squishy Minotaur. Neptune's far from tanky but she's definitely tougher than Minotaur.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,268 posts
19,644 battles
1 hour ago, Xanshin said:

Hindy has a citadel? 

Mino IS a citadel.

Wooster should be a citadel but is actually a torpless dd that only takes overpens.

Zao is a ninja.

DM is a pest... but boring.

Henri is okay but no one plays it for some reason.

My Montana and her arcing shells often find Hindenburg citadels.  Matter of fact, the preferred way people like to play Hindenburg, at range, is the worst way to compromise Hindenburg's protection scheme.  Get Hindenburg in short ranges, i.e. 9km or less, and she tanks BBs like a champ.  Yes, she'll eat Penetrations, but they will struggle to Citadel her.  But at range, that's when you Citadel her.  And with those "floaty" USN BB shells, it's amazing.

[EGIRL]
Members
583 posts
5,430 battles

A Wooster...played correctly...is the most irritating ship to face.  It's like that ultra hot chick across the bar that makes eye contact with you but is impossible to approach due to her hoard of lessor girlfriends.  And, by the time you finally spot an opportunity to approach?  She's gone.

Also, it's absolutely awesome and fun to play the role of the ultra hot chick.  Everyone wants to nail you, no one can.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
975 posts
4,318 battles

Of the ones I own;

1. Des Moines - Ultimate lockdown ship, if you hug an island like your waifu people have to give up a lot HP to force you out. You can open water DM but you have to be good at kiting and stop n go throttle games.

2. Minotaur - Grab your radar and be prepared to play hyper aggressively and just ruin DD's games.

3. Henri - Love this thing so far. Make the BB's waste shots at you and put serious damage on everything down range. Can over match Minos... Can be very dominate especially as the game goes on and you can move in closer. Then put some serious hurt on with the AP. Underplayed gudbote.

4. Movska - Least favorite of my cruisers. Sit bow in and annoying people or kite and spam HE... Rail gun arcs are good in open water, terrible in island maps.

[MKF]
Members
463 posts
17,744 battles
1 hour ago, GambitHG said:

Si how do you play each tier X cruiser correctly? I'm getting tired of being a high-tier potato.

Depends on the cruiser... but learning when to stop firing to go dark so you aren't focused, situational awareness about spotting so you can dictate engagements, knowing when to push and when to kite... when to turn so you aren't nuked by a Yamato... these are basics that help me survive long enough to make an impact.

Members
999 posts
5,468 battles
30 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

My Montana and her arcing shells often find Hindenburg citadels.  Matter of fact, the preferred way people like to play Hindenburg, at range, is the worst way to compromise Hindenburg's protection scheme.  Get Hindenburg in short ranges, i.e. 9km or less, and she tanks BBs like a champ.  Yes, she'll eat Penetrations, but they will struggle to Citadel her.  But at range, that's when you Citadel her.  And with those "floaty" USN BB shells, it's amazing.

Yes... keep your floaty usn bb shells the frell away from my hindy... instead come give me a hug... I want to show you my metal fish collection. :fish_cute_2:

[AAA]
Members
507 posts
8,458 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yeah I agree with that. I always make sure that Montys dont get interested in me (not even talking broadside here). But I have taken on a full HP Monty in a ranked battle. we came face to face on a flank and both the teams were on other side of the map (North map on the 10 line). Turning away wasn't an option and I decided to brawl. He was too afraid to approach me fearing my torps and tried to run away. I just burned him down while I managed to stay alive with 1/4th HP :) 

In the chat

Me- It took you so much effort to try to sink me.

Monty- And wasn't successful. Will never get so close to a Hindy ever again. Cheers mate 

Edited by sansfaille

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,475 battles

just picked up the wooster still havn,t graduated from coop yet but it is fun. I am a dd main but struggled with ca till i made it to the wooster averaging 100k damage and 2-3 kills. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,268 posts
19,644 battles
2 hours ago, Xanshin said:

Yes... keep your floaty usn bb shells the frell away from my hindy... instead come give me a hug... I want to show you my metal fish collection. :fish_cute_2:

The fun part with Hindenburg, sometimes when you come around an island and surprise a BB, and if you don't have low HP, the BB player just gives up.  They know they can't 1-shot you with the 1 salvo they have to fire at you in time before you drop your torps into them :Smile_trollface:  It's in that short ranged situation where Hindenburg gets the "Battleship" nickname.  But when she's spamming at 17km+ or whatever, that's when you get jacked up by a BB.

I thought it was funny.  The preferred style of play for Hindenburg by many is the style that sees her get deleted.  The style of play many Hindenburg players don't like to play, "Knife Fighting Range," is where she is absolutely at her best.

Another fun thing is if you ditch Defensive Fire and take Hydro instead, prowling around islands and confined map spaces?  She's deadly that way.

• Cool 1

Members
999 posts
5,468 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The fun part with Hindenburg, sometimes when you come around an island and surprise a BB, and if you don't have low HP, the BB player just gives up.  They know they can't 1-shot you with the 1 salvo they have to fire at you in time before you drop your torps into them :Smile_trollface:  It's in that short ranged situation where Hindenburg gets the "Battleship" nickname.  But when she's spamming at 17km+ or whatever, that's when you get jacked up by a BB.

I thought it was funny.  The preferred style of play for Hindenburg by many is the style that sees her get deleted.  The style of play many Hindenburg players don't like to play, "Knife Fighting Range," is where she is absolutely at her best.

Another fun thing is if you ditch Defensive Fire and take Hydro instead, prowling around islands and confined map spaces?  She's deadly that way.

For sure. If you think DM is a pain to dislodge from cover... try hindys acoustics, 16 torps, and nasty AP on for size.

Members
724 posts
4,034 battles

Like my Salem the most. Moskva is okay. Very tanky and good utility but you basically cant turn out...ever. Once engaged you're stuck and playing too far in the back screws your team out of the radar. The Stalinium guns are glorious. Henri is pretty boring, haven't touched it in ages. Great sniper but that's about it and I prefer ships that can get in close which Henri cant since its concealment is practically 14km. Currently working on getting a Zao.

[RLGN]
Members
11,267 posts
20,274 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

51 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

For sure. If you think DM is a pain to dislodge from cover... try hindys acoustics, 16 torps, and nasty AP on for size.

If had and faith in myself perhaps I might have cause to agree.

All 105 games in DM taught me, (40% wr, 28k average damage,) was that there was no point to wasting time at that tier; mine or anyone else’s.

[EGO]
Members
3,683 posts

Hindenburg by far. I love the Moskva guns but don't like the lack of maneuverability. I don't like the Des Moines for several reasons but the main one is the slow shells. Minotaur is too stressful now with the accurate smoke firing and overabundance of radar. I played the Zao in Space battles and was very surprised I didn't care for it since I love the Atago. I haven't driven a Henri but I'm thinking about grinding it out and getting the Legendary upgrade. It's the only Legendary besides Yamato that I want.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,526 posts
8,692 battles
11 hours ago, enderland07 said:

Most of the TX cruisers are very good if you are skilled in their respective play styles.

But you cannot mix/match playstyles. Play a Mosvka like a Mino? RIP. Etc.

With the buffs that hit Henri IV, all of the tier X cruisers are in a really good place at the moment with very different styles of play.  My personal favourite is Minotaur -- mostly because if you misstep with her, you die a horrible death, so the risk/reward is right up there.

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,648 posts
8,394 battles

Henri is the best at dueling any other ship, Worcester is the best for support, Stalingrad is the best at being tough to take down. All T10 cruisers have their uses but these are the best at what they do. My personal favorite is Henri because she's the scariest cruiser in the game to have to deal with when played well. It's like an upscaled Khabarovsk with spaced armour and some of the biggest guns on any cruiser that also come with a reload booster. Its favorite toy to play with are Minotaurs since they are slow enough to get ran down and the armour is overmatched by the AP. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,268 posts
19,644 battles
30 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

Henri is the best at dueling any other ship, Worcester is the best for support, Stalingrad is the best at being tough to take down. All T10 cruisers have their uses but these are the best at what they do. My personal favorite is Henri because she's the scariest cruiser in the game to have to deal with when played well. It's like an upscaled Khabarovsk with spaced armour and some of the biggest guns on any cruiser that also come with a reload booster. Its favorite toy to play with are Minotaurs since they are slow enough to get ran down and the armour is overmatched by the AP. 

Do you do IFHE Henri IV?

[-SF-]
Members
289 posts
4,022 battles

Though I've not played many T10 ships, the Minotaur is my favourite, squishy as hell but with a detection range of 8.9km, fast firing guns and torps, she can be very deadly. 

[TOG]
Members
3,635 posts
19,459 battles
13 hours ago, GambitHG said:

Zao, Hindy and HIV are flankers. You try and set up cross fire from open water. A counter to the island humpers You are the hammer. You probe and see there is an open flank you can exploit. The disadvantage is that you will be focused on when spotted. The ships deal with this in different ways. Zao has the fastest rudder shift, so dodging and kiting is the counter. Hindy is the tankiest, so it can take hits. HIV with sped boost can outrun the shells.

DM, Mino and Wooster are the island humpers. You're the anvil. Find an island that can give you cover and can shoot over. Use radar to unmask DD's in smoke. Get caught in the open and you may die a quick death due to squeamishness.

Moskva is the support battleship. Long range sniper. You'll be mostly going forward and backward.

The key is situation awareness and map awareness.

• Cool 1

[_-X-_]
[_-X-_]
Members
196 posts
7,055 battles

I really like my Worcester.  DM and Minotaur are a mixed bag.

Members
999 posts
5,468 battles
13 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

With the buffs that hit Henri IV, all of the tier X cruisers are in a really good place at the moment with very different styles of play.  My personal favourite is Minotaur -- mostly because if you misstep with her, you die a horrible death, so the risk/reward is right up there.

Mino is too fun. DD serial killer. Even to beefcake khabs since they like to kite outside your stealth range. You get the fun factor of DD life without the responsibility. DDs are expected to push/spot/contest/carry... but no one rages at a mino for buying a ticket back to port... people just wince and go owwwww that HAD to hurt.

[PSV]
Members
332 posts
8,510 battles
On 12/1/2018 at 5:48 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

In a hilarious way, when you consider how people like to play their open water gunspam Cruisers, you are quite correct with Haragumo.  She's a Better CL than most Cruisers can ever dream to be, and she can do her job in open water with smoke, and still have torpedoes.

Worcester, DM, Zao, Hindenburg, etc. can all get citadeled eventually and lose a massive amount of HP.  Not all those BB players out there are idiots and some are very good in their aim.  Cruisers got Citadels.  "Light Cruiser Haragumo" doesn't.  While the Cruisers have more HP than "CL" Haragumo, they got citadels.

Exactly my friend