You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Steeler_Nation_USA

Current Tier X Cruiser Favorites?

48 comments in this topic

Members
351 posts
4,618 battles

At Neptune, like it but big hard to score high numbers. 

With all the recent changes what do you consider the top 3 tier X cruisers and why?

Edited by steelers_rule_2018
title

Members
1,484 posts
9,753 battles

Moskva---pointy end first can tank decently well, with a couple of exceptions. Amazing guns...and radar.

Zao---annoying HE spammer and stealthy. Good at disengaging if needed. It can stealth torp.

Minotaur---the rainbow arc of constant shelling/dps. The AA is awesome...and torps. Choice of smoke or radar.

Those are my 3 picks of the tier 10  cruisers I own.

Edited by _Rumple_
  • Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,594 posts
8,662 battles

Most of the TX cruisers are very good if you are skilled in their respective play styles.

But you cannot mix/match playstyles. Play a Mosvka like a Mino? RIP. Etc.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,712 posts
7,011 battles

Worcester is loads of fun but the radar nerfs hit her hard. DM arguable the most powerful and competitive. I've played her so much it's alittle  boring now though. Just got the Zao recently and very much enjoying her. Should have the Moskva by the end of the year. 

[SF-A]
Members
3,095 posts
6,711 battles

I have Moskva and Henri IV, and both are a blast. Moskva is designed to annoy the enemy with armor and radar, and Henri is like driving a sports car with a flamethrower mounted on the hood.

[LEGIT]
Members
1,861 posts
26,311 battles

I've finally started to get a WR over 50% in the Hindy and Wooster.  And I'm starting to enjoy them.

Seems that the Wooster, Des Moines, Minotaur, and Harugumo can just rain fire on BB's these days.  And the Zao and Hindenburg come close, and can do great PM.  Not to mention Moscva, Stalingred, etc.

If I'm in a BB and get focused by a Harugumo or other fire breather, and that pest has even a little support, I just have to turn tail and run.  Makes me wonder how effective BB's are gonna be in a year or 2 when more fast firing ships; either through buffs or otherwise, appear in the T 10 games.  High tier cruisers and DD's seem to put the big hurt on them; more so now than last year, or the year before.

[LRM]
Members
2,872 posts
6,297 battles

Des Moines: 5.5 second reload on 203mm guns. You simply can't ignore that. Lots of options for consumables.

Salem: See DM Above

Worchester: Minotaur with more guns and HE. Low profile, low detectablity range.

It's a case that makes itself!

• Cool 1

[PHASE]
Members
4,709 posts
16,143 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

All the Tier X Cruisers are outstanding.  The real question is your preferred playstyle to fit the right one.

Really depends on what you are after... hard core wins, hard core skill...hard core … you can fill in the blank, …….you have played enough to know what I mean.

The Zao is still the seductress, zip in, zip out... launch those glorious 12k torps, listen to Widespread Panic or maybe the Disco Biscuits and simply glide... the Zao is like butter on top of butter  

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
1,315 posts
9,231 battles

I only have the Henri and Mino, so those would be the two of my top 3 TX cruisers.    But on the home-stretch for Des Moines.

Mino's great fun for green DD support and red DD kills.    I enjoy either smoke or radar modes.

Henri - that shiny object for everyone to shoot and miss due to range and agility.    Flanking good times.    Sometimes hard to make an impact on the outcome.   High damage but little impact if the reds don't chase the shiny object.

[PSV]
Members
332 posts
8,506 battles

I have all tier x tech tree CAs. But harugumo beats them all.

On a more serious note. Worcester is the best.

[MLPVA]
Members
295 posts
3,679 battles

I'm working my way through the Roon to get to the Hindenburg. She'll be my second Tier X ship, and my first Tier X Cruiser. I'm looking forward to her.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,937 posts

I only OWN Des Moines, and love it!

Of the rest, the ones I actually want to own are:

Hindenberg

Henri IV

Worcester. 

DM fits me well.  I'm not that big a fan of firespamming BB's- I'd rather smash cruisers for lots of citadels, and kick BB's in the guts for high damage salvos. (ie fire AP into their secondary decks when the opportunity presents)  The combination of a fast reload and USN 8" gun performance makes DM vicious in that role.   And, of course, the AA fireworks shows and semi tanky bow.

In my preferred mode, fire spamming bot BB's with squishy cruisers just draws their attention to you like flies to dung.  Their excellent aim tends to sting just a tad...   (unless, or course, they are busy trying to [edited] one of your DD's.)   Apparently, HE spam annoys the bots, too, lol.

Hindy, as a German cruiser, seems to also excel in the "Fist to the face!" role.  Plus it has torps to deal with those who get too close.  (by observation only- I don't have it yet.  It IS kinda a pain to kill, so bonus for that!)

Henri is French, and French cruiser = fun, so...

Worcester gets my nod simply by being the most incredibly irritating ship to fight against.   It's SO squishy, my BB's get nothing but overpens from shooting it- while it burns you to a cinder.  I simply MUST own it!!!:Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,240 posts
19,617 battles
19 minutes ago, lipiru said:

I have all tier x tech tree CAs. But harugumo beats them all.

On a more serious note. Worcester is the best.

In a hilarious way, when you consider how people like to play their open water gunspam Cruisers, you are quite correct with Haragumo.  She's a Better CL than most Cruisers can ever dream to be, and she can do her job in open water with smoke, and still have torpedoes.

Worcester, DM, Zao, Hindenburg, etc. can all get citadeled eventually and lose a massive amount of HP.  Not all those BB players out there are idiots and some are very good in their aim.  Cruisers got Citadels.  "Light Cruiser Haragumo" doesn't.  While the Cruisers have more HP than "CL" Haragumo, they got citadels.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[MKF]
Members
460 posts
17,706 battles
1 hour ago, APA_204 said:

Really depends on what you are after... hard core wins, hard core skill...hard core … you can fill in the blank, …….you have played enough to know what I mean.

The Zao is still the seductress, zip in, zip out... launch those glorious 12k torps, listen to Widespread Panic or maybe the Disco Biscuits and simply glide... the Zao is like butter on top of butter  

I have DM, Hindy, Mino and Zao... enjoy all of them. Love Zao for sneaking up on ships and burning stuff and have my most fun in it.. I do feel as though I can influence a match the most when I play my DM well.

[PHASE]
Members
4,709 posts
16,143 battles
1 minute ago, Dath_1 said:

I have DM, Hindy, Mino and Zao... enjoy all of them. Love Zao for sneaking up on ships and burning stuff and have my most fun in it.. I do feel as though I can influence a match the most when I play my DM well.

ya, DM is a game winner, Zao is a hot chick you hang on to as long as possible.....

[IN3PT]
Members
225 posts
12,133 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

None.

Have DM and Hindy; dislike both, no intention of getting any others.

How does one dislike a Hindy? Des Moines I understand because of her playstyle. But Hindy is a beast when used correctly. He'll you can even Yolo BBs and win.

• Cool 1

[MKF]
Members
460 posts
17,706 battles
36 minutes ago, ENxRagexD said:

How does one dislike a Hindy? Des Moines I understand because of her playstyle. But Hindy is a beast when used correctly. He'll you can even Yolo BBs and win.

Key words "played correctly". I hated high tier cruisers until I really understood how to play them, now they are a blast

• Cool 1

Members
997 posts
5,461 battles
47 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

In a hilarious way, when you consider how people like to play their open water gunspam Cruisers, you are quite correct with Haragumo.  She's a Better CL than most Cruisers can ever dream to be, and she can do her job in open water with smoke, and still have torpedoes.

Worcester, DM, Zao, Hindenburg, etc. can all get citadeled eventually and lose a massive amount of HP.  Not all those BB players out there are idiots and some are very good in their aim.  Cruisers got Citadels.  "Light Cruiser Haragumo" doesn't.  While the Cruisers have more HP than "CL" Haragumo, they got citadels.

Hindy has a citadel? 

Mino IS a citadel.

Wooster should be a citadel but is actually a torpless dd that only takes overpens.

Zao is a ninja.

DM is a pest... but boring.

Henri is okay but no one plays it for some reason.

[RLGN]
Members
11,226 posts
20,252 battles
40 minutes ago, ENxRagexD said:

My apologies; confused my Roon with Hindy. Still don’t want it.

Because like an idiot in fxp’d to DM before I had any business doing so; (Chester, St Louis, Cleveland (old T6,) DM.) The self-inflicted disappointment and resentment which resulted poisoned me against high tiers.

Because outside Akizuki, Fletcher, and Grozovoi; despite three years and seventeen-thousand plus games; I can’t seem to do anything but die in high tier games.

I do well enough in PvE, but PvP? Won’t play them unless forced to, (like I needed to do for Halsey.)

[H_]
Members
2,411 posts

I only own IJN tier 10's...  But, i have fought against the others.  The Zao is a six pack of whoop a** and performs very well.  It's a Zippo and "just a big freaking DD" torpedo wise....  If you are a good CPT, and I am a potato, stealth, lighting fires all over the place and 10 Torps per side can be quite lethal.  

Edited by Asym_KS

[PHASE]
Members
4,709 posts
16,143 battles
3 hours ago, steelers_rule_2018 said:

At Neptune, like it but big hard to score high numbers. 

With all the recent changes what do you consider the top 3 tier X cruisers and why?

I haven't checked in a while, I once did 272k in a Neptune,,,,,,, at the time  it was the 12th best game in the ship ever......everything went my way.....point is, all ships are awesome if you use their strengths 

[VOC]
Members
83 posts
67 battles

The RN cuiserline is the one which I was mistaken the most. My greatest hobby was and is to one shot those sods smoking up. Trick: aim at roughly 1/4 and fire the moment they disappear in their smoke. So I kept those tricks in mind and played them myself. Neptune I completely upgraded to all ruddershift possible. I rather sacrifice that 1 km concealment to be able to dodge the incoming more. And when I get cornered I'm screwed anyway.

Regarding your question. I'm really looking forward to Minotaur. So far I'd say: 1 Zao: at least it can take a punch and quite often troll armor incoming. 2 Henry: Zao long distance spam. 3 Des Moines/ Hindenburg. Until recently I'd have put H'burg at first place but I feel something's off with that ship. Throw the tinfoil hat card at me but for me it seems there are only 2 outcomes: a shot either misses me or it's a double/ triple citadel. There hardly seems to be an "in between" possibility with this ship anymore. With Hinden I totally "panick" when I'm being aimed at by a BB. I can't recount the times I only heard/ saw watersplashes yet still getting the cholera attack sound and getting wiped clean of 95% of my HP. Regardless what angle, distance or speed I was running. I grown to like Des Moines. It can function is much situations. Worcester/ Moskva? Take the islands out of the equation for the sake of argument and what are they? I.o.w. too situational.

• Cool 1