You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Radio Location Captain's skill for Tier 8-10 USN dds

15 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
436 posts
5,908 battles

Was wondering how the community feels about RL as a Captain's skill in T8-10 USN dds.  I initially had my Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing captains with RL after watching some videos and reading some posts.  I agree that it helps with situational awareness, but I am now questioning if it is worth the cost.  4 points is a LOT when you only have 17-19 to distribute.  I recently dropped RL for TAE in my Gearing (plus a few other tweaks) making her a torp first, guns second dd.  I am doing much better in Random these days.  I'm thinking of dropping RL in my Fletcher to pick up DE and PM, making her a better guns first, torps second boat.  My Benson still has RL, not sure what to do with her captain yet.

My focus is on Random play first, with Clan second.  I really appreciate having that Radio Locator info, but it hurts to give up so many points for information.

Please let me know what you think.  

[RLGN]
Members
10,988 posts
20,055 battles

Use it in Gearing and Grozovoi, and generally like it.

I'm torps first guns second because I am apparently incapable of dodging fire like other DD mains claim to find so easy to do.

RL helps the way I play, by making it harder to be supprised by; 'Suddenly! a wild destroyer appears!'

It also helps me withstalking and ambushing, and in one game I remember in Groz on Okinawa; helped me chase down two IJN destroyers that flanked in behind my team.

As always with such things, ymmv, but I like it,

Also came in handy in the first Ranked Sprint because I put my Groz driver in Gremy. Also occasionally has uses in Co-op because bots do stupid things sometimes and don't go around islands the way you expect them to;, and if your team croaks, and you're all that's left; the bots can't sneak up on you as you wait to ambush them.

[USCC2]
Members
4,778 posts

You do have to know how to use it to its full effect to get the 4 points out of it.

There is a player called Flamu who has a video:

It might help you to decide. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,552 posts
11,732 battles

One problem with it (besides the 4pt cost) is it is a double edge sword. The enemy doesn't get a direction but they know they are the closest ship to a red ship with the skill, which means there is probably a DD lurking about. Sometimes wish it could be turned on and off as the situation dictates.

[BIER]
Members
218 posts
4,063 battles
9 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

One problem with it (besides the 4pt cost) is it is a double edge sword. The enemy doesn't get a direction but they know they are the closest ship to a red ship with the skill, which means there is probably a DD lurking about. Sometimes wish it could be turned on and off as the situation dictates.

OR, just, you know, have RL work properly and NOT notify the opponent. 

What other captain skills informs the enemy it's in use? Oh, that's right, NONE.

[CVA16]
Members
3,552 posts
11,732 battles
14 hours ago, LAnybody said:

What other captain skills informs the enemy it's in use? Oh, that's right, NONE.

Not a captain skill (used to be many moon ago) but the DETECTED warning you get is the same thing. Then there is updated versions that tells you how many red ships are targeting you or that you have incoming rounds.

In this case, if you are willing to forego the RPF info and shut it off, then the target wouldn't get any warning either. 

[CUTER]
Members
2,832 posts
11,934 battles
6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not a captain skill (used to be many moon ago) but the DETECTED warning you get is the same thing. Then there is updated versions that tells you how many red ships are targeting you or that you have incoming rounds.

In this case, if you are willing to forego the RPF info and shut it off, then the target wouldn't get any warning either. 

Both have their uses.

If I am running a DD as a fleet scout I typically run RPF as I can relay info to the team and have an idea of whats happening before anything is even spotted.

For more solo play DDs like Z-52, Daring, etc I tend to buff combat and survivability aspects of the boat.

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
436 posts
5,908 battles
On 12/3/2018 at 12:43 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Both have their uses.

If I am running a DD as a fleet scout I typically run RPF as I can relay info to the team and have an idea of whats happening before anything is even spotted.

For more solo play DDs like Z-52, Daring, etc I tend to buff combat and survivability aspects of the boat.

After some experimentation with not only USN but other dds I have (and expending doubloons on captain rebuilds), I think that I've answered my own question. 

1) For super stealthy torp-centered dds, TAE is much more valuable.  You spot other dds before they spot you.  RPF tends to give you away.

2) For gun-centered dds like the Russian and most USN dds, RPF is worth the 4 points because it gives you so much information on the "invisible" ships.  Send torps first at the pointer, aim your guns when they are forced to move and BLAM!

3) For balanced dds, that is the trick.  I started this thread asking about the Gearing.  She is a tricky one. Depending upon her build and captain, she can be torp-centric, gun-centric , or AA-centric.  I haven't figured out where she fits best with my style of gameplay.  I've put RPF back to help in Clan battles for now.

Full disclosure, I didn't try RPF in the German, British, or Pan Asian ships because I'm not quite there yet for captains skills in those lines to play around with 2 4-pt captains skills.  If any of you have put RPF in any higher tiered dds of these, I'd love to hear about it.

[CUTER]
Members
2,832 posts
11,934 battles
42 minutes ago, AMajor said:

After some experimentation with not only USN but other dds I have (and expending doubloons on captain rebuilds), I think that I've answered my own question. 

1) For super stealthy torp-centered dds, TAE is much more valuable.  You spot other dds before they spot you.  RPF tends to give you away.

2) For gun-centered dds like the Russian and most USN dds, RPF is worth the 4 points because it gives you so much information on the "invisible" ships.  Send torps first at the pointer, aim your guns when they are forced to move and BLAM!

3) For balanced dds, that is the trick.  I started this thread asking about the Gearing.  She is a tricky one. Depending upon her build and captain, she can be torp-centric, gun-centric , or AA-centric.  I haven't figured out where she fits best with my style of gameplay.  I've put RPF back to help in Clan battles for now.

Full disclosure, I didn't try RPF in the German, British, or Pan Asian ships because I'm not quite there yet for captains skills in those lines to play around with 2 4-pt captains skills.  If any of you have put RPF in any higher tiered dds of these, I'd love to hear about it.

On the contrary on RPF.  Torp boats like the IJN DDs you want RPF.  You want to know where the enemy DDs are so you can pull off spotting runs on them.  By not having RPF you tend to blunder bow into the enemy DDs and will be forced to smoke or lose a ton of HP.

The gun boats mostly care little about where precisely an invisible DD is.  A Russian DD is just going to try to kill the DDs support then push the DD out of the area.  Of course if the DDs gets spotted the Russian will farm him.  Other gun boats are much the same.

[DBM]
Members
436 posts
5,908 battles
5 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

On the contrary on RPF.  Torp boats like the IJN DDs you want RPF.  You want to know where the enemy DDs are so you can pull off spotting runs on them.  By not having RPF you tend to blunder bow into the enemy DDs and will be forced to smoke or lose a ton of HP.

The gun boats mostly care little about where precisely an invisible DD is.  A Russian DD is just going to try to kill the DDs support then push the DD out of the area.  Of course if the DDs gets spotted the Russian will farm him.  Other gun boats are much the same.

OK, so did I get that wrong?  Please watch the vid from Flamu above.  Gun boats VERY much care where the IJN dds are hiding.

I do get your point about sneaky dds using RPF to their advantage (again, referencing Flamu's vid above).  His deletion of the Shimi division was masterful.

I think that it's part information overload.  I haven't yet figured out how to pay attention to not run into islands as I watch the minimap AND look at the RPF pointer.

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,028 posts
8,925 battles

It has nothing to do with situational awareness. That's the last thing to use RPF for. It gives you a ton of information you wouldn't have otherwise from the very start of the match. You can get into places you normally wouldn't risk going with out it You can actually aim blind torps with it. It's accurate enough that you can see where in a smoke cloud something is without them firing AND what direction they're moving in it. It's also accurate enough to track boats from literally half way across the map down to the square on the mini map. If you can get decent at reading what RPF is telling you along with all the other info the game feeds you, it's fairly easy to set it up so enemy ships pop up in front of your ships pre-aimed and ready to fire. You can push with just the RPF signal.

The thing with RPF letting them know is that's all they know. They have to guess from where you have them RPF detected. You're not guessing. That gives you a massive advantage and it only gets stronger as the number of ships in the match drop.

I find RPF is better on a ship that has decent top speed and agility. I wouldn't called RPF a defensive skill at all.

• Cool 3

[-GPS-]
Members
2,809 posts
30,129 battles

I take RPF on virtually every DD unless another 4-point skill like AFT or IFHE is mandatory. Khab, Udaloi, Tashkent, Daring, Harugumo no. Benson, Fletcher and Gearing absolutely. 

If you brought a Gearing to Clan Wars without RPF, I would ask you to sit out. However, you can make a good argument for Torpedo Acceleration in that special case. I tried that for a while and went back to RPF even for Randoms.

RPF simply provides so much information.  Is this cap clear?  Is there a flanker on that side? Is it worth dropping luck chuck torps into that choke point?  In nekkid Yugumo “Which way should I run?”  In Z-52 “Which way do I charge?”  

There are 3 Flamu videos regarding RPF and they all are worth watching (despite his sometimes toxic arrogance).

[DETN8]
Members
20 posts
5,971 battles
On 12/4/2018 at 10:06 PM, AMajor said:

This is completely wrong

Edited by siners_nest

[CUTER]
Members
2,832 posts
11,934 battles

I play with it and without it on US DDs depending on the builds I'm using.

Clan Battles and Ranked I usually run RPF.

King of the Sea, I often did not run RPF since my CV could do a lot of that scouting on the flanks.

Here's a Benson video running the following build:  http://bit.ly/2Myjcmi

I do forget I'm running B hull testing it out after the rudder shift buff it got from a while ago where B hull previously was slower than C hull's rudder shift.  That's why I am not running DF in the video.

Here's a comparison with a competitive captain on my Gearing running RPF

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[DBM]
Members
436 posts
5,908 battles

Thanks all for the excellent advice.  I've put RL back on my IJN torp boats because now I'm a bit addicted to the Captain's skill now that I know how to use it better.  My highest IJN gun dd is a different story.  The Akizuki plays very different than other IJN dds and IFHE is almost a must for her.

As far as the USN dds, the Benson and Fletcher Captains usually (but not always) have RL.  The Gearing is a different story.  Still trying to figure out the best captains skills, consumables, and flags to set her up with.