You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Steel Estimates

32 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,385 posts
8,263 battles

Please note that the following estimates are based off what can be guessed from the test server and may prove to be incorrect depending on what the live rewards are.

As I'm sure most of ye forumites are aware, this Christmas will feature a (quite extensive) event to obtain Steel. These are my preliminary guesstimates as to how much Steel one can theoretically obtain. Please note that the differences between the test server and the live can be fairly substantial so... we'll see.

First off are the rewards for the "In the Name of His Highness". Currently, it seems to be 500 for each Directive (the four weekly substages). Given what we saw with the similar Royal Navy Event, I'm inclined to believe that there will be some missions that can only be completed with the Prinz Eitel (the Prize for completing the event), encouraging people to straight buy the Prinz. Call me someone who thinks the worst (or best depending on one's PoV) of Wargaming, but I'd be willing to bet that these missions would be rewarded with Steel. Anyways, assuming it keeps to the 500 steel per directive, we're looking at 4 directives per week for 4 weeks, giving a total of 8,000 Steel (did anyone else just here a cashier teller sound?).

There are two campaigns coming with the update, though only "The Mighty Prinz" is currently available on the test server. The other "Steel Monsters" will only be accessible through the premium shop and among it's rewards are opportunities to gain Steel. I'm not wild about this given that it comes close to buying Steel, but at least you also have to put in-game effort into it so I find it acceptable.

While it does note that Snowflake rewards may differ substantially between the test and live server, I'm willing to at least hold out hope that the predicted amounts will increase and not decrease. As it is, each tier VIII and tier IX yields 100 steel while a tier X gives out 200 Steel. Assuming these values carry over, the theoretical value of each tech tree branch is 400 Steel, giving a grand total of 9,200 Steel assuming you've ground out every tech tree and you possess the credits to buy back any tech tree ships you've sold. If one is enough of a whale to have every tier VIII Premium ship (assuming they follow a similar pattern), can obtain 2,300 more Steel (7 DDs, 5 CAs, 9 BBs, and 2 CVs), which might give one enough reason to buy a Black Friday ship since they count as a separate ship. The tier IX and X premiums (Free XP and Coal) add another 600. And finally the Black and the Stalingrad offer around 300 more. Again, this is assuming that everything follows the values on the test server. And as a note, these values stay the same whether one wins a Co-op or Random battle so no one has any right to complain that they can't win when all it takes it beating up a few idiotic AIs.

Accordingly, someone who completes the Prinz Event and has spent no money or unlocked any reward ships but has still ground sufficiently to have all the other in-game goods could be looking at a potential 17,800 Steel (double takes) while those who have brought premium ships and are willing to pay to unlock the Steel campaign could earn even more. Given the somewhat obscene value I've just listed, they'll probably decrease things but who knows (fingers crossed). Either way, I predict Christmas will be rather merry on the server this year.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[PLPT]
Members
195 posts
9,162 battles

That would be a substantial amount, keep in mind, with the coupon, the Stalingrad cost me 21k steel. The balance would still have to be obtained through ranked or clan battles. 

[NGA]
Members
1,385 posts
8,263 battles
6 minutes ago, Zairinzan said:

That would be a substantial amount, keep in mind, with the coupon, the Stalingrad cost me 21k steel. The balance would still have to be obtained through ranked or clan battles. 

Well don't forget that they've also got the Bourgogne in the Arsenal for 30k. And maybe people would want the Flint or Black over the Stalingrad (bursts out laughing). We'll just have to see I suppose. Currently, from what I can tell Wargaming is trying to drain people of their excess resources (which they're kind of responsible for by offering various way to increase their earnings of said resources).

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,714 posts
18,486 battles
17 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Well don't forget that they've also got the Bourgogne in the Arsenal for 30k. And maybe people would want the Flint or Black over the Stalingrad (bursts out laughing). We'll just have to see I suppose. Currently, from what I can tell Wargaming is trying to drain people of their excess resources (which they're kind of responsible for by offering various way to increase their earnings of said resources).

Or you could look at it this way.  Maybe WG is trying to give people things they buy with those "excess" resources.  People have long wished that they could use their excess resources to buy things.  And it appears that WG is responding to customer demand.

• Cool 1

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
1,903 posts
19,318 battles

heheheheheheheheheeheheheheheheehehehehehe   I have 271 ships   hehheehehehehehehehehehehehe

[SOV]
Members
665 posts
11,575 battles

Why not just sell the steel.  If I buy a campain in and its a timed event and I cant finish is then I am out that money for no real gain.

I dont care what they sell in the store, I cant afford a ship past t6 anyway. So just stop playing games and sell it!

• Bad 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
1 hour ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

heheheheheheheheheeheheheheheheehehehehehe   I have 271 ships   hehheehehehehehehehehehehehe

Ingame picture of a part of my anchorage:

Murderers_row_at_Ulithi_Atoll_-_US_Third_fleet_carriers_at_anchor_on_8_December_1944_%2880-G-294131%29.jpg

[PVE]
Members
10,863 posts
7,982 battles
2 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

First off are the rewards for the "In the Name of His Highness". Currently, it seems to be 500 for each Directive (the four weekly substages). Given what we saw with the similar Royal Navy Event, I'm inclined to believe that there will be some missions that can only be completed with the Prinz Eitel (the Prize for completing the event), encouraging people to straight buy the Prinz. Call me someone who thinks the worst (or best depending on one's PoV) of Wargaming, but I'd be willing to bet that these missions would be rewarded with Steel. Anyways, assuming it keeps to the 500 steel per directive, we're looking at 4 directives per week for 4 weeks, giving a total of 8,000 Steel (did anyone else just here a cashier teller sound?).

This is incorrect I believe. There is 1 Stage with 4 Directives. One Directive will come each week, with the 5th week allowing you to finish the Directives per the Dev Bulletin below.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-0712/

The event contains one Stage and four Directives scheduled to arrive once per week, each of which contains 10 to 11 Combat Missions. While the fifth week won’t offer a new Directive, you'll be able to continue with those already made available. Each completed Directive or Combat Mission brings rewards including: camouflage patterns, signals, New Year containers and Steel. The successful completion of the fourth Directive brings you the brand new German Premium Tier VI battleship—Prinz Eitel Friedrich!

So 4 Directives total with 500 steel per Directive, would be 2,000 steel. Question is, will the 5th week allow you to complete any of the Directives or only the last Directive. Since it is supposed to be like the RN event and Directives were available until the Stage ends, it appears that you will have 5 weeks to complete the 4 Directives with, if the PTS is not making it easier, you only needing 6 of the 10-11 Missions to complete the Directive. Based on the RN event, I can see 10-11 Missions needing only 6-9 Missions to complete the Directive to keep with the same ratio of 4 of 6, 5 of 7 and 6 of 8 that were in the RN Event.

2 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

While it does note that Snowflake rewards may differ substantially between the test and live server, I'm willing to at least hold out hope that the predicted amounts will increase and not decrease. As it is, each tier VIII and tier IX yields 100 steel while a tier X gives out 200 Steel. Assuming these values carry over, the theoretical value of each tech tree branch is 400 Steel, giving a grand total of 9,200 Steel assuming you've ground out every tech tree and you possess the credits to buy back any tech tree ships you've sold. If one is enough of a whale to have every tier VIII Premium ship (assuming they follow a similar pattern), can obtain 2,300 more Steel (7 DDs, 5 CAs, 9 BBs, and 2 CVs), which might give one enough reason to buy a Black Friday ship since they count as a separate ship. The tier IX and X premiums (Free XP and Coal) add another 600. And finally the Black and the Stalingrad offer around 300 more. Again, this is assuming that everything follows the values on the test server. And as a note, these values stay the same whether one wins a Co-op or Random battle so no one has any right to complain that they can't win when all it takes it beating up a few idiotic AIs.

Accordingly, someone who completes the Prinz Event and has spent no money or unlocked any reward ships but has still ground sufficiently to have all the other in-game goods could be looking at a potential 17,800 Steel (double takes) while those who have brought premium ships and are willing to pay to unlock the Steel campaign could earn even more. Given the somewhat obscene value I've just listed, they'll probably decrease things but who knows (fingers crossed). Either way, I predict Christmas will be rather merry on the server this year.

The amount of steel for ships could very well be what is in the PTS or not. Since WG is testing the snowflakes and put the T10's in the shop for steel and coal, the values could or could not be correct. It does seem possible that the values could carry over to the live server, so you would be looking at 11,200 steel for having all the T8+ ships instead of 17,800. WG looks to be giving out enough steel to get Flint or Black or to have a down payment on Stalingrad or Bourgogne.

[TOG]
Members
2,821 posts
15,797 battles
On 12/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, JediMasterDraco said:

Anyways, assuming it keeps to the 500 steel per directive, we're looking at 4 directives per week for 4 weeks, giving a total of 8,000 Steel (did anyone else just here a cashier teller sound?).

The other "Steel Monsters" will only be accessible through the premium shop and among it's rewards are opportunities to gain Steel. I'm not wild about this given that it comes close to buying Steel, but at least you also have to put in-game effort into it so I find it acceptable.

So our clan has a 5% bonus

Campaign: 8k 

Snow Flake:

T8: 36 X 100 = 3600

T9: 25 X 100 = 2500

T10  21 x 200 = 2100

Subtotal = 8200

Total: 16200 +(16200*.05) = 17010

I need 15140 to get Stalingrad. Add the Steel monsters..might be able to get the Black as well.. :cap_horn:

[PVE]
Members
10,863 posts
7,982 battles
3 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

So our clan has a 5% bonus

Campaign: 8k 

Snow Flake:

T10  21 x 200 = 2100

Subtotal = 8200

Total: 16200 +(16200*.05) = 17010

I need 15140 to get Stalingrad. Add the Steel monsters..might be able to get the Black as well.. :cap_horn:

The campaign only has 4 Directives, not 16. So the campaign should be 2,000 steel, not 8k, if the PTS numbers translate to the live server.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
10,077 battles
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, jags_domain said:

Why not just sell the steel.  If I buy a campain in and its a timed event and I cant finish is then I am out that money for no real gain.

I dont care what they sell in the store, I cant afford a ship past t6 anyway. So just stop playing games and sell it!

Very unlikely to be timed.

[TOG]
Members
2,821 posts
15,797 battles
13 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The campaign only has 4 Directives, not 16. So the campaign should be 2,000 steel, not 8k, if the PTS numbers translate to the live server.

10200 + (10200*.05)= 10710

Leaves me with 4430 short. So I'll need the Steel monsters campaign.

[PVE]
Members
10,863 posts
7,982 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

10200 + (10200*.05)= 10710

Leaves me with 4430 short. So I'll need the Steel monsters campaign.

That's assuming that the PTS rewards go to the live server. They may or may not.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
10,077 battles
27 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

T10  21 x 200 = 2100

Hi Bill.... you actually will get 4200.

[TOG]
Members
2,821 posts
15,797 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

That's assuming that the PTS rewards go to the live server. They may or may not.

we'll know when the next patch hits..which should be 19th or there about.

[TDG]
Members
1,419 posts
6,514 battles

My main question is what happens with new ships that arrive after the patch drops.  Do they get a snowflake as well?

ETA:  I just checked on PTS, new ships pick up snowflakes.  I expect this mechanic to be in place on the Live server.  I will be waiting to see the payouts to determine which ships I will be buying.

Edited by YeOldeTraveller
Answer my own question

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
10,077 battles

Has anyone looked at the Coal rewards for the lower tier ships? If so can you please post that.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,479 posts

If I can get enough Steel for Flint without buying the paywall campaign, then I'm buying a Flint.

If I can't, then I'll just be sitting on the Steel in case it becomes useful later.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
typo

[PVE]
Members
10,863 posts
7,982 battles
3 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

My main question is what happens with new ships that arrive after the patch drops.  Do they get a snowflake as well?

That will probably be in the patch notes the day before the patch.

[TOG]
Members
2,821 posts
15,797 battles
8 hours ago, paradat said:

Hi Bill.... you actually will get 4200.

Ok one more time

directives: 2k

now Flake:

T10  21 x 200 = 4200

Subtotal = 10300

Total: 12300 + (12300*0.05) = 12915

2225 Steel short of what I need. CB is still ongoing. with Steel monsters...doable.

Now I have to wonder if getting the Hakuryo  is worth it.

Update: Need 1225 now. Clan Battles was good.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
update
  • Cool 1

[TDG]
Members
1,419 posts
6,514 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

That will probably be in the patch notes the day before the patch.

I will be reading those notes very carefully.

I just checked PTS and the new ship got a snowflake.  It makes sense for that to carry through to Live, but time will tell.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
10,077 battles
2 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I will be reading those notes very carefully.

I just checked PTS and the new ship got a snowflake.  It makes sense for that to carry through to Live, but time will tell.

Do you know what the coal rewards are for the snow flake event?

[LUCK]
Members
1,381 posts
20,686 battles

I'm halfway to Flint right now (and no I'm not going to extraordinary lengths to get Stalingrad) so the Snowflake thing should put me over the top. Very cool.

Who'd have thunk it, a useful Snowflake?:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[NGA]
Members
1,385 posts
8,263 battles
7 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

I'm halfway to Flint right now (and no I'm not going to extraordinary lengths to get Stalingrad) so the Snowflake thing should put me over the top. Very cool.

Who'd have thunk it, a useful Snowflake?:Smile_hiding:

Of course Snowflakes are useful. They're a form of precipitation in the winter.

OH! You meant THOSE snowflakes. I guess you could say they're useful if one wants to try and refute Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection.