Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

Players choice! US tech tree cruisers

Players choice: US cruisers tech tree  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite US cruisers (tech tree)! Vote for all of your favorites! Which would you or did you keep? Perhaps this poll will help others decide which US cruisers to keep. Explain your favorites (or least favorites) in detail.

• Erie
    • Chester
    • St. Louis
    • Phoenix
    • Omaha
    • Pensacola
    • Dallas
    • New Orleans
    • Helena
    • Baltimore
    • Cleveland
    • Buffalo
    • Seattle
    • Des Moines
    • Worcester

17 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
5,234 posts
11,966 battles

Let's see how the line stacks up with the players.

Edited by desmo_2

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,565 posts
16,551 battles

I stopped at Omaha for a very long time. Then when they changed the Cleveland's tier and added the split I had enough free xp to get all of the rest to tier 10! They are all keepers.

Members
1,484 posts
9,673 battles

Phoenix--- because nobody expects you to be good playing it.

Omaha---see above.

Dallas---because you can get into flanking positions pretty fast and kill unaware cruisers.

Helena---prefer Boise and Nueve for the heals but not listed.

Cleveland---get into the right position behind an island and it just wrecks face.

Des Moines---radar, positioning and its tanking ability to hold down a position(cap).

Worcester---don't have it yet, soon! Seen enough in action to know how good it is.

[O_O]
Members
5,234 posts
11,966 battles
11 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

prefer Boise and Nueve for the heals but not listed.

Tech tree ships only.  Premium ships not included.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,591 posts
12,352 battles

with the Exception of the Chester, I liked every single USN cruiser.:fish_book:

[O_O]
Members
5,234 posts
11,966 battles

Okay, okay, we LIKE a lot of them.  But, which are the stand-outs?

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,614 posts
7,625 battles

I liked Baltimore the few games I played her, and kept her in my port. Also some historical reasons playing in, I love the design.

Members
69 posts
5,447 battles

I voted for Dallas, Helena and Baltimore.  I have T9 in Heavies and T 8 in CLs.  The Dallas is a fun little ship.  It starts fires and hunts DDs.  The Helena is my favorite.  It is fun and you are much more dangerous to heavy ships because of 15 barrels of HE spam.  With in a 7-8 km radius it is deadly to DDs as they melt in a deluge of HE.  Don't forget about AP when facing other CLs too.  The Baltimore has great USN AP making it a Cit machine and it's HE is good.  It is durable especially bow on to many ships.  I did not include the Cleveland because it is at T8 now. A dangerous world for CLs.  It is still good.  I just do not play it much.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,886 posts
19,277 battles

US Cruisers are a late blooming line.  These stand out quite well.

CLs:

VII Helena - Pure DPM

VIII Cleveland - Good DPM, but super concealment and this is where crazy USN CL Consumables Access starts.  DCP, Defensive Fire, Hydro, Radar all at the same time!

X Worcester - Atlanta but with larger 152mm instead of 127mm guns.  Excellent concealment, The Best AA in the game.  Like Cleveland, crazy USN CL Consumables Access but you have Repair Party on top of that.

CAs: USN CAs get special AP bounce angles.  With 203mm guns, you also do not need IFHE like CLs do.  This is a big plus because that's 4 valuable points to use on something else.

VIII Baltimore - This is where USN CAs start accessing SHS (Super Heavy Shells) AP shells.  These are Des Moines AP shells.  You have respectable concealment, Radar, great AA, and a nice reload speed that IX Buffalo lacks.  27mm bow to face tank 380mm armed BBs.

X Des Memes - SHS AP, insane 5.5 second base reload time for 203mm guns, hard hitting HE.  27mm bow like Baltimore still for the same benefits.  Powerful AA, only Worcester's is meaner.  Now has longer Radar range than Worcester.

If you are patient and forward thinking, as squishy as Pensacola is in Tier VI, her guns are extremely powerful.  If you can handle the slow turret traverse and know how to stay alive in a squishy Cruiser, Pensacola's guns can smash face.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

I think if I was only allowed to keep one tech tree cruiser, it would be the Phoenix.  I used to seriously hate the ship, and only re-bought the  thing to play with a friend who was starting.  Re-visiting the ship, actually taught me a lot of things that have served me well since then.  I rarely take her out anymore, but she won't leave my port.  Without the lessons Phoenix taught me, I would be a much worse player today.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

Omaha- highly maneuverable, evil little fire-starter that can burn BB's down the keel... and it's got torps to boot.

New Orleans- Back when it was tier 8, it was probably the most frustrating and enjoyable of all the cruisers before it. I was surprised by its ability to bounce other cruisers shots and how well it held up even at tier 8. Not much has changed about it being dropped to tier 7, but I still enjoy it enough to give it a vote.

Baltimore- is a worthy successor to the New Orleans. Was a pain in the backside at tier 9, but fits well at tier 8 where it should have been all along. Still fighting to hold the Buffalo in the same regard though...

Des Moines- Beastly guns, tanky frontal armor, radar, and stealth. Customizable for either long-range or short-range combat preferences.

Helena- 15 guns. Nuff said.

Cleveland- Back in tier 6, the Cleveland was THE ship to have. It's been hit in the face with the nerf bat being sent to tier 8, but it is still does a ship-ton of damage and can still hold its own just fine there.

Special shout-out to the Dallas. Didn't vote for it, but it is a good replacement for the Cleveland's tier 6 position.

[O_O]
Members
5,234 posts
11,966 battles

At this point, I am surprised to see the Tier 8 Cleveland leading as the player favorite (36 votes).  Tier 6 Cleveland, sure, but once she got moved up to Tier 8 I figured her shine would tarnish with the players.  I guess not.

Helena and Des Moines tied for 2nd with 33 votes each.  No surprise with those two.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles
16 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

At this point, I am surprised to see the Tier 8 Cleveland leading as the player favorite (36 votes).  Tier 6 Cleveland, sure, but once she got moved up to Tier 8 I figured her shine would tarnish with the players.  I guess not.

Helena and Des Moines tied for 2nd with 33 votes each.  No surprise with those two.

I'm playing Seattle right now.  I'd rather play Cleveland exactly how she is at T9 to unlock Worcester.  That's my limited opinion on Seattle.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles

I have kept the:

Erie - I try to keep at least one ship at each tier to play with friends who are just starting to play the game or starting a new line.  The Erie is the Tier I ship I use for this purpose.

Chester - I did not keep this because I have the Albany (and Smith), so I didn't need another Tier II Tech Tree ship for the aforementioned purposes.

St. Louis - This is the first ship I kept specifically because I wanted to keep it despite having other Tier III premiums and tech tree cruisers from other nations.  Tough and bristling with guns. What's not to like?

Phoenix - I did not keep this one.  It wasn't because there is anything wrong with it.  I just had a Tier IV Premium BB (Arkansas Beta) and a couple of Tier IV Tech Tree cruisers from other nations I kept, so I did not need another Tier IV for the above purposes.

Omaha - I didn't keep this, but I did.  That is, I have the Marblehead, so there was no need for the Tech Tree version, especially since I had other Tier V premiums.

I have a bunch of Tier VI, VII, and VIII tech tree and premium ships, both cruisers and other classes, so I don't need to specifically keep any other ships for the aforementioned purposes, but I have done the following:

Pensacola, New Orleans, Baltimore, Buffalo, and Des Moines -  I have all these.  Prior to the split, I had kept the only the Cleveland (at Tier VI), Baltimore (at Tier IX), and Des Moines, having sold the Pensacola and New Orleans.  When the split was announced, I bought back the New Orleans and bought permanent camos for Baltimore and Cleveland so that I would end up with all the Tier VI - IX CAs plus the Tier VIII Cleveland in port all equipped with permanent camos.  Now that I have all the CAs back in port, I don't plan on selling them.

Dallas, Helena, and Cleveland - I had kept the Tier VI Cleveland because it has been one of my favorite ships since Closed Beta, so I obviously got the Tier VIII Cleveland as a result of the split.  I doubt I will ever get rid of it.  I went back and ground through the Dallas and Helena.  I am keeping the Dallas as an alternative Tier VI to the Pensacola.  I am keeping the Helena because … well … 15 guns.  Since I now have the Boise, I could always sell the Helena, but I don't need the port slot, and it has some differences that make it worth keeping.

I have not yet finished with the Tier VIII Cleveland grind, so I don't have the Seattle or Worcester.  When I get the Worcester, I will keep it regardless as the Des Moines is my only Tier X at the moment.  The Buffalo is my only Tier IX, but I will decide on whether I keep the Seattle once I get to it.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,886 posts
19,277 battles
On 12/3/2018 at 4:20 AM, desmo_2 said:

As it stands now, Cleveland is the great, all around Radar USN CL.

Great DPM as always.

Powerful AA Suite.

Sails well as always.

Cleveland is where USN CLs start getting Radar and their trademark consumables access:  DCP, Radar, Hydro, Defensive Fire all at the same time.

If you like cap support, killing DDs, Cleveland is the only USN Radar Cruiser that her Radar range practically matches her Full Stealth Build Concealment range.  Worcester, Seattle cannot do that.  Atlanta, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Buffalo, not even Des Memes can do that.  Worcester used to be able to have Radar that exceeded her Full Stealth Build Concealment range but not anymore.

Also, IX Seattle and X Worcester Radar range was nerfed to VIII Cleveland's range.

It also needs to be mentioned that with her move to Tier VIII, Cleveland lost the rusty turret rings and her turrets can actually keep pace with her maneuvering.  When she was in Tier VI, that was impossible.

It's no surprise that Cleveland places well among all US Cruisers.  She is an all-around Radar USN CL.

Helena has great DPM but is really nothing more than a damage farmer and does not have the high impact of Cleveland's concealment + radar.

Seattle & Worcester got kicked in the balls in their Radar range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this