You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

WoWs fans seriously try World of Warplanes!

54 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
2,794 posts
11,473 battles

I enjoyed the new WOWP (I haven't played the old one) but what made me stop this were:

-Crashes. Unlike WOWs which is usually stable, WOWP had a tendency to crash during loading screen or after a death (Not that I die too often kappa)

-Grind. I know how I must grind planes but the UI regarding pilot was a mess. I still don't know if I correctly moved my pilot from planes A to planes and I don't know if he takes XP from battle.

-Premium ammo and some premium consummable. If I remember correctly things like extinguisher where premium thing even though it's kinda mandatory which was annoying.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,572 posts
16,569 battles

I will give it a try again. I liked it in testing. But after testing my compu wouldn't handle it. I tried it later on a new compu but population was so low it wasn't worth it. Now that it is 2.0 I'll try it again and hope they haven't screwed joy stick control to much.

Members
1,484 posts
9,673 battles
12 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I will give it a try again. I liked it in testing. But after testing my compu wouldn't handle it. I tried it later on a new compu but population was so low it wasn't worth it. Now that it is 2.0 I'll try it again and hope they haven't screwed joy stick control to much.

It works fine with mouse and keyboard. My brother, who is into flight sims found it a bit awkward, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,594 posts
12,390 battles
3 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

My biggest gripe with WoWp is the economy.

Even with premium, it takes forever to get credits to put upgrades on the planes, let alone skills for your pilots.

^This

Until they fix that problem (which has been addressed at least 100 times on the WOWP forums) I'm not going back.:fish_glass:

also, I hate the new RNG upgrade system for plane equipment!:Smile-angry:

Alpha Tester
328 posts
7,653 battles
3 hours ago, Ebonaries said:

Don't feel bad about where the game ended up despite liking a lot of the aircraft I had collected.  The amount a single skilled player could affect the outcome of matches was in my opinion far more than the other 2 games, not in and of itself a bad thing.  However, I would say they took it to a whole new level of seal clubbing new players and trash talking anyone not as good.  Told the last one before I quit that it was only a matter of time before no one really played wowp the way he and others were going, then his stats and skills wouldn't mean anything.  Few months later most of the aircraft in matches were bots, from a time when bots didn't exist in the game.

Being able to swing matches due to effort and prowess was the best part of WoWP before 2.0

I had more credits than I could spend in WoWP pre 2.0, the economy issue is being overblown in this thread.

The fact that nobody talks about the stupidization of the flight model that was introduced in 2.0; It now feels like the planes are fixed in the middle of the screen and everything moves around it, like a diorama or a plane-on-a-stick, tells me nobody here really knows the game.

Bots were one thing, nobody liked them but they seemed necessary,.. *re-spawning bots* are mobile game level stupid, and shouldn't be used in a serious multiplayer PC title of any kind.

Then you have the removal of plane anniversaries in 2.0, a massive source of free xp, similar to how the upcoming Snowflake event works in this title, with only some kind of vague statement of their return sometime in the future.

I got sealclubbed mercilessly by three man DRACS flights when I joined in 1.6, but then I got better, then with more 'incentive' and practice, DRACS became prey.

I really, really dislike what they did to the game with 2.0.

One game of that 2.0 nonsense and I had to uninstall.

Damn painful.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,830 posts
21,006 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The simple fact is I'm loving Warships so much I don't really have time or interest in another major grind.

This is a big consideration for me as well, who the heck has time for another grindy game? One reason I won't play WoWS for mobile or for a console is because they are separate games from the PC version.... Had they added the ability to link your account so you could continue to work on those things that were common to all three games, it might have made sense. Anyways not well thought out on their part but have learned over time, that is a hallmark of how Wargaming does things.... 

[TBOW]
Members
1,885 posts
12,833 battles

I play it once in a while, I think that is where the code for CV Rework is coming from.  I do enjoy it some.  I recognized the rework code when I saw from having played WoWP.  But they could do more with it.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,330 posts
3,445 battles

I tried it, didn't really like it.    Fighting against other people comes down to only 1 thing, and thats "Can you out-turn your opponent?", if yes, you win the fight, if no, you lose the fight.

Using anything other than a fighter is pointless, again because of being out-turned, heavy fighters are especially worthless.

[PVE]
Beta Testers
322 posts
4,058 battles

I might get in trouble for this but the only flight game i play right now lol...

il2-dev-blog-209-6.jpg

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,260 posts
9,869 battles
7 hours ago, FirestormMk3 said:

I can confirm that 2.0 is a lot better than it used to be.  Leaving aside the sarcasm people are throwing about the CV rework, it's fun for SOME people who like flight games.  Comparing the gameplay to the rework is not a good idea though - it is NOTHING alike.

Fixed that for you.

I loved Warplanes from 1.1/2 to 1.4, sucked it up through 1.7, and flipped it off by 1.8. And last attempt I gave it, after 2.0 was released, and forced me to install the game center I didn't want, was absolute garbage. Mostly because there was actually nothing new about it - it was the same trash as 1.7-9, Just added a new game mode, with even more bots, to remove standard battles, new bombers that just don't make sense and are at best a pain to obtain, and is still plagued by mario kart gimmick bull. I played "Combat Flight Simulator" and both sequels as a kid and prior to 1.5.1 Warplanes played like that with certain realism settings off. I loved playing Afterburner in arcades when that was still a thing. Hell, I played the NES Top Gun game as a kid. But current Warplanes got rid of everything remotely good, took the worst elements of the competing game, and said "here, take this."

Also, not all of us are strictly comparing the gameplay (although there are some similarities just 2 dimensional and other limits, why I refer to it as "Warplanes lite") it's more the concept that you fly the plane, some of us are comparing the scenario too. Because so far the rework is playing out EXACTLY like the lead up to 1.5 - the patch that killed that game and left it with such a crippled population. Reworking an element that was there, but, sort of an outlier from the norm (namely the ground attack planes and the targets). Doing all this hush hush for some time with minimum player input if any till they dropped it on our heads in PT (to their credit, the Warships team did not drop it on our heads in PT but the rest stands). Despite the community lashing out and/or raising concerns across the board, players, CC's ad even ST's, they were intent on shoving the patch down our throats as is regardless of what we wanted, which so far the Warships dev team seems to be doing. They said "Nah, screw any type of history or anything" (removal of ordnance from some fighters, removing historical RoF throwing balance into even further chaos, AA issues, plane performance changes, etc) which the Warships team is doing with new terrible AA mechanics, removal of consistently useful fighters, only controlling 1 squadron at a time forgoing the nonsense that is no ability to control the ship without recalling squadrons, freaking rockets on IJN fighters that never had them, ever, removing half the tech tree and talking about basically making a ship like Essex a freaking firefighting boat or smoke dropper, etc. 

There are multiple things that are reminders of 1.5 in Warplanes - and if they really go down this exact same path they deserve the same slow death Warplanes has suffered.

WoWp is a shell of it's former glory that was pulling players away from the competition and forced that game to be more like it, and Warships is heading down a road that may doom it to the same shell of a game as Warplanes.

[RE]
[RE]
Members
81 posts
2,720 battles

Nah, I'll pass.

edit: maybe if they bring back the aircraft birthdays I'll give it a go again, for the rewards. otherwise my 130+ planes can keep gathering dust

Edited by oldiowaguy
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,821 posts
6 hours ago, FirestormMk3 said:

Again, not remotely a fair comparison as they play nothing a like.  Planes in the CV rework don't play like any flight sim in fact.  It's fine to not like the rework and it's also fine to never play a CV again after it.  This hyperbole out of bitterness I also generally let fly with people just venting in CV rework threads, but when discussing the actual game WoWP the gameplay is as different as this and WoT.  No one would take any flight sim seriously where you moved on a 2D plane and had this style of point-and-click aiming.  It works well here but that's because this is a ship game so it's okay for them to handle (movement wise only) like destroyers that are faster, can't ever stop, and can go through islands.

That's why I refer to the new interface as WOWP-wannabe or WOWP-lite. 

Not that I care for WOWP's gameplay either, but the planes in the rework are an order of magnitude worse, and just objectively inept and laughable as 2018 game design.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles

I briefly considered taking up Planes when I saw this video, but I decided not to. I'm not terribly committed to most games I play.

If they gave out an Eddie pilot, I might reconsider.

[PWH]
Members
135 posts
5,763 battles

I play Wowp for the bomber experience. Nothing like seeing large explosions to comfirm you success, though trying to cap is still a pain as a bomber.

[USFTW]
Members
196 posts
2,031 battles

Tried it right after 2.0 felt like a WT clone. Will stick to WT for now but to each their own.

Members
1,248 posts
6,840 battles

A real shame the way WG self inflicted the damage to WoWP and killed the game, ran off all the players...and for what? 

Now they're back, but the old players are not too interested in going back to learn a new system and doing the slow grind to get up to speed, knowing all the while how WG has a tendency to royally screw up a good thing. Been there and done that and don't want another tee shirt.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,572 posts
16,569 battles

@_Rumple_ I am downloading it now! But if there is no joy stick support I am just wasting time and disk space

Members
26 posts
3,456 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@_Rumple_ I am downloading it now! But if there is no joy stick support I am just wasting time and disk space

Yes, it has joystick support.  I used to use mouse and board, now I use a Logitech Extreme3D Pro joystick and keyboard left hand for functions I don't want on the stick.

Quite playable with a stick.  In fact I wouldn't want to play the game without it.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,572 posts
16,569 battles

@Deltavee Thanks! That is the joy stick I have and it is great for flight and auto racing. I used it also when the game was in beta testing. I use to have Red Baron, Aces over Europe, Aces over the Pacific, European Air War, the Lucas Films Battle of Britain and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, all 3 Microsoft Combat Flight Sims and they were all great. Never could get carrier landing down though. I have Rise of Flight, MS Century of Flight Sim X and Wings of Prey on Steam now.

Members
1,484 posts
9,673 battles
5 hours ago, Crokodone said:

I dont know... are there jets?

Heck yes, and they are fun. Tier 7 is the lowest tier jet but much more prevalent in tier 8+.

[RLGN]
Members
722 posts
5,845 battles
7 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Fixed that for you.

I mean, I think that goes without saying, but sure, be pedantic since I committed the sin of liking something you don't.

Anyway I think that talking about the CV rework is definitely beyond the scope of this thread.  I think I've been pretty clear that it's okay not to like the direction it's going and I've in multiple threads commiserated with the experience of losing a game mode you like, but continuing to compare the two games is disingenuous at best.  It isn't trying to be WoWP and it isn't a "lite" version; I wouldn't even call rail shooter flight games (like StarFox) a "lite" version of a normal flight sim but at least that would be more apt.

Props by the way to @Mheetu, the IL2 games basically became THE single player flight games after the really old days of Aces of Europe and Aces over the Pacific and such on DOS, but I'm dating myself.  WoWP to me is just a little bit of arcadey multiplayer fun, if I want to fly those kind of planes realistically I'm going for that series too.