You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

WoWs fans seriously try World of Warplanes!

54 comments in this topic

[-RUM-]
Members
172 posts
2,006 battles

WOWP 2.0 has been out for over a year now but pop on NA is still small. I know many hated the initial version (not surprising) though the new really offers good gameplay, good MM and features that WoWs would probably benefit from. With the up and coming CV rework fans of it would likely appreciate the model and obviously its cross benefits with the other WG titles (especially WoT where free XP and gold are shared currency). It was a shame that TWA died (though not surprising) but I really would encourage this other war game genre. War Thunder is the more realistic though is still clawing with balance issues. Anyway give it a try if simply to get some gold and free XP for those WoT fans too. Nothing lost except time playing WoWs. Cheers.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,662 battles
3 minutes ago, Sumwunskum said:

WOWP 2.0 has been out for over a year now but pop on NA is still small. I know many hated the initial version (not surprising) though the new really offers good gameplay, good MM and features that WoWs would probably benefit from. With the up and coming CV rework fans of it would likely appreciate the model and obviously its cross benefits with the other WG titles (especially WoT where free XP and gold are shared currency). It was a shame that TWA died (though not surprising) but I really would encourage this other war game genre. War Thunder is the more realistic though is still clawing with balance issues. Anyway give it a try if simply to get some gold and free XP for those WoT fans too. Nothing lost except time playing WoWs. Cheers.

I can confirm that 2.0 is a lot better than it used to be.  Leaving aside the sarcasm people are throwing about the CV rework, it's fun for people who like flight games.  Comparing the gameplay to the rework is not a good idea though - it is NOTHING alike.

[WORX]
Members
1,998 posts
13,484 battles

I did play WOWP, my issue with it is

• they added content that doesn;t make any sense what so ever. (savaging wrecks for rare items from your planes for example)
  • Lvl up your pilot takes forever.

My top complaint is the addition of the salvage parts component. To me it just doesn't make any sense with the over all plane concept. I would love to play WOWP without it since its a fun game.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,662 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Pilot skills work like tank skills in WoT, fewer skills that are often more powerful buffs.  Leveling a tank commander to level 4 is kinda like a 19pt captain in that regard.

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,276 posts
7,571 battles

I have tried WOWP recently  and can confirm it is a lot more fun that is used to be. Worth taking for a spin/

[-RUM-]
Members
172 posts
2,006 battles
7 minutes ago, FirestormMk3 said:

I can confirm that 2.0 is a lot better than it used to be.  Leaving aside the sarcasm people are throwing about the CV rework, it's fun for people who like flight games.  Comparing the gameplay to the rework is not a good idea though - it is NOTHING alike.

Sorry yeah you are right. Concept maybe more than real gameplay.

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
335 posts

Yeah, I did try WoWP. Nothing says fun like being in a tier 1 plane with folks that have been playing the game for years. Games that end 045 to 400 are way too much fun.

Cirran

• Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Members
394 posts
6,472 battles

I've thought about trying it out, but I'm not sure I want to go through another grindy game at the moment.

[SPTR]
Members
25,969 posts
11,451 battles

Ugh WoT tank crew leveling... it took forever to get one to have 4 skill points in that time spent I could get 4 commanders in WoWs to 19 pts.

But maybe I'll give WoWp 2.0 a shot later in the month, just because I loved Heroes of the Pacific, Blazing Angels and Heroes over Europe back in the mid-2000s

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,321 posts
11,832 battles

I tried it when 2.0 came out, and it was fun.  They added some changes a few months back that I really disliked though, and haven't played since.

[CVA16]
Beta Testers
44 posts
5,067 battles

I am a 46% WOWS player. Love it but..

I beta tested WOWP and spent my teen years as a aerobatic assistant instructor in sailplanes, but could not fly WOWPs and either have fun or win. So gave up. With 2.0 release I tried again and had a ball and was getting 50 to 60% win rates. It is not a flight sim in any way but it is fun now. Most of the time zone I play in there is usually only 2 to 6 human players across both teams.  Aggressive  DD players will love the quick fix. Even the new bombers are fun.

[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
756 posts
4,396 battles

If I wanted to play WoWP, I would play WoWS after the CV rework. Sadly, I won't be playing that anymore either :p

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,662 battles
32 minutes ago, Kaga_Kai_Ni said:

If I wanted to play WoWP, I would play WoWS after the CV rework. Sadly, I won't be playing that anymore either :p

Again, not remotely a fair comparison as they play nothing a like.  Planes in the CV rework don't play like any flight sim in fact.  It's fine to not like the rework and it's also fine to never play a CV again after it.  This hyperbole out of bitterness I also generally let fly with people just venting in CV rework threads, but when discussing the actual game WoWP the gameplay is as different as this and WoT.  No one would take any flight sim seriously where you moved on a 2D plane and had this style of point-and-click aiming.  It works well here but that's because this is a ship game so it's okay for them to handle (movement wise only) like destroyers that are faster, can't ever stop, and can go through islands.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,223 posts
13,021 battles

I tried it when 2.0 came out, but the balance is whack across tiers, the servers are underpopulated, and the economy feels too grindy.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,618 posts
10,930 battles

My biggest gripe with WoWp is the economy.

Even with premium, it takes forever to get credits to put upgrades on the planes, let alone skills for your pilots.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,276 posts
7,571 battles
49 minutes ago, Kaga_Kai_Ni said:

rework WOWS cv gameplay is not anything like WOWP, World of Warplanes v 2.0 is 10 x more fun. For a start, if the flight model is not terribly accurate, at least it has the basics, of altitude control, stall speed, fighters, and so forth. WOWS cv rework is more Warcraft flying carpet crossed with 1980s arcade Space Invaders.

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,662 battles
15 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I tried it when 2.0 came out, but the balance is whack across tiers, the servers are underpopulated, and the economy feels too grindy.

I agree with the underpopulated part, but that's because the original version not only had issues, but then they listened to the try-hards that were saying controllers and flight sticks gave players an unfair advantage and that of course mouse and keyboard are always the best controller, so they changed the way a flight stick worked to basically act like you were just moving the cursor around that the plane chases when you use a mouse.  That's when I bailed and while I loved 2.0 the reason I don't play regularly is it is basically just a single player deathmatch game at this point.  Peak hours is usually matches with like 6 total humans and I've played plenty where it was me and one human on the other side.  Always sad when you would see you and then the other team with TWO humans because you also knew you just lost that match.  Haven't played in a few months, couldn't speak to servers now with bombers in full swing and it being the holidays.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,962 posts
18,840 battles

Ehh I get bored with WoWP kind of quickly. I go into a match and fight, get shot down and I feel I am done. Course you respawn. Get shot down again, respawn.. It gets old. Not sure I have ever played a match all the way thru, tend to quit after getting shot down as it should be. The lack of co-op bugs me as well. I have very little clue on what is going on, who is who, what is what and would like to learn the game mechanics by playing PvE before being pitted against human players. The other thing I do not like (same with WoT btw) is the utter confusion of the "Garage"/"Hangar" as compared to WoWS. The sheer amount of crap they throw at you can be overwhelming. When you couple that with only a mild interest in the vehicles, just not worth the effort. I now only mess with either one to farm premium time or gold that I can convert to premium time, to play WoWS. It is a shame too, some of the planes and tanks I have seem really cool. 

Members
94 posts
28 battles

I really like Warplanes. 

I'd say overall it feels more "casual" and "arcadey" than Warships. You have plane respawns and you fight against lots of bots, which gives you a lot of leeway. It's very action packed compared to Warships. None of this is "bad" really, just makes it a very different feeling game.

The economy and grind are easiest of all World of XXX titles. 

2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Yeah the skill system is weird. I'm not sure if anyone has a full skilled pilot -- is it 15 points? -- I think with the exponentially increasing XP requirements this would take until the heat death of the universe. I have a 8-pt crew on my most played plane.

[SIDE]
Members
1,315 posts
9,322 battles
40 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

My biggest gripe with WoWp is the economy.

Even with premium, it takes forever to get credits to put upgrades on the planes, let alone skills for your pilots.

I will agree with the pilot skills being a bit grindy but I find gaining credits there as easy as wows. Possibly it's because I have reached tier 7 and 8 in pretty much every line and it takes a long while to get a tier 9 plane, so my credit pile accumulates. I like WoWp a lot since 2.0, almost as much as WoWs. I gave up on WoT, I don't have the reflexes and dislike the gold ammo usage.

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,662 battles
2 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

I gave up on WoT, I don't have the reflexes and dislike the gold ammo usage.

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2018/02/25/wot-wg-conference-premium-ammo/

They're working on a rebalance of ammo on the scale of the CV rework.  They said at WGfest we'd hear news, and that is where they announced the HUGE overhaul to the game that came this spring.  I'd say you may get your wish on the ammo part.

[WOLFB]
Members
38 posts
7,939 battles

Don't feel bad about where the game ended up despite liking a lot of the aircraft I had collected.  The amount a single skilled player could affect the outcome of matches was in my opinion far more than the other 2 games, not in and of itself a bad thing.  However, I would say they took it to a whole new level of seal clubbing new players and trash talking anyone not as good.  Told the last one before I quit that it was only a matter of time before no one really played wowp the way he and others were going, then his stats and skills wouldn't mean anything.  Few months later most of the aircraft in matches were bots, from a time when bots didn't exist in the game.

Edited by Ebonaries

[SIDE]
Members
1,315 posts
9,322 battles

It depends what lvl of plane, and the time you play. WoWp players are heavily in the tier 4-6 range and at peak times you can face off against quite a number of players. Yes, the game is nowhere near as popular as ships or tanks but it's not the dry oasis that many perceive it to be.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,130 posts
4,851 battles

The problem I have with WOWP is yet another client to be downloaded to my already suffering laptop, and time I don't have in order to play it! :Smile_teethhappy:

The simple fact is I'm loving Warships so much I don't really have time or interest in another major grind.

• Cool 1