You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Omega_gunner

New premium ship idea, a really great idea

29 comments in this topic

[TSG4]
Members
8 posts
4,938 battles

Please wargaming add "Old swayback" USS Salt Lake City

I want the idea that this would be from the movie "In Harm's Way"

It comes with premium Captain Rockwell Torrey (John Wayne) and use his voice for commands

Please make this happen

• Cool 4

Members
432 posts
5,475 battles
3 hours ago, Omega_gunner said:

Please wargaming add "Old swayback" USS Salt Lake City

I want the idea that this would be from the movie "In Harm's Way"

It comes with premium Captain Rockwell Torrey (John Wayne) and use his voice for commands

Please make this happen

A US premium suggestion that isn't another damn BB?

I'm in. Pensacola is a bunch of fun when played right. A t6 USN heavy cruiser (or premium cruiser) is woefully lacking.

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
3,819 posts
1 hour ago, The_Painted_Target said:

A US premium suggestion that isn't another damn BB?

I'm in. Pensacola is a bunch of fun when played right. A t6 USN heavy cruiser (or premium cruiser) is woefully lacking.

Second that point. Has their been a DD or CV yet (I don't believe so)?

I understand the BBs are the big pull to many, but it would be nice.

Members
22 posts
1,324 battles
2 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Second that point. Has their been a DD or CV yet (I don't believe so)?

I understand the BBs are the big pull to many, but it would be nice.

Monaghan, Kidd and Black for DD's, Enterprise and Saipan for CV's.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
340 posts
358 battles
5 hours ago, Omega_gunner said:

Lot of reasons this won't happen

[4HIM]
Members
1,948 posts
4,771 battles
1 hour ago, The_Painted_Target said:

A t6 USN heavy cruiser (or premium cruiser) is woefully lacking.

What's even more lacking is a RN cruiser that can be used as a captain trainer.  RN hasn't had one since removal of Belfast.  

• Cool 4

[USCC2]
Members
3,819 posts
3 minutes ago, Mortis007 said:

Monaghan, Kidd and Black for DD's, Enterprise and Saipan for CV's.

Sorry my bad, I believed it was a thread for FXP ships. Premiums seem 'relatively' balance in their release numbers at least. :Smile_honoring:

[LANCE]
Members
363 posts
3,642 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

What's even more lacking is a RN cruiser that can be used as a captain trainer.  RN hasn't had one since removal of Belfast.  

I’ll 2nd this ^^^ even though I have the Belfast!!

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,329 posts
10,393 battles

:cap_hmm:...............

:cap_yes: YES! this is a good idea!

Members
1,105 posts
5 hours ago, Phil_Swift_With_Flextape said:

As long as we get her with torps, sure. I WANT A USN CRUISER WITH TORPEDOES FOR ONCE.

Phoenix. Omaha. Atlanta. Marblehead. Murmansk.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
741 posts
4,019 battles

Great movie!

I'd love to have her in my fleet.  It would be great if The Duke was the captain, too!

Sadly, I doubt they could get the rights to his voice or appearance.  Too much money.

Too bad.  I'll still buy the ship, though.

Members
1,105 posts
9 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Great movie!

I'd love to have her in my fleet.  It would be great if The Duke was the captain, too!

Sadly, I doubt they could get the rights to his voice or appearance.  Too much money.

Too bad.  I'll still buy the ship, though.

I hear ya.

People whining about torpedo tubes should consider that 1920's US torpedoes were bloody awful, the Pensacola class only had 6 (2x3), and had theirs removed 1933-34 in favor of the 8 x 5"/25 AA armament  and better floatplane accommodations.

A torp-fitted SLC would have horrible AA in a 193x configuration, with near-useless TT.

Edited by So_lt_Goes

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
741 posts
4,019 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

I hear ya.

People whining about torpedo tubes should consider that 1920's US torpedoes were bloody awful, the Pensacola class only had 6 (2x3), and had theirs removed 1933-34 in favor of the 8 x 5"/25 AA armament  and better floatplane accommodations.

A torp-fitted SLC would have horrible AA in a 193x configuration, with near-useless TT.

I agree, 100%.

The torpedoes that our boys had at the start of WW2 were a giant bag of poo as well.  The Navy was actually blaming the sub skippers for the poor performance.  They were terrible and they were the best we had.

US cruisers are anti-air, not torpedo boats.  It was the IJN that was in love with their torps and they had excellent ones.  Well worth the space required to mount them.  USN, not so much.

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
Beta Testers
193 posts
5,608 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I agree, 100%.

The torpedoes that our boys had at the start of WW2 were a giant bag of poo as well.  The Navy was actually blaming the sub skippers for the poor performance.  They were terrible and they were the best we had.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

It was the IJN that was in love with their torps and they had excellent ones.  Well worth the space required to mount them.  USN, not so much.

Not so sure, I seem to remember several accounts of the Jap captains jettisoning their torpedoes on heavy cruisers prior to surface combat after losing a number of ships due to detonations from fire and damage.  I think the captain of the Mogami was charged with dereliction of duty or something along that line.    

Members
5,098 posts
3,075 battles
6 minutes ago, Kraayt said:

Agreed.

Not so sure, I seem to remember several accounts of the Jap captains jettisoning their torpedoes on heavy cruisers prior to surface combat after losing a number of ships due to detonations from fire and damage.  I think the captain of the Mogami was charged with dereliction of duty or something along that line.    

Well yeah that's just a common sense safety procedure. The fact remains that Japanese developed excellent torpedoes, especially compared to poorly performing and unreliable American torpedoes. And the Japanese cruiser mounted torpedoes were used successfully on multiple occasions, and were definitely an overall boon.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
10,841 posts
7,979 battles
1 hour ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Don't forget Flint. It's available for steel and has 8km torps. Marblehead Lima as well.

[SOFOP]
Members
346 posts
4,445 battles
1 hour ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Murmansk is Russian I believe.

[H_]
Members
937 posts

Sometimes I wonder if the concept of "premium" equates to the expectation of OP and meta level performances?  Should that be?  Or, does that cause the game to really be P2P where the grind doesn't exist????  I struggle with the Premium ship concept sometimes???    I'd like to see the Premium ships be the "one off's" like the Wichita or the Alaska (yes, the was the Guam as well...)  Unique ships that just weren't all over the place in the WW2 arena....

Of course, that wouldn't be smart for sales BUT, since we are dreaming, I'd like to see premiums to be "unique"......and not built to be OP..........

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,227 posts
13,027 battles

Fun trivia: Salt Lake City was used as the placeholder name for the T6 Pensacola as it was being tested for migration down from T7.

[PVE]
Members
10,841 posts
7,979 battles
29 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Sometimes I wonder if the concept of "premium" equates to the expectation of OP and meta level performances?  Should that be?  Or, does that cause the game to really be P2P where the grind doesn't exist????  I struggle with the Premium ship concept sometimes???    I'd like to see the Premium ships be the "one off's" like the Wichita or the Alaska (yes, the was the Guam as well...)  Unique ships that just weren't all over the place in the WW2 arena....

Of course, that wouldn't be smart for sales BUT, since we are dreaming, I'd like to see premiums to be "unique"......and not built to be OP..........

Premium ships, by and large, are roughly equal to the tech tree ships.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,333 posts
11,852 battles
14 hours ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Well yeah that's just a common sense safety procedure. The fact remains that Japanese developed excellent torpedoes, especially compared to poorly performing and unreliable American torpedoes. And the Japanese cruiser mounted torpedoes were used successfully on multiple occasions, and were definitely an overall boon.

Not really.  They were employed successfully twice, and one of those fights was against sitting ducks (Savo Island).  The destroyer was the proper weapon for the employment of torpedoes.