You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fyeris

Tier 7 in Tier 9

27 comments in this topic

[WISCO]
Beta Testers
18 posts
2,732 battles

It's obnoxious to have to fight a Musashi in my Scharnhorst. Please lock all games to 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, and 9-10. It would be SUCH a better Matchmaking experience, regardless if the wait for a game increases by 10 seconds. Please, Wargaming. We need this.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 9

Members
4,679 posts
6,848 battles

Can't say I agree with OP BUT I am getting bottom tier against 8-9 tiers in my tier 7 Scharnhorst a bunch now. OK, I accept this.....but win rate in her has gone down a bunch here lately.  Was my best winning ship but no longer.  Things change. Gotta adapt. 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,831 posts
8,796 battles

"For the first time I can't sealclub against T5 in my T7 ship, WG this is unplayable fix this"

• Cool 4
  • Bad 3

Members
489 posts

Sharn can do a ton of dmg to a Musashi.  Dont fight it head on, use your speed, take side shots into its upper belt.  That aside close distance and drop torps into the musashi's bow and stern for high dmg.

[SIDE]
Members
1,324 posts
9,334 battles
3 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

"For the first time I can't sealclub against T5 in my T7 ship, WG this is unplayable fix this"

^This. It's not like WoT where some lower tier tanks literally cannot dmg the higher tier ones. If you play smart, and outplay your opponent you can do well. Musashi is vulnerable, just gotta use cover and work your way around to the flank.

Edited by _Rumple_
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
3,129 posts
14,387 battles
3 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

His model would leave him permanently bottom tier in his shiny horse................

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
8,094 battles

Doubt you ever thought about the T5s when you were consistently clubbing them with T7s though. What goes around comes around

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles

If you think it's bad in Scharn, try fighting a Musashi in Nelson! At least Scharn is fairly protected from immediate death, but Nelson has to work her armor like a champ and bounce those shells like she's got ants in her pants if she wants to not die instantly. Really, all you need to do is figure out how to fight Musashi, though. Is she sniping you? Musashi is seen from orbit, so you should take advantage of that. Outplay her with superior positioning! Go from her comfort zone to yours, all while making yourself a target only at times she can't really return fire. Guns pointed away? Lavish her with your preferred shell! About to get in cover? Shoot her and go undetected! You're only an easy target if you make yourself one.

[WOLF5]
Members
339 posts

....and here comes all the suggestion ,how to play when you are up-tiered..... OP did not ask for help how to play. Getting sick of all the high and mighty players downplaying an obvious and  highly debated problem with wargaming MM practices. Of course playing against 2T+ ships is  manageable. Still,,ships were designed (in game) to play against same tier opponents. There is a reason why ranked and clan battles allows same tier ships only.  To be FAIR. No other reason. If nothing else, up-tiering  should be limited, at least at 50-50 ratio,  one same tier battle after an up-tiered one.... not much to ask. 

Edited by VonSmallHausenn
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,968 posts
13,211 battles

For some reason, I never feel inadequate when I run a T7 against a T9...or anytime I'm down two tiers.  For certain, I understand things might not be equal mano mano....there are some things I cannot do....but that IS THE CHALLENGE!!!!  THAT IS THE FUN!!!!  Figuring out how to beat a better ship.  Figuring out that there are asymmetric differences a T7 can exploit to close the tier gap.  Different Strategies.  Different Tactics.  Different objectives.  LOTS OF OPTIONS.

There are strategic and tactical scenarios where a T7 Scharn is better than a T9 Musashi.  BETTER!!!!  Playing my T7 to balance a T9, even if it's just an even exchange, can go a long way to winning a game.

• Boring 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,764 posts
7,709 battles
12 hours ago, Fyeris said:

It's obnoxious to have to fight a Musashi in my Scharnhorst. Please lock all games to 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, and 9-10. It would be SUCH a better Matchmaking experience, regardless if the wait for a game increases by 10 seconds. Please, Wargaming. We need this.

So true that would be great however Wows makes $$ out of this MM .. so sadly it’s the order of the day

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,764 posts
7,709 battles
13 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

For some reason, I never feel inadequate when I run a T7 against a T9...or anytime I'm down two tiers.  For certain, I understand things might not be equal mano mano....there are some things I cannot do....but that IS THE CHALLENGE!!!!  THAT IS THE FUN!!!!  Figuring out how to beat a better ship.  Figuring out that there are asymmetric differences a T7 can exploit to close the tier gap.  Different Strategies.  Different Tactics.  Different objectives.  LOTS OF OPTIONS.

There are strategic and tactical scenarios where a T7 Scharn is better than a T9 Musashi.  BETTER!!!!  Playing my T7 to balance a T9, even if it's just an even exchange, can go a long way to winning a game.

Yes but your limited options gets boring pretty quick if you like a more aggressive style of play

• Cool 1

[-SYN-]
Members
2,758 posts
8,783 battles
6 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

....and here comes all the suggestion ,how to play when you are up-tiered..... OP did not ask for help how to play. Getting sick of all the high and mighty players downplaying an obvious and  highly debated problem with wargaming MM practices. Of course playing against 2T+ ships is  manageable. Still,,ships were designed (in game) to play against same tier opponents. There is a reason why ranked and clan battles allows same tier ships only.  To be FAIR. No other reason. If nothing else, up-tiering  should be limited, at least at 50-50 ratio,  one same tier battle after an up-tiered one.... not much to ask. 

Then lets force all players to play all tiers evenly enough for it to happen, Oh wait, yeah about that.

There are certain tiers that are just more popular than others, and as a result that causes uneven matchmaking. No amount of Matchmaking rules can adjust for that fact, its a player created problem.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

Guys in their Tier VII ships like Scharnhorst clubbing the ever-living-sh*t out of Tier V ships all the sudden crying about having to face Tier IX makes my day.

What's going on?  You guys leave Tier VIII to find a "Better Clubbing Tier" only to get clubbed again?

• Boring 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,462 posts
4,759 battles

Don't need to adjust MM,  just make the cost of fighting T9/10 what it used to be so you can't spend all day just fighting T9/10 and not loose money.  That would force many players to lower tiers to make enough money to sealclub in T10's as top tier.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,395 posts
2,173 battles
12 hours ago, Fyeris said:

Hello no.  That would be boring as hell.  At least the +1/-1 folks leave some variation possible.

That leaves aside the fact that you've permanently made  the odd numbered Tiers bottom Tier.  In your system Tier VIII, one of the biggest jumps in power due to the concealment module and the increase in hull plating thickness, would stomp all over Tier VIIs every single game with no relief or hope of being top Tier for the Tier VIIs.

[KRAK]
Members
1,545 posts
14,141 battles
24 minutes ago, ryuukei8569 said:

ships were designed (in game) to play against same tier opponents.

MM has always been this way, so you're wrong.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,395 posts
2,173 battles
8 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

MM has always been this way, so you're wrong.

It used to be +/-3.

I recall my final fight in the Kawachi.  The Fuso on my side to the map was AFK so it was left to my Tier III Kawachi to anchor the flank.  I went down fighting two Clevelands, but took one with me and so damaged, and tanked, the fire of the other that the Cleveland with me was able finish it off while remaining almost undamaged.

Edited by Helstrem

Members
2,734 posts
8,001 battles
16 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I will take t7 to t9 fight and be ok. Its t8 to t10 that does not work

Wut? Are you joking? T8s have a easier time facing T10s than t7 do facing T9s. Reason? 

1- T8s get access to Concealment module, which is a huge concealment buff. 

2- Improved plating armor, BBs can bow tank all but Yamato/Musashi guns. While T7 BBs get overmatched by all BBs. T8+ Crusiers can tank DDs calliber shells that T7 cruisers cant, and even tank some BB shells. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles
16 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

It used to be +/-3.

I recall my final fight in the Kawachi.  The Fuso on my side to the map was AFK so it was left to my Tier III Kawachi to anchor the flank.  I went down fighting two Clevelands, but took one with me and so damaged, and tanked, the fire of the other that the Cleveland with me was able finish it off while remaining almost undamaged.

Correct.  Back in the launch era of this game, my first goal in the game was to get Iowa, so I worked the USN BB Line.  I vividly remember playing my old, Pre-Buff, Stock Colorado and staring at Yamato in her full glory (when she had a special heal, because why not), Midway had jet fighters and Tier X Dual TB units, Shimakaze in her full glory (before the IJN DD and torpedo nerfs), etc.  I remember ambushing a Yamato around a corner in the old Islands of Ice map, my guns horribly scattering at 6km, and then the Yamato player KITING my 21kt BB with his 27kt Yamato, slowly, taking his time to swing the guns towards me while I desperately gave chase.  I remember him laughing in Open Match Chat about my attempt just before he blasted my Colorado out of the water with those 460mm guns :Smile_veryhappy:

Hell, I still remember the MM we had before the current version, +/-2 with no real big MM protection.  We used to have Molotov slaughtering Kumas and Phoenixes, Arizonas beating up on Wyomings, etc.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SOV]
Members
660 posts
11,569 battles
1 minute ago, Xlap said:

Wut? Are you joking? T8s have a easier time facing T10s than t7 do facing T9s. Reason? 

1- T8s get access to Concealment module, which is a huge concealment buff. 

2- Improved plating armor, BBs can bow tank all but Yamato/Musashi guns. While T7 BBs get overmatched by all BBs. T8+ Crusiers can tank DDs calliber shells that T7 cruisers cant, and even tank some BB shells. 

My year 8 cruisers have a harder time at t10 than crusier at t9.

T9 ships are not that good. There rof is around 10 to 15sec t10 is 4 to 10. Armor at t9 is ok armor at t10 amazing.  

I just think t9 ships are good while t10 are amazing.

[KRAK]
Members
1,545 posts
14,141 battles
2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

It used to be +/-3.

Exactly. They made it even easier by having +/- 2 and it still isn't good enough. When I said MM was always this way I was referring to having ships up tiered, it doesn't matter by how many tiers.