You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Incendiary_Tanker

Titanic sinking: Morse code messages

22 comments in this topic

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

A rather somber but interesting video I stumbled on which highlights all the known Morse code messages between Titanic and other ships in the area during her sinking. Do note that the first 00:53 to 1:40 mins of the movie contain an audio error.  And note that Titanic uses her code name MGY in the audio but the text denotes her "real" name.  

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles

For those of you looking like I was, 22:37 is when the operators switch to SOS.

Also, it's a little chilling to see the messages get more and more desperate as time goes along.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,031 posts
9,363 battles

im guessing around 2:17AM was when her power cut out and she split in 2

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,595 posts
12,398 battles
43 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

For those of you looking like I was, 22:37 is when the operators switch to SOS.

Also, it's a little chilling to see the messages get more and more desperate as time goes along.

agreed.:Smile_amazed:

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles
11 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

im guessing around 2:17AM was when her power cut out and she split in 2

IIRC, not quite. they stopped sending messages before then because the water level had reached the room where Jack Phillips and Harold Bride (the two Morse code operators) were stationed, so they booked it out of there. Bride survived the sinking, while Phillips didn't.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts

There is also this. It overlays the radio traffic with a simulation of the sinking. The final few minutes are pretty inaccurate, but overall worth watching

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
723 posts
9,776 battles

A little history.  The SOS sent by the Titanic was actually the first time the SOS code had ever been used.  If I remember correctly it was first thought to be a joke by some of the receiving ships.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
9 minutes ago, Viper069 said:

A little history.  The SOS sent by the Titanic was actually the first time the SOS code had ever been used.  If I remember correctly it was first thought to be a joke by some of the receiving ships.

Thats a bit of a miss conception. SOS was adopted a few years before Titanic and had been used sparingly by operators. The joke about SOS was the decision to use it. One of the radiomen quipped it might be the last chance you get to send it.

Another tidbit, SOS actually has no meaning. It was adopted because it was so easy to send even an absolute novice could key the Morse code pattern needed.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
723 posts
9,776 battles
9 hours ago, MG1962 said:

Thats a bit of a miss conception. SOS was adopted a few years before Titanic and had been used sparingly by operators. The joke about SOS was the decision to use it. One of the radiomen quipped it might be the last chance you get to send it.

Another tidbit, SOS actually has no meaning. It was adopted because it was so easy to send even an absolute novice could key the Morse code pattern needed.

Now you see, you're never too old to learn.   I've been wrong about that my whole life.  FYI, misconception is one word. :fish_aqua:

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles
10 hours ago, MG1962 said:

There is also this. It overlays the radio traffic with a simulation of the sinking. The final few minutes are pretty inaccurate, but overall worth watching

I'm not sure what you mean about the final few minutes being inaccurate. The Titanic broke in two just like how everything else I've read described it.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
42 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

I'm not sure what you mean about the final few minutes being inaccurate. The Titanic broke in two just like how everything else I've read described it.

Yeah, the problem is, the stern is way to far out of the water when she snaps. Reverse engineering the debris field suggests the angle was no more than about 19 degrees.  Also now it is agreed it was not a clean snap. The stern was still attached via the keel plates when the she began her death plunge.

There is an extremely good doco on Youtube. James Cameron went and dived the wreck site and then pulled in a bunch of naval architects to figure out some of the weird things noticed across the wreck site

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
1 hour ago, Viper069 said:

Now you see, you're never too old to learn.   I've been wrong about that my whole life.  FYI, misconception is one word. :fish_aqua:

Agreed. I learned that a few years ago, and I have been fascinated by the wreck since I was a kid back in the 60s

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles
3 hours ago, MG1962 said:

Yeah, the problem is, the stern is way to far out of the water when she snaps. Reverse engineering the debris field suggests the angle was no more than about 19 degrees.  Also now it is agreed it was not a clean snap. The stern was still attached via the keel plates when the she began her death plunge.

There is an extremely good doco on Youtube. James Cameron went and dived the wreck site and then pulled in a bunch of naval architects to figure out some of the weird things noticed across the wreck site

I'm a little surprised that they were able to find that stuff out. There's basically nothing left of the wreck; All the metal has been rusted away and eaten by micro-organisms in the cold, oxygen-rich waters over the past 106 years.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
723 posts
9,776 battles
4 hours ago, MG1962 said:

Agreed. I learned that a few years ago, and I have been fascinated by the wreck since I was a kid back in the 60s

Yea, grew up in the 60's as well.  I've got an old book about the Titanic.  It belonged to my great grandmother, printed in 1917.  Keep it out in the gun safe with the family jewels.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
1 hour ago, Viper069 said:

Yea, grew up in the 60's as well.  I've got an old book about the Titanic.  It belonged to my great grandmother, printed in 1917.  Keep it out in the gun safe with the family jewels.

Have you read it? 

I have seen a couple of books from the time really getting into the controversy of the ship splitting or not. I must confess I saw some sketches from one of the few surviving officers to get off the ship that clearly showed the ship broke in two. So I always assumed he would know better than anyone what happened. If he said she snapped in half.....you could take that to the bank

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
723 posts
9,776 battles
48 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Have you read it? 

I have seen a couple of books from the time really getting into the controversy of the ship splitting or not. I must confess I saw some sketches from one of the few surviving officers to get off the ship that clearly showed the ship broke in two. So I always assumed he would know better than anyone what happened. If he said she snapped in half.....you could take that to the bank

I read it over forty years ago.  Don't remember much detail.  Some really good photos of survivors and such.  I remember the casualty list taking more than a couple of pages.  I don't remember if it mentions the ship breaking apart before going under.  Going to have to dig it out and take a look.

[13TH]
Members
4,872 posts
8,357 battles

One of the issues with why the ship was damaged the way it was is the metal used to construct her and the rivets was found To be far more brittle than ships of today so this contributed to its sinking so instead of being stoved in it shattered 

[ERN]
[ERN]
Members
639 posts
9,207 battles

Fascinating, yet chilling...

As an amateur Titanic historian, no matter how much I've read/watched about her and her tragic first voyage over the years, I've always find something new to learn.

1+!

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles
9 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

One of the issues with why the ship was damaged the way it was is the metal used to construct her and the rivets was found To be far more brittle than ships of today so this contributed to its sinking so instead of being stoved in it shattered 

I read that years ago. The 320 foot "gash" in her hull actually wasn't a gash, it was where the iceberg popped the rivets out of the hull.