You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

RIP George H.W. Bush

36 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,334 posts
6,235 battles

Today, on November 30, 2018, at 10:10 pm central time, the 41st President of the United States, as well as former USN Avenger torpedo bomber pilot of USS San Jacinto (CVL-30) during WW2, vice president, and director of the CIA, George H.W. Bush died at the age of 94.

He is survived by 2 siblings, 5 children (and their spouses), 17 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren.

Regardless of whether or not one agreed with his policies during his tenures in various governmental positions, nobody can deny his bravery during WW2 when, despite being hit by AA fire during a bombing raid on the Japanese military base on Chichijima, he successfully completed his bombing run and flew out over the ocean before ditching. Of the nine pilots during the attack that were forced to bail out, he was the only survivor: the rest were captured and killed (and some eaten) by the Japanese.

For this action, he earned the Distinguished Flying Cross. The citation states:

Spoiler

"For heroism and extraordinary achievement in aerial flight as Pilot of a Torpedo Plane in Torpedo Squadron FIFTY ONE, attached to the U.S.S. San Jacinto, in action against enemy Japanese forces in the vicinity of the Bonin Islands, on September 2, 1944.

Leading one section of a four-plane division in a strike against a radio station, Lieutenant, Junior Grade, Bush pressed home an attack in the face of intense antiaircraft fire. Although his plane was hit and set afire at the beginning of his dive, he continued his plunge toward the target and succeeded in scoring damaging bomb hits before bailing out of the craft.

His courage and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Reserve."

Rest in peace, sir.

• Cool 17
  • Bad 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
128 posts
2,223 battles

Thanks for the notice OP, and RIP Mr. Bush....

[WORX]
Members
2,009 posts
13,507 battles

I dont agree with the Bush Family's politics or ideology. That said, the man deserves my respect for serving in the Military. From his generation, came tremendous heroes of war.

I think I did a good job leaving politics out of it.

Mr. Bush, LtJG Rest In Peace, we will continue the watch from here.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,329 posts
10,390 battles

:Smile_sad: for the love of. November claimed so many lives this year. so depressing.:Smile_sad: least he's at peace now.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,760 posts

Never been a fan of US politics, nor of him, but he's a man that has earned his place in Arlington. Cheers, George. Nap well!   o7

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SPTR]
Members
1,938 posts
930 battles

I watched a documentary a while back on Guadalcanal where he explained the background of the operation from the deck of USS Texas. While I don't agree with his political ideals, he was a Navy vet, like my father and grandfather, and that is of itself demands respect.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator
744 posts
309 battles

Folks while we do have a bit of a lighter hand here in Off Topic, we do need to draw a line somewhere.  Please refrain from discussing politics in order to avoid any unnecessary moderation.  Thank you!

• Cool 7
  • Bad 3

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,602 posts
2,086 battles

RIP President Bush.  You served with grace and honor.    A civility  that ended with your term, never to be seen again.  

• Cool 2

[RN]
Beta Testers
255 posts
4,610 battles

This marks the end of an era. However, unlike what MacArthur remarked regarding old soldiers, he won't fade away.

Edited by Yank59

[WORX]
Members
2,009 posts
13,507 battles
2 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

There fixed your posts so They Are Acceptable in This Forum Now So they Now say what matters

^^^ Reading/comprehending  is so over powered.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[BLHK]
Members
472 posts
3,673 battles

Where ever he is now, he is with his beloved Barbara.  I think many people across the idealogical divide could learn a lot about how to behave from this former president.

RIP sir.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,540 posts
9,560 battles

Always sad to see great leaders who served their country their entire lives have to leave us. But at least their legacy is one of great service and honor.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,291 posts
9,598 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Always sad to see great leaders who served their country their entire lives have to leave us. But at least their legacy is one of great service and honor.

He was also the last leader before our politics became a train wreck. Here is hoping that the gets back on the tracks soon.

[ARRGG]
Members
171 posts
7,257 battles

some jerk was bad mouthing him in a battle, told everyone to block chat him.

Did not know he was good friends with former Canadian PM Brian Mulroney, who will be giving a eulogy at next weeks funeral.

[PSP]
Members
6,670 posts
9,721 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

94 is a damned good run.

Jimmy Carter is 94 and is now the oldest living ex-president. I hope that he lives to 100 because I think that he has done more for the country as an ex-president than any other president in history except for Teddy Roosevelt. In a little over three months Carter will be the oldest ever ex-president in history.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
346 posts
12,432 battles

May he rest in peace.

Wow! What a different between here and the WOT forum. If I started a topic like this at WOT I'd get a strike and ban. Last year at WOT I got a strike, two warnings and a three day ban for quoting retired general Kelly's comment that "the finest men and women on earth can be found in Arlington National Cemetery."  Someone else quoted him too but they didn't attach his name to the quote so they didn't get in trouble.  What happened last year was the latest example of why I spend money on WOWS but permabanned WOT from my wallet three years ago.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,249 posts
4,942 battles

A man I respected a career I admired and a marriage that redefined accomplishment... RIP sir, may you rest in Gods arms! 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,142 posts
18 minutes ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

A man I respected a career I admired and a marriage that redefined accomplishment... RIP sir, may you rest in Gods arms! 

I   OTH  Respected his Predecessor  Far Far More   In Fact the only President I Respect  More got in only(Died 1972) because His Predecessor Died in Office  and he served during  WWI

• Bad 3