You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xAnchobi

High tier cruisers...Useless?

40 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,593 posts
15,078 battles

T10 cruisers are great. T9 is pretty much a suck tier across all cruiser lines, however, so there's a big speed bump on the way there. T8s are good, but many don't uptier well, and they all have problems lasting to late game because they don't have repair party yet.

[SOV]
Members
2,872 posts
3 hours ago, suc_my_ethereal_pp said:

I hear from many people that cruisers are useless above tier 7 or 6, Is this really true? I mean some cruisers have torps so they can engage BB. But some cruisers don't have the fire power.

What are your thoughts? 

MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA it means useless in japanese

ece.gif

No thats not true. Des beats everything

[MLPVA]
Members
290 posts
3,564 battles

Whoever told you T10 CA/CL are useless has never been on the recieving end of the flamethrowers that are the Zao, Des Moines, and Worcester. HE Spam PTSD right there.

• Cool 2

Members
23,178 posts
5,841 battles
12 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

IMO, If you're a new player going up the RN cruiser line. You're not going to like the experiance of grinding those ships with the new BB AP changes in place. 

Why not?

[H_]
Members
2,273 posts

I only have the Zao and to call that ship "useless" is just wrong.  Now, I am a super spud grand national and certified POTATO with several Additional Skill Identifiers (Mashed and Baked), so i can't comment on the other Nation's cruisers, BUT the Zao is a match for any CA in the game....  Holy crap, she's a well designed six pack of whoop a** looking to misbehave against all expectations no matter where or when....  The only thing she has against her is durability in slug fests....  The Mogami is another of the IJN cruisers that is not only significantly dangerous but, if chased, becomes even more dangerous because she excels in stern chases.....   Think starting fires and a slew of 8 or 10K torps headed your way as she turns out of engagements.....

Wow OP, troll on if you must,  but the IJN Cruisers ain't for the Uber-Aggressive but, are most definitely armed to the teeth and for smart, non-potato CPT's, and are extremely dangerous when sailing in small teams of ships.....

Edited by Asym_KS

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles

The only high tier cruisers that are useless are the ones driven by guys who think a Des Moines and with a spotted plane is better than one with radar.

• Cool 1

[MKF]
Members
459 posts
17,377 battles
19 minutes ago, Shadeylark said:

The only high tier cruisers that are useless are the ones driven by guys who think a Des Moines and with a spotted plane is better than one with radar.

Heh heh well said

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,520 posts
15,594 battles
27 minutes ago, Shadeylark said:

don't forget that said captain also feels that same Des Moines is best used in open water,  well away from any islands.

[13TH]
Members
4,872 posts
8,338 battles
15 hours ago, suc_my_ethereal_pp said:

I hear from many people that cruisers are useless above tier 7 or 6, Is this really true? I mean some cruisers have torps so they can engage BB. But some cruisers don't have the fire power.

What are your thoughts? 

ece.gif

X Cruisers are good, have Zao, Hindenburg and Worcester each has to be played a certain way, but there solid and fun.. however

Vlll and lX Cruisers have a big disadvantage in that you are uptiered more than not fighting these X ships .. not so much fun but grind through them it’s well worth it I do not play the Vlll or lX anymore but keep them around fo Special events such as ranked were they may be needed

[SIDE]
Members
2,493 posts
15 hours ago, suc_my_ethereal_pp said:

What are your thoughts? 

ece.gif

I don’t know who would say such a thing but you definitely need to stop listening to them. Cruisers are even more lethal, capable and are considerably more survivable at high tiers. In my opinion cruisers are the one type of ship whose weapon systems scale best as you go up.

No, whoever said that misspoke.

[_WAR_]
Members
7 posts
2,122 battles

In the high tiers you get blapped much more often for mistakes; one small misplay and you'll get roflstomped, especially since tier X battleships have massive [edited]-you autopen shells. (excluding Battleship Moskva) If you misposition then you're going to get focused down by BBs who know they can overmatch, as there's no way in most high-tier cruisers for you to bounce BB shells.

I find that it's much less consistent in the lower tiers -- you can still get blapped for messing up your angling at tier 4 or 5, but it's much less likely. Depends on who you get into a match with. You'll get away with mistakes more often, but not always.

[_WAR_]
Members
7 posts
2,122 battles
On 12/1/2018 at 1:37 PM, thebigblue said:

I don’t know who would say such a thing but you definitely need to stop listening to them. Cruisers are even more lethal, capable and are considerably more survivable at high tiers. In my opinion cruisers are the one type of ship whose weapon systems scale best as you go up.

No, whoever said that misspoke.

Agreed, cruisers get a lot more power at higher tiers; cruiser DPM is indeed monstrous at tier IX and X. However, I'd make the point that the power of other classes increases as well, so in addition to you having much more firepower at your disposal, the other classes will have it easier to punish you for small mistakes.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,805 posts
15,348 battles
On 11/30/2018 at 9:37 PM, xAnchobi said:

I hear from many people that cruisers are useless above tier 7 or 6, Is this really true?

No.  It's false.

Members
76 posts
4,172 battles

I have DM, Zao, Hindenburg and Henry as t10. Now I feel fine. But when I first got into t10 with DM (two years ago), I was so bad that I just quit. So I kind of understand that sentiment. 

But most of the time, your ships are fine. It's just the players. 

Edited by liangshepherd