You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xAnchobi

High tier cruisers...Useless?

40 comments in this topic

Members
36 posts
413 battles

I hear from many people that cruisers are useless above tier 7 or 6, Is this really true? I mean some cruisers have torps so they can engage BB. But some cruisers don't have the fire power.

What are your thoughts? 

MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA it means useless in japanese

ece.gif

• Boring 1

Members
739 posts
9,181 battles

Not sure but my Atlanta just made it to the top XP earner and won in tier 9 battle...
I guess it's the captain behind the monitor if he knows how to use that ship...

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,156 posts
29,701 battles

Ask that of Hindenburg or Zao.

Fiji may have a word with you too. Not to mention Helena and Baltimore

Who comes up with these nonsense comments about useless cruisers? 

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,355 posts
8,274 battles

They are not at all useless, they are quite powerful when played correctly.

It does get harder to play them correctly though.  At low and mid tiers cruisers have a lot more freedom to operate.  At high tiers, one wrong move, one yamato salvo from halfway across the map, and it's back to port.

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
8,314 battles
Just now, alexf24 said:

Fiji may have a word with you too.

or Cleveland might call you a "SOB"....:Smile_teethhappy:

[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,211 battles
Just now, alexf24 said:

Fiji may have a word with you too.

I was about the say the same :D

Anyway high tier cruisers are a pain for everyone if played right. 

[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,211 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Since everybody answered your question,my thought is how did you get past username control ? :Smile_hiding:

Time to report? :D

[WORX]
Members
4,171 posts
15,285 battles

IMO, If you're a new player going up the RN cruiser line. You're not going to like the experiance of grinding those ships with the new BB AP changes in place. That I can assure you. So yes RN cruiser line is not for the Newbies or the faint of heart or with high blood pressure.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,169 posts
4,785 battles
2 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

Time to report? :D

I can't report such a name. It would be sacrilege :Smile_ohmy:

Edited by warheart1992
  • Funny 1

[EGO]
Members
3,653 posts
16 minutes ago, suc_my_ethereal_pp said:

I hear from many people that cruisers are useless above tier 7 or 6, Is this really true? I mean some cruisers have torps so they can engage BB. But some cruisers don't have the fire power.

There's this thing called radar. It's pretty useful.

Members
36 posts
413 battles
5 minutes ago, awiggin said:

So obviously a troll post, the name should be a dead giveaway....

Boy I sure wish it was

Members
980 posts

Useless no but the player better know the game very well and what that Cruiser does.

If you cannot fire over islands Des Moins is useless.

Hindenburg IMHO not a DD semi god....this is an average ship. 

If you are just now advancing into higher Tiers I strongly recommend BBs or DDs.  

Tier 9 and 10 Cruisers are fine for co op for newish players. 

[CRMSN]
Members
8,253 posts
8,702 battles
7 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Useless no but the player better know the game very well and what that Cruiser does.

If you cannot fire over islands Des Moins is useless.

Hindenburg IMHO not a DD semi god....this is an average ship. 

If you are just now advancing into higher Tiers I strongly recommend BBs or DDs.  

Tier 9 and 10 Cruisers are fine for co op for newish players. 

My open water DM would like a word with you.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,694 posts
11,727 battles

Cruisers are at their best at T10 in my opinion. Your firepower and tool sets become pretty good, your repair allows significantly better longevity. My 4 most played T10's are cruisers, and T10 cruisers are 2nd and 3rd for my most played ships total. There's a good range and balance for them.

T9 is ok... there are a number of traditional T9 'gates' such as Seattle and Neptune, but even the weaker ships in my opinion have their fervent fans.

T8 is very problematic. A large number of the cruisers there have been traditionally very weak, and matchmaking has typically hurt them. The difference between a 35k HP cruiser and a 50k HP one with twice the DPM is pretty profound. The difference in lethality between a Montana and a Baltimore is enormous. The ability of the T8's to counter other ships is lower. They can't play the 'I still have good concealment and can spot' game of T8 destroyers or the 'I still have 32mm to bounce that Montana' of T8 battleships. The T8's cruisers which remain good tend to have repairs (go figure...) or be downtiered former T9's.

• Cool 1

[KKM]
Members
808 posts
9,373 battles

Any ship in the right hands can be a game winner and carry the day.  High tier cruisers are challenging to play, and very rewarding when played correctly.  We have all seen underperforming ships wreck enemy teams when the player just knows how to play that ship and the player has a thing called situational awareness.

[STURM]
Members
465 posts
4,027 battles
6 minutes ago, mofton said:

T8 is very problematic. A large number of the cruisers there have been traditionally very weak, and matchmaking has typically hurt them. The difference between a 35k HP cruiser and a 50k HP one with twice the DPM is pretty profound. The difference in lethality between a Montana and a Baltimore is enormous. The ability of the T8's to counter other ships is lower. They can't play the 'I still have good concealment and can spot' game of T8 destroyers or the 'I still have 32mm to bounce that Montana' of T8 battleships. The T8's cruisers which remain good tend to have repairs (go figure...) or be downtiered former T9's.

I think the biggest problem for them is the lack of heal. If they take a big hit early on, they have to play super cautious because they can't rely on stealth or armor to help them.

(Also, I'm pretty sure any BB is much more leathal than a criuser. Did you mean Des Moines instead of Montana?)

But, no, cruisers from tier 7 and up are most definitely not useless. They might be a bit harder to play, but we wouldn't have nearly as many threads crying about radar if they were useless.

Edited by Baskerville77

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,694 posts
11,727 battles
5 minutes ago, Baskerville77 said:

(Also, I'm pretty sure any BB is much more leathal than a criuser. Did you mean Des Moines instead of Montana?)

I meant Baltimore. I had two poorly explained points -

1. The leap in BB lethality to T10 is huge, a T10 battleship is IMO far more lethal to a T8 cruiser than say a T9 battleship to a T7 cruiser, or a T8 battleship to a T6 cruiser
  2. The ability of a T8 cruiser to inflict significant damage on a T10 battleship is typically pretty weak, they get a big leap in HP from T9-T10 while T8 cruisers typically don't get much more firepower over T7's. The difference between Des Moines (10.9 RPM) and Baltimore (6 RPM) is immense. If Montana's balanced against withstanding 10.9 RPM then your 6 get you nowhere.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
1 hour ago, suc_my_ethereal_pp said:

What are your thoughts? 

T8 and higher cruisers are at their best. they get insane DPM and decent tank. At middle tiers they are at their worst, their DPM is ok but but their are made of glass. 

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,373 posts
14,850 battles

Its hard 9t the cruiser,  it's the player that makes them useless.