You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HMCS_Devilfish

Worcester guns

9 comments in this topic

[13TH]
Members
4,872 posts
8,358 battles

Has anyone had any success with the module that extends the main gun range to 19.4 k with a cost of adding .6 seconds to load time on Worcester. I tried it but found my damage  done was cut in halve so I went back to the shorter more accurate to me range of just over 16 k

[-BRS-]
Members
1,586 posts
16,530 battles

I see lots of players use it.......But they like to stay away from the caps,  Stay away from anything they could radar, Stay away from being able to support their DDs.

You can be still be productive using it that way if your team is good enough to overcome all the things that you could be providing them with by being closer to the fight.

For me I do not like the extended detection of using the range mod,  Yammys on the outside looking in, that may pick me up from 18 km away firing at their teammates over and island is not something I want to deal with.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,962 posts
19,413 battles

It depends on what you like to do.

If you were the type of Worcester player that liked to intercept DDs, the increased gun range also increases your gun bloom range.  With the shorter gun range, you can go out, kill the DD, and when the DD dies, if nobody else is in your shorter gun range, you immediately "Go Dark" again.  If you had that 19km gun range, you'll stay detected until you go back into stealth.  That may be time for an extra BB salvo or two to go fly your way and smash you.  I liked intercepting DDs with Worcester, so extra gun bloom going to 19km was counterproductive for me.

I will say that I didn't use the extra range mod.  Maybe it can be useful to harass guys trying to camp from safer ranges, I don't know.  I merely made do with the standard 16.71km gun range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
583 posts
5,279 battles

The only use of it that I've seen be effective was in competitive arenas where one employs it as a simple burn tool for stationary targets when everyone is accounted for.  There's simply too many better targets in randoms to use it there...and as mentioned, you can get blapped from afar much easier.  Too many better targets, and too many unaccounted for threats in randoms.  More importantly, the Wooster is one of the best kiting ships in the game.  The rests on the notion that you can burn them down before they can blap you enough to matter.  IMHO...anything that lessens that ability would seem to be counterproductive to it's most effective play style. 

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,553 posts
11,112 battles

I think your too far out for effective hits...I have seen players trying to hose a ship down from that range, and it is NOT like dodging raindrops...its a lot easier!

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,618 posts
12,126 battles

Shells in my opinion are way to floaty for that. Worcester likes to be closer.

[13TH]
Members
4,872 posts
8,358 battles
9 hours ago, paradat said:

Shells in my opinion are way to floaty for that. Worcester likes to be closer.

That’s been my experience also getting hits at 19 k is not easy with the longer flight times not only that but for some reason the accuracy of the shorter ranges 15-16k seemed to suffer not sure what’s up with that

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,543 posts
8,273 battles

If you want to hurl shells from max range play another cruiser, Worcester is strongest when you abuse its concealment, consumables, and DPM in close range ambushes. You won't be very effective trying to rain fire from 20km compared to other cruisers that can do it better. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,962 posts
19,413 battles

The thread made me remember my very first experience with Neptune.  I got her, saw her fast ROF compared to Edinburgh, and immediately thought, "British Atlanta (sort of) but with RN CL AP shells!"  I put range mod on, did the rest of the build, and hit BATTLE!

To my horror the shells took forever to fly through the air even at normal upgraded gun ranges.  I remember trying to hit a maneuvering, very distant, fleeing FDG for something like 1-2 minutes of continuous fire, and I had maybe a handful of hits the entire time.

I imagine Worcester would be the same way.  Minotaur's shells behave exactly the same at long range.  Maybe if the target is sitting still, but even a BB that's maneuvering at long range can be annoying to hit.