Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jef_Roberts

West Virginia 1941... almost

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

10
[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
29 posts
4,408 battles

The new WeeVee 1941 is a beauty. All the power and beauty of the standard type US battleships. I'm delighted to add her to my fleet. BUT, what's with the boring generic dazzle camouflage? West Virginia was painted in Measure 1 in 1941, the USN standard paint for BBs.  If you are going to sell her as the 1941 version, she should LOOK like the 1941 version down to her Measure 1 paint job.

Not offering that is a missed opportunity, WoW.

Still, thrilled to see her added to the game. Maybe we can get the California (flagship of the battle fleet) to go along with her so we can assemble a Pearl Harbor battle line.

Jef

e24317625e50cae57f445b0b6c1691f5.image.500x313.jpg

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,516
[RLGN]
Members
8,688 posts
17,952 battles

I just like the ‘at Sea’ look of the captain’s uniform; I think that may have sold me on getting it more than anything else.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
309
[CVA16]
Members
2,458 posts
10,153 battles

Still wonder at the wisdom (of WG and the potential WV buyers) of fielding another slow US BB with little to no AA at the same time as they are doing the CV rework which could (at least WG hopes) cause the CV population to skyrocket. Staying with the fleet is hardly an option when anything with AA is much faster than you (except the Texas, which is mostly self-defense AA anyway, and it is a lower tier so may not want to go where you go). From a CV captains point of view, whats not to like about the WV41?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder, Beta Testers
1,546 posts
2,625 battles

After the blow back of the 41 Wee Vee it would be pretty funny if they tried to cram a prefit California/Tennessee on us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,509 posts
7,549 battles

Yeah they really dropped the ball on the Camo.  It could have been stunning like the Arizona but yet again we get more ultra overplayed and boring dazzle.  Bleh!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,399
[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,329 posts
10,406 battles
3 hours ago, Jef_Roberts said:

The new WeeVee 1941 is a beauty. All the power and beauty of the standard type US battleships. I'm delighted to add her to my fleet. BUT, what's with the boring generic dazzle camouflage? West Virginia was painted in Measure 1 in 1941, the USN standard paint for BBs.  If you are going to sell her as the 1941 version, she should LOOK like the 1941 version down to her Measure 1 paint job.

Not offering that is a missed opportunity, WoW.

Still, thrilled to see her added to the game. Maybe we can get the California (flagship of the battle fleet) to go along with her so we can assemble a Pearl Harbor battle line.

Jef

e24317625e50cae57f445b0b6c1691f5.image.500x313.jpg

They're probably going to use the puget sound refit for the 2nd line of USN BBs coming in the future. there's at least 3 other ships (Pen., California, Tennessee) that were upgraded in puget and along with the south dakota, that can make up a 2nd build Line with simular performance to the USS Massachusetts!:fish_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,115
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,339 posts
11,865 battles
2 hours ago, TheStarSlayer said:

After the blow back of the 41 Wee Vee it would be pretty funny if they tried to cram a prefit California/Tennessee on us.  

I think a post-refit Cali actually is easier to balance.  You can drop her into T7 without overshadowing the Colorado.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
7 posts
7,962 battles

They could actually make a California fairly quickly, and with minimal cost. The only difference between the Tennessee and Colorado classes was the main armament. The main armament on the Tennessee's was identical to that of the New Mexico's. They could make a pre-war version of Tennessee or California with a simple copy/paste.

The same principle applies to the post-refit Tennessee-class and 1944 West Virginia.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
7 posts
7,962 battles

(this is just so I get notifications)

Edited by Awaited
Accidental copy
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
455
[WOLF9]
Members
3,359 posts

  Hmmm- this is very tempting.   Not only am I a total USN BB fanboy, but I actually LIKED Colorado- a lot.

  The lack of AA has me rather concerned though- for all the reasons stated above.   Also, tier 6 stanks like a dead fish lately.

  The asking price isn't bad, either.   (or maybe I'm just suffering from ptsd from the sticker shock of some of the other recent offerings, lol.)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
98 posts
4,142 battles

I bought her and like her, although I haven't had time for more than a couple of battles in her. I agree she'd look better (and be more historically accurate) in Measure 1 camo. Maybe that will come later.

The price really isn't bad, either. If you factor out the cost of the gold and signals (which I would have bought eventually anyway) from the "Mountain Mama" bundle, you get the ship, 10-pt CO plus flag and patch for about $7 more than the "bare bones" version.

I've moved Rockwell Torrey - excuse me, I mean "Dusty Rodes", of course - over to the "Swayback Maru" (Pensacola). I have a 19-pt captain in my Arizona, and as she and West Virginia are so similar in performance I'll just swap him back and forth between the two BBs.

Edited by Fitzwalrus
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
520
[TF16B]
Modder
820 posts
7,287 battles
On 11/30/2018 at 3:35 PM, Jef_Roberts said:

The new WeeVee 1941 is a beauty. All the power and beauty of the standard type US battleships. I'm delighted to add her to my fleet. BUT, what's with the boring generic dazzle camouflage? West Virginia was painted in Measure 1 in 1941, the USN standard paint for BBs.  If you are going to sell her as the 1941 version, she should LOOK like the 1941 version down to her Measure 1 paint job.

Not offering that is a missed opportunity, WoW.

Still, thrilled to see her added to the game. Maybe we can get the California (flagship of the battle fleet) to go along with her so we can assemble a Pearl Harbor battle line.

Jef

e24317625e50cae57f445b0b6c1691f5.image.500x313.jpg

x4madd.jpgu

I’ll be releasing this custom camo, which also includes the correct un-stained teak deck, in the next few days. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
315 posts
9,870 battles

man this thing bleeds hit points...

King of Overpens...

already hate it...

 

Edited by bigalow87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57
[BRO1]
Beta Testers
352 posts
6,493 battles
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, Awaited said:

They could actually make a California fairly quickly, and with minimal cost. The only difference between the Tennessee and Colorado classes was the main armament. The main armament on the Tennessee's was identical to that of the New Mexico's. They could make a pre-war version of Tennessee or California with a simple copy/paste.

The same principle applies to the post-refit Tennessee-class and 1944 West Virginia.

Uh, Yea, NO. They widened the hulls of those ships during the refits. They didn't just add guns to them. I see what you are saying and you are partially right but they would have to model new hulls, and supper structures for them. they do have all the guns modeled though as you pointed out for existing ships in the game though. On the images below note the original hull width on Tennessee and West Virginia. Also I would love to play these ships in their last refits. I think that WOWS dropped the ball there also.

USS_Tennessee_BB43.jpg

USS_West_Virginia_1944.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
29 posts
4,408 battles
On 12/2/2018 at 5:49 PM, USNA_76 said:

x4madd.jpgu

I’ll be releasing this custom camo, which also includes the correct un-stained teak deck, for the next few days. 

That will be something I want to get. Where will you be posting this custom camo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
520
[TF16B]
Modder
820 posts
7,287 battles
18 minutes ago, Jef_Roberts said:

That will be something I want to get. Where will you be posting this custom camo?

You will be able to get it and many, many other historically correct camo schemes I have created,  there  

I’ll probably release it tomorrow.

Here is the final version. I adjusted the color to better match the Measure 1  paint scheme.

2ev9mr4.jpg

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
29 posts
4,408 battles

Thank you! I look forward to looking through your camo schemes!

10 minutes ago, USNA_76 said:

You will be able to get it and many, many other historically correct camo schemes I have created,  there  

I’ll probably release it tomorrow.

Here is the final version. I adjusted the color to better match the Measure 1  paint scheme.

2ev9mr4.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
520
[TF16B]
Modder
820 posts
7,287 battles

She’s finished and ready for download. 

When it comes to performance, I really like the ship, and I’m not alone. As No Zoup says in his most recent video review, she’s basically a stock Colorado at T6 with slightly lower sigma. In a 3 man division she rocks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×