You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Spotlight - Twilight Battles!

24 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,340 posts
7,591 battles

Ahoy Fleet!

Patch 0.7.11 introduced the new game mode "Twilight Battles"!

Players up to Level 12 or higher in your Service Record can join in the fight featuring the unique ship models themed with spooky skins.

If you've participated in Twilight Battles, please provide your feedback here and what you think of this battle mode including the features:

• The Twilight Fleet
  • Combat missions
  • Gameplay
  • Unique consumables
  • Other content/features

For more information about Twilight Battles, check out our main portal article!

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/twilight-battle/

#anchorsaweigh

[SALVO]
Members
21,032 posts
21,114 battles

Feedback?  I hate the idea of a  shrinking map.  I think that it plays to the small portion of the player base that wants to brawl and wants to force everyone else to brawl right along with them.  It also sounds like it's playing to the Russian server's play style meta, which, rumor has it, prefers close range combat, whether it's in WoT or WoWS.  

I personally do NOT like brawling.  I will do it on occasion and as needed, but prefer to avoid it.  To me, that's not proper naval combat.  To me, proper naval combat occurs at somewhat higher ranges than can you see the whites of the enemy's eyes.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,475 battles

halloween is over. I stopped playing cartoon ships nov 1

• Cool 2

[NGAGE]
Members
3,397 posts
8,397 battles

I'm 12/12 now, the dispersion buff is super OP.

The Twilight Fleet

I thought this was kind of a cool event overall. The camos are pretty neat and well done.

Combat missions

50 wins to get Rasputin? lol.

Just... lol. I would be curious to know how many people actually get this many missions done.

Gameplay

My biggest frustration was nearly every game my team tries to clump up. 

Which is a huge waste for battleships with their "dev strike" consumables. 

Unique consumables

The dispersion mod is hilariously good. While there aren't dev strikes in the mode, I've gotten... a lot of deletions. Not to mention you take an NC, with good dispersion, and drop it in an environment where your max firing range is 15km.

Other content/features

It would be nice to have some achievements. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts

There was literally not a thing I liked about Twilight Battles. 

• The slowest, least maneuverable ships given artificially short ranges to go with their low ROF.   
  • Shrinking map using the "deadly fog" Filth mechanics...
  • Gimmicky special mechanics.
  • Etc.

I'd rather be able to dismiss the ships for the port slots, and dismiss the missions entirely from my missions list.

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

The NC's infernal accuracy is lawls.
"Oh, would you like your ship or turret deleted? here, have these!"

Ghoul's Immortal engine boost is hilarious.
"I've expended all my torps... All, but one!"

shot-18_11.26_18_07.59-0595.jpg.83c77563be2abeca59de8d6e99d9a913.jpg

Octopus is kinda meh.
The skin is cool, but the ship and its abilities are more like CC/Support, so it's not very exciting, although they are important in a team environment.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
3,081 posts
21,599 battles
6 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

low ROF.

3 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

its abilities

OMG...it's the Mogami...the 15 barrel 10 second reload (down to as low as 8 seconds w/AR at last 10% HP)...that's 90(-112.5) RPM...HE spamming fire breathing monster...w/an insane fire chance boost...with 15 km radar & insta no range limit every teammate 10k HP (20k if team is down a ship or more) heal...LOLs...just so many LOLs...

Most of the other abilities are more interesting though...radar & heal are not exactly unique to the game...& I do miss the torp spotting hydro sometimes...

7 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Octopus is kinda meh.

but still...I think we have different definitions of the word "meh"...

11 hours ago, enderland07 said:

My biggest frustration was nearly every game my team tries to clump up. 

That's so they can get the benefits of shared healing from the BBs...unfortunately need to be 5km or less away for that...

11 hours ago, enderland07 said:

It would be nice to have some achievements. 

I'd have Arsonist & Whitherer every battle if they used the regular achievements but it would be cool if they came up w/some unique ones for the mode.

[SALVO]
Alpha Tester
325 posts

My issue is that you have to play a massive number of games to 'finish' aka get the rasputin.   But, in the end, for all those games, you get zero commander or ship xp.     Convertible xp is fairly useless, at least for me.   I have infinitely more than I can afford to convert already.

So, okay, lets assume the mode is fun.  In that case, great.  But, you are basically abandoning any actual improvement on your account.  Unless I missed a detail. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
4 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

OMG...it's the Mogami...the 15 barrel 10 second reload (down to as low as 8 seconds w/AR at last 10% HP)...that's 90(-112.5) RPM...HE spamming fire breathing monster...w/an insane fire chance boost...with 15 km radar & insta no range limit every teammate 10k HP (20k if team is down a ship or more) heal...LOLs...just so many LOLs...

Most of the other abilities are more interesting though...radar & heal are not exactly unique to the game...& I do miss the torp spotting hydro sometimes...

I was referring to the garbage scows that pass for the BBs in that mode.

[NGAGE]
Members
3,397 posts
8,397 battles
11 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

That's so they can get the benefits of shared healing from the BBs...unfortunately need to be 5km or less away for that...

Flanking fire + the dispersion consumable is unbelievably OP in this mode. Healing doesn't matter if you go from 100% to 0% hp.

[DOG]
Members
635 posts
7,761 battles
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Crucis said:

Feedback?  I hate the idea of a  shrinking map.  I think that it plays to the small portion of the player base that wants to brawl and wants to force everyone else to brawl right along with them.  It also sounds like it's playing to the Russian server's play style meta, which, rumor has it, prefers close range combat, whether it's in WoT or WoWS.  

I personally do NOT like brawling.  I will do it on occasion and as needed, but prefer to avoid it.  To me, that's not proper naval combat.  To me, proper naval combat occurs at somewhat higher ranges than can you see the whites of the enemy's eyes.

I've played quite a few games in this mode this year, since I don't have any 19 point captains yet, and thought this would be a good way to rack up elite commander XP on the cheap.  The shrinking map usually doesn't come into play, because most games are wrapped up before it starts becoming a major influence.  I played a game two nights ago driving an Octopus where I ended up being the last survivor on my team against a Ghoul.  I knew roughly where he was, and what he was going to do, and when I burned my last radar, it confirmed it.  But there was nothing I could do except charge at him and hope my guns got him before his torpedoes got me, since I was constrained by the decreasing circle.  And if you stray outside the circle, it will kill you quickly.  I lost that one.  And another a couple of nights earlier where I got too close to the edge in a Leviathan, and couldn't stop or turn around in time.  I ended up in the filth, and it took me out before I could get back inside the circle.  But those are the only two games I can recall where it really made a difference.  And I've played enough games to rack up 260k elite commanders XP. 

Members
2,177 posts
6,001 battles

Just couldn't get mentally into the mood of playing Rasputin's forces fighting against each other.  I don't mind these little fantasy one offs for things like this and have had lots of fun with the other incarnations of this theme, but there just wasn't enough here to appeal to me.  

[OGU]
Members
1 post
6,832 battles
On 12/1/2018 at 6:36 AM, arrrgh said:

My issue is that you have to play a massive number of games to 'finish' aka get the rasputin.   But, in the end, for all those games, you get zero commander or ship xp.     Convertible xp is fairly useless, at least for me.   I have infinitely more than I can afford to convert already.

So, okay, lets assume the mode is fun.  In that case, great.  But, you are basically abandoning any actual improvement on your account.  Unless I missed a detail. 

On a related note, what happens to the Twilight ships' xp if no Orlan in your port? I think this question was posed elsewhere but I can't find any answer.

[W-A-R]
Members
3 posts
2,718 battles

Where did the time go?

Pro:  It's fun, and a good turn from the normal grind.  
Pro: Good mix off new skills adding to the fun of playing them. (hope I never see them in normal play)

Note: I did get all the ships.  and had fun doing so. However just feels like I wasted my time.

Con:  A lot of time spent to just have it all taken away on the next update and the XP buried on a Tir one ship for buy back.

The real question I have to ask myself.  Was it really worth it?

[SALVO]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
2 hours ago, SaltyOldSalt said:

On a related note, what happens to the Twilight ships' xp if no Orlan in your port? I think this question was posed elsewhere but I can't find any answer.

Almost certainly the xp will go to the orlan, but just in your tech tree..  Same as if you have 200 xp on a ship and sell the ship.  The xp stays on the ship, as you can see in the tech tree. 

[ADOPT]
Members
331 posts
4,181 battles

I wasn't enthused at first, but end up loving it.

Playing as BB is hilarious, I was able to land shots at ~11km with the dispersion consumable on DDs and pretty much delete them if they are not already at full hp.  Also deleting mogami with one salvo never gets tiring.

Also like the idea of people having to get closer to fight, keeps the battle length shorter.  Positioning is still important (mainly to get flank fire).

I've been doing so well, even coming back to win a 3 vs 1 scenario that I've been reported for cheating lol.

One big area of feedback is a lot of the consumables are team play orientated and can be stacked for great effect.  But no one knows this, and aside of ppl divving up, no random team will coordinate to stack consumables.

Edited by mixmkz
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

shot-18.12.04_14.28.24-0735.jpg

I don't know how XP is calculated, but it seems like healing your teammates and giving them more consumables results in insane XP.

[DOG]
Members
635 posts
7,761 battles

Had great fun in Varg yesterday.  Used the invulnerability consumable to wade through the torpedo soup and ram a Leviathan, then a Rasputin.  Deleted both and survived (not for long, though, since I was the center of attention for enemy fire by that point).  I was a bit afraid the Rasputin would figure out what I was doing and use his consumable that shuts off my consumables, but he didn't.  Ended up doing something like 258k damage, and over half of it was from ramming.  Yeah, this game mode is silly, but it's a fun change of pace.

[DOG]
Members
635 posts
7,761 battles
9 minutes ago, RolandTGunner said:

I'm really enjoying the Twilight Battles!

And especially all the elite commander XP!

:Smile_great:  Just got my first 19 point commander this way.  My Z-52 captain was almost to 18 points, and this saved me grinding most of that last 300,000 points.  If it lasts long enough, I'll get my Fletcher captain up there too.  I've been playing this game for 20 months or so, but I've been spreading my ship and captain grinds over too many lines.  So I've got a bunch at 12-15 points.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles

Disclosure - I only have the basic three ships plus Razorworm so far.

Conclusion - I like this mode as a change of pace.  The trick is learning inventive ways to use your consumables - I've been triggering my Ghoul's stealth heal to make my concealment stupidly good and charging in with that, only activating the invincibility boost to keep me alive when I actually get spotted. The invincibility boost is also good when you need to take torps for a battleship, especially when he's got his heal up and can mend most of your damage. Octopus players need to learn to stay back whenever they can so they can used their radar and 10/20K HP boosts for the team (especially the destroyers) and each other as long as possible. The ability to mine the hell out of elite captain XP is brilliant.

Complaints - The Gimped gun range on what used to be a Benson is no fun at all when the Octo can radar you long before you spot him and you cannot shoot back. Not being able to smoke up in a ship whose normal equivalent has smoke all the time is also a downside, though I know captains of certain other DDs will be more than familiar with doing without it.

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

how to earn a crap ton of XP: heal a Rasputin that is tanking for the team

shot-18.12.10_18.49.34-0100.jpg

[RST]
Members
395 posts
8,434 battles

I've liked it ok, as pointed out I've also been mining elite captain XP with it (pile on the flags!).  Big issue I think ultimately is understanding the consumables you have and making full use of them for the team.  I have seen several Steel Rat players forget they can charge up other's consumables, run away from the fleet to play as lone wolf and then can't help heal either.  Similar for other consumables, have to understand what you can do and your role--like regular mode.  But you do have to think differently.

I like the change of pace.  And it is good that it counts for campaigns / missions. 

Members
6 posts
376 battles

Twilight Battle "I LIKE IT"

the Twilight Battle mode, I LOVE IT. Why?

1. I love the shrinking map idea, like it or not, you just have to be active or die!
  2. The ships are easy enough that you can get to know them in a short time.
  3. The ships well you learn soon enough what "weakspots" are.
  4. You have to play the ship, to his role (support or brawl)
  5. In the end all of them learn what it means to play in a team.
  6. finally I found something to use my flags and signal (hello elite commander experience)
  7. I love all the extra elite commander experience (this especially is what make it worth my time)
  8. Short active battles shells torpedoes radar everything everywhere, better then energy drink
  9. To see what good teamplay can do
  10. did I mention elite cammander experience already?

what would make it even better?

1. beside elite commader experience, all free experience ( not complaing here).
  2. that it will end.
  3. that all my special flags and signal are gone, elite commander experience

overall just fun and active play I thank you all involved and only wish to see it again soon.

Thank you! :cap_popcorn: DutchDelights

benice640.jpg.3210f248023fb04ec6b91cb9d4a4c201.jpg