Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IOWADragon

Internet providers?

44 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

47
[FUSA]
Members
238 posts
8,171 battles

I suppose some kind of a poll might be better here. But am wondering which service seems the best over all for games such as Warships and Tanks.

For now I've shut off home internet and due to a guest account where I live I can watch You Tube, then I come to the local library to use their computers. 

I was paying for high speed internet from Comcast/Xfinity until August, and was using a good ASUS gaming pc I was buying from AArons since May.

Due to some unknown reason I was losing connection multiple times a day during August, often while in battle. So I cancelled my service and put that money to buying me some new glasses, and am in the process of buying dentures. Hopefully early next yr I'll be back online again.

So, all I don't know for sure is who I'll use for service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
968
[KRAK]
Members
2,773 posts
17,439 battles
2 minutes ago, IOWADragon said:

I suppose some kind of a poll might be better here. But am wondering which service seems the best over all for games such as Warships and Tanks.

For now I've shut off home internet and due to a guest account where I live I can watch You Tube, then I come to the local library to use their computers. 

I was paying for high speed internet from Comcast/Xfinity until August, and was using a good ASUS gaming pc I was buying from AArons since May.

Due to some unknown reason I was losing connection multiple times a day during August, often while in battle. So I cancelled my service and put that money to buying me some new glasses, and am in the process of buying dentures. Hopefully early next yr I'll be back online again.

So, all I don't know for sure is who I'll use for service.

I use xfinity with never a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,372
[_-_]
Members
2,143 posts

Xfinity rocked when I had it at the old place.

I have SuddenLink here, and except for crappy firmware on their router (takes like...2 weeks to boot up) it works very well.

When you were on Xfinity, were you connecting to the router on a wired ethernet port or wireless? Wireless sucks compared to RJ45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,645
[WOLFG]
Members
5,624 posts
3,431 battles
35 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Xfinity rocked when I had it at the old place.

I have SuddenLink here, and except for crappy firmware on their router (takes like...2 weeks to boot up) it works very well.

When you were on Xfinity, were you connecting to the router on a wired ethernet port or wireless? Wireless sucks compared to RJ45.

I'm using ATT (or whatever it is called now).  Fiber up to the house.

I've use wireless and RJ45 and didn't find much difference (except for update days).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
503
[INTEL]
Members
1,864 posts
11,331 battles

Providers are a brand.  Each provider may deliver to any given residence a specific technology and each of those will have different capabilities.

For example: AT&T has 3 different technologies (U-Verse, Fiber, Satellite) available in my area of which two of them are available to my residence.

The other provider in my area (Spectrum) only supplies cable technology.

 

The other complicating factor would be what your TV package is delivered on.  Depending on the internet service offered you may need to change your TV package.  If you are locked into a contract, that may be an expensive change.

 

A good resource to compare for your area - https://broadbandnow.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
457
[A_51]
Members
890 posts
19,854 battles

Comcast Infinity using a wired ethernet port.  Never had a problem with frame rates and very rarely lose a connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,818
[PVE]
Members
15,221 posts
10,100 battles
1 hour ago, IOWADragon said:

I suppose some kind of a poll might be better here. But am wondering which service seems the best over all for games such as Warships and Tanks.

For now I've shut off home internet and due to a guest account where I live I can watch You Tube, then I come to the local library to use their computers. 

I was paying for high speed internet from Comcast/Xfinity until August, and was using a good ASUS gaming pc I was buying from AArons since May.

Due to some unknown reason I was losing connection multiple times a day during August, often while in battle. So I cancelled my service and put that money to buying me some new glasses, and am in the process of buying dentures. Hopefully early next yr I'll be back online again.

So, all I don't know for sure is who I'll use for service.

 

21 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Providers are a brand.  Each provider may deliver to any given residence a specific technology and each of those will have different capabilities.

For example: AT&T has 3 different technologies (U-Verse, Fiber, Satellite) available in my area of which two of them are available to my residence.

The other provider in my area (Spectrum) only supplies cable technology.

 

The other complicating factor would be what your TV package is delivered on.  Depending on the internet service offered you may need to change your TV package.  If you are locked into a contract, that may be an expensive change.

 

A good resource to compare for your area - https://broadbandnow.com

 

ClassicLib has a point. It really depends. Some areas only have one provider and you are stuck with them. Some areas have multiple providers. Also, depending on the provider, they may have varied services. 

 

In my area, the FTTP service (Fiber To The Premise) service is handled by Frontier FiOS. They are the only service in our area that provides fiber to your home over a large portion of the service area. The further you are from Tampa, the more likely, you will only have DSL over the phone lines from Frontier instead of fiber. If you are getting Fiber service, you can get TV, but if you are DSL, you get partnered with DISH Network for TV. Spectrum provides cable services to a large portion of the area and a few neighborhoods have FTTP from Spectrum. There are a few other small providers, but they are leasing the lines from Frontier or Spectrum, so you might as well go with the big guys. There is satellite internet, if you have a southern view, but that gets REAL expensive with data usage, so I would NOT recommend it for gaming purposes. 

 

If you don't want to deal with broadbandnow.com (they lie about the Frontier svc I have available at my address because I KNOW it is faster than they say), you can check Move-a-Roo. They help people who move to new areas get in touch with all the utility companies at their new location. They can tell you who are the internet service providers in your area. 

https://www.movearoo.com/ or call 1-855-738-7807

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,493
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,049 posts

This game really doesn't take much in the way of a fast connection. I am on a local 5 Mbps ADSL line and never have any problems with FPS or ping. Lost connections, however, are another matter. Ultra-fast service isn't much value of you continually lose connection to it.

When I was teaching out on the West Coast the apartments put in Verizon fiber.  I never could afford it so I stuck with the apartment's Wifi service but those that went on it raved about the service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
503
[INTEL]
Members
1,864 posts
11,331 battles
27 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

If you are getting Fiber service, you can get TV, but if you are DSL, you get partnered with DISH Network for TV. Spectrum provides cable services to a large portion of the area and a few neighborhoods have FTTP from Spectrum. There are a few other small providers, but they are leasing the lines from Frontier or Spectrum, so you might as well go with the big guys. There is satellite internet, if you have a southern view, but that gets REAL expensive with data usage, so I would NOT recommend it for gaming purposes. 

AT&T doesn't want you to know that you can just purchase internet service and then pick and choose the streaming services you want.  You can sign up for DirecTV NOW, Sling, et al for network TV.  If you are an Amazon Prime member you can stream a lot of content free and sign up for discounted pay streaming services.   Or you can pick and choose just the individual streaming services you want.  The best thing about this route is that all of the streaming services are on a month-to-month payment basis.

Edited by ClassicLib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,818
[PVE]
Members
15,221 posts
10,100 battles
6 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

AT&T doesn't want you to know that you can just purchase internet service and then pick and choose the streaming services you want.  You can sign up for DirecTV NOW, Sling, et al for network TV.  If you are an Amazon Prime member you can stream a lot of content free and sign up for discounted pay streaming services.   Or you can pick and choose just the individual streaming services you want.  The best thing about this route is that all of the streaming services are on a month-to-month payment basis.

We just have 100/100 FiOS internet and stream for what little bit of TV we watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
503
[INTEL]
Members
1,864 posts
11,331 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

We just have 100/100 FiOS internet and stream for what little bit of TV we watch. 

AT&T pushes DirectTV hard and if you go into one of their stores they don't even mention the Internet-only service.  Similar thing online.  It's there but you have to dig for it.  When I do a search for the internet services available at my address it doesn't give me any options.  It says I have to call their Support (sales) number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,704
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,287 posts
3,895 battles

250mbps cable internet through Comcast.

 

The 250 is guaranteed via hardline and I often get higher. Unlike other providers who frame their internet speeds as "up to ###", Comcast frames it as "### or higher"

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,192
[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1 hour ago, ClassicLib said:

Providers are a brand.  Each provider may deliver to any given residence a specific technology and each of those will have different capabilities.

Also, Provider X may be great in one place, and suck in another.  Depends on infrastructure and management.  

ATT works great where I am, but, part of that is being lucky in that the DSL endpoint is less than 100 meters from my house.  50-60 ping, day in and day out.

I've heard from people in various other places that ATT is horrible there, but <service that sucks here> is great there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,192
[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
12 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

AT&T pushes DirectTV hard and if you go into one of their stores they don't even mention the Internet-only service.  Similar thing online.  It's there but you have to dig for it.  When I do a search for the internet services available at my address it doesn't give me any options.  It says I have to call their Support (sales) number.

I used to have Uverse, and worked great, but I got rid of the cable and the landline from it, so I'm just on an ATT internet plan, and it works great here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
862
[WOLF2]
Members
3,409 posts
15,023 battles
8 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

In my area, the FTTP service (Fiber To The Premise) service is handled by Frontier FiOS. They are the only service in our area that provides fiber to your home over a large portion of the service area. The further you are from Tampa, the more likely, you will only have DSL over the phone lines from Frontier instead of fiber. If you are getting Fiber service, you can get TV, but if you are DSL, you get partnered with DISH Network for TV. Spectrum provides cable services to a large portion of the area and a few neighborhoods have FTTP from Spectrum. There are a few other small providers, but they are leasing the lines from Frontier or Spectrum, so you might as well go with the big guys. There is satellite internet, if you have a southern view, but that gets REAL expensive with data usage, so I would NOT recommend it for gaming purposes. 

 

If you don't want to deal with broadbandnow.com (they lie about the Frontier svc I have available at my address because I KNOW it is faster than they say), you can check Move-a-Roo. They help people who move to new areas get in touch with all the utility companies at their new location. They can tell you who are the internet service providers in your area. 

https://www.movearoo.com/ or call 1-855-738-7807

I wouldn't recommend satellite to even my worst enemy - not only is it expensive, but it doesn't work MOST of the time!

Avoid HUGHESNET at all costs … possibly the worst of the worst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,493
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,049 posts
18 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

I wouldn't recommend satellite to even my worst enemy - not only is it expensive, but it doesn't work MOST of the time!

Avoid HUGHESNET at all costs … possibly the worst of the worst

Satellite connections can be just as fast as wired Internet but they suffer from very long latency times (i.e., pings). Satellite-based Internet service works just fine for browsing and cached streaming (e.g., Netflix) but suffers in real-time gaming where all players must be constantly sync'd up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,115
[WORX]
Members
4,536 posts
15,416 battles

The politics of ISP starts from the top the FCC. Now the FCC is really not doing anything productive to improve internet speeds/connection.

With the Presidents new FCC chairmen atm, we cant get regulations that will grant/force ISP companies some consumer protection ( Like regulating ISP like any other Telephone service as a utility). So dont hold your breath on any improvements on anything related to Connection quality or speeds. Its not going to happen anytime soon. 

That is the national politics Now here is the local and state politics.

Depending on where you are located, The move to Fiber is handled by one company the dreaded Comcast. Comcast is the one who owns all the fiber connections that enter into people homes in America.  From there Comcast leases out these Fiber connections out to other ISP companies for a fee. So if you're paying for internet that is not Comcast,  rest assured Comcast is getting their share of  the fees you pay. 

IF you have multiple ISP servicing a town THIS^^^ can be a nightmare. I heard horror stories of  ISP IT Techs who go to the junction boxes to find it all messed up. Granted Comcast leases out the Fiber connections, Maintenance of those connections vary from one company to the next. 

Until things/conditions change ^^^ This is the norm for now. It really does matter to find a ISP that is on top of the Maintenance of your service. Though keep in mind, the owner of the Fiber is Comcast.

 

Edited by Navalpride33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,818
[PVE]
Members
15,221 posts
10,100 battles
19 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The politics of ISP starts from the top the FCC. Now the FCC is really not doing anything productive to improve internet speeds/connection.

With the Presidents new FCC chairmen atm, we cant get regulations that will grant/force ISP companies some consumer protection ( Like regulating ISP like any other Telephone service as a utility). So dont hold your breath on any improvements on anything related to Connection quality or speeds. Its not going to happen anytime soon. 

That is the national politics Now here is the local and state politics.

Depending on where you are located, The move to Fiber is handled by one company the dreaded Comcast. Comcast is the one who owns all the fiber connections that enter into people homes in America.  From there Comcast leases out these Fiber connections out to other ISP companies for a fee. So if you're paying for internet that is not Comcast,  rest assured Comcast is getting their share of  the fees you pay. 

IF you have multiple ISP servicing a town THIS^^^ can be a nightmare. I heard horror stories of  ISP IT Techs who go to the junction boxes to find it all messed up. Granted Comcast leases out the Fiber connections, Maintenance of those connections vary from one company to the next. 

Until things/conditions change ^^^ This is the norm for now. It really does matter to find a ISP that is on top of the Maintenance of your service. Though keep in mind, the owner of the Fiber is Comcast.

 

Verizon is laying a LOT of fiber in their areas to the homes (I would bury it) and Frontier has bought some of it (IL, WA, OR, CA, TX, FL). Spectrum here in Tampa, has fiber to the neighborhood and coax from there to the home, except for a few brand new neighborhoods. AT&T U-verse is fiber to the home.  The main fiber lines between cities, which are used for internet and phone, are owned by different telecoms. I used to forward work tickets to various telecoms when a main trunk went down or had problems. So Comcast doesn't own all fiber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
862
[WOLF2]
Members
3,409 posts
15,023 battles
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Satellite connections can be just as fast as wired Internet but they suffer from very long latency times (i.e., pings). Satellite-based Internet service works just fine for browsing and cached streaming (e.g., Netflix) but suffers in real-time gaming where all players must be constantly sync'd up. 

300-900 ping is normal during off-peak times … 

Spikes of 2,000-5,000+ and even much much higher during peak hours = freezes and disconnects

Not Good :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,887
Members
23,178 posts
5,841 battles
19 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

There are a few other small providers, but they are leasing the lines from Frontier or Spectrum, so you might as well go with the big guys. 

You definitely want to check out the little guys though.

I use a small provider, who leases the lines from Bell, (who has a monopoly on phone lines) and I get great service. (35m/s, and enough bandwidth that I can game and have 2 TVs streaming Netflix w/no issues) I get phone, cell, and unlimited internet for about $20 more than just cellphones from Bell. I also avoid the throttling issues from Bell trying to get people to switch from DSL to fibreoptic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,818
[PVE]
Members
15,221 posts
10,100 battles
14 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You definitely want to check out the little guys though.

I use a small provider, who leases the lines from Bell, (who has a monopoly on phone lines) and I get great service. (35m/s, and enough bandwidth that I can game and have 2 TVs streaming Netflix w/no issues) I get phone, cell, and unlimited internet for about $20 more than just cellphones from Bell. I also avoid the throttling issues from Bell trying to get people to switch from DSL to fibreoptic.

They still have to make money. So they lease from the big guy, but still have to charge so that you pay less than the big guys. So I would make a close comparison between the plans to make sure that the small one is not losing something in comparison.

 

As for throttling, keep an eye on Bell's fiber specials. If their copper lines are anything like Verizon's, they are way more expensive to maintain. So I would be surprised if they didn't run specials to get people to switch to fiber. Fiber tends to be way more reliable as a passive optical network is way less susceptible to water intrusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47
[FUSA]
Members
238 posts
8,171 battles
On 11/30/2018 at 12:54 PM, So_lt_Goes said:

Xfinity rocked when I had it at the old place.

I have SuddenLink here, and except for crappy firmware on their router (takes like...2 weeks to boot up) it works very well.

When you were on Xfinity, were you connecting to the router on a wired ethernet port or wireless? Wireless sucks compared to RJ45.

I was using wired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,442 battles

I've got cable from our local provider. They are the only game in town, DSL is a joke, so that's what I'm stuck with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47
[FUSA]
Members
238 posts
8,171 battles

Due to my fixed income all I had was high speed internet, which was running close to $80 a month, no cable tv, but had some form of internet tv. And I had wired. Had a tech come by and he did an in person system check the month  prior to that incident.

 My rig did have wireless which for the most part I had disconnected due to I live in a hundred unit complex and almost everyone has wify and I thought it better to not take anymore chances than needed. Also one of my neighbors told me he was quite the hacker in his youth, and I have no reason to not believe him. But since he also says he got caught I imagine his activity is monitored.  

There was some acknowledgement of problems which was credited to my bill. So I do like Comcast/Xfinity over all and while their outlet/store isn't close I can get there easy enough or pay by phone. I know there's ATT service, but I am leaning toward Xfinity. But in all likelihood will  go with just the basic package for a while.

Edited by IOWADragon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×