You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #114 - West Virginia 1941

160 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,187 posts
7,842 battles
4 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Your images aren't displaying.

They should be working now.  For whatever reason, the forums chokes on the first iteration of any review I make.  I have to give it a few tries to make it swallow the 20+ images found throughout.

• Funny 3

[CDOGS]
Members
12 posts
5,213 battles

Thanks for such a thorough review! 

I think I will pass on this version of the West Virginia with all the new changes in the CVs and the many dds ready to sink such slow "refrigerators".  If the Commander had special skills I might have been tempted to get the package, but nothing there to see.

[CUTER]
Members
731 posts
19,720 battles

I think I will be investing.  The idea of an island fortress sounds appealing...even if the armor scheme is a bit wanting.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,566 posts
13,172 battles

Wpdrgv7.gif

As someone with a soft spot for uncomplicated sledgehammer battleship play from time to time, I can't help but compare WV'41 to Musashi. They both follow a similar role and give up almost everything for those big guns.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
190 posts
2,750 battles

Wait... they want to improve the Repair Party function only on tech tree US BB's? So... the goal is to make the ones that cost real money inferior and less worth buying? Yeah... that makes sense?!

Thanks for the very detailed review!

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles

Interesting ship. @LittleWhiteMouse, I'm surprised your review didn't include more detailed references to Mutsu, since she's the other 16-incher at this tier. The vague impression I have is that while Mutsu has overmatch, the shells do not do as well against thick belt armour and that WV41 is the heavy-penetrating bruiser if you can live with the deficiencies.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,815 posts
4,814 battles

A lazy, recycled, former A hull that nobody asked for is not very good? Gee what a surprise.

Now go join Mutsu and Ashitaka in the naughty corner Weevee.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 3

[SIM]
Members
2,652 posts
4,416 battles

Wow, you must have gone to plaid in order to get this one out so quickly. Thanks Mouse!

[SKI]
Members
161 posts

Thanks Mouse.....'preciate the work as always...

was initially somewhat mildly interested, but  I kept asking myself, "Why did they bother" ????

oh !   yeah !    gotta sell some _ _ _ _  to pay the bills !   

getting very tired of useless garbage.....

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,187 posts
7,842 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Interesting ship. @LittleWhiteMouse, I'm surprised your review didn't include more detailed references to Mutsu, since she's the other 16-incher at this tier.

7 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Now go join Mutsu and Ashitaka in the naughty corner Weevee.

6 minutes ago, Fernando_Maluco said:

Mutsu looks like better for me.

Mutsu gets a bad wrap she doesn't deserve.  Her guns have comparable penetration to the Queen Elizabeth-class battleships, with slightly more penetration at short range and slightly less at long range.  Yet Warspite doesn't get a bad wrap for her AP penetration as much as Mutsu does.  Now, we all know why this is the case -- Mutsu is compared to Nagato's upgraded shells.  While this is meme worthy it doesn't carry over into gun performance at tier VI where Mutsu does very well for herself.  The stigma that she's a downtiered, stock Nagato blinds people to what's a pretty darned fun ship at tier VI, though she suffers from the typical tier VI battleship problems of being a ready victim against tier VIIIs.

Also, don't overlook Ashitaka.  She is in the running for the best premium of 2018, IMO.  Yes, I know she was released in 2017, but she got buffed in 2018 and that's made her amazing.

• Cool 3

[TF_34]
Members
1,141 posts
7,078 battles

Love big ol BBs, but the last thing this game needed was another 20kt wonder. Gameplay is much too fast for standard BBs now, even at lower tiers. 

Members
1,087 posts

Mouse is right about being a beast in Co-op. The guns are very good.

From the games I've played, LWM is spot on, and WYSIWYG. Nothing fancy, just your basic big fat slow gunboat.

I actually bought the basic package for appearance sake (I love cage masts!) and plugged in a spare 14-point commander. FP comes in real handy against flame-throwing bots.

Think I'll go lay waste to some more toasters.

• Cool 2

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
172 posts
3,056 battles

In Co-op, she's nasty. In Random, some times you're the windshield, etc.

All in all, she's decent. But Ye gods at the horn with the special camo. I don't know if I should cringe or chuckle uneasily.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles
10 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Also, don't overlook Ashitaka.

I gave her serious consideration when she was 50% off earlier this year. However, the proposed buff to her guns was not a sufficiently sure thing in my understanding at the time, and I elected to pass on her in case "preliminary" became "never" and I was stuck with a lemon. 

In the end I bought Scharnhorst instead, and given how useful Scharn's been for many tasks anything involving Secondaries in the Cossack campaign, I think I made the right choice.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
298 posts
2,456 battles

Nice review as always.  Not going to touch the history aspect of it, since that seems to still be a raw nerve among alot of folks.  Beautiful ship, though. 

Gameplay-wise, I only went for the base package.  Not sure I could stomach the camo+horn.  /shudder

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
19,566 posts
13,172 battles
22 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Also, don't overlook Ashitaka.  She is in the running for the best premium of 2018, IMO.  Yes, I know she was released in 2017, but she got buffed in 2018 and that's made her amazing.

^

Many a battle in Ashitaka during the Turkey event made me love her. Last time I played her she still had the Type 88 shells, but the upgrade to Type 91 ones just made her a softer Nagato with two additional barrels.

• Cool 2