Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

Solution To The Steel Issue?

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
549 posts

Since the upcoming steel missions appear to be wildly unpopular among some of you, might the solution to the steel problem be found in World of Tanks?

The skill based currency in Tanks is Bonds. Where bond/steel availability differs is you can get Bonds via regular play in random battles. You can get them via performance in tier 10 battles or by getting achievements. So, it keeps the currency skill based but lets those folks attain it who don't want to play competitive modes.

So, why not be able to get steel for things like Krakens, Confederates, etc and maybe certain base XP thresholds while playing in tier 10 ships? Tanks has a sliding scale. The better you do in a tier 10 tank in an all tier 10 battle, the more bonds you get. 

Why not be able to get 50 steel or some common sense number for achievements and then maybe 50 steel and up if you have at least 2000 base xp in a T10 ship? Just throwing the idea out there. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
167
[RIPCV]
Members
287 posts
896 battles

Only legit steel reward in random is through heroic achievements. The amount that you should get should be low 

Says 10 or 20 steels at most 

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
123 posts
5,773 battles

I definitely like this. Perhaps skill based farming of steel at high tier matches is the solution to the steel problem.
Participating in time sensitive competitive modes with clans is just not for everyone. But that doesn't mean that skillful players out there should be alienated from getting these rewards.

In my perfect world, clan battles and ranked should be the quickest and most cost-effective way to get steel. However Steel could be given out for topping the scoreboard in a tier 8 or above random match.
Example
1st place gets 100 steel
2nd gets 50 
3rd gets 25
4th gets 10
5th gets 5
(If you want to be even more foolproof cut the losing team's payouts the same amount that every other award is reduced for the losing team.)

For every heroic achievement in tier 8 or above random you get 50 steel.

For every ribbon earned that isn't a shell hit in tier 8 or above randoms. You get 1 steel


What this does is allow steel to be "Farmed" so to speak, but not at the level like FXP can currently be farmed by just any bloke who can click a mouse. Since this goes off of base XP people can't spam economic multipliers like they can with FXP. 
Topping the scoreboard in tier 8 and above is something that rarely happens for unskilled players. Enough so that I could comfortably say that the skill gating is enough to maintain the exclusive status of steel reward ships.

For example this is the first game I ever played in my stock chapayev last night. unknown.png

I placed second on the team there. No achievements, and was awarded 22 ribbons, if you don't count shell hits and secondary hits. That match would have earned me 72 steel. I think that's perfectly reasonable.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
468
[UFFA]
Members
1,654 posts
72 battles

Give WG long enough and bonds will appear here. Get sigma to 2.65 for any ship. Want Yamato to get that historical ~600m turn circle pick up the bond for British Cruiser turn capability.

Kill me now. :cap_fainting:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,471
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,279 posts
9,895 battles

So, I'll start off by saying I have clearly missed something because the only steel missions I recall are on the test server, where they do what they want and are simply there to test, and have a good chance of not making it to live server.

If it was confirmed for the live server, I'd then point out that way back when, Wargaming said they would likely throw occasional missions out for the stuff. And to that end what it's currently associated with is Christmas related stuff, and at best the entire series likely awards enough for Flint (unless Black is cheaper) and that on live server, it will require specific ships or the highest tier ones for whatever mission unlocks it. 

Also and I know I'm going to get thumbs downs from anyone that doesn't read past it - but it's not really a skill based currency but a game mode currency. You don't get steel because your some 1337 ship god with 70% winrate and out right best stats or 35% because you have a decent team around you. You get it from playing ranked battles. And while I may be a 50-51% player (when not on stupid long losing streaks) I know players way better than me in the 60% bracket who don't touch ranked battles not because of a lack of skill but like me don't want to deal with the toxic bull that goes on every season. And even if CB is an option for it - not all clans do that and again, not all players want to, even if they have the skill level. So, if the argument is "you only want skilled players getting these ships" then your cutting out skilled players cause they don't play certain game modes which kinda goes against the idea of it being a ship rewarded for skill. If you wanna make it that it's EASIER to obtain these ships in Ranked/CB - by all means, they want to add a camo with those other new currency's that is Ranked/CB exclusive and maybe adds other bonuses or the like that says "I earned this via ranked/CB" basically. That or tag a (R) at the end of current Flints and all to denote they were earned via Ranked or whatever. I really don't understand this "no lock it away" crap in the first place beyond an initial period of exclusivity. I have two of the three ships you can't slow farm by doing however high you need to get in ranked to get your first bit of steel or rank out a few times or buy, and of the three the two that will never have an opening for others to obtain again - Arkansas Beta and Iwaki Alpha. And if Wargaming announced tomorrow that they were selling them, long as the sold ones drop the Alpha/Beta from the name or/and they maybe gave me a camo that further distinguished mine as a Alpha tester and maybe a couple extra bonuses like to free XP or commander xp - I'm happy. 

 

As to the idea of steel for Krakens, Confederates, etc - I'm down for that. Lowest steel ship is what, 7500 steel? 50 may be a tad too high (would only require 150 medals of the type which is a bit iffy, especially if they retroactively award steel) however, 10 steel as suggested above I feel is way to high (750 medals) I say split the difference at 25-30, making it 250-300 medals. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
123 posts
5,773 battles

@WanderingGhost I would prefer they didn't retroactively award steel should a system like the one I suggested be implemented. The coal for oil thing awhile back made sense. But with a currency as valuable as steel I don't think it deserves such a thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,148
[SBS]
Members
4,464 posts
2,408 battles

I believe the "issue" with steel was its very limited availability.  This new suggestion is just recreating the same problem WG is looking to solve with the steel missions.  Locking content away from the vast majority of the players usually isn't well received.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like added at some point as WG seems to be throwing a ton of crap at the to see what sticks.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
167
[RIPCV]
Members
287 posts
896 battles
9 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I believe the "issue" with steel was its very limited availability.  This new suggestion is just recreating the same problem WG is looking to solve with the steel missions.  Locking content away from the vast majority of the players usually isn't well received.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like added at some point as WG seems to be throwing a ton of crap at the to see what sticks.  

It is not limited availability, it is people choose not to participate in the mode they required bare people who fell victim in shadow of timezone. Steel is designed to reward a good play and good cooperate gameplay. Why should it dumb down to just about anyone since most people still get access to 98% of the contents.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,471
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,279 posts
9,895 battles
37 minutes ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

@WanderingGhost I would prefer they didn't retroactively award steel should a system like the one I suggested be implemented. The coal for oil thing awhile back made sense. But with a currency as valuable as steel I don't think it deserves such a thing. 

I don't think it should either actually, however, Wargaming of late seems to go with the worse possible option, so accomidated for them possibly going for the worst possible option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
430
[BS]
Members
1,594 posts
8,298 battles
2 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Since the upcoming steel missions appear to be wildly unpopular among some of you, might the solution to the steel problem be found in World of Tanks?

The skill based currency in Tanks is Bonds. Where bond/steel availability differs is you can get Bonds via regular play in random battles. You can get them via performance in tier 10 battles or by getting achievements. So, it keeps the currency skill based but lets those folks attain it who don't want to play competitive modes.

So, why not be able to get steel for things like Krakens, Confederates, etc and maybe certain base XP thresholds while playing in tier 10 ships? Tanks has a sliding scale. The better you do in a tier 10 tank in an all tier 10 battle, the more bonds you get. 

Why not be able to get 50 steel or some common sense number for achievements and then maybe 50 steel and up if you have at least 2000 base xp in a T10 ship? Just throwing the idea out there. 

 

This is actually a good idea. I made a thread (no one responded to) about lowering the cost of the tier 10 steel ships by 10-15%,  and then scaling back the amount of steel you can get for the campaign/snowflake event. This would prevent short term inflation. That coupled with your thing about steel for heroic achievements would be perfect. Is WGing going to do that? Hell no, short term profit is the motive. Even though they'd make a little more in the long run by not pissing off all their competitive whales.

 

 

EJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,586
[SIM]
Members
3,783 posts
6,276 battles

There’s no Steel “issue.” None of you were ever promised that Steel would be some exclusive commodity for the small cross-section of players that enjoy the game’s competitive modes. Instead of being happy that you were able to access premium ships without having to open your wallets, you’re trying to play gate keeper on content that ultimately belongs to WG. WG will allow access to that content in whatever fashion that makes the most business sense for them, and to whoever they please.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32
[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
287 posts
9,602 battles

I like the idea of giving some steel in very small amounts on random battles if it incentivizes people to learn the game and play better, if it is correctly scaled against the competitive game modes - say, being at least 10x slower to accumulate steel from random battles compared to just getting it from ranking out

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
234
[ICOP]
Members
1,068 posts
3,917 battles

They should have keep only coal as the extra resource and left the current steel resourced ships as the rewards for obtaining Rank 1 and multiple Rank 1's as it was originally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
383
[KSC]
Members
1,047 posts
4,576 battles
3 hours ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

-snip

With your numbers, the average decent player can grind out Stalingrad in sub 250 games.  That's way too fast for a ship that was introduced as being "exclusive".

Hell, that's more than likely faster than you could complete the campaign that's supposed giving thousands of steel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
123 posts
5,773 battles

@XpliCT_Then the numbers can be changed. The point still stands that there needs to be skill based payouts of steel in random battles to accommodate players who do not wish to participate in CB or Ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96
[CCTV2]
[CCTV2]
Beta Testers
276 posts
5,797 battles

meh, you are free to try my 7-skill bond-filled improved-equipment Conqueror GC, it is fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
383
[KSC]
Members
1,047 posts
4,576 battles
8 minutes ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

@XpliCT_Then the numbers can be changed. The point still stands that there needs to be skill based payouts of steel in random battles to accommodate players who do not wish to participate in CB or Ranked.

I honestly fail to see why the ship needs to be accessible to people who actively choose not to play the game mode the ship was designed to be a reward for.  People didn't complain when the Flint or Black were behind Ranked, why are people upset about the Stalingrad?  

Hell, it's easier to obtain the Stalingrad currently, than it was to obtain the Black originally.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,229
[OO7]
Members
5,075 posts
11,854 battles
2 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I believe the "issue" with steel was its very limited availability.  This new suggestion is just recreating the same problem WG is looking to solve with the steel missions.  Locking content away from the vast majority of the players usually isn't well received.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like added at some point as WG seems to be throwing a ton of crap at the to see what sticks.  

Steel made ships more accessible to players, not less accessible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
123 posts
5,773 battles
3 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Also and I know I'm going to get thumbs downs from anyone that doesn't read past it - but it's not really a skill based currency but a game mode currency. You don't get steel because your some 1337 ship god with 70% winrate and out right best stats or 35% because you have a decent team around you. You get it from playing ranked battles. And while I may be a 50-51% player (when not on stupid long losing streaks) I know players way better than me in the 60% bracket who don't touch ranked battles not because of a lack of skill but like me don't want to deal with the toxic bull that goes on every season. And even if CB is an option for it - not all clans do that and again, not all players want to, even if they have the skill level. So, if the argument is "you only want skilled players getting these ships" then your cutting out skilled players cause they don't play certain game modes which kinda goes against the idea of it being a ship rewarded for skill. If you wanna make it that it's EASIER to obtain these ships in Ranked/CB - by all means, they want to add a camo with those other new currency's that is Ranked/CB exclusive and maybe adds other bonuses or the like that says "I earned this via ranked/CB" basically. That or tag a (R) at the end of current Flints and all to denote they were earned via Ranked or whatever. I really don't understand this "no lock it away" crap in the first place beyond an initial period of exclusivity. I have two of the three ships you can't slow farm by doing however high you need to get in ranked to get your first bit of steel or rank out a few times or buy, and of the three the two that will never have an opening for others to obtain again - Arkansas Beta and Iwaki Alpha. And if Wargaming announced tomorrow that they were selling them, long as the sold ones drop the Alpha/Beta from the name or/and they maybe gave me a camo that further distinguished mine as a Alpha tester and maybe a couple extra bonuses like to free XP or commander xp - I'm happy. 

@XpliCT_ As someone already mentioned before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
793
[WAG]
Members
1,725 posts
9,875 battles

...I wish they wouldn't dangle steel as a reward and then yank it away unfairly... but I've already fought that battle and lost.  ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
383
[KSC]
Members
1,047 posts
4,576 battles
2 minutes ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

@XpliCT_ As someone already mentioned before.

That doesn't answer my question.  I didn't want the Flint or the Black, so I didn't play Ranked.  I wanted the Stalingrad, so I decided to play a full season of ranked to rank out.  If you want the ship, you'll play the modes that give you the currency.  

If anything, Steel made my decision to play ranked pretty easy.  It made the ship far more accessible to me.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
123 posts
5,773 battles
Just now, XpliCT_ said:

That doesn't answer my question.  I didn't want the Flint or the Black, so I didn't play Ranked.  I wanted the Stalingrad, so I decided to play a full season of ranked to rank out.  If you want the ship, you'll play the modes that give you the currency.  

If anything, Steel made my decision to play ranked pretty easy.  It made the ship far more accessible to me.   

Then we simply have a fundamental disagreement of what these ships are. You see Steel ships as a game mode reward. I see them( and many others wish for them) to be a reward for skilled players.
Agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96
[CCTV2]
[CCTV2]
Beta Testers
276 posts
5,797 battles
15 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

I honestly fail to see why the ship needs to be accessible to people who actively choose not to play the game mode the ship was designed to be a reward for.  People didn't complain when the Flint or Black were behind Ranked, why are people upset about the Stalingrad?  

Hell, it's easier to obtain the Stalingrad currently, than it was to obtain the Black originally.  

coz Russian Bias, and more and more ships going to be steel, Russian should have an CA/BC line, not a reward line

WG nerffed Alsace, and add a reward pre-nerf Alsace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
793
[WAG]
Members
1,725 posts
9,875 battles
2 minutes ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

I see them( and many others wish for them) to be a reward for skilled players.

?? Being carried to Rank One through persistence is not talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×