Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Thanos_Snap_

Question about the current development state of the game.

6 comments in this topic

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
80 posts
4,381 battles

My friend and I are having a disagreement about the classification of the game's current state. My view is that since the open beta has an official end date and that there is an official release date of Sept 2015 published, that the game is in its full release right now. That doesn't mean that it still won't go through massive changes throughout the course of its lifetime as most online games do.

But my friend points out that since the patch numbers have not yet reached 1.0 that the game is still not technically a full release. I personally disagree with that statement, but I am curious as to why the game has a published release date and confirmation/announcement of exiting beta stages while not having a version number of 1.0?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Preferably someone of a high up stature in the official WGverse. 

tl:dr Is this game considered to be in full release? Or is it still considered in a testing phase? And if it is in a full release state why don't the patch numbers read as 1.0?

[90THS]
Members
272 posts
888 battles

Tell him that if WG announce game to be released which is septempber 2015 then the game is already full release 

Using the same argument your buddy tried to argue, you can ask if world of tanks just went full release this year since it just got 1.0 patch and has 8 years of beta stage While it is not.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,637 posts
13,211 battles

Patch numbers are build numbers and are completely arbitrary. They have absolutely nothing to do with whether the game is live or not. The current patch could be called cardoor.refrigerator.trucktire and it'd mean just as much. The game is live and has been since September 2015. An argument could be made that the game was live when they started monetizing it, even before then.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
80 posts
4,381 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Patch numbers are build numbers and are completely arbitrary. They have absolutely nothing to do with whether the game is live or not. The current patch could be called cardoor.refrigerator.trucktire and it'd mean just as much. The game is live and has been since September 2015. An argument could be made that the game was live when they started monetizing it, even before then.

Thank you lert this has been extremely helpful.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,637 posts
13,211 battles
8 minutes ago, Thanos_Snap_ said:

Thank you lert this has been extremely helpful.

Wargaming uses the X.Y.Z numbering system where Z stands for minor updates, Y for reasonably big updates and X for serious updates. For example, a normal patch with some balance changes or even the introduction of a new tech tree would be a minor update, while something like the carrier rework would probably be considered a serious update and tick X over.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,145 posts
13,520 battles

The numbering system as stated above for WoWs, WoT, or WoWp means little as to whether the game is released as live or still testing since they are open to additional content being added over time. Test clients are made available ie  CT WoT 1.3, CV Rework Test WoWs and PT WoWs 7.12 for all users to sign up for and test what is in the works as well as the Super Tester program. If at some point WG decides to use version 1 it will make absolutely no difference. Your Don Quixote friend is tilting at windmills! @Thanos_Snap_ 

Sign in to follow this