You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Replay controls?

10 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,430 posts
8,611 battles

So... anybody know what the controls are in replays? going backwards and forwards in time, free camera, that kind of thing?

Brhino you idiot why don't you just google it?

Okay well first of all Other Brhino you're being very rude right now.  Second of all, I did google it.  I found lots of posts about it, and, depending on when they were written, they're all different.  It seems like the controls are never the same from version to version, so whatever somebody posted six months or a year ago won't be useful now.

Fine.  There's not that many keys on the keyboard.  Why don't you just try them all and tell us what they do?

Yeah I tried that too.  So far all I've found is that "." skips the video forward a minute or so.  Haven't found anything that goes backwards, or plays slow motion, or whatever.  Left clicking the mouse seems to toggle between what your view was when you played and free view, but even in the free view you're stuck to your own ship, not a true free camera that can go anywhere. "b" brings up the chat command wheel! Well that's useful.

[R-F]
Members
1,430 posts
8,611 battles

Thanks.  God, these controls make no sense whatsoever.  And You have to NOT hit "start battle", because of course.

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,400 posts
17,304 battles
17 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Thanks.  God, these controls make no sense whatsoever.  And You have to NOT hit "start battle", because of course.

The "don't hit start battle" glitch no longer exists.  After a few hundred replays, it becomes a little easier to use ;)

[WJDC]
Members
66 posts
1,843 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Zath said:

The "don't hit start battle" glitch no longer exists.  After a few hundred replays, it becomes a little easier to use ;)

Lordy, Lord. Could you get someone to make a wiki page on this? I just asked the same question a week ago and it seems like this will be an ongoing problem if no one steps up and makes a page. I mean, I enjoyed your video about that but, as you note, that's out of date as well.

Also, to be clear, there is no rewind, correct?

[WAG]
Members
1,725 posts
9,843 battles

OK... Why oh why has WG not made a set of instructions and pinned it to a forum???????????  Why??  Hello?  Beuller? Beuller???

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,400 posts
17,304 battles
On 11/30/2018 at 7:04 PM, shokNgnaw said:

Lordy, Lord. Could you get someone to make a wiki page on this? I just asked the same question a week ago and it seems like this will be an ongoing problem if no one steps up and makes a page. I mean, I enjoyed your video about that but, as you note, that's out of date as well.

Also, to be clear, there is no rewind, correct?

There is a rewind...  it's the < key, though it often breaks the replay.  

[WOLF3]
Members
20,915 posts
19,347 battles

The worst thing with the replays is that after an update or two, any and every replay you had can't be used.  It's out of date for the current version of the game.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,049 posts
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The worst thing with the replays is that after an update or two, any and every replay you had can't be used.  It's out of date for the current version of the game.

Some people save a copy of each client for replay viewing but unless you are a Contributor with old replays to put on YouTube it really isn't worth the hassle.

Members
32 posts
2,509 battles

I have been meaning to edit and post this for quite some time. I hope it helps a few people at some point. If there is a place I can stick this information that makes better sense, please let me know. I don't have a ton of experience with this forum.

FREE-LOOK / FREE CAM TUTORIAL (Cliff Notes version)

20180319180457_1.thumb.jpg.bbd4807bb0331c73dd0f72b0d935b329.jpg

BACKGROUND

Free-look mode in WOWS releases us from many of the game's typical viewports, allowing for much greater freedom when navigating 3D space.

In the current build, you can use Free-Look mode during:

• Games/Matches
  • Spectator mode
  • Playback of recorded battle replays.

Note: Don't be alarmed that Free-Look is available during live games. It can't show you anything (enemy ships, for example) that your own vessel can't already see. More importantly, every second you spend in Free-Look mode, you're vulnerable. 

ENABLING FREE-LOOK

1. (When spectating) click the mouse once, so that you are in the "free view" of your ship - the one where you can spin around the ship at-will.
2. CTRL-SHIFT + BACKSPACE will unlock the camera from your ship and put you in Free-Look mode.

• CTRL + G can be used to toggle the UI off and on, if desired
  • Use the arrow-keys to navigate around the world.
  • Numpad 7 will raise the camera height, Numpad 1 will lower it.

ZOOMING

Zooming with the mousewheel can give you really cool perspectives, but it also makes the camera much more sensitive to mouse movement. Zooming into objects can affect the rendering of special effects, too. If you zoom in super close on a burning ship, the smoke and most of the cool fire effects will probably disappear, for example.

SHIP TRACKING

If you want the camera to track your ship, enter Free-Look, cruise to the desired perspective (near sea level, looking up at the bow, for example), make sure at least some of your ship is centered in the screen, and press the B key. This is a really cool hidden feature. Once you're locked on to your ship, you are still free to move the camera, but the camera's relative position to your ship is fixed.

Note: Most ship commands still work while you are in Free-Look. It doesn't matter if you're 20km away, staring at an anthill on a beach -- you can still turn, adjust throttle, and fire the ships guns. A single click of the mouse and you could inadvertently blast a teammate. This is mostly a heads-up, not a scary cautionary tale. Go out and have fun. Plus your teammate probably deserved it.

Another Note: Using Free-Look during a live game can be exhilarating, but it does put you in a vulnerable position if you are careless. The longer you remain in free-look mode, the more detached you tend to become from the action. I have been citadeled by opening salvos simply because I was too busy poking around on deck as my ship raced into battle, doing something stupid like admiring all the fire extinguishers.

20180319025559_1.thumb.jpg.711e81f16821a81d1b176e15bb80cd18.jpg

REPLAYS

If you're in replay mode and want to speed up the pace, use:

• INSERT to make time go faster
  • DELETE to slow it down
  • HOME to resume playback at normal speed
  • END will pause playback.

Note: If you press DELETE enough to stop game-time completely, you will not be able to navigate. Nothing wrong with doing that, but you'll need to tap INSERT or HOME before you will be able to fly around the map again.

I don't mess with those < > or SHIFT + < and SHIFT + > commands I've seen referenced. My PC is about 67 years old, and those commands usually just crash me to desktop.

Note: A lot of these commands work as toggles -- B can either tether or unlatch from your ship, CTRL-SHIFT + BACKSPACE will pop you in and out of Free-Look mode, and CTRL+G switches UI visibility.

CAMERA PANNING AND CRAWLING

To achieve incredibly smooth camera pans in Free-Look mode, you need quick fingers and just a little patience.

Here comes the science: The in-game camera has a maximum speed and a fixed rate of acceleration. Pressing one of the arrow keys sends the camera accelerating in that direction until maximum velocity is reached (I think you can adjust those values in the game settings). This manual technique will give you more control than those settings alone.

PANNING BASICS

To try a nice smooth pan, enter Free-Look mode, then press the LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys in rapid succession. LEFT first, then RIGHT, an instant later. Keep both pressed.

The camera will start accelerating in the direction of your first keystroke. The second key, arriving a split-second later, will "catch" the camera before it has time to accelerate much. The faster you get both keys down, the slower the pan will be. Done correctly, this will send the camera on a nice, smooth glide for as long as you hold down those keys. You can use the same technique with the UP and DOWN keys, as well, for forward and back motion. I think that's what they call a crawl instead of a pan.

You can use all four arrow keys at once to open up all sorts of possibilities for ultra-smooth camera movement. You can also use the arrow keys as a modifier for Numpad 1 and Numpad 7 (raise height, lower height). Play around with it, get crazy.

FINE-TUNING CAMERA MOVEMENT SPEED

You'll realize in about 14 seconds that it's not a perfect science. Fortunately, we can feather the camera speed and fine-tune our pans and crawls. Let's say you have a nice left-pan going. You can bleed camera speed by (very) briefly releasing the LEFT key and then returning it immediately to the pressed position. The RIGHT key stays down the whole time. It takes a little finesse but if you're recording cinematic replays it's a worthwhile technique.

Adding speed to the camera's pan is accomplished using the same process, in reverse. The faster you can move those fat little fingers, the more fine-grained control you will have over speed adjustment. If you are slow, like me, you may end up trying to reverse the camera's direction of travel completely, instead of just slowing it down.

SHAMELESS PLUG

You can use these techniques to make goofy [edited]movies of your own, like this one (I think it's blocked outside NA, due to awesome music):

20180304205917_1.jpg

• Cool 1