Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jester_of_War

John Doe in Light Cruisers and/or Destroyers ???

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,842 battles

It's late and I'm too lazy to figure this out on my own. So thank you in advance to whomever is kind enough to answer my question.

(Plus you probably know more than I do anyway.)

Here goes: For the time being, I pretty much only play destroyers and light cruisers. I have John Doe because, hey, 10-point commander.

But considering my choice of ships, what is the best vessel for this Commander to helm?

Which USN Destroyer or Light Cruiser makes the best use of John Does's Enhanced Skills -- Expert Marksman and Expert Loader?

Thanks again.

Edited by Jester_of_War

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,842 battles

Thanks @luckyhoho. Problem is, the Des Moines isn't a CL, so it's going to be a long while before I unlock that ship.

Upon further research (I might be lazy but I'm also bored and I wanted an answer now!): Of the better USN CLs -- Helena, Cleveland and Worcester -- the Helena has the worst turret traverse and reload times.

None of the DDs will benefit from Expert Marksman and Expert  Loader.

Therefore Helena is probably the best candidate. That works for me.

So for now, I'm going to leave John Doe in Helena and set him up to do double duty in my Atlanta as well. I'll grind different commanders for Cleveland and Worcester.

For John Doe, in Helena/Atlanta, I'm going to run: PT, EM, DE, IFHE, CE, AFT & EL. Because John Doe.

That's not an optimal build for Helena and Atlanta but Expert Marksman is useful, and I'm sure I'll occasionally appreciate Expert Loader (besides, what else to do with last point?). If the bonus skills are there I might as well use them... this is a game after all so I can't really go wrong.

An anecdote that relates: I was in Helena tonight fighting a Kamikaze that snuck up on me and, while turning hard to avoid torps, my turrets couldn't track fast enough to get the shot off. Expert Marksman will be nice in Helena.

Edited by Jester_of_War

[WOLF2]
Members
1,592 posts
13,627 battles
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

It's late and I'm too lazy to figure this out on my own. So thank you in advance to whomever is kind enough to answer my question.

(Plus you probably know more than I do anyway.)

Here goes: For the time being, I pretty much only play destroyers and light cruisers. I have John Doe because, hey, 10-point commander.

But considering my choice of ships, what is the best vessel for this Commander to helm?

Which USN Destroyer or Light Cruiser makes the best use of John Does's Enhanced Skills -- Expert Marksman and Expert Loader?

Thanks again.

Overchkin goes on DDs - strong like BULL!

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles
2 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

Overchkin goes on DDs - strong like BULL!

The extra health helps CLs and DDs alike, too! Well, mostly premium CLs, but still. I plan to make Oven chicken my new Omaha/Marblehead/Super St.Louis Blue/Atlanta/Kidd/Monaghan/Sims etc. captain. Sharing John Doe between Salem, Mo, Atlanta and Kidd is an exercise in frustration, as the lack of specialization shows, 19 points or not.

Life will be so much easier when I have Halesy...

[WOLF2]
Members
1,592 posts
13,627 battles
5 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

The extra health helps CLs and DDs alike, too! Well, mostly premium CLs, but still. I plan to make Oven chicken my new Omaha/Marblehead/Super St.Louis Blue/Atlanta/Kidd/Monaghan/Sims etc. captain. Sharing John Doe between Salem, Mo, Atlanta and Kidd is an exercise in frustration, as the lack of specialization shows, 19 points or not.

Life will be so much easier when I have Halesy...

To each his own, I suppose if you have 2 different captain builds for cruisers it might make sense to have J. Doe and Overchkin both doing same, however … 

The OP said he plays destroyers and cruisers, so for him it makes more sense to put Overchkin on DDs since he already has BB and cruisers covered. In my humble opinion, the extra beef on a US DD would come in mighty handy percentage wise and gives you more bang for the buck (see what I did there:)

Keep in mind you can move one captain around to any premium … up, down, sideways, between tiers and classes, so the less redundancy the better 

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,842 battles
10 hours ago, luckyhoho said:

John Doe goes to Des Memes, only useful skill is expert marksman

Halsey goes to BBs

Question: John Doe and Halsey have the same bonus skills: Master Marksman and Rapid Loader. What makes them better suited for different ships? Is it just that a BB is more likely to get Confederates and Double Strikes?

[WOLF2]
Members
1,592 posts
13,627 battles
36 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Question: John Doe and Halsey have the same bonus skills: Master Marksman and Rapid Loader. What makes them better suited for different ships? Is it just that a BB is more likely to get Confederates and Double Strikes?

The talents and uberness of Halsey? 

15 pts makes him ideal for raising him to 19 pts on something really nasty 

Would you really put that baby face Doe on a t10 BB?

Edited by Commander_367

Sign in to follow this