Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
derzwerge

Why is it so hard to keep models original, like they were?

6 comments in this topic

[IRISH]
Members
21 posts

Yeah well i am a fan of ships, it is totally disgusting to see Konig, Kaiser, Bayern, GZ, etc with those ridiculous tall funnels and new bridge. Much like the upcoming Prinz Eitel. Or some Jap models were added rangefinders block the bridge view lol. I know this is a game and the fire fantasy and BBs spitting HE shells are curiously normal here, together with HE penetrating shells somehow doing less dmg than AP but...come on. There is a reason about all these changes?

• Boring 5
  • Bad 1

Alpha Tester
3,496 posts
3,874 battles
19 minutes ago, derzwerge said:

Yeah well i am a fan of ships, it is totally disgusting to see Konig, Kaiser, Bayern, GZ, etc with those ridiculous tall funnels and new bridge. Much like the upcoming Prinz Eitel. Or some Jap models were added rangefinders block the bridge view lol. I know this is a game and the fire fantasy and BBs spitting HE shells are curiously normal here, together with HE penetrating shells somehow doing less dmg than AP but...come on. There is a reason about all these changes?

Two, really. First they need AA refits for balance purposes. Can't have ships sailing into even tier V/VI with AA from WW1. Secondly, they need to not look totally incongruous next to USN, IJN, and RN battleships, all of which received extensive refits to their upperworks during the interwar period. 

[SYN]
Members
7,286 posts
7,771 battles

After almost 6500 rounds, honestly, you should know the answer, however, I'll answer anyway, CB's went well, I'm feeling bubbly inside. AA and between the wars refits for game balance, based on how things could, I stress could, have worked out/looked had the ships been around to receive the refits, and further based on the builds/experience of the navies the ships represent.

Say what you will about WG/Lesta, and I do, lol, their designs are very, very well done.

• Cool 1

[90THS]
Members
249 posts
888 battles

Simple, to make it competitive with ship in respective class. Some ship never survive pass ww1 yet it has been put on tier that come from interwar period. So what do? Make some adjustment like fictional refit or add on based on what happen in subsequent period.

[SALVO]
Members
17,651 posts
18,478 battles
2 hours ago, derzwerge said:

Yeah well i am a fan of ships, it is totally disgusting to see Konig, Kaiser, Bayern, GZ, etc with those ridiculous tall funnels and new bridge. Much like the upcoming Prinz Eitel. Or some IJN models were added rangefinders block the bridge view lol. I know this is a game and the fire fantasy and BBs spitting HE shells are curiously normal here, together with HE penetrating shells somehow doing less dmg than AP but...come on. There is a reason about all these changes?

It's really very simple.  It's one thing for a tier 4, 5, or even 6 stock BB to be in its WW1 original configuration.  It's quite another to expect it to be effective against WW2 era ships in a WW1 configuration, or to expect that the Germans (in this case) had still possessed those WW1 era BBs to have not given them significant refits in the 20's and 30's.

Now, perhaps one might argue about the aesthetics of the tall funnels, which I suppose is a debatable point.  But not raising the main tower would absolutely have happened due to the need to increase the elevation of the main range finders, same as every other nation that refitted WW1 era BBs.

Sign in to follow this