You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
XxX_BlindSide_XxX

Spotting: Its a thing...reward it.

133 comments in this topic

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
347 posts
8,621 battles

People cry, SPOT DD. SPOT!  Question is apart from the obvious that good spotting wins matches there is literally zero incentive other than that for a DD to spot.  Any ship spotting is giving his team the advantage directly contributing to wins.  So please.  Tell me why WG gives ZERO xp for it.  In World of Tanks a light tank not need fire a shot to be a game winner and they are rewarded for it.  Here, like my last match in my Shimakaze, however, its a completely different story.

That match: 240,000 spotting damage, 2 kills (both radars) and 59K total damage and I STILL sit nearly at the bottom of my team.  I was able to get behind the red team and keep them lit while our team was able to shoot unspotted the entire match.  The match ends in a roflstomp and the muggins that risked the most to make that happen got the least when it came to rewards.

This is a TEAM game but sometimes its easy to see why selfish play has become so common.  WG give spotting, defending and capping the love it deserves!

• Cool 39

[SIDE]
Members
2,513 posts

You’re on to something. It’s been mentioned hundreds of times in the radar whine dumpster thread. Lots of good ideas on rewarding dd’s now that they can’t run rampant anymore. Ways to reward non damage spotting and area denial is among them. Dig thru it if you stomach all the other nonsense. Otherwise, try the search function for “spotting rewards” or whatever, see what you like and don’t like and post it back here in this thread. I like where you are heading with it!

Edit: I’d thumbs up you but I already gave them all out today.

next day edit: gave you thumbs up!

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
347 posts
8,621 battles

I was on top of their team literally, usually within 7km (minimum distance for spotting planes in the  Shima) so if anyone was spotting them but me they were invisible.

[RNDM]
Members
292 posts
5,156 battles
1 minute ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Spotting is rewarded.

With a nifty ribbon and a hail of shells flying over your head killing whatever it is you spotted...

but I don't want a ribbon...

I want exp and credits (and a fancy ribbon not that dull looking gray one)

• Cool 2

[CUTER]
Members
3,862 posts
19,157 battles

Spotting is rewarded via XP,  just not as much as you want it to be. Saying it's "ZERO" is plain ignorance.

Edited by Preteen
  • Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,827 posts
11,574 battles

It does seem to be reasonably rewarded in randoms, it is in ranked were the DD's are screwed over on spotting.

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
347 posts
8,621 battles
21 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It does seem to be reasonably rewarded in randoms, it is in ranked were the DD's are screwed over on spotting.

So what is reasonable?  lets take my game into account.  240k spotting damage, 2 kills, 60k of my own damage a cap and several defense. how much XP you think that would be worth on the win?

[WOLF3]
Members
20,915 posts
19,347 battles

It's rewarded.  But if you're trying to be one of those guys that think you should be rewarded solely for spotting while doing nothing else, well, keep dreaming.

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
347 posts
8,621 battles

1500....thats what it was worth. A whopping 1500 yay spotting....another match in a BB zero spotting and died early with exactly the same damage as my shima, NO defense and NO caps and got 1300xp. That 240k spotting and cap and defense netted me a whopping 200 extra XP.  In my world...thats zero.

for the math challenged (like me) thats a whopping 1xp for every 1000 spotting damage.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,915 posts
19,347 battles
2 minutes ago, XxX_BlindSide_XxX said:

1500....thats what it was worth. A whopping 1500 yay spotting....another match in a BB zero spotting and died early with exactly the same damage as my shima, NO defense and NO caps and got 1300xp. That 240k spotting and cap and defense netted me a whopping 200 extra XP.  In my world...thats zero.

How do you know that BB did no defense, no capping, no cap resetting, and the damage he did?  You got proof or just making stories to support your narrative?

• Cool 1

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
347 posts
8,621 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's rewarded.  But if you're trying to be one of those guys that think you should be rewarded solely for spotting while doing nothing else, well, keep dreaming.

Apparently you missed the part where I got 2 kills, captured a cap and did 60k of my own damage on top.  Reading comprehension ftw.

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
347 posts
8,621 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

How do you know that BB did no defense, no capping, no cap resetting, and the damage he did?  You got proof or just making stories to support your narrative?

because I was in it...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
20,915 posts
19,347 battles
7 minutes ago, XxX_BlindSide_XxX said:

because I was in it...

You can't tell the things another player has accomplished unless they've told you himself or seen his reward screens.

The only thing you can see in the Team Scores page are BaseXPs and Achievements like Dev Strike, First Blood, etc. 

That's it.  Nothing else.

You cannot tell their damage, their capping, their cap resets, i.e. all their ribbons and accomplishments in the match.  You cannot even tell who they've damaged during the course of the match.  Anything outside BaseXPs and Achievements, people are talking out their a** to make a narrative.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
347 posts
8,621 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You can't tell the things another player has accomplished unless they've told you himself or seen his reward screens.

The only thing you can see in the Team Scores page are BaseXPs and Achievements like Dev Strike, First Blood, etc. 

You cannot tell their damage, their capping, their cap resets, i.e. all their ribbons and accomplishments in the match.  You cannot even tell who they've damaged during the course of the match.  Anything outside BaseXPs and Achievements, people are talking out their a** to make a narrative.

..... read first, troll second.  Reading comprehension is ALSO a thing.  I WAS the BB hence the "in another match in a BB" part.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,827 posts
11,574 battles
31 minutes ago, XxX_BlindSide_XxX said:

So what is reasonable?  lets take my game into account.  240k spotting damage, 2 kills, 60k of my own damage a cap and several defense. how much XP you think that would be worth on the win?

I was talking over all in randoms. On WoWS Stats there are 6 DD's in the top twenty, with premiums pulled out, based on experience so from that they are not doing bad. Buffing spotting damage could easily make them over powered by experience earning ability so any buffing would have to be on a ship by ship basis for those that are under performing.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,915 posts
19,347 battles
5 minutes ago, XxX_BlindSide_XxX said:

..... read first, troll second.  Reading comprehension is ALSO a thing.  I WAS the BB hence the "in another match in a BB" part.

Cool, then post up the Detailed Reports of them.  Let's pick it apart and let's see what you were REALLY doing.

Edit:  Team Scores to go with it.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KTFO]
Beta Testers
347 posts
8,621 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Cool, then post up the Detailed Reports of them.  Let's pick it apart and let's see what you were REALLY doing.

Sounds like a plan (seriously) but will have to wait until after clanwars.

[TMS]
Members
2,493 posts
25,694 battles
1 hour ago, XxX_BlindSide_XxX said:

People cry, SPOT DD. SPOT!  Question is apart from the obvious that good spotting wins matches there is literally zero incentive other than that for a DD to spot.  Any ship spotting is giving his team the advantage directly contributing to wins.  So please.  Tell me why WG gives ZERO xp for it.  In World of Tanks a light tank not need fire a shot to be a game winner and they are rewarded for it.  Here, like my last match in my Shimakaze, however, its a completely different story.

That match: 240,000 spotting damage, 2 kills (both radars) and 59K total damage and I STILL sit nearly at the bottom of my team.  I was able to get behind the red team and keep them lit while our team was able to shoot unspotted the entire match.  The match ends in a roflstomp and the muggins that risked the most to make that happen got the least when it came to rewards.

This is a TEAM game but sometimes its easy to see why selfish play has become so common.  WG give spotting, defending and capping the love it deserves!

Don't worry about it.

Just start playing for yourself when you are in a DD because everything you earn in a DD is because of your own effort, no one else gives you a damn thing for the risks you take.

You are taking the risks you may as well get as much out of it as possible, oh  some of your team lost some vision while you farm so be it.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 1

Members
688 posts
5,656 battles

Whoops I accidentally dropped my mockup medal for a spotting related achievement.

I hope someone at WG doesnt accidentally see this and get inspired to make it a real thing. :cap_horn:

unknown-106.png

• Cool 6

[WOLF3]
Members
20,915 posts
19,347 battles
1 minute ago, XxX_BlindSide_XxX said:

Sounds like a plan (seriously) but will have to wait until after clanwars.

I edited to add Team Scores page to go with it.  You can see correlation of what people were doing in the Detailed Report and see the actual BaseXPs, etc.

As I recall, WG doesn't want people to be highly rewarded for a non-combat action too much, i.e. pure spotting.  You have to do more.  Should spotting be rewarded?  Sure.  But some people want it to prop everything up.  One guy a day or two ago he expected higher rewards but did very poor damage.  He also did no capping, no resetting, etc.  It was hard to be sympathetic.

[RNDM]
Members
292 posts
5,156 battles
38 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I was talking over all in randoms. On WoWS Stats there are 6 DD's in the top twenty, with premiums pulled out, based on experience so from that they are not doing bad. Buffing spotting damage could easily make them over powered by experience earning ability so any buffing would have to be on a ship by ship basis for those that are under performing.

You could also say that Jutland and Daring (two newest t9 and 10 DDs) are the highest DDs at 8 and 9 on that same stat sheet. Face it, spotting is worthless. Damage is the thing that matters and ship classes that rely on spotting will always have a harder time earning exp than the damage dealers. DDs work just fine, they just aren't rewarded properly. I would propose that spotting damage be rewarded as a part of a ships total damage. So if I have say 20,000 spotting damage, 60% of that could be added to my total damage for the match. You can't shoot what you can't see (well I mean you actually can but its harder than shooting a spotted target) so spotters should be rewarded for at least a part of the damage dealt.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,827 posts
11,574 battles
41 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

You could also say that Jutland and Daring (two newest t9 and 10 DDs) are the highest DDs at 8 and 9 on that same stat sheet. Face it, spotting is worthless. Damage is the thing that matters and ship classes that rely on spotting will always have a harder time earning exp than the damage dealers. DDs work just fine, they just aren't rewarded properly. I would propose that spotting damage be rewarded as a part of a ships total damage. So if I have say 20,000 spotting damage, 60% of that could be added to my total damage for the match. You can't shoot what you can't see (well I mean you actually can but its harder than shooting a spotted target) so spotters should be rewarded for at least a part of the damage dealt.

Maple syrup has DD's in last place for experience by only by a small amount for randoms. If you want more than an extremely tiny experience buff for spotting you are going to have to give it up somewhere else. Now if you are talking ranked I will agree that DD's need to be better rewarded. Over in WoT spotting damage is better rewarded but most scouts even those with powerful guns cannot afford becoming spotted so stay silent where the DD's that spot the best have torpedoes that allow them to cause damage and not become spotted, you gain real damage for spotting damage.

[KRAK]
Members
2,773 posts
17,439 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

cannot you read even a little bit? The OP played both the ships he was talking about.