Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SavageTactical

Barbettes = citadel?

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

374
[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Guys I’ve wonder for a long time if barbettes are considered part of the citaded. I swear I’ve hit people under the turrets well above the waterline several times and got credit for a one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,840
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,368 posts
14,639 battles

They are not considered part of the citadel. However, I have heard that the shape of the barbette sometimes causes shells to deflect downward into the roof of the citadel after penetrating the barbette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
870
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,370 posts
14,850 battles

Correct me if I am wrong, but are not the ammo bunkers under them considered citadel hits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,957
[HINON]
Supertester
20,921 posts
14,539 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but are not the ammo bunkers under them considered citadel hits?

No. Magazines, citadels and barbettes are distinct and separate things.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
533
[KSD]
Members
933 posts
5,734 battles

Depends on the angle you are shooting. If you overmatch the bow armor then the bullet will pierce through and reach the citadel, unless you hit the armor of the enemy gun itself, in which  case you will get a zero damage pen.

Edited by lungiwear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,045
[WOLF9]
Members
9,373 posts
4,243 battles
39 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I have heard that the shape of the barbette sometimes causes shells to deflect downward into the roof of the citadel after penetrating the barbette.

??  BB barbettes are armored all the way down to the keel.  A shell that penetrates the barbette isn't going anywhere else.  Otoh, a shell that ricochets off one may well be deflected into the citadel (or magazine).

 

 

 

 

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,042 posts
4,528 battles
58 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

They are not considered part of the citadel. However, I have heard that the shape of the barbette sometimes causes shells to deflect downward into the roof of the citadel after penetrating the barbette.

I have both had this done to me, and done it to another ship.  Both instances were a Montana shooting at the bow of another Montana, and in both instances the shells hit below the turrets and bounced down into the citadel.  I may have actually saved a recording of me doing it to another Montana, but I would have to dig around to see if I can find it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,840
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,368 posts
14,639 battles
36 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

??  BB barbettes are armored all the way down to the keel.  A shell that penetrates the barbette isn't going anywhere else.  Otoh, a shell that ricochets off one may well be deflected into the citadel (or magazine).

In WoWS, many barbettes are modeled as simple cylinders that sit on top of the citadel box. I can't speak to whether there are invisible layer(s) of armor involved, but if not, the roof of the citadel IS the bottom of the cylinder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,741
[OO7]
Members
4,744 posts
11,476 battles
11 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

In WoWS, many barbettes are modeled as simple cylinders that sit on top of the citadel box. I can't speak to whether there are invisible layer(s) of armor involved, but if not, the roof of the citadel IS the bottom of the cylinder.

And that's the way it shows in the armor viewer. If you just show the barbettes, they stop at the citadel deck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,347
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,109 posts
9,674 battles

Last I checked no, it's just that most, if not all ships with a citadel happen to have some of the weaker armour of it in around that area. I just remember having learned to aim there since alpha cause best case scenario - potential detonation/citadel, worst case scenario potentially knockout a turret. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
738
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,146 posts
4,590 battles
29 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

In WoWS, many barbettes are modeled as simple cylinders that sit on top of the citadel box. I can't speak to whether there are invisible layer(s) of armor involved, but if not, the roof of the citadel IS the bottom of the cylinder.

hmmm well. generally speaking there is no armor inside citadels, however there are some cases. Vanguard has multiple layers of armor inside the citadel. As to why they were modeled is beyond me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,045
[WOLF9]
Members
9,373 posts
4,243 battles
37 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

In WoWS, many barbettes are modeled as simple cylinders that sit on top of the citadel box. I can't speak to whether there are invisible layer(s) of armor involved, but if not, the roof of the citadel IS the bottom of the cylinder.

You may well be right.  I looked at a couple of examples and they do seem to stop at the citadel roof.  Okay, I see where you're coming from on this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
870
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,370 posts
14,850 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

No. Magazines, citadels and barbettes are distinct and separate things.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
401
[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
818 posts
4,083 battles
3 hours ago, Edgecase said:

They are not considered part of the citadel. However, I have heard that the shape of the barbette sometimes causes shells to deflect downward into the roof of the citadel after penetrating the barbette.

Yup can happen...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×