You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Threat Assessment Thursday - Deep Water Torpedoes

26 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,340 posts
7,588 battles

image.png

*pictured - HMAS Australia launching torpedoes in the English Channel in 1943*

How big of a threat are deepwater torpedoes to you and your Fleet?

Various ships in the game are capable of launching stealthy deepwater torpedoes which are devastating to cruisers, battleships, and aircraft carriers.

Destroyers, while immune to them, should be aware of their presence as they signify the presence of an enemy vessel nearby and can provide early warning for their team.

When deepwater torpedoes are spotted, are they a threat to you and your fleet and what do you do to deal with them?

"Never fear your enemy but always respect them." - John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#threatassessmentthursday

#anchorsaweigh

[SIM]
Members
3,767 posts
6,254 battles

My Asashio with Torpedo Acceleration has been the cause of many brown pants moments and expedited trips back to the port screen. In general I don’t tend to get sunk by DWTs that often in my other ships, but I think that’s just because I focus heavily on keeping track of where PA DDs and Asashios are operating during battle. 

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
11 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Various ships in the game are capable of launching stealthy deepwater torpedoes which are devastating to cruisers, battleships, and aircraft carriers.

Destroyers, while immune to them, should be aware of their presence as they signify the presence of an enemy vessel nearby and can provide early warning for their team.

When deepwater torpedoes are spotted, are they a threat to you and your fleet and what do you do to deal with them?

Honestly, the thing I see most often with DWTs is other players trying to fire them at enemy DDs... :Smile_facepalm:

They're slightly less of a threat than regular torpedoes, because they can't be used as anti-DD weapons.

Dealing with them is pretty much like any other torpedo, if you're in a ship that's vulnerable -- avoid obvious "get torped here" locations and situations, don't straight line for too long, hope to hell you see them in time to evade, kill ships that have them whenever you get the chance.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

[WGA]
1,340 posts
7,588 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Honestly, the thing I see most often with DWTs is other players trying to fire them at enemy DDs... :Smile_facepalm:

They're slightly less of a threat than regular torpedoes, because they can't be used as anti-DD weapons.

Dealing with them is pretty much like any other torpedo, if you're in a ship that's vulnerable -- avoid obvious "get torped here" locations and situations, don't straight line for too long, hope to hell you see them in time to evade, kill ships that have them whenever you get the chance.

The tricky part about DWTs is if you're in a cruiser or BB that doesn't have a DD screen/picket or are running hydro, the is little to almost no time to react when they are spotted.

This can be lethal for a battleship or cruiser when sailing away from teammates and the ability for the destroyer or vessel launching the attack has likely moved to another spot on the map and setting up another torpedo attack.

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
10 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

The tricky part about DWTs is if you're in a cruiser or BB that doesn't have a DD screen/picket or are running hydro, the is little to almost no time to react when they are spotted.

This can be lethal for a battleship or cruiser when sailing away from teammates and the ability for the destroyer or vessel launching the attack has likely moved to another spot on the map and setting up another torpedo attack.

#anchorsaweigh

True -- but in general I try to keep aircraft or friendlies in position to cooperatively spot torpedoes, DWT or otherwise.  

And for better or worse there's often that one YOLO who is at least good for spotting torpedoes on the way by... :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
827 posts
7,471 battles

You tend to note the vessels that carry DWT more on the mini-map, as they can be a threat in your area.

Hydro/planes are good to use when they are close to you as sometimes salvos can be short in duration from the enemy DD and you receive some unwelcome guests into your bulges.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
2,181 posts
9,827 battles

It re-emphasizes the value of team work. Every ship in battle has a job to do. DD's are the tip of the spear of spotting, early warning, helping with threat assessment. Sonar capable ships DD's, CA/CL's, and BB's help tremendously when dealing with them. Quick planning, working together, and being savy enough to adapt to any situation are priceless virtues. 

This will be magnified with the introduction of submarines in the future.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 1

Members
2,944 posts
3,742 battles

Honestly the only time I really notice DWTs is when someone is shooting them at me when I'm in a DD. That happens all the time. Rarely see them when I'm in my BBs. 

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
3 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Honestly the only time I really notice DWTs is when someone is shooting them at me when I'm in a DD. That happens all the time. Rarely see them when I'm in my BBs. 

Yeah, I get the distinct impression that a significant number of players don't even know what DWTs are, or how they work. 

So also, the number of torps I see fired from FAR beyond their max range. 

• Cool 1

[WGA]
1,340 posts
7,588 battles
8 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

It re-emphasizes the value of team work. Every ship in battle has a job to do. DD's are the tip of the spear of spotting, early warning, helping with threat assessment. Sonar capable ships DD's, CA/CL's, and BB's help tremendously when dealing with them. Quick planning, working together, and being savy enough to adapt to any situation are priceless virtues. 

When I play destroyers, and notice the other team has a ship with DWTs, I make it a point to provide a picket for the cruisers and battleships on my flank to provide as much early warning as possible.

Even if this means putting my ship at risk, I place my trust in my teammates to support me by engaging those ships/targets I am spotting for them.

"The difference between a good and great officer is about ten seconds." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,241 posts
15 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

So in, like 2026? 

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,795 posts
5,181 battles
4 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

To me, that depends on the boat I'm driving.  If I'm in a DD, obviously none at all.  If I'm in a CL/CA maybe a bit more than regular torpedoes due to their lower detection threshold.  If I'm in a BB somewhat more than regular torpedoes, but usually not a whole lot.  After all, there aren't a whole lot of boats on the enemy team that can fire them, what are the chances I'll be in position to be singled out by one of them?

To my fleet as a whole, they are somewhat less of a threat than normal torpedoes.  For whatever they gain in stealth, they are still detectable but can only damage a fraction of the team.  They are significantly more challenging to use correctly than regular torpedoes, so on the whole the team can expect fewer viable torpedo drops from DWT DD's than their counterparts with normal torpedoes.  The very same tactics that help cruisers and battleships avoid undetected regular torpedo launches are also just as effective in helping them avoid undetected DWT launches.

Overall, I don't see the necessity or advantage of DWT's, and I haven't since their introduction.  If regular torpedoes weren't effective enough at the time, shouldn't they have been adjusted until they were properly balanced?

Every class of DD has to approach the knife-fight from it's own perspective - some may be very similar in approach to others, but none are exactly the same.  Only one group of these botes has to run that race wearing just one shoe.

If Since you're going to leave them in, it should be a captains' option for each and every ship that mounts torpedoes, selected in port - regular torpedoes, or deep water?  (Ooh - maybe even get to choose per-launcher?)  Leave the Asashio as the only one with the option of deep-, DEEP-water torpedoes (and give her both regular, and DWT options too).

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
2,181 posts
9,827 battles
14 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So in, like 2026? 

I'm not for sure when. I have read it will be after the CV rework. 

[N-W-T]
Members
1,544 posts
6,384 battles

I do like the recent change where you don't get torpedo warnings if the torps can't harm you. I was hunting an Assashio the other day in my DM and got distracted by another ship. I turned back around just as several torps silently glided beneath me. Before the change, you couldn't be sure which ship they came from and oh-crap instinct kicked in. 

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,524 posts
10,911 battles

Ashi torps don't bother me two much, but when they do catch you its pretty bad...five into the hull of my Repub was not pretty.  The Pan Asian are more of at threat, as there are more targets to be  hit.

• Cool 1

[-MM-]
Members
251 posts
17,414 battles

I always equip hydro on my Cruisers and it detects DWT at the same distance as normal torpedoes.

So I dont treat them as anything different from normal torpedoes unless they are from Asashio, in which case wouldn't be a threat at all.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,424 posts
14,743 battles
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

A spotted deepwater torpedo is exactly as easy to dodge as a normal one. Unless you spot it with your armor, in which case, you deal with it by hitting damage control party...

• Cool 1

[TF-64]
Members
428 posts
15,115 battles

I haven't run up the PADD line but I know people who have and will throw dwt at a DD in smoke or in a knife fight to try and mess up the other guy even knowing they can't hit. Causing the other DD to change his actions can be just as effective. Not sure if they still do it with the alert changes though. 

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,538 posts
7,560 battles

The key advantage of DWTs is their stealth. That is the one defining feature that leads to their success and the frustration of the target, watching them pop out of nowhere.

The old and simple WASD-trick is already sufficient at migitating the damage. If you have, use Hydro as it removes the key advantage I mentioned above. DWTs and regular Torps are equal in the eyes of Hydro.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
10,305 posts
28,801 battles

They are another unnecessary gimmick that adds nothing to the game.

I love when red DDs carry them because then I can attack them in my own DDs without having to worry about getting torped.  I play none of the tech tree Pan-A DDs for that reason -- feel naked without torps that can take out enemy DDs.

Hate seeing Pan-A DDs on my team because like all gimmick ships, some other ship on the team has to carry the burden of the actions they cannot perform. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
3,081 posts
21,599 battles

I don't generally shoot regular torps at DDs...I try to aim for more capital ships w/them so DDs w/DWTs aren't really a hinderance when I run them & the torps are more stealthy for getting a better chance of hitting the ships I do aim them at. Fortunately the Pan Asian DDs have pretty decent guns to make up for the lack of ability to torp other DDs w/& it tends to give a better advantage in a knife fight w/another DD having the superior fire power.

• Cool 1

Members
926 posts
5,223 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

They are another unnecessary gimmick that adds nothing to the game.

I love when red DDs carry them because then I can attack them in my own DDs without having to worry about getting torped.  I play none of the tech tree Pan-A DDs for that reason -- feel naked without torps that can take out enemy DDs.

Hate seeing Pan-A DDs on my team because like all gimmick ships, some other ship on the team has to carry the burden of the actions they cannot perform. 

If I'm running a smoke RN CL a friendly Pan-A dd with radar is a beautiful sight to see. Tag team ftw.

Edited by Xanshin
  • Cool 1