You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlackEagle117

USN BB Buff!

54 comments in this topic

[PHU]
Members
23 posts
8,984 battles

Guys! I just found out on the PTS that the the rudder shifts for ALL hulls have been buffed, not just the A hulls! As a USN BB main this makes me very happy!!

South Carolina current rudder shift: 10.7s

RudderSC.jpg.5cefa8bdea5d4467fea2b24c3b8e20c7.jpg

Wyoming current rudder shift: 12.7s

RudderWY.jpg.f3b974154c982256de987273555b4676.jpg

New York current rudder shift: 12.5s

RudderNY.jpg.4fa596bc8dddace28de1c3445e281785.jpg

New Mexico current rudder shift: 13.5

RudderNM.jpg.0fbd375fb4daed0c284171aeada32d18.jpg

Colorado current rudder shift: 16.1s

RudderCO.jpg.09df272a590201c897ac229dfda25a5d.jpg

North Carolina current rudder shift: 17.3s

RudderNC.jpg.3c5c9ca346e2733c621e5315995a2872.jpg

Iowa current rudder shift: 19.5

RudderIowa.jpg.eea63b1fbc2cc14c4e1287bbecb76de0.jpg

By the looks of it the New York will be getting quite the buff (rudder shift, heal, reload)! Also, the North Carolina will be even more of a joy to play with that 760m turning circle and a MUCH faster rudder. I can't wait!

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,043 posts
9,373 battles

now hold the phone, i thought WG said this rudder shift buff was just going to be for the stock A hulls of the USN BBs, i guess they realized hardly anyone stays on the stock hull because theyre so awful, mainly on the South Carolina to Colorado

[WOLF5]
Members
2,357 posts
2,958 battles

All the hulls? That's much better.

Though, IMO the rudder shift up to T7 was already quite good. Iowa and NC are going to be much nicer to play though (although neither really needed a buff). IMO the NY, WY, and NM needed turret traverse buffs more than they needed better rudder shift. Now the turrets will have an even harder time keeping up with a turn.

The reload buff for NY is much needed, and the better heal is also nice.

[-K-]
Members
6,605 posts
10,961 battles

New York and South Carolina were by far the ships that needed the most love.  Not sure if this is quite the direction to go, but something is better than nothing.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
406 posts
3,914 battles

Very interesting.

It's good to see it will be for all the hulls. Just wish they'd shrink the turning radius down a bit for them as well, but other than that it's a pretty good buff.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, tcbaker777 said:

now hold the phone, i thought WG said this rudder shift buff was just going to be for the stock A hulls of the USN BBs, i guess they realized hardly anyone stays on the stock hull because theyre so awful, mainly on the South Carolina to Colorado

That was a kneejerk assumption made by a handful of BB mains who insisted that rudder buffs + a better heal than literally everyone else wasn't "enough" of a buff to suit them.

Everyone else just took what they said as gospel without researching it themselves.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[SPTR]
Members
26,718 posts
13,297 battles

Scary torpedobeating US BB mains next patch /;°_\\

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
9,779 posts
4,305 battles

The B Hull improvement is fixed - it doesn't change with the update.  So there is no buff to the B hull.

However, the fixed B hull bonus now will be applied to the buffed A hull, making the shift time of the B hull better.  An indirect buff.  (Good!)

Glad you pointed that out.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,166 posts
4,672 battles
7 hours ago, iEatChickenMcNuggets said:

They better buff my bama then, otherwise the only gimmick the thing would have is torpedo bulge 

well i have some bad news for you....

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,166 posts
4,672 battles
7 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

yes thats what the notes say, but the datamine is a buff across every single hull. i saw this a week ago but ive spent every day since in the middle of the woods.

Members
5,396 posts
3,213 battles

Why though... T8-10 USN BBs do not need a buff. NC and Iowa are literally the strongest tech tree BBs at their tier, and Montana is far from weak. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[SVF]
Members
1,199 posts
1,620 battles
4 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Why though... T8-10 USN BBs do not need a buff. NC and Iowa are literally the strongest tech tree BBs at their tier, and Montana is far from weak. 

Montana's not getting a buff.

Members
5,396 posts
3,213 battles
Just now, landcollector said:

Montana's not getting a buff.

My bad, would love to hear the justification for buffing NC and Iowa though. They should buff Missouri too while they're at it.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
233 posts
1,936 battles
7 hours ago, iEatChickenMcNuggets said:

They better buff my bama then, otherwise the only gimmick the thing would have is torpedo bulge 

That's what she said..... haha.

Hopefully this is just round one of buffs and we see more inbound.

• Boring 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,794 posts
3,975 battles

I'm actually all for this; it would make NC more fun, bring back more use of NY (since I was one of the few who got the rare Forum Camouflage for it, and still get asked how I got it), and actually convince me to grab Iowa, and just getting Montana too just to round things out. Just never had a reason to advance to Iowa since Missouri did everything Iowa could but better. Now Iowa seems to be getting slightly better rudder shift and heal, so it's a bit more durable than Missouri now.

But on the other hand, the IJN BBs are once again left behind. At least buffing their maneuverability would have been nice, considering their armor isn't as durable, their RP is standard (with Yamato's having been nerfed and given instead to the USN and RN BBs), and aside from the minor QoL changes to AP secondaries now being HE and the gun adjustments to Myogi, Izumo, and Yamato, they haven't exactly gotten a fuller update for the current meta.

Not asking for non-existent citadels or other ridiculous balancing "flavors", just a modest maneuverability buff (smaller turning radii would be nice) and maybe long-ranged secondaries for T5-T8, matching or slightly exceeding their German rivals, while having slightly better innate secondary accuracy from T5-10 (not Massachusetts level).

Basically, giving them a better turning circle than most other rivals (still held back by sluggish rudder shift) and making their secondaries a bit more of a threat in late-game pushes (assuming the players push). Something that allows them to be a bit more aggressive late-game, when there aren't as many threats and can bring in the secondaries to put the heat on more maneuverable opponents while waiting for the main guns to finish turning, or pulling off a strategic retreat thanks to a smaller turning circle (but having to time it right given the sluggish start due to poor Rudder Shift and speed loss on the turn).

Edited by YamatoA150
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[WOLF9]
Members
3,889 posts
7 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

All the hulls? That's much better.

Though, IMO the rudder shift up to T7 was already quite good. Iowa and NC are going to be much nicer to play though (although neither really needed a buff). IMO the NY, WY, and NM needed turret traverse buffs more than they needed better rudder shift. Now the turrets will have an even harder time keeping up with a turn.

The reload buff for NY is much needed, and the better heal is also nice.

Yep- they'll be like playing French BB's, lol.   On the other hand, being able to hide my citadel, and use my armor more effectively is a very welcome change.   Slow, but agile is not a bad trade-off in a match full of DD's , torp cruisers, and IJN CV's.    (Or when you unmask those rear turrets to take advantage of a great opportunity- and THEN notice the BB over yonder is lining YOU up for a similar treatment, lol)

I agree that NY has needed some help for a while now.  While I really enjoyed it while I was grinding it- the game has moved on, and these older ships have not.   (for example, I was already done with it, when they introduced Scharnhorst and sold, sold SOLD it.)  Nowadays when I attempt to have a bit of fun in Texas, I'm nearly always disappointed.  NY hasn't left port in more than a year...   I'm going to have to break it, and it's cool looking icicle camo out and play it again, once the buffs are implimented.

Short of a total ahistorical fantasy buff,  enhancing it's (and the rest of the line's) good points is probably the best way to make grinding through the mid tiers more enjoyable.   Had I intended to play lots of games in these ships again, I may have re-assigned John Doe, with his enhanced EM skill to it.  (he's on Monty, benefitting greatly from the legendary grind, and all the Halsey mission grinding I've been doing!)

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,838 posts
12,054 battles

I think this whole-line change (well, except Montana...) is a bad one.

It follows on from the IJN CA buff which I think was disastrous for cementing power creep, bumping ships into OP territory and was generally lazy - but at least consistent. Buffing Furutaka over Omaha/Emerald was absurd. Buffing Atago, now a 'non-nerfable' premium at T8 is also highly questionable considering it was rushed out in a week or so.

It also follows on from the IJN DD buff which I also think was a lazy balancing mistake, though at least applied to the whole line.

When WG bolted MBRB on to the FR cruiser line, they did at least bother to say 'well Charles Martel and Saint Louis are already overperforming so we'll tweak their reload in exchange'.

What is the point of buffing Myogi, if you immediately turn around and buff the (already solid IMO) Wyoming? Certainly New York needs a buff, certainly Colorado and New Mexico could survive one. The inconsistent nature of the buff 'USN BB have good handling - except Montana, Alabama, Massachusetts, Missouri and Texas' and 'USN BB repair is 0.66%/s except for Montana (because reasons) and all the prems' is also a bad move. WG has recently moved to reduce the number of 'try to remember this' steps, for instance standardizing hydro at nice round numbers.

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,357 posts
2,958 battles
29 minutes ago, mofton said:

I think this whole-line change (well, except Montana...) is a bad one.

It follows on from the IJN CA buff which I think was disastrous for cementing power creep, bumping ships into OP territory and was generally lazy - but at least consistent. Buffing Furutaka over Omaha/Emerald was absurd. Buffing Atago, now a 'non-nerfable' premium at T8 is also highly questionable considering it was rushed out in a week or so.

It also follows on from the IJN DD buff which I also think was a lazy balancing mistake, though at least applied to the whole line.

When WG bolted MBRB on to the FR cruiser line, they did at least bother to say 'well Charles Martel and Saint Louis are already overperforming so we'll tweak their reload in exchange'.

What is the point of buffing Myogi, if you immediately turn around and buff the (already solid IMO) Wyoming? Certainly New York needs a buff, certainly Colorado and New Mexico could survive one. The inconsistent nature of the buff 'USN BB have good handling - except Montana, Alabama, Massachusetts, Missouri and Texas' and 'USN BB repair is 0.66%/s except for Montana (because reasons) and all the prems' is also a bad move. WG has recently moved to reduce the number of 'try to remember this' steps, for instance standardizing hydro at nice round numbers.

Pretty much. I can understand not buffing Missouri, that ship is borderline OP with no real weak points. AL turns like a cruiser already, a rudder shift buff would be absurd. Texas however, while it has the best AA for the tier, still turns like a barge, has a gasoline covered deck, eats pens from every angle, and struggles to keep the 14" shotguns on target while driving in a straight line, not too mention the horrible reload. If they're buffing NY, buff the TX too. And then there's Iowa needs buffs, but Monty is fine. IMO they're both fine, but if you're buffing one, just go ahead and buff the other. Giving the Montana a slightly better rudder and a heal to match the rest of the line wouldn't make it OP by any stretch.

What this feels like is WG is tired of the complaints about how the USN line is powercrept, and is slapping this on it so they can say "look, we fixed it."

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
9 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

There's proof that WG mis-management is out of touch with their own product.

[PHU]
Members
23 posts
8,984 battles

After playing these ships on the PTS a bit, I am more than satisfied with just the rudder shift buff. It really fits into the NC's play style, of having a vulnerable citadel, but it's offset with a fast rudder. Not that I had any trouble with the NC before, but it's a great QoL improvement (especially when you want to unmask the rear turret). The same can be said for the Iowa. This combined with the heal is a bit overkill, I'll just take the rudder shift buff and call it a day.

[RIPCV]
Members
143 posts
807 battles

The heck? Do they even need the buffs? 

The entire thing is, IMO, bum-backwards as hell. 

The heal buff was crazy enough, but this??? 

They're buffing New York and New Mexico, which is good. They could use that. But then they also buff North Carolina, which is probably the best T8 BB, and now it's clear-cut better than Alabama with its improved heal and now similar handling. 

Are they serious? 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1