You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TRACER___

Goodbye lootboxes?

304 comments in this topic

Members
1,579 posts
8,515 battles

I like santa crates, but agree its totally gambling and needs to be regulated as such. The moronic nature of which it has not been designated as gambling is astounding (its literally a wording issue from before there was any possibility of digital goods) and rather than change the wording to accommodate the digital age no one gave a [edited].

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,675 posts
10,044 battles

Yeah I don't like them. I get why they do it and I think WG gives better value than most but I would prefer to shop for what I want.

• Cool 3

[WMD]
Members
201 posts
5,678 battles

If loot boxes are banned expect price increases on the desirable items like ships. 

Loot boxes make money because we buy them hoping to score a bit win with a ship, but are satisfied with any of the rewards if we get them. Remove that and people will buy less things, so WG will need to increase prices. As Jeremy points out in the video, what comes next may be worse, sometimes the devil you know is better. 

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,633 battles

Loot boxes are and always have been gambling where the legal definition just hadn't caught up to the modern implementation.  You pay money to gamble on whether or not you get the item (payout) you want.  They are gambling, they are predatory (and literally designed to prey on a few whales by in large by taking advantage of people susceptible to gambling addiction) and in most games where they are implemented they make the overall game experience worse because they need to pressure you to buy them.  The final point is a lot less true here since you can usually just buy outright what's in the boxes, but that just reinforces how they are gambling.  You pay money for a CHANCE at a discount on what you want.  Some European jurisdictions are already calling them what they are and while I don't hold much faith that the US ever will since here regulation almost exclusively exists to PROTECT large capital interests I can always hope.

Also, I'd prepare to have this thread moved to off topic to die.  Someone else posted one and that's where it went.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[BOTES]
Members
166 posts
3,354 battles

I'd at least say WG's lootboxes aren't quite the same, since they've set it up such that any money you put in will end up giving you a guaranteed greater value than buying straight doubloons.
It's not the best practice, but at least it feels a hell of a lot more ethical compared to EA products.

• Cool 7

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,034 posts
9,529 battles
20 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I like santa crates, but agree its totally gambling and needs to be regulated as such. The moronic nature of which it has not been designated as gambling is astounding (its literally a wording issue from before there was any possibility of digital goods) and rather than change the wording to accommodate the digital age no one gave a [edited].

It’s not gambling if you win something every time. You don’t win every time you pull a slot machine lever or spin the roulette wheel. By your definition buying a happy meal with a prize in it is gambling. So would be buying cracker jacks.

Edited by SavageTactical
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[A_51]
Members
362 posts
13,886 battles

WG has my complete confidence in their ability to find new and creative ways to separate gamers from their money.

• Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,838 posts
1 minute ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

I'd at least say WG's lootboxes aren't quite the same, since they've set it up such that any money you put in will end up giving you a guaranteed greater value than buying straight doubloons.
It's not the best practice, but at least it feels a hell of a lot more ethical compared to EA products.

That's no longer the case. A Black Friday case costs $5. One of the prizes is  Type 59 camo, which if you work out the math, would cost 600 doubloons, or about $3. 

I don't think this applies any longer

[REVY]
Members
6,106 posts
5,104 battles

This is fine.  I see no reason why paid lootboxes ever need to be in a game.  The random RNG for prizes really does exploit some people with gambling problems and I see no "positive" reason for it apart from plain greed.

• Boring 1

[R-F]
Members
820 posts
6,640 battles
7 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

It’s not gambling if you win something every time. You don’t win every time you pull a slot machine lever or spin the roulette wheel. By your definition buying a happy meal with a prize in it is gambling. So would be buying cracker jacks.

So if I started up a lottery that was just like the powerball but all "non winning" tickets could be redeemed for a brand new #2 pencil, it wouldn't be gambling anymore?

• Funny 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,034 posts
9,529 battles
7 minutes ago, FirestormMk3 said:

Loot boxes are and always have been gambling where the legal definition just hadn't caught up to the modern implementation.  You pay money to gamble on whether or not you get the item (payout) you want.  They are gambling, they are predatory (and literally designed to prey on a few whales by in large by taking advantage of people susceptible to gambling addiction) and in most games where they are implemented they make the overall game experience worse because they need to pressure you to buy them.  The final point is a lot less true here since you can usually just buy outright what's in the boxes, but that just reinforces how they are gambling.  You pay money for a CHANCE at a discount on what you want.  Some European jurisdictions are already calling them what they are and while I don't hold much faith that the US ever will since here regulation almost exclusively exists to PROTECT large capital interests I can always hope.

Also, I'd prepare to have this thread moved to off topic to die.  Someone else posted one and that's where it went.

Let’s just be honest here, the people calling it gambling here are just mad they didn’t get a ship and European authoritarians are just wanting to squeeze more money into their their welfare systems.  

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[DDM_]
Members
1,122 posts
3,785 battles
1 minute ago, SavageTactical said:

Let’s just be honest here, the people calling it gambling here are just mad they didn’t get a ship and European authoritarians are just wanting to squeeze more money into their their welfare systems.  

Pretty much this.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
6,106 posts
5,104 battles

Let's be honest here, the explosion in child gambling in UK is a real problem and shouldn't be trivialized.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-HLQ-]
Members
55 posts
3,048 battles

From the article I read, a Senator posed a question to the FTC head during a hearing about whether the FTC would investigate the potential harmful effects of loot boxes on children, and he agreed the FTC would investigate and issue a report.

So...it's focused solely on the potential harmful effects of loot box buying on minors.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ftc-investigates-video-game-loot-boxes-kids-gambling-connection-2018-11

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,633 battles

Not mad I didn't get a ship because I didn't buy any.  I already know the house always wins when gambling.  The second half of your sentence does nothing but demonstrate a need to resort to personal attacks and strawman arguments while showing off your right-wing political views, so cool I guess.  Anyway, I'm calling it gambling because it's gambling, not because I gambled and lost or because of my politics.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 6

[BOTES]
Members
166 posts
3,354 battles
6 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

That's no longer the case. A Black Friday case costs $5. One of the prizes is  Type 59 camo, which if you work out the math, would cost 600 doubloons, or about $3. 

I don't think this applies any longer

My only experience was with Christmas crates, hopefully they shape up by then.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,034 posts
9,529 battles
1 minute ago, Brhinosaurus said:

So if I started up a lottery that was just like the powerball but all "non winning" tickets could be redeemed for a brand new #2 pencil, it wouldn't be gambling anymore?

So are you going to require McDonald’s to file for a gambling license since they put random toys in their kid’s meals?

• Funny 1

[PRDEF]
Members
81 posts
3,936 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Let's be honest here, the explosion in child gambling in UK is a real problem and shouldn't be trivialized.

Sounds like the issue is parents in the UK not supervising the activities/habits of their children.

• Cool 4

[RLGN]
Members
527 posts
4,633 battles
2 minutes ago, Sventex said:

In the words of @R_Razor, pretty much this.

Members
1,579 posts
8,515 battles
12 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

See below. Just because you get some useless token to compensate for not getting what you wanted doesn't mean you won anything of value.

4 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

[NMKJT]
Members
2,838 posts
2 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

So are you going to require McDonald’s to file for a gambling license since they put random toys in their kid’s meals?

If you get the wrong toy, walk up to the counter and ask, they will give you the right one.  Anyone with a kid has been through this

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[DDM_]
Members
1,122 posts
3,785 battles
1 minute ago, Kevs02Accord said:

See below. Just because you get some useless token to compensate for not getting what you wanted doesn't mean you won anything of value.

And who exactly forced you to purchase whatever it was that earned you that token exactly? Are you one of those that believe individuals shouldn't have freedom of choice and that the nanny state should decide what you can and cannot but in terms of digital content in a video game?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,281 posts
2 minutes ago, rufus374 said:

Sounds like the issue is parents in the UK not supervising the activities/habits of their children.

We better have the government ban video games for children as some get addicted to them plus they need to exercise more anyway. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1