You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Asashio yes or no?

37 comments in this topic

[MVKS]
Members
161 posts
3,344 battles

Is the Asashio any better (less situational) now that the IJN guns got buffed?  I’m thinking about getting it BF style. 

[-K-]
Members
5,477 posts
9,417 battles

Still a very situational ship, heavily dependent on the matchmaker.  Still nowhere near a gunboat, as virtually every other high tier DD can outgun you.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
357 posts
4,847 battles

So. I can't compare to asashio 1.0, but I did have observations from my game.  

1) not going to win a fair knife fight

2) asashio's detectability is AWEsome. You can keep red dds lit and freaked out. 

3) you can snipe kills - I mean kill secure

4) so many many torps miss. 

Edited by skillztowin
  • Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Members
121 posts
6,287 battles

Asashio has torps which can only hit about one third of the enemy ships in a match and guns which cannot ever come close to competing in a fair fight. It is literally my favourite ship to see in the enemy team. It can't shoot, it can't contest  early on(since if it is spotted it can't fight), and I know how to use WASD hacks in a BB so I generally don't get torped. I'd save your money for something else.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
505 posts
13,310 battles

As long as you are still willing to do DD things like spot and cap and not bypass everything thing and try and farm damage, yes Asashio is a very fun ship.  If you happen to have a higher tier ijn gunboat Captain it can help you a lot when you do encounter a enemy DD.  Not to mention Asashio sort of works better without the torp reload Captain skill as your consumable is almost perfectly ready every other torp reload.

[_USS_]
Members
339 posts
10,339 battles

I do not like that ship.

I hate that ship

Having said that, I have an Asashio, actually 2 including the B variant

I have been playing it to earn the 2500 doubloons for the mission. Been playing co-op mostly but then decided to get blasted in the face in randoms.............

end result ..........BB's Die quickly and stay detected the entire match. The spotting ability is extremely good.The torpedoes are really good, I run the speed boost on the torpedoes and have a 16k range.

I contest caps. I cap points. I do not border hump. After the cap I hunt down ships and smoke my team when needed

It does not knife fight..........The Jutland, Yueyang and Kitakaze I blasted make me think otherwise. 

now, I really really like this ship.

It is weak and fragile but a good addition (for me) and I play like crap.

• Cool 4

[RQL]
[RQL]
Beta Testers
656 posts
14,410 battles

As others have said, it is a situational ship -

• You can scout easily but be deterred by good CV play. 
  • it is quite often in tier 10 battles as with any tier 8 but when it gets into those BB heavy tier 8 battles, can dominate as long as you do not over extend
  • RDF is a must on this ship so you know the direction to the closest ship
  • Torps are fun area denial weapons and from closer range are very deadly to BBs and CVs.   It is also funny to see how many ships turn when they see the torps even if they will not get hit.  The key is to be discreet and set up your support ships for targets to focus. 
  • With its detection range, the Asashio can still finish off low health ships when team mates are not in position to insure the kill.

So to answer your question, yes, a most definite yes to getting her if you like DD play.   I have had the Asashio for some time and now have the Asashio B

shot-18.11.27_17.05.55-0214.jpg

shot-18.11.27_20.43.04-0424.jpg

• Cool 1

[TAFY3]
Members
369 posts
7,830 battles

The Asashio is an extreme ship and for that reason alone, I recommend it.  It's fun having the oddest ships of their class, especially when they are gimmicky. 

I will go on to argue that she's valuable in every match because she's as stealthy as it gets.  You will be a huge value to the team at capping and spotting if you play her to her strengths.  My 2 cents. 

Edit:  Do the dd guns get buffed too?  The Asashio guns do surprising damage but the turret rotation and reload is so slow, it's just good for sniping kills or beating up superior gun dds driven by inferior captains.  The range is short enough that if you're using your guns, you probably aren't going to miss.  An accuracy buff won't help much.

Edited by driedjello

[STAR]
Members
2,736 posts
8,003 battles

IMO no, there are better DDs that you can get, both silver and premium.

Very situational ship. Its OP against BB and UP against DDs and cruisers. IMO one of the worst additions to the game, since it promotes a very selfish playstyle.  

• Bad 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,642 posts
8,499 battles

Lucked out yesterday and got the Asashio B from a free Black Friday container - It suffers from the old USN CV issue of over specialization still. Fun, but not able to carry when only 2 of 6 remaining red ships are BB's, 1 is a weakened DD, and the other 3 are full HP cruisers. Literally any other IJN DDwould have a chance just on launching torps and praying with their over nerfed spotting range.

Also - that "Buff" honestly did next to nothing, Wargaming actually said up front that it'd basically not change anything, beyond kill a super low health ship a volley sooner maybe. 2 if RNG favours you. Why as much as it's great to have one of the myriad of IJN nerfs undone - most of us would like to see an ACTUAL improvement. Either return them to true torp boat kings by putting the torp spotted ranges back in line with all the other nations (increasing ability to hit by dropping 1-2 seconds off base spotting times, more when Vig/TASM are involved) or saying screw it and making the line actual hybrids like Germany or PA DD.  

Asashio really needs either more RoF, or standard DWT's like Pan-Asia that can still hit cruisers. 

edit: also, I saw the mission pop up for the gold after I got Asashio B, but it wasn't tracking - is this a "has to be regular Asashio" and the games kinda trolling me deal or something?

Edited by WanderingGhost

[SIM]
Members
2,682 posts
4,423 battles

Yes, she’s still specialized. Yes, she’s still quite good. Once you learn to balance out your desire to delete all the BBs with the understanding that your team still relies on you to do DD things, you’ll find that she’s a fantastic little boat. 

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
210 posts
15,054 battles

I just got the Asashio Black in a Black Friday container so I can't compare it to the pre-buff Asashio, but I've been doing surprisingly well in it. You have to play it differently compared to other DDs because it doesn't have the guns to be a dedicated gunboat and you can't use your torps to deter aggressive DDs or cruisers. I'd say it's a good boat for learning how to position yourself; for torpedo strikes, for capping so the enemy has no shot on you, for spotting enemy ships your allies can shoot.

And even though the guns don't compare to dedicated gunboats, the alpha strike means you can absolutely help bring down ships if they are on low health or you have friendlies nearby. My first game I gunned down a Benson who was busy dodging shots from a friendly cruiser.

So I'd recommend the ship. Maybe not as your main DD but as something to play when you want to change things up a bit. Keep the enemy lit, cap when the opportunity arises but not before, and keep the enemy BBs dancing with your torps. Asashio can be great fun if you have the patience to play to its strengths.

[WOLFC]
Members
210 posts
15,054 battles
14 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

also, I saw the mission pop up for the gold after I got Asashio B, but it wasn't tracking - is this a "has to be regular Asashio" and the games kinda trolling me deal or something?

Yes, you need the regular Asashio to play the 2500 gold mission. Yes, it is rather trollish for the mission to appear even if you don't have the regular ship. No, WG, I'm not going to buy the regular ship just so I can get 2500 gold.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
703 posts
12,823 battles

Assasio is a very good ship. But being able to kill just BBs is very situational. once they are gone you can still cap and spot but... you useless :D so take KIDD :D

• Boring 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,724 posts
5,924 battles
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Is the Asashio any better (less situational) now that the IJN guns got buffed?  I’m thinking about getting it BF style. 

It's not markedly better than it was before. Take that with a grain of salt though because it was never a bad ship. As people have said it is just hyperspecialized. It does one thing incredibly well and a second thing quite well. #1 is it attacks BBs very well, #2 is it scouts fairly well. Unfortunately that is pretty much it for its upsides. Also, people rarely use it for #2 because they are (understandably) afraid to be without torps if a cruiser or DD comes a-calling especially when those are the two ship types most likely to be coming for you while you are scouting. Also, doing #2 well tends to detract from #1. Unfortunately in order to win matches consistently you need your DDs to do #2 more than #1.

Back to answering you action question … buffed guns don't turn it into a gunboat that can hold its own against another DD. They just mean that you can finish off a cripple or contribute some firepower on a target that is already under attack. If you are using your guns in Asashio you better be very sure that you can kill it. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

Watching her in action, I think she's a great DD, but how she does business because of torps that only damage BBs & CVs makes her completely different.  This isn't your typical DD gameplay where you got torps as a potential ace against other DDs and Cruisers.

[-GS-]
Beta Testers
1,903 posts
19,318 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

no on the ship.

I have both and enjoy the both of them , the BBs are terrified of them and for good reasons because they never see the torps coming           hehehehehehe

• Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
10,077 battles

Hell Yes. 

Forget the torps the stealth alone makes the ship amazing. You are great at contesting the objective. You are amazing at leading the main flank and keeping the enemy spotted. Yes it is not a gun boat but the guns are not bad and you can smoke up and fire from smoke. Ship is great. Add the LOL torps and it is really fun ship to play.

Plus it is a tier 8 prem IJN DD so . Great for captain training, which you want because both tier 10 IJN DD's are great. Also nice money maker. You only have to make a 1 or 2 good torp attacks per game and you are over 100k damage easy.

I find it odd that some think it is MM dependent I find her role as BB Killer and amazing stealth makes her immune to MM concerns.

Also odd that some think it is a selfish ship. It certainly can be but like I have mentioned you are a great scout. Get in front of your CA's and BB's and spot for them. You will out spot most of the DD's you come up against. Spot stay dark and let your team rain down the pain. Since your torp range is so crazy you can do both jobs at the same time.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
992 posts
3,604 battles

It is basically a Kagero with twice the range deep water torpedoes (good vs BB/CV) and extra 20 second reload.  With the new buff to HE damage, they hit like a train.

[NNA]
Members
283 posts
6,392 battles

This ship is the epitome of a single-use ship. There are some definite good points to it, but there are also a number of bad too. Much of her performance will depend on how you play her. Even if MM places you in an uneven match. Her concealment is one of her biggest advantages. If you just take her to the edges of the map and attempt to torp BBs and CVs you will be very disappointed with the results. In my opinion, this ship has to played with a fair amount of aggression. She can net you some good results if you use your concealment to harass DDs and stalk BBs. Yes her guns are not that great, but they can still deal some decent damage if you catch a DD or CA unawares, but she is definitely not a knife fight ship. Even though she has a 20km torp range with a low detection rate, you still need to get within a good range for you to delete those unaware BBs and CVs. If they know you're there then they will maneuver to avoid any torps you fire.

[SHAFT]
Members
261 posts
10,908 battles
3 hours ago, Gary_P said:

I do not like that ship.

I hate that ship

Having said that, I have an Asashio, actually 2 including the B variant

I have been playing it to earn the 2500 doubloons for the mission. Been playing co-op mostly but then decided to get blasted in the face in randoms.............

end result ..........BB's Die quickly and stay detected the entire match. The spotting ability is extremely good.The torpedoes are really good, I run the speed boost on the torpedoes and have a 16k range.

I contest caps. I cap points. I do not border hump. After the cap I hunt down ships and smoke my team when needed

It does not knife fight..........The Jutland, Yueyang and Kitakaze I blasted make me think otherwise. 

now, I really really like this ship.

It is weak and fragile but a good addition (for me) and I play like crap.

Shhhhh...you're selling the trade secrets. Its a terrible ship, stick with the general theme.

This ship more than any other excels playing the dedicated dd roles early game. Scouting and spotting red dds for your cruisers, baiting them to fire while you drop off detection.

Its low detection should not be underestimated.

Regarding the guns, at the mid to longer ranges you can give a good account of yourself as they are basically Shima guns with slower turret traverse. Hard hitting and accurate, angle away and keep the fight at mid engagement range and enjoy the salt.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
10,077 battles

I am not a great player but Asashio is my

Best damage farmer as well.

Name Tier Type Nation Battles ▼ WR Dmg XP K/D Sh☠ Pl☠ Srv MBH TH WTR
  12345678910 DDCA/CLBBCV FranceGermanyJapanPolandUKUSAUSSRItalyCommonwealth  
PJSD708.png HSF Harekaze 8 DD japan_wows.svg Japan 231 58.44% 40,898 1,741 1.6 0.9 0.2 45% 46% 7% 1,481
PJSD108.png Akizuki 8 DD japan_wows.svg Japan 78 43.59% 32,781 1,402 0.6 0.5 0.3 14% 41% 7% 910
PASD008.png Benson 8 DD usa.svg USA 72 51.39% 29,702 1,584 0.9 0.7 0.1 22% 39% 5% 1,011
PRSD208.png Ognevoi 8 DD ussr.svg USSR 66 56.06% 38,971 1,691 1.5 1.0 0.2 38% 43% 5% 1,637
PRSD308.png Kiev 8 DD ussr.svg USSR 66 56.06% 27,703 1,468 0.7 0.5 0.3 20% 46% 3% 1,003
PJSD518.png Asashio 8 DD japan_wows.svg Japan 55 60.00% 83,501 2,114 3.8 1.0 0.0 73% 42% 10% 1,425
PGSD108.png Z-23 8 DD germany.svg Germany 43 65.12% 27,374 1,519 0.8 0.6 0.1 28% 46% 5% 997
PBSD108.png Lightning 8 DD uk.svg UK 21 71.43% 35,569 1,851 1.3 0.7 0.1 43% 40% 4% 1,120
PFSD508.png Le Terrible 8 DD france.svg France 20 65.00% 37,444 1,587 1.1 0.8 0.1 30% 42% 5% 1,175
small.png Fubuki 8 DD japan_wows.svg Japan 16 37.50% 32,629 1,551 2.2 1.3 0.3 44% 47% 6% 1,373
PZSD508.png Loyang 8 DD pan_asia.svg Pan-Asia 10 50.00% 23,598 1,429 1.5 0.9 0.3 40% 35% 6% 1,074
PASD508.png Kidd 8 DD usa.svg USA 9 55.56% 25,571 1,398 0.7 0.6 0.7 22% 47% 3% 874
PJSD208.png Kagero 8 DD japan_wows.svg Japan 6 83.33% 49,024 2,162 2.3 1.2 0.0 50% 46% 6% 1,880
PJSD598.png Asashio B 8 DD japan_wows.svg Japan 6 50.00% 80,425 1,856 1.3 0.8 0.0 33% 52% 13% 1,216
PBSD517.png Cossack 8 DD uk.svg UK 3 66.67% 43,156 1,844 1.7 0.0 100% 45% 8% 1,933