You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Hegemonia

Apparently stealth firing is still a thing, somehow?

11 comments in this topic

[-DVL-]
Members
4 posts
2,099 battles

Firstly, why? Secondly, HOW?! No smoke, no rock, no cover; nothing! Atlanta's well within range of my KGV's guns (even with the stock FCS) but somehow he's firing FROM. STEALTH.

Also the file has the date for this battle; 11/28/18 at 11:18 PM, so it's not a pre 0.6.3 battle

World of Warships Screenshot 2018.11.28 - 23.18.45.28.png

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,704 posts
4,821 battles

are you sure there was nothing blocking your view?

[-DVL-]
Members
4 posts
2,099 battles

Absolutely positive, and in the image you can see here he is in the middle of the open ocean with no smoke screen to cover him; you can even see the shots that had just left his gun barrels and entered the skyline if you look closely; I can upload the replay for you to take a look at

Edited by Hegemonia

Members
5,582 posts
6,330 battles

What he's doing is shooting with you outside of his gun range. As you approach, you drive right into where the shells will land.

So he fires when you're at 15km out, and by the time the shells reach the 14km max range they have, you've covered that one kilometer in distance and are now in their flight path.

He's never spotted because you, nor anyone else is within his gun range to trip the bloom time. Players that use this trick won't be as accurate because one, they're not locked on so they don't automatically track your movement and two, by not being locked on they don't have the dispersion bonus. Their dispersion circle is roughly twice the size it would be if he did have a target lock.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 6

[-DVL-]
Members
4 posts
2,099 battles

Well then. Thanks for giving me yet another reason to vaporize Atlanta players whenever I get the opportunity to (if I can, given how this little wonder kept me both lit up and kept lighting me on fire). Here's the replay for you to look at if you so desire; https://replayswows.com/replay/36250#stats

Members
5,582 posts
6,330 battles
8 minutes ago, Hegemonia said:

Well then. Thanks for giving me yet another reason to vaporize Atlanta players whenever I get the opportunity to (if I can, given how this little wonder kept me both lit up and kept lighting me on fire). Here's the replay for you to look at if you so desire; https://replayswows.com/replay/36250#stats

Any ship can do it. It's just a bit easier with USN CLs because of the slightly shorter gun ranges and long shell flight times out to max range.

The player still has to find someone determined enough to keep sailing at them, and one that cannot catch up. It also generally only works late game, when there are few to no DDs and less ships around to spot them.

Edit: Also, one of those two DDs in the south was what was keeping you spotted for the Atlanta.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[-DVL-]
Members
4 posts
2,099 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Any ship can do it. It's just a bit easier with USN CLs because of the slightly shorter gun ranges and long shell flight times out to max range.

I wouldn't call it 'a bit' easier though, since USN CLs tend to fold like a deck of cards when brought under concentrated firepower (British inaccuracy notwithstanding) and the Atlanta is the only ship thus far demonstrated able to perform this task

[POP]
Members
1,393 posts
16,494 battles
9 minutes ago, Hegemonia said:

I wouldn't call it 'a bit' easier though, since USN CLs tend to fold like a deck of cards when brought under concentrated firepower (British inaccuracy notwithstanding) and the Atlanta is the only ship thus far demonstrated able to perform this task

Its something you will see from kiting DDs as well Khaba for instance can do this if you decide to chase it. I will even do it in high tier matches for my opening salvo as the enemy pushes in just so they take fire without being targeted and getting spooked at times.

Edited by Alabamastan

[STURM]
Members
471 posts
4,143 battles
9 minutes ago, Hegemonia said:

I've seen it done with the Cleveland, but any light criuser with shorter range and slow shells can do it. The NDJ/Bosie is good at it, thanks to the short range, number of guns, and shell flight time.

Community Department
2,786 posts
810 battles
2 hours ago, Hegemonia said:

2 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

What he's doing is shooting with you outside of his gun range. As you approach, you drive right into where the shells will land.

So he fires when you're at 15km out, and by the time the shells reach the 14km max range they have, you've covered that one kilometer in distance and are now in their flight path.

He's never spotted because you, nor anyone else is within his gun range to trip the bloom time. Players that use this trick won't be as accurate because one, they're not locked on so they don't automatically track your movement and two, by not being locked on they don't have the dispersion bonus. Their dispersion circle is roughly twice the size it would be if he did have a target lock.

Thanks, you are right. 
Any ship can do this if you handle your speed carefully and aim right before your target. It's hard enough to do and generally used by chance. Also the effectiveness is not really high.
Even if don't see the ship you may try to make a salvo at his shots. It's like shooting in the smoke. May affect.

[MEIST]
Members
1,093 posts
4,321 battles
5 hours ago, Hegemonia said:

Atlanta is the only ship thus far demonstrated able to perform this task

Many others can do this as well. It isn't an Atlanta gimmick. Best advice is to break off the chase. If he has to come at you he won't be able to do that.

• Cool 1