You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Renuz

RDF....is it worth the 4 pts ?

50 comments in this topic

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
110 posts
8,890 battles

Ok...so some in my clan say RDF is needed for clan battles. I've played lots of clan battles without RDF,  because after awhile....I pretty much know where people are at.

I found RDF almost useless in random battles. It's kinda helpful in clan battles, but not 4 pts helpful.

What do ya'll think ??

Also....use of the Detonation flag on DD and BB. I don't use it because I've rarely had a detonation issue in those ships. CA..yes..always use it. ...your thoughts on that ??

Edited by Renuz

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,745 posts

Flambass seems to be one of the better players around and he uses it on nearly all his DDs. I'm seriously thinking about starting to level up another Gearing captain and include the skill. It would be nice to know a bit more about where the enemy is. I do know that if I'm located in my Gearing it's nearly impossible to successfully flank a good team, as they know there is a DD out there somewhere.

I never use a detonation flag and can't remember the last time I was detonated. I've seen it happen to others in chat. With the new mechanic I think that ships are usually detonated when they would have been sunk by the salvo anyway. Looking at my detonation awards and battles played, I seem to get detonated every 167 games.

Edited by Snargfargle

[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

RDF is needed in clan battles, but not ever boat needs it.  But 1 or 2 of the boats in the CB should be equipped with it

• Cool 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,637 posts
5,229 battles

It's useful for CAs when tracking down DDs that are spotting on the flanks.  Awful lot of points for that somewhat rare situation.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
531 posts
3,283 battles

It's very useful for many DDs.  The only downside aside from the 4 points is it also provides the enemy with some info.

[JASH]
Members
3,721 posts
10,418 battles

I use Radio Location for nearly all of my DDs.

Edited by MrKillmister

[PQUOD]
Members
2,181 posts
9,827 battles

Every class of ship except CV.

1rst 4 point Captain skill I pick concealment, then RDF. That's just my preference though.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,442 posts
18,784 battles
4 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

It's very useful for many DDs.  The only downside aside from the 4 points is it also provides the enemy with some info.

^^^

A decent player when LOCATED! can look on the map, his position relative to his teammates, and get an idea where the RDF slotted enemy ship is at.  At least the general direction.  If that guy is in a Division and can quickly, clearly communicate it to his Div Mates...

[KP]
Members
81 posts
8,310 battles

I find it incredibly useful, I mainly run it on my Jap dds and mino. well worth the points. Check out flamus latest  video about it.

Members
1,484 posts
9,672 battles

For det flags, I use them at high tier only, mainly on gunboats and almost exclusively on russian gunboats like khabarovsk. I've been detonated too many times in the past to not use one...and for some unknown reason, I've been detonated in shimakaze quite a few times.

[INTEL]
Members
7,160 posts
29,771 battles

All my gunboats have RDF. I find it useful information to hunt.

Defensively works too as more that once you are shooting from smoke at a target and suddenly RDF switches pointing to your rear. Oops. Unseen DD flanking you!

All my DDs T5+ Det Flags when using the fire flag that increases chances (PvP only)

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,747 battles
5 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Every class of ship except CV.

1rst 4 point Captain skill I pick concealment, then RDF. That's just my preference though.

Even on battleships!? :Smile_amazed:

[ARGSY]
Members
11,942 posts
7,585 battles
33 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Even on battleships!? :Smile_amazed:

There is an argument for it, especially if you're trying to hunt down that last, lone enemy whose presence could cause you to lose on points. The more of you there are with RDF, the easier it is to triangulate the poor bastard who's trying for Solo Warrior. Alternatively, if it's just you and them and either kill would end the match, you know which direction he's coming from and can avoid him.

[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

For CB

• DD: practically a must
  • CA: not 100% required, but really, what else are you going to use the last 7~9pts on?
  • CL: same as above, but 5~7pts
  • BB: Take FP or CE, because that's a better use of 4pts

For Randoms/Ranked

• DD: Not a must, but extremely useful for hunting down red DDs and denying them spotting and zones
  • CA/CL: It depends on ship, but it's either you pick RDF, which is useful 100% of the time, or you pick AFT, which isn't always useful, because AFT on cruisers is mainly about shooting down aircraft.
  • BB: No, RDF doesn't help as much as other skills
Edited by MrDeaf

[TOG]
Members
3,545 posts
18,761 battles
18 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

CA: not 100% required, but really, what else are you going to use the last 7~9pts on?

It's useful. If you get detected and there's no one visible, RDF will tell you the grid square the dd is at. It's very useful in the opening minutes. You can intuit if if a contact is merging or going in a particular direction.

[H-WS]
Members
348 posts
5,613 battles
27 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

CA/CL: It depends on ship, but it's either you pick RDF, which is useful 100% of the time, or you pick AFT, which isn't always useful, because AFT on cruisers is mainly about shooting down aircraft.

Yeah, I chose RDF for my second 4 point skill on Zao after going back for an additional 2 point skill (don’t remember what though).  I felt like I had no other useful skill to get. 

[-K-]
Members
6,466 posts
10,747 battles
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There is an argument for it, especially if you're trying to hunt down that last, lone enemy whose presence could cause you to lose on points. The more of you there are with RDF, the easier it is to triangulate the poor bastard who's trying for Solo Warrior. Alternatively, if it's just you and them and either kill would end the match, you know which direction he's coming from and can avoid him.

I'd argue that those 4 points are better built into concealment or increased survivability, since it's a pretty rare instance where a BB is forced to solo hunt down a DD, whereas concealment and/or survivability are universally useful.

[SPTR]
Members
26,653 posts
12,948 battles

I used RDF on some of my french cruisers, mainly because I operate on the flank or chasing DDs down when Im not kiting or sitting at the back spamming HE, its usefulness increases when in ranked battles or clan battles which is pretty good since your communicating with clan or to counter the more freed up spaced for sneaky enemy dds to move around.

Edited by Rolkatsuki

[ARGSY]
Members
11,942 posts
7,585 battles
11 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I'd argue that those 4 points are better built into concealment or increased survivability

I may get a chance to test this assertion. If I can get a clan battle in, or if we get a general free re-spec for Christmas, I'm probably going to shift the last four points on my 19-pointer from Vigilance and Preventative Maintenance to RDF. He goes in cruisers and destroyers a lot, and giving him RDF has increased value now that I have Cossack, but he's also my go-to premium battleship captain. 

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

I use RPF on most my DDs, its a great skill to hunt or avoid enemy DDs. On cruisers and BBs is pretty meh, and i rather take other skils. But for CW can be usefull skill on some crusiers. 

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,706 posts
10,041 battles
7 hours ago, Renuz said:

I found RDF almost useless in random battles. It's kinda helpful in clan battles, but not 4 pts helpful.

What do ya'll think ??

Depends on what ships your driving. If its a radar cruiser RDF allows/helps you triangulate the ship your trying to radar. 

If your driving a  BB againsta stealthier opponent , RDF is a skill that informs you when/how to:

1]  angle against 

2] sail away

3] flank

4] ambush 

As you can see, RDF is a quantifiable skill. Its a skill that scales with your skill and drastically empowers you when you need/have to be aggressive; especially late game.

Do i think you should appose your clan leader? Up to you, but RDF has considerable uses outside of CW and will keep you from being caught off guard late game in any game mode, any tier.

I hope that helps.