You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Now i know why people hate CVs

127 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
Members
1,498 posts
3,473 battles

Not even 1 min into match, I'm sailing out of base in a Kongo. I see two torp squads coming (i get singled out). I sail into their flight path, but he just turns other way. My slow a$$ can't keep up. He double strikes me and I'm dead. Less than 1 minute in game and i wasnt even out of base circle yet. Now i know why people hate them so much. 

I hardly get pissed off, but man that made my blood pressure raise some. 

Edited by Legio_X_
  • Cool 17
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5
  • Angry 1

Members
2,976 posts
1,448 battles

But players can keep thinking unlimited, 4-5 strikes per squadron is a good idea...

The CV rework will be a joke that does more to hurt the game then help it.

• Cool 10

[HINON]
Members
11,237 posts
11 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

But players can keep thinking unlimited, 4-5 strikes per squadron is a good idea...

At T5? Nope.

[RLGN]
Members
11,277 posts
20,288 battles
15 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Not even 1 min into match, I'm sailing out of base in a Kongo. I see two torp squads coming (i get singled out). I sail into their flight path, but he just turns other way. My slow a$$ can't keep up. He double strikes me and I'm dead. Less than 1 minute in game and i wasnt even out of base circle yet. Now i know why people hate them so much. 

I hardly get pissed off, but man that made my blood pressure raise some. 

Many players over the last 2-3 years called out the OP nature of what sounds like an IJN carrier’s ability to use two torpedo squads; as well as the broken nature of point-blank manual attack murder drops.

They were ignored; and ‘solutions’ offered over the same period only made things worse.

Such a track record is a source of distrust. To say there are players watching the rework with jaded eyes is to understate, at the very least.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester
6,008 posts
2,905 battles

That's why you stick with the fleet and be ready to adjust your course and speed at a moment's notice. As Jingles once put it, "CVs are not overpowered, your brain is underpowered". Also, the Kongo can push 32 knots. I would hardly call your *ss "slow".

• Cool 5

[-WTP-]
Members
1,498 posts
3,473 battles
9 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

That's why you stick with the fleet and be ready to adjust your course and speed at a moment's notice. As Jingles once put it, "CVs are not overpowered, your brain is underpowered". Also, the Kongo can push 32 knots. I would hardly call your *ss "slow".

Can't stick with fleet when game spawns me on far right of team with just 1 dd and 1 CA covering. Most of the team spawned on the left side. Again, i had no time to do anything. 

Again i "turned" into the torp squad like all good bb's do. But he just turned around and reversed to other side. I cannot magically turn to the right, when I'm already turning to the left. That takes time. I'm not a DD

Edited by Legio_X_
  • Cool 8

[INTEL]
Members
10,657 posts
30,028 battles
8 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Haha. it's always hilarious to read this advice to "stick with the fleet", as if that were possible in a slow BB or a DD that should be capping or a BB just moving out of spawn behind the cruisers.... or late in the game where there is no fleet to stick with... or as if the CVs can't, at T5, simply ignore the AA and kill whatever they please. 

CVs need their own mode so people who want to be XP pinatas can do so and the rest of us can play the game.

• Cool 11
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester
6,008 posts
2,905 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

Can't stick with fleet when game spawns me on far right of team with just 1 dd and 1 CA covering. Most of the team spawned on the left side. Again, i had no time to do anything. 

That's when you put on your dancing shoes, turn on the torpedobeats, and dodge torpedoes like a champ until either they run out of planes, you can get within the AA range of your teammates, or they give up trying to kill you.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,918 posts
12,246 battles

lIXBT8T.png

wQfrI3v.png

My latest game had any chance of a win ruined by a single selfish carrier player, who after 537 battles with a 36% WR (I'd say you could probably achieve about the same in an AFK normal ship) presses on regardless in despite ruining dozens of his fellow players games.

All my favorite things -

• Inevitable, non-salvageable loss from the beginning thanks to the presence of one, over-impactful ship
  • Carrier's mistakes punish his team, not himself - even with a 36% WR he gets to live 75% of the time and at least enjoy the game
  • Cross drops
  • Permanent spotting (yay, also 9 bomb hits)
  • Feeling of utter helplessness with no way of retaliation - a paltry 3 plane kills in response, zero chance of actively counter-attacking the carrier
  • Just balls

I don't think the carrier rework will improve things, and my greatest fear is that it will remain an awful game experience with boosted carrier numbers.

Edited by mofton
  • Cool 8
  • Boring 2

Alpha Tester
6,008 posts
2,905 battles
3 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Haha. it's always hilarious to read this advice to "stick with the fleet", as if that were possible in a slow BB or a DD that should be capping or a BB just moving out of spawn behind the cruisers.... or late in the game where there is no fleet to stick with... or as if the CVs can't, at T5, simply ignore the AA and kill whatever they please. 

The Kongo is far from slow. Like I said, it can push 32 knots. You don't get that kind of speed from most other BB lines until at least tier 7. If you're in a DD and planes are nearby, then you pop your smoke and hide until they lose interest. If you don't have your smoke up, then turn off your AA and get ready to dodge torps and bombs until they give up. Also, if I'm worried about CVs at tier 5, I crack out my Texas with my NC's 19 point captain in her. Any plane within 5.1 km of me will get shredded.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-WTP-]
Members
1,498 posts
3,473 battles
2 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

That's when you put on your dancing shoes, turn on the torpedobeats, and dodge torpedoes like a champ until either they run out of planes, you can get within the AA range of your teammates, or they give up trying to kill you.

Please enlighten me on how to dodge double torp strikes from extreme close range in a BB?

• Cool 4

[-WTP-]
Members
1,498 posts
3,473 battles
1 minute ago, 1Sherman said:

The Kongo is far from slow. Like I said, it can push 32 knots. You don't get that kind of speed from most other BB lines until at least tier 7. Also, if I'm worried about CVs at tier 5, I crack out my Texas with my NC's 19 point captain in her. Any plane within 5.1 km of me will get shredded.

"slow" as in, slow to turn. Not slow in speed. 

• Cool 2

[-D-S-]
Members
424 posts
9,941 battles
15 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

...As Jingles once put it, "CVs are not overpowered, your brain is underpowered"...

Jingles is possibly the worst CC in WoWs.  He's just terrible. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Alpha Tester
6,008 posts
2,905 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Please enlighten me on how to dodge double torp strikes from extreme close range in a BB?

Pre-emptively. Predict where the planes will go, slow down the ship to tighten the turning radius, speed back up when the next attack compensates. Keep them guessing, keep them reacting to your moves. If you do take any torpedoes, make sure that they hit you on the torpedo belt so that the damage and flooding chance are minimized.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-WTP-]
Members
1,498 posts
3,473 battles

Pre-emptively. Predict where the planes will go, slow down the ship to tighten the turning radius, speed back up when the next attack compensates. Keep them guessing, keep them reacting to your moves.

As i stated. I turned into the strike where he was going. He saw what i was doing, backed out and went on other side. I was already committed to turn so i could not dodge other side of ship, hence double strike and I'm dead. He obviously knew what he was doing and probably sealclubbing lower tiers. 

It's not like i potato'ed sailed in a straight line and just asked for it. I attempted to evade and with [edited] AA his planes just laughed at me all the way to a free kill. 

Edited by Legio_X_
  • Cool 3

Alpha Tester
6,008 posts
2,905 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

As i stated. I turned into the strike where he was going. He saw what i was doing, backed out and went on other side. I was already committed to turn so i could not dodge other side of ship, hence double strike and I'm dead. He obviously knew what he was doing and probably sealclubbing lower tiers. 

You didn't slow down when you turned, did you?

[RKLES]
Members
9,614 posts
11,495 battles
On 11/28/2018 at 9:53 PM, KnightFandragon said:

Yeah I am waiting to see the finished product in the rework, but at this point definately learning towards selling off my CVs since they will either be far weaker and useless or so OP the entire enemy team will chat Ban with all their reports out of spite for using something more OP than original CVs. It’s one thing if you killed some of them with a DD, CA, BB, or maybe even a Sub  since they would feel they had adequate chances to shoot at you or kill you. Carriers onnthe other hand  have often been something many players hold in contempt since they can hurt you, but you can’t hurt the CV if it’s at farthest point of the map from you.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[-WTP-]
Members
1,498 posts
3,473 battles

You didn't slow down when you turned, did you?

yes i slowed down. A BB will not out maneuver planes especially against a CV player knowing what he is doing. 

• Cool 4

Alpha Tester
6,008 posts
2,905 battles
3 minutes ago, driedjello said:

Jingles is possibly the worst CC in WoWs.  He's just terrible. 

Aside from one quote that you have a differing opinion on, what's your proof? Also, I'm fairly certain you'd hear similar things from iChase.

[RKLES]
Members
9,614 posts
11,495 battles
4 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

It's not like i potato'ed sailed in a straight line and just asked for it. I attempted to evade and with [edited] AA his planes just laughed at me all the way to a free kill. 

What AA upgrades did you have and were you using the top hull on Kongo?

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[-WTP-]
Members
1,498 posts
3,473 battles
Just now, 1Sherman said:

Aside from one quote that you have a differing opinion on, what's your proof? Also, I'm fairly certain you'd hear similar things from iChase.

I listen to Flamu. He might be rough around the edges sometimes, but he seems far more "informative" on subjects and how to play then all the others. His IFHE video really broke it down for me. 

Alpha Tester
6,008 posts
2,905 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

yes i slowed down. A BB will not out maneuver planes especially against a CV player knowing what he is doing. 

I've out-maneuvered planes in a North Carolina before, a ship with a truly awful turning radius and AA guns that get destroyed very easily. If I can do that, then you can outmaneuver planes in a Kongo.

[-WTP-]
Members
1,498 posts
3,473 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

What AA upgrades did you have and were you using the top hull on Kongo?

Fully upgraded. 

I'm done venting. Have a nice night!

[RKLES]
Members
9,614 posts
11,495 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

Fully upgraded. 

I'm done venting. Have a nice night!

Do you have Basic Fire Training and Advanced Fire Training Captain Skills?

Alpha Tester
6,008 posts
2,905 battles
1 minute ago, Legio_X_ said:

I listen to Flamu. He might be rough around the edges sometimes, but he seems far more "informative" on subjects and how to play then all the others. His IFHE video really broke it down for me. 

I like Flamu's thoughts on how BBs should be (as shown here), but I don't take his as the word of God.

• Cool 1