You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Firestartergold1

Most luxurious warship you have been on

72 comments in this topic

Members
57 posts
94 battles

To quickly clarify, said ships can be retired ships and do not have to specifically be active duty. For example, my mom once got to go on the U.S.S. Ranger and she said it was really nice. But yeah, it can be ANY ship so long as it belongs to a country's navy.

Alpha Tester
5,357 posts
2,572 battles

Warships are not meant for luxury. They are steel-plated death machines that are designed to bring their opponents to a literal explosive end.

That being said, I have heard that the living conditions on American nuclear supercarriers (and even their cruise missile submarines) are rather comfy.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,662 posts
7,914 battles

USS FIRSTSHIP, every enlisted berth had their own small flatscreen TV in their rack, with satellite service.

Officers... well, we kind of got screwed on that deal.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,846 posts
4,814 battles

Well the only warship I've set foot on is HMS Belfast, so she wins the most 'luxurious' warship I've been on by default lol.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
233 posts
5,684 battles

spent night in bunk bed on USS Hornet. It was not designed for 6'6" tall people, but the deck was wide open with lots of space.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
275 posts
3,770 battles

i toured an russian sub retired but it was really bad. I have spent may years in bush camps all better than living on that sub

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
712 posts

USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL DDG 81. The Chiefs mess was renovated by a british pub - although no alcohol offically onboard.  

The new LPD San Antonio class was nice also with the sit-up rack design.

Of course Iowa is the only US Warship with a bathtub - a I guess a little luxurious.

I'll bet the Vanguard was something when it was used as a royal yacht for a while!

[O_O]
Members
849 posts
6,707 battles

was on board the USS Nimitz (including JFK and Enterprise), USS Missouri, USS Honolulu, and USS Iwo Jima ....some of the coolest ship i been aboard.  ^_^ 

[PSP]
Members
6,683 posts
9,790 battles

A friend of my mother's has a grandson who was recently assigned as an enlisted man to one of the largest carriers. She was beside herself that her grandbaby was going to "war." He's probably ten times safer on that carrier than he would be at home.

[STW-M]
Members
2,342 posts
6,237 battles

I've been to USS Iowa, which had a presidential suite complete with a bathtub for FDR.

12 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:

spent night in bunk bed on USS Hornet. It was not designed for 6'6" tall people, but the deck was wide open with lots of space.

Might I ask how long ago was it? I actually worked on the USS Hornet overnight tour during the first half of this year.

Members
2,350 posts
1,062 battles
33 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Well the only warship I've set foot on is HMS Belfast, so she wins the most 'luxurious' warship I've been on by default lol.

Missouri makes my most luxurious by the same standard.

[RLGN]
Members
8,689 posts
17,952 battles

Presuming I myself did not need to have seen active duty...

USS Olympic; wood trimmed splendor in all its glory.

IJN Mikasa; same reason.

[CSALT]
Members
264 posts

The least luxurious was a greek LST I rode for a week in the mid 80s.

I think the HMS Cardiff was the best ride I had.  The Mess was spectacular and I was truly sorry to leave the ship and go back to riding with the USN.

I enjoyed my time on Italian, Spanish, Bulgarian, Australian, New Zealand, Thai, and Japanese ships, but the Cardiff was the cat's pajamas.

PS- I did tour the HMY Britannia in Edinburgh as a civilian.  I don't know if that counts since it isn't inactive service.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner

[NAV]
Members
405 posts
7,957 battles

Have you seen the officers' dining sets on USS Texas?  They are awe-inspiringly pretty and impractical.   It's awesome

Spoiler

Related image

Image result for uss texas bb-35 silver

Edited by LegoGenius16

Members
4,679 posts
6,848 battles

Most un-luxurious boat I have ever been on was the German U-505 captured in WWII and is in Chicago. I was beat up after touring it it was so cramped with all kinds of stuff to bang into. Hurt my head, hit a pipe, hurt my arm, banged into a control wheel, etc.  If you have never been in a WWII German U-Boat you have no idea how cramped they were and how much stuff there is to hit with your bod.  Movies just cannot really depict that...you have to go on one.  I cannot imagine spending weeks at sea in one of them.  Also been on the USS Yorktown which is in Charleston.  Huge and just a WWII era carrier.  Nice and roomy. 

Edited by dmckay

[REVY]
Members
6,106 posts
5,104 battles

The USS Massachusetts museum had a cafeteria in it that served sloppy joes.  I was also able to sit in the chair on the bridge so I guess that was the height of luxury for me.

The USS Iowa museum had none of that.

4Tr0GY8.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[PVE]
Members
233 posts
5,684 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Might I ask how long ago was it? I actually worked on the USS Hornet overnight tour during the first half of this year.

Probably about 6-8 years ago. One of these days I need to go again without a pack of cubscouts ;)

[REALY]
Members
130 posts
1,670 battles

I was in Air Cadets (111 (Pegasus)) during USS Ranger's visit to Vancouver, BC. My whole squadron got to tour her while she was moored in Coal Harbour. Still remember riding up the aircraft elevator, it was so big that my acrophobia didn't even trigger, though going up the gangplank made me quite anxious. Still, a memorable experience.

[WOLF6]
Members
686 posts
3,951 battles

There was a time my ship was assigned to NATO’s Standing Naval Forces Atlantic force.   Basically a frigate squadron composed of Canadian, British, Dutch, Spanish, Norwegian, German, Polish, and US ships.

we sailed from port to port all over the North Sea, Baltic Sea, Celtic sea, Mediterranean, Getting underway was just an excuse to get to the next port.  along the way, we would run exercises, and drills etc.     

we would hold briefings to prepare for the upcoming exercises.   Well no one ever wanted to do the briefings aboard a US warship,  briefings were always held on other nations warships, because after the briefings, we could retire to the wardroom bar with wood paneling really nice appointments and most importantly partake in alcoholic libations.   Not so on the US frigate that I called my home away from home.  It had its creature comforts, but nothing compared to what was on other nations warships.  On The helicopter ride from the briefing back to our ship we were nursing some pretty good warm buzzes.

the Spanish Navarra was especially nice .  The Canadians had an interesting concoction that I really liked, we nicked named it moose milk.  The Dutch were especially friendly and didn’t seem to particular care about separation of the sexes.

So any US warship luxurious? More like utilitarian.

[NAV]
Members
405 posts
7,957 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

The USS Massachusetts museum had a cafeteria in it that served sloppy joes.  I was also able to sit in the chair on the bridge so I guess that was the height of luxury for me.

The USS Iowa museum had none of that.

4Tr0GY8.jpg

Is that the Iowa?  I seem to remember land with a bunch of buildings on it directly to the ship's right, not open water.

[RKLES]
Members
7,543 posts
9,589 battles
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

Most un-luxurious boat I have ever been on was the German U-505 captured in WWII and is in Chicago. I was beat up after touring it it was so cramped with all kinds of stuff to bang into. Hurt my head, hit a pipe, hurt my arm, banged into a control wheel, etc.  If you have never been in a WWII German U-Boat you have no idea how cramped they were and how much stuff there is to hit with your bod.  Movies just cannot really depict that...you have to go on one.  I cannot imagine spending weeks at sea in one of them.  Also been on the USS Yorktown which is in Charleston.  Huge and just a WWII era carrier.  Nice and roomy. 

How tall are you? Lol I don’t usually have a problem in subs even if I do have to duck a little one in a while touring them. Usually when you have to go through the bulkhead hatches is the typical expected places requiring one to watch their head lol.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[REVY]
Members
6,106 posts
5,104 battles
15 minutes ago, LegoGenius16 said:

Is that the Iowa?  I seem to remember land with a bunch of buildings on it directly to the ship's right, not open water.

No that's the Massachusetts.

This is a photo I took of the view from the bridge of the Massachusetts.

i1W4yLJ.jpg

And this is a photo I took of the view from the bridge on the Iowa.  Unfortunately, there was snot on the window.

qL91yvo.jpg

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 1