Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

The 'Venice of the Netherlands', Giethoorn village

15 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles

Giethoorn is a small village in the east of the Netherlands, in Overijssel province, numbering a population of 2620. It's called the 'Venice of the Netherlands' due to the village center having basically no roads whatsoever; only canals.

KdPk1AG.jpg

Some concessions have been made for bicycle travel, the most popular mode of transportation in the Netherlands, with 1.3 bicycles per capita.

yMja7BU.jpg

But most of the travel in Giethoorn is done by boat and canoe. At least, during summer ...

8WDopKx.jpg

Not so much during winter.

Pictured: several of the 150+ bridges in Giethoorn.

znqWE5G.jpg

As you can imagine, Giethoorn is ridiculously expensive to live. Housing prices are through the roof.

j24PCs6.jpg

It's also incredibly popular as a holiday destination for the Chinese, of all people. An estimated 150k ~ 200k Chinese tourists visit Giethoorn a year.

jteejOA.jpg

lUx309z.jpg

I wish I could afford to live there.

Py1MOVv.jpg

Botes!

R9mkoFI.jpg

They even have a house that kinda looks like a basset hound:

Xh8RkZ9.jpg

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,472 posts
4,940 battles

I have to question the common sense of the Dutch at times. Walking on a frozen canal, knowing how dirty the water below can get is foolishly brave of them.

Hopefully the water is a bit cleaner than in Zuid-Holland where I was :crab:.

[SOUP]
Privateers, Supertester, Modder
8,426 posts

Please rise for the national anthem

Alpha Tester
5,990 posts
2,882 battles
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I have to question the common sense of the Dutch at times. Walking on a frozen canal, knowing how dirty the water below can get is foolishly brave of them.

Hopefully the water is a bit cleaner than in Zuid-Holland where I was :crab:.

They aren't walking on it, they're skating. In fact, one of the more famous sporting events in the Netherlands has traditionally been held on the canals in the winter. I'm sure @Lert is familiar with the Eleven Cities Tour.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles
6 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

I'm sure @Lert is familiar with the Eleven Cities Tour.

Elfstedentocht. It's been a while ... Last one was 1997, IIRC Henk Angenent won that one. I remember watching it live on TV. It was quite the happening.

Shame the climate has basically become too mild to run it. We came close in 2012, but it was called off at the last moment due to 'safety issues' - the ice hadn't reached the 150mm thickness requirement over enough of the course.

[RLGN]
Members
10,968 posts
20,042 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Shame the climate has basically become too mild to run it. We came close in 2012, but it was called off at the last moment due to 'safety issues' - the ice hadn't reached the 150mm thickness requirement over enough of the course.

As opposed to say; the Jutland plain; back in the day... (Recently watched a Time Team special about that... Apparently the rolling hills and lakes between the eventually to be Holland and UK was quite the happening place.)

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

As opposed to say; the Jutland plain; back in the day... (Recently watched a Time Team special about that... Apparently the rolling hills and lakes between the eventually to be Holland and UK was quite the happening place.)

.... Got link?

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

When I get home.

PM will do nicely. Thank you. Time Team is a great show and that episode sound fascinating.

[PVE]
Members
338 posts
7,430 battles

Zuiderpad 98355 CB Giethoorn

€ 625.000 k.k.

That's not too bad, but are there any employment centers nearby? (I'm not quite ready to retire)

[HINON]
Supertester
21,227 posts
14,826 battles
3 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:

That's not too bad, but are there any employment centers nearby? (I'm not quite ready to retire)

Commutes in the NL are never that long, especially if you're used to US distances. Things is though, you can't get a car into the old center of Giethoorn, so part of your commute would have to be either on foot, by boat or on a twowheeler, and I'm not sure motorcycles are allowed.

Plus, that listed price? Add about 10% to that for overhead and realtor costs for the transaction alone.

[PVE]
Members
338 posts
7,430 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Commutes in the NL are never that long, especially if you're used to US distances. Things is though, you can't get a car into the old center of Giethoorn, so part of your commute would have to be either on foot, by boat or on a twowheeler, and I'm not sure motorcycles are allowed.

Plus, that listed price? Add about 10% to that for overhead and realtor costs for the transaction alone.

image.png.d36ac7b443c79608f124c52216881c39.png

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,968 posts
20,042 battles
47 minutes ago, Lert said:

PM will do nicely. Thank you. Time Team is a great show and that episode sound fascinating.

Well, did a bit of searching during break; and iirc, it’s actually an episode about a tsunami that hit the future UK in the Stone Age; approximately at the end of the last Ice Age.

Pesky glaciers holding all that water and all that. During the episode they talk about Doggerland, (a name relatively recently coined,) which was what I called the Jutland Plain earlier.

So, more the Dogger Bank area than Jutland?

Sign in to follow this