You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

black tirpitz or black mass B?

23 comments in this topic

Members
828 posts
6,367 battles

my  STD tests came out negative, so I am buying a ship in celebration. 

should i get the black tirpitz or black Mass B? I have 19 point captains for both montana and GK... Or should I just buy 6 thanksgiving crates and try my luck?!

Edited by _Dracarys
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[A-D-F]
Members
1,558 posts

Tirpitz, black mass just summons up images of skyclad rituals and quite frankly, knowing the average age, gender, and girth, of the game's player base, that is too horrific a concept to unleash upon the world.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,976 posts
14,623 battles

In the current meta I'd say Black Mass. Tirpitz is still the better brawler, but that's not what the meta rewards, and Mass' 16" rifles just do more work at medium ranges and out.

Members
2,117 posts
9,978 battles

I am contemplating picking up the Tirp B.

But I know the Mass is a good ship for randoms/co-op. 

edit: as others have said the Mass is made to be a secondary ship. You need a dedicated capt. The Montana cpt may not slot into the mass as easily. If you are not going to play the Mass as a secondary shpi, I wouldnt get it. 

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,443 posts
11,346 battles
9 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Tirpitz, black mass just summons up images of skyclad rituals and quite frankly, knowing the average age, gender, and girth, of the game's player base, that is too horrific a concept to unleash upon the world.

black-mass.jpg

My current financial situation puts them out of reach and even the boxes in the store are currently beyond reach so no black ships for me unless the free ones come through.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,397 posts
6,335 battles

BMass needs to have a fully dedicated secondary build captain to get the most enjoyment out of it, just plopping a 19pt Montana captain that I assume would not have skills set up for secondary would not be the most ideal for a fun ship.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,443 posts
11,346 battles
2 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

BMass needs to have a fully dedicated secondary build captain to get the most enjoyment out of it, just plopping a 19pt Montana captain that I assume would not have skills set up for secondary would not be the most ideal for a fun ship.

That was my experience with it while being a turkey, you need a secondary build captain to get the most out of it.

[DRACS]
Members
4,692 posts
4 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Actually, using the secondary upgrade and the BFT/AFT combo works really well for both secondaries and AA. Mass' secondaries are 40% more accurate than normal and I found myself landing quite a few sec hits despite not having manual secs.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,442 posts
18,784 battles
31 minutes ago, _Dracarys said:

should i get the black tirpitz or black Mass B? I have 19 point captains for both montana and GK...

ztRE211.gif

Both are very good ships.  Secondaries are excellent on both.  Mass I think is the better BB overall but Tirpitz has some very strong things going for her.

Mass

+ 127mm secondaries that don't need IFHE to do basic work, 105mm secondaries will not pen many without help

+ 406mm guns that Overmatch many ships and every Cruiser you run into.  Tier VIII+ US & German CAs can face tank 380mm AP, not your 406mm AP.

+ High TDS

+ Excellent maneuverability combined with decent speed.  South Dakota-class combine the 27kts of North Carolina with the excellent handling of the USN Standard BBs.  Very few BBs approach this blend of speed, maneuverability.

+ South Dakota-class BBs are the shortest hull BBs in High Tier.  You're a smaller target, less of a hull to nail.  Couple the previous point and the short hull of the SoDaks, she torpedo beats very well.  And any torps that hit the center hull area?  Their damage gets reduced big time by the excellent TDS.

- Floaty shells.

- Very mediocre gun range.

- Bad accuracy for a High Tier USN BB, easily the worst out of all of them.

- Waterline Citadel but if you get caught, you can still get rekt with massive Penetration damage.

Tirpitz

+ German Turtlebacks.  Instead of getting Citadel damage against you, you'll only eat Penetrations or even Overpens as the protection scheme saves you from most of the worst direct shell damage.

+ German Secondaries.

+ Fast reloading main battery.

+ Torpedoes, Tirpitz's trump card.  The thing that keeps other BBs honest from thinking about getting close.

+ 50mm deck means a lot of HE that fall to these sections will be Non-Pens.

+ Faster than the Tier VIII USN BBs.  30.5kts vs 27kts.

- 380mm guns can be face tanked by High Tier USN & German CAs.

- German BB gun dispersion.

- Susceptible to AP bombs!

Fact.  I can play many BBs in the upper tiers that will kite 27kt USN BBs.  Massachusetts does not have the speed to impose her will on same and higher tier BBs, except against lower tier BBs.  27kts is very respectable for a BB, better than 21kts of Colorado and prior USN Standard BBs.  But when imposing your will on someone else, you need speed to do so when your competition starts becoming faster than you.

16 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

This is also an issue.  Massachusetts is unique in the entirety of USN BBs in this game because she's the only one that actually has the secondaries to merit a Secondaries Build.  Not even Montana is a good candidate.  Mass needs a dedicated captain.  Otherwise Alabama is a better choice as she readily takes the typical USN BB Builds out there.

Tirpitz?  Her build mirrors practically every German BB Build out there.  The OP can drop in his GK captain and BAM!  Throw the upgrades on and you're set!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Members
3,862 posts
1 hour ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

I am contemplating picking up the Tirp B.

But I know the Mass is a good ship for randoms/co-op. 

edit: as others have said the Mass is made to be a secondary ship. You need a dedicated capt. The Montana cpt may not slot into the mass as easily. If you are not going to play the Mass as a secondary shpi, I wouldnt get it. 

Agreed.

I put my dedicated captain aside, and used my 19 point Nor-Cal captain on mine the other day.  It just felt... off.   NC's is a survivability build, with EM and AFT thrown in for good measure.   The main battery will be horrifyingly frustrating if you need to rely on it for the lion's share of damage dealing.  We're talking German BB levels of spray and pray here, unless you're within secondary range.- and even then...

I was solo fighting a Monarch a couple of days ago.  He spent much of the fight stuck on a rock or slowly backing off of it.   EVERY salvo I shot at him just sprayed everywhere- 4,500 MAX damage from any one as shots aimed at the waterline were hitting the superstructure, smokestack, or air.

Meanwhile, my secondaries were going at him like hyperactive squirrels- he essentially had a heavily armored Atlanta pounding the snot out of him non stop for 2-3 minutes, lol.   They honestly did FAR more damage to that Monarch than I did- and killed it, besides!   It was both hillarious and extremely frustrating at the same time.

Next game, I nuked a Minotaur with the mains, so go figure.   (he was within secondary range, but I wanted him DEAD before he could bring his torp tubes around!)

It's a great, and really fun ship to play- but don't buy it expecting it to be just another USN BB- it is NOT.    Imo, it's more like a tier 8 Alsace (post nerf) with bigger secondary guns.   Which might, come to think of it, explain why I like it so much.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,397 posts
6,335 battles
2 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Actually, using the secondary upgrade and the BFT/AFT combo works really well for both secondaries and AA. Mass' secondaries are 40% more accurate than normal and I found myself landing quite a few sec hits despite not having manual secs.

Well you can make the range just about as far as it could go, however building upon it just makes the Mass much more fun and make it able to land even more hits on farther ranges.

[-SF-]
Members
285 posts
3,798 battles

I was contemplating buying the BMass after playing her alot in during the Turkey event and falling very much in love with her. Thankfully however, I got her in my first, free BF container. 

[FML]
Members
2,624 posts
12,355 battles
2 hours ago, Ashy_GB said:

I was contemplating buying the BMass after playing her alot in during the Turkey event and falling very much in love with her. Thankfully however, I got her in my first, free BF container. 

100% jealous. 

So far, from the 6? free containers that have been available, all I've got were 2x camos and one 5k free XP. 

REally want that ship...

[-SF-]
Members
285 posts
3,798 battles
26 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

100% jealous. 

So far, from the 6? free containers that have been available, all I've got were 2x camos and one 5k free XP. 

REally want that ship...

The MassB was the only ship in that line up I actually wanted, I was contemplating buying it but I don't have alot of disposable income. I guess WG are making up for all the super containers I've had that have only ever contained signals... But in all seriousness, I was damn lucky. 

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
208 posts
6,171 battles
13 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

This...with Manual Secondary's and a dedicated build captain as others have said.   I do not remember the last time I brawled with a Tirp in my Mass, Co-Op or Random and lost the duel.   Biggest problem I have is biting off more than I can chew....and even if I go down, it usually was with enough damage to swing a game.  However, when you get up tiered to T9 / TX, you will get a lot of holes blown through you. 

Edited by Kraayt

Members
528 posts

I think the easy choice is the Mass, but the Tirp isn't too shabby either. I was surprised at how much I liked the black Tirp that  I pulled out of a Black Friday Container.  Folks will forget you have those torpedoes until it's too late. Just ask the Yammy I wrecked with a close quarters broadside strike. :-) 

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
14 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

should i get the black tirpitz or black Mass B? I have 19 point captains for both montana and GK... Or should I just buy 6 thanksgiving crates and try my luck?!

Honestly I would not recommend either. The problem with the black ships and T-8 in general is you will spend 90% of your games as the one or two T-8's in T-10 matches. These ships are just not competitive at T-10 were even cruisers can shoot further than you can. Do not waste your money like I did.

• Boring 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,330 posts
3,442 battles

Black Tirpitz is the sexiest ship in the game, those two red Iron Crosses on the deck?  Sexy!

[DIEBL]
Members
556 posts
6,374 battles

Tirpitz B is beautiful and the red german cross (?) on the deck fore and aft are the perfect detail.  It’s also one of my favoritw ships, now just need both Tirpitz and Tirpitz B in my top 3 ships.

Members
720 posts
3,906 battles

Mass cant be AP bombed into oblivion, has good stock AA, a very good torp belt, and has no fear of tier 10 cruisers. Those aspects are worth quite a bit.

That said Mass also requires a specialized captain to make use of its secondaries. You also need IFHE so that they do actual damage. The gun range is also under 19km which can be annoying. These are its downfalls.

Tirp is a known quantity, has similar secondary capability without requiring IFHE, has a fast reload, excellent gun range, very rarely gets citadel damage, and torps for yolo.

Im not a big fan of German boats but in my opinion Tirp has more things going for it out of the box.

In the end it really comes down to if you have a captain to spare that's pretty much ONLY good on Massachusetts. If you're just going to slap on a AA or survival spec captain then you may as well just get Alabama. If you can get over that Captain hurdle then the pros for MA may outweigh the cons.

Edited by ksix