You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Morpheous

Destroyer Torpedo hits by percentage by tier

10 comments in this topic

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,553 posts
11,112 battles

Hello there,

Another post about torpedo ratios and hit percentage got me curious on my game play with DDs and ratio of hits per tier.  Doing this pretty quickly and rounded percents to the single digit up or down per DD.  I understand your going to fire more torpedoes out of some DD than others, so take it all with a grain of salt.  Also included every DD including changes to different tiers etc.  If no torpedoes fired or no hits didn't count it (one early tier DD)  (Note only DDs I don't have are T8-10 British. Also I have probably half or better premium DDs, just got Cossack, no games played as of yet)

Tier 10 7%       High Ship 10% Yueng and Khab (yeah I am surprised too)  Low Ship Groz

Tier 9 6.28%    High Ship 9% Kagero Low ship Udaloi

Tier 8 7.38%    High Ship 8% Aki  Low ship Benson (surprised myself...guess concentrating on the anti DD w guns?)

Tier 7 6.5%      High Ship Ghad ja (no surprise)  Low ship Sims (again no surprise)

Tier 6 8%         High Ship Shinome Low ship Aigle

Tier 5 8.13%    High Ship Kami R (wow really? lol)  Low ship Acasta

Tier 4 11.75%  High Ship Sheng  Low Ship Izy

Tier 3 14.2 %   High Ship Vampire Low Ship Campbelltown (Ratios for this tier pretty close)

Tier 2 12.8%   High Ship Sampson Low Ship V-25

Some comments from a previous post that ratios should drop as you rise and tiers, and that is true, but ratios are pretty consistent after you see early radar ships in Tier 7 and of course a plethora of radar ships at higher levels.  Could be I learned some lessons early regarding radar?  But probably a more of a function of better DDs with longer range torps, over T7 DDs that barely can launch a torpedo without being spotted or in some cases you wish.

Overall Japanese DDs  and Pan Asian, after T5 tended to have higher ratio of hits, which I am sure is a function of stealth and/or torp range, and conversely British or Russian DDs having lower range torps or  lacking good concealment.  Of course lower tiers  you notice a much higher hit ratio, due to inexperience, no or little hydro, lack of secondaries, no radar (lol).  Some DDs at these tiers are still real challenges to play because there is no stealth torpedos, your spotted.

Any how it was a quick study and may be this will spur you on to look at your own stats.  I will do CAs and BBs for later for some fun...but back to work!! (real work)

I used https://na.wows-numbers.com

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
4,566 posts
15,432 battles
6 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Overall Japanese DDs  and Pan Asian, after T5 tended to have higher ratio of hits, which I am sure is a function of stealth and/or torp range, and conversely British or Russian DDs having lower range torps or  lacking good concealment.  Of course lower tiers  you notice a much higher hit ratio, due to inexperience, no or little hydro, lack of secondaries, no radar (lol).  Some DDs at these tiers are still real challenges to play because there is no stealth torpedos, your spotted.

I may disagree with this one. I would like to make a strong case for the American upper tier DDs as he torp kings. PA-DDs The ChunG MU maybe. Tier 5 and below yes the IJN DDs have the adv, after that, I got to give it to the Americans.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,553 posts
11,112 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I may disagree with this one. I would like to make a strong case for the American upper tier DDs as he torp kings. PA-DDs The ChunG MU maybe. Tier 5 and below yes the IJN DDs have the adv, after that, I got to give it to the Americans.

My Gearing is better than my Shimi...just not that detailed here...all this based on my experience...

[CVA16]
Members
3,550 posts
11,716 battles

Might also have to consider DDs prone to blind fire/area denial torps. These are always low percentage shots most often by DDs with relatively fast reloads or long ranges. This would certainly lower the % of hits.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Might also have to consider DDs prone to blind fire/area denial torps. These are always low percentage shots most often by DDs with relatively fast reloads or long ranges. This would certainly lower the % of hits.T

This.  A lot of very good destroyer players will fire off blind torps on a regular basis, the vast majority of which will never hit (Kuro calls them "make a wish" torpedoes).  Particularly in ships with a fast torpedo reload this is a very valid tactic, but one which will obviously produce a lower hit ratio.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:08 PM, Morpheous said:

Tier 10 7%       High Ship 10% Yueng and Khab (yeah I am surprised too)

Ships like Khabarovsk with short-range torpedoes are usually going to have a higher hit ratio, at least when played by people who understand torpedo ranges. :Smile_veryhappy:  Most of your torp usage is going to be ambushes around islands and/or YOLO charges, and in these scenarios the biggest limiter on how many of your torps "hit" is often how many hit before the target is sunk.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,553 posts
11,112 battles
2 hours ago, Harv72b said:

This.  A lot of very good destroyer players will fire off blind torps on a regular basis, the vast majority of which will never hit (Kuro calls them "make a wish" torpedoes).  Particularly in ships with a fast torpedo reload this is a very valid tactic, but one which will obviously produce a lower hit ratio.

Ships like Khabarovsk with short-range torpedoes are usually going to have a higher hit ratio, at least when played by people who understand torpedo ranges. :Smile_veryhappy:  Most of your torp usage is going to be ambushes around islands and/or YOLO charges, and in these scenarios the biggest limiter on how many of your torps "hit" is often how many hit before the target is sunk.

Good point!  Did this all in a hurry... and didn't dawn on me at the moment...but same for lower tier Russians, were percents were higher...

[WOLF3]
Members
20,943 posts
19,393 battles

I feel for the Tier VII DDs.

- Their tier is where Radar starts and will see as high as Tier IX ships with Radar.  Hell, there's a BB there with Radar...

- Contending with Tier VIII-IX DDs with immense firepower, better torpedoes, and of course, CSM1 Upgrade access.  I did not find it fun being in a Tier VII DD and getting easily outspotted and ambushed by an Akizuki or some other Tier VIII Destroyer.  How fun is it getting outspotted by an Akizuki that can easily gun you down?  How fun is it having a 6.8km something detection DD and dealing with stuff like Lightning with 5.5km detection?

- You don't have the more luxurious torpedo ranges across the board yet to deal with the Radar of Tier VII-IX.

The lower torpedo hit % going up the tiers is sensible.  The DD game gets much more dangerous the higher in tier you go.  You get some outstanding DDs that will pay off, but you f--k up, you're instantly dead.  It also helps that the DDs in lower tiers also see a lot more inexperienced players... The "Keep sailing straight Battleships" that every DD dreams of.  Hell, when you see those threads about some low tier BB player complaining about some "Destroyer coming out of nowhere at 2km away and torpedoed me!" shows all you need to know about how easy it is to torp those lowbies.

Then you got at the opposite end of the spectrum some people that with the right tools, can make GK torpedo beat like a champ.  Hydro does wonders.  I remember when the German BB Line came out, a friend of mine who was good in his Shima, repeatedly complained he couldn't hit this GK in one of our matches.  I told him that GK has Tier X German Hydro.  He was not amused.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BIER]
Members
218 posts
4,018 battles
21 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Might also have to consider DDs prone to blind fire/area denial torps. These are always low percentage shots most often by DDs with relatively fast reloads or long ranges. This would certainly lower the % of hits.

Yes, but you know why this is done? Because the probability of hitting actual aimed torps is REALLY bad, and the proliferation of radar and hydro makes getting close enough to actually make a good run suicidal.  That is, you can't ever depend on getting decent shots with the torps, so blindly throwing them out is the most you can hope for to contribute for much of the game, damage-wise.

That is, you're reduced to doing "area denial" torps because it's incredibly hard anymore to be an IJN DDs and have an impact.

Yes, I know the elite people can make it work quite well. That doesn't mean they're still not fundamentally broken.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,550 posts
11,716 battles
6 hours ago, LAnybody said:

Yes, but you know why this is done? Because the probability of hitting actual aimed torps is REALLY bad, and the proliferation of radar and hydro makes getting close enough to actually make a good run suicidal.  That is, you can't ever depend on getting decent shots with the torps, so blindly throwing them out is the most you can hope for to contribute for much of the game, damage-wise.

Somewhat at higher tiers but I do blind fires  in my Fujin all the time and it rarely sees radar. Its more taking a (slim) chance at a hit knowing my torps will be back up by the time I actually get someplace where I will need them. I am much less likely to try it in DDs with long reload time. With those I want to at least be sure there is a red ship in/heading to the area before I fire.

[BIER]
Members
218 posts
4,018 battles

Absolutely.

For IJN DDs, there's no real reason to hold torping at high levels. You reload fairly quickly, and it take a LONG time to reposition in a place for a potential torp run, so holding onto the salvo is silly. You very well may *never* get a high-probability chance to use your torps, so low-probability shots are your best way to have some actual damage.  Might as well put them in the water and hope that luck gets you something.

Which, of course, is stupid, but that's the meta that is forced on IJN players.