You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Warship Wednesday - The Commonwealth

46 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,340 posts
7,588 battles

HMAS_Hobart_off_Subic_Bay_1945.jpg

*pictured - HMAS Hobart operating near Subic Bay, Philippines on 8/1/1945*

Which of the Commonwealth warships do you proudly sail out to battle?

Haida, Perth, and Vampire all stand at the ready for captains to take them out on patrol.

While they have each have unique characteristics and strengths, they all proudly fly their respective flags to represent their country and to honor the Commonwealth of Nations.

Of the 3 Commonwealth ships, which one gets the green light to take to action stations? 

"Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." - James Cook, Royal Navy

#warshipwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,442 posts
11,341 battles

I only have the Vampire and not being much of a DD player her crew spends a lot of time in the harbor bars.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,225 posts
8,364 battles

I sail Perth, most often.

But, I do wish WG made it clear @Gneisenau013 (exceptional ping), that WOWS Commonwealth (3 nations) is not the CommonWealth of Nations (51 nations!) which includes countries such as India, Pakistan, South Africa and many more. Which is also a pity. Is it reasonable to hope that one day the WOWS définition of the Commonwealth be more inclusive?

• Cool 1

[WGA]
1,340 posts
7,588 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I only have the Vampire and not being much of a DD player her crew spends a lot of time in the harbor bars.

I've taken out Vampire a few times and she brought home some pretty good bacon for me!

Feels a bit guilty when I take her into battle though...

#anchorsaweigh

[PVE]
Members
15,156 posts
9,949 battles

Haida will be busy this Stage. I'm working in getting Perth's Cmdr up to 10 pts. I've picked up the Spotter plane, Hydro and smoke special upgrades for Perth. Vampire gets out when I'm not doing T5+ for some event.

It would be nice to break Haida off into a Canadian tree, ala the PA line.

T1 CL River class Frigate

T2 DD Patrician (The RCN used the Thornycraft M class which was roughly similar to the Medea class and chased some bank thieves who were trying to escape to the US)

T3 DD Niagara or St Clair (both Wickes class DDs) Niagara helped capture a U-Boat and St. Clair was part of the action (attacked by air) of the Hunt for Bismarck

T4 DD St Croix (Clemson class DD) sank U-Boat U-90

T5 DD  Acasta class variant

T6 DD G/H/I class variant

T7 DD Tribal variant

T7 premium DD Haida

T8 DD Tribal variant (Cossack variant)

T9 DD U/V class variant or Battle class variant

T10 DD Daring class variant

Other possible premium ships

T7 CL Uganda (Fiji class, but balanced to have RADAR as she was a RADAR picket as HMCS Uganda)

T5 CV Nabob (Bogue class, was in operations to sink the Tirpitz in Norway)

T10 CL Ontario (Minotaur class variant)

• Cool 1

[WGA]
1,340 posts
7,588 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

I sail Perth, most often.

But, I do wish WG made it clear @Gneisenau013 (exceptional ping), that WOWS Commonwealth (3 nations) is not the CommonWealth of Nations (51 nations!) which includes countries such as India, Pakistan, South Africa and many more. Which is also a pity. Is it reasonable to hope that one day the WOWS définition of the Commonwealth be more inclusive?

Yup! Don't forget about New Zealand and Jamaica! In fact, here's a ship I recently submitted to the ship requests for 2019:

HMNZS_Achilles_%28AWM_P03626-012%29.jpg

HMNZS Achilles started her service with the Royal Navy and was later transferred to the Indian Navy, so she proudly flew flags of 3 countries!

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,225 posts
8,364 battles
1 minute ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Yup! Don't forget about New Zealand and Jamaica! In fact, here's a ship I recently submitted to the ship requests for 2019:

HMNZS Achilles started her service with the Royal Navy and was later transferred to the Indian Navy, so she proudly flew flags of 3 countries!

#anchorsaweigh

Excellent news! Quality proposal too/

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,374 posts

You know my answer already, ol chum~

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,442 posts
11,341 battles

Speaking of Commonwealth ships where is the USS Houston to sail alongside the HMAS Perth?

• Cool 1

[WGA]
1,340 posts
7,588 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Speaking of Commonwealth ships where is the USS Houston to sail alongside the HMAS Perth?

My colleague has already floated this up to the brass for consideration!

• Cool 1

[LRM]
Members
2,867 posts
6,247 battles

I would also like to see an option to fly the national flags from the mast of the ships in addition to the option we have between the blue flag with the yellow C on it, and the UK Naval Jack. 

Also, I hope the Commonwealth gets its own line, as there isn't a point to playing the ships besides"fun".

One more thing: What happened to poland? It has enough for one 1 full dd line and that's it, but it's been forever since Blyzlawick has been out. Any news on her?

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
21,028 posts
21,109 battles

Personally, I've always felt that the Commonwealth nations should have been merged into the RN's overall tree.  This would make the Commonwealth premiums capable of training RN captains and visa versa.  I think that this would make for a nice marketing point for Commonwealth ships.

• Cool 3

[FML]
Members
2,623 posts
12,346 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

#anchorsaweigh

Good show.

It would also be good to have HMAS Canberra at some point - she went down with guns still firing and the Americans were so impressed/moved that they named the USS Canberra after her - the only USN ship named after a foreign capital city iirc.

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
826 posts
7,457 battles

I love taking the Perth out. IFHE beastie and with the moving smoke and unique spotter plane, the vessel can ruin any captains day. 

The torps are a bonus, the wider citadel though, ugh.

• Cool 1

Members
2,944 posts
3,742 battles
19 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Good show.

It would also be good to have HMAS Canberra at some point - she went down with guns still firing and the Americans were so impressed/moved that they named the USS Canberra after her - the only USN ship named after a foreign capital city iirc.

She was scuttled by US destroyers after accidentally being hit by friendly torpedoes... shortly after a US cruiser started shooting at her while she was being evacuated.

I don't think USS Canberra was named in her honor so much as "Oh crap, we just torp'ed and shot at a friendly ship, quick, lets rename one of ours so it doesn't look so bad".

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Beta Testers
47 posts
5,622 battles

I have all three. Perth is my most played ship. Took over from my Gremy a while ago. Vampire is my favourite but I am grinding the RN DD's so she dose not get out much.

If the subs and appropriate counter measures come there would be an argument to add in a late service HMAS Arunta. 

• Cool 1

[WGA]
1,340 posts
7,588 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Personally, I've always felt that the Commonwealth nations should have been merged into the RN's overall tree.  This would make the Commonwealth premiums capable of training RN captains and visa versa.  I think that this would make for a nice marketing point for Commonwealth ships.

Makes sense since RN crew in RL exchanged and went on to serve with the Commonwealth navies during both World War I and II.

Also, with the dual-nationality Ovechkin captain, it is a thing in game now! I will float this idea to the brass too!

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[WGA]
1,340 posts
7,588 battles
2 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

You know my answer already, ol chum~

You mean this one?

image.png

[SOUP]
Privateers, Modder
8,374 posts
Just now, Gneisenau013 said:

You mean this one?

Mmmmmmm, sweet maple syrup action~<3

wowsfeels_by_chobittsu_studios-dbpeb06.p

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
538 posts
11,056 battles

HMAS Perth is my favourite though I do like the Haida. Just waiting on the HMAS Canberra to appear...

If they put in the USS Houston it can only have the 2 forward turrets as it went into action with the Perth with the rear turret out of action...

• Cool 1

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles

The Haida is one of my new favorites. I like to play her aggressively.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,623 posts
12,346 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

You mean this one?

image.png

Hi. Any chance you could also ask when Haida will be available in the tech tree for doubloons?

I bought some gold in anticipation, but it’s been almost 6 months and no dice!!!

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1