Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DJC_499

Calculation of Torpedo Hit Rate

9 comments in this topic

[FOG]
Members
588 posts
6,254 battles

From time to time there are discussions as to poor hit ratios for torpedoes. I am wondering though if these statistics are distorted though by the fact that one can have a launch of, say, 4, torps, all which are exactly on target and all hit. However, it seems that if the targeted ship is sunk with the first impacting torpedo then the other three are regarded as misses. I realize, of course, that the importance of torping is to sink ships, but I also wonder if torpedo accuracy is misleading in that for the above case the hit rate would be 25% versus the "actual" 100% hit rate.

Edited by DJC_499

[WORX]
Members
4,562 posts
15,432 battles

Here let me help. If you play BB, you're going to have torp Devastating  strike on you from tier 4-6 (getting 1 hit to up to 2 or 3 hits possible per salvo).

From tier 7 and above, with ASWEQ hacks, better torp spotting, faster ships, higher torp reload on ships (1 min to 2 min and above), you be lucky if you can consistently hit 1 ship by chance in the time allowed. 

I think the avg is 10% torp hit. that can be a bit lower if you use torps from tier 7 and above.

I can only conclude that Torp DDs have a bigger role in lower tiers then in the high tiers.

[SALVO]
Members
21,352 posts
21,595 battles
1 hour ago, DJC_499 said:

From time to time there are discussions as to poor hit ratios for torpedoes. I am wondering though if these statistics are distorted though by the fact that one can have a launch of, say, 4, torps, all which are exactly on target and all hit. However, it seems that if the targeted ship is sunk with the first impacting torpedo then the other three are regarded as misses. I realize, of course, that the importance of torping is to sink ships, but I also wonder if torpedo accuracy is misleading in that for the above case the hit rate would be 25% versus the "actual" 100% hit rate.

Another situation is this.  You fire torps at a target and get only one torp hit out of 4 or 8 or 10 torps, perhaps because the enemy avoided all but one.  I'm sure that that's just one hit out of 4, 8 or 10, but at times, it seems like getting even 1 torp hit out of a full spread is a fairly successful torp launch.

Another thing to consider is that firing torps at rather long ranges will pretty much automatically guarantee a lower number of hits because of how much torps can spread out at range.  OTOH, if you have a DD with fairly shortish ranged torps, they won't have as much time to spread out due to their shorter maximum range.

Overall, hit rates for torps are a rather dodgy stat.  You can aim absolutely perfectly, and then for some reason the enemy decides to turn and thus completely and sometimes unwittingly avoids those torps.  Maybe the target enemy was merely maneuvering against one of your team mates, and didn't have the slightest idea that there were torps inbound.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,941 posts

There are several reasons why the raw hit % on torps is misleading -- you've hit on one of them OP.   Torps that hit after target "death" don't count.

There's also the fact that players just speculatively spam torps into areas where they might get hits in a way that you'll almost never see done with main guns.

There's also the fact that despite getting a nice big white lead indicator of where to fire torps against a non-turning target, you'll see players fire without a lead -- again, not something seen with main gun fire very often.

There's also the fact that some players somehow get to higher tiers without ever learning that torpedoes have a maximum range... whereas main guns will tell you whether the target is even in "maybe" range.

Members
2,127 posts
78 battles
5 hours ago, DJC_499 said:

There was a thread here somewhere made by a very competent DD driver who basically says that torpedo hit rate is a worthless stat. Which I do agree.

Beta Testers
1,301 posts
15,821 battles
19 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

There was a thread here somewhere made by a very competent DD driver who basically says that torpedo hit rate is a worthless stat. Which I do agree.

Pretty  much this ^...I have an 8% hit ratio with torps  and rank 70th on the NA  server with torp kills among players with 5k games or more, so I would think that the avg is even lower than that and definitely much lower than 10%.

Beta Testers
928 posts
7,888 battles

There are even some who talk about using one spread of torpedoes to herd a target into another spread. An entire brace of torpedoes missed, to better the odds for another brace of torpedoes.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
6,941 posts

Torpedoes, being slower, also have a higher chance of still being "on the way" when the battle ends.

E: and one I was just reminded of... the idiots spamming their DWTs at destroyers...

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Sign in to follow this